• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 rebranding

Smokey

CurlySaysX said:
Japan out of a recession, usa recovering, mainstream pricing. Today's anouncemets will have a bigger and more positive affect than ff7 during the 32bit era. Sony have just cemented themselves into 2nd spot by the end of 2009.

34nh7jc.jpg

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
EmCeeGramr said:
It's almost like we're in some kind of weird dimensional rift, and the real PS3 that should have launched 3 years ago is finally coming out.

Yeah, no shit.

They even dropped the mutilated Linux feature.

Now if they could get rid of those ugly blu-ray cases and return to dvd-style casing...

jaydogg691

DXPetti said:
I fall in the do not like camp in regards to the new font etc... Looks way too, how should I put it, "soft cock"ish :lol

Regardless as I have said in other threads if it helps get more people into the Playstation Brand then so be it. That means more cash-ola for improvements!

Definately feels like they are trying to reboot the franchise, back to the PS1-PS2 era
Man, I should put all my hate aside and focus on this. I guess the more I see the logo, the more I'll get use to it.

CurlySaysX said:
Japan out of a recession, usa recovering, mainstream pricing. Today's anouncemets will have a bigger and more positive affect than ff7 during the 32bit era. Sony have just cemented themselves into 2nd spot by the end of 2009.

So you think Sony are going to sell over 8 million PS3's in the next 4 months?

CurlySaysX said:

Well, admittedly I am expecting a noticeable improvement in worldwide performance, but getting into second place by end of 2009 would take a miracle imo. Aren't they about 7 million behind the X360? End of 2010 would be more realistic and even that would be pushing. Also, bigger than FF7 in the 32 bit era? If that were to happen, the internet would erupt. I like the new logo. Not better than the old one, but it is pretty nice.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Mr. Sam said:
They don't fit in with my 360 games, DVDs. Everything must be neat!

DVDs have different cases than CDs. Blu-Rays have different cases than DVDs.

IrishNinja

kay said:
It's not just possible, it's exactly what had happened.

Jeez, I must be obsessive about box arts as 50% of my posts recently have been about them. But it does look better, much cleaner. Have an example.

138170e.jpg

9pyzhw.jpg

Proportions are off, oh well.

that looks good, looks clean. much love.

those of you in love with the old boxes, bit OT but The Cover Project is really awesome for replacing covers or finding templates with better art. sounds crazy, but i totally picked up some empty DVD cases and used their art to put most of my PSX & DC games into a more symmetrical library, and i think it looks great.

Mr. Sam

kruis said:
DVDs have different cases than CDs.

Which is why I don't have many CDs.

Blu-Rays have different cases than DVDs.

Not really the same thing though, is it? I see your point, but the difference between CD and DVD is not the same difference between DVD and Blu-ray.

Acosta

Love the new boxes (except for the red line). Less space for useless branding and more for cover art is good news.

Tonza

I liked the spidy font. :\
And The new box stripe looks worse than the previous. They could've done something to that psn bubble on PAL boxes if they are changing the boxes.

KtSlime

Mr. Sam: What? How are they different, they are 5 inch discs that hold different amounts of information depending on the laser wavelength used to read them.

The media doesn't care what the data is on it, CD's have had video on them, DVDs have had audio, and all of them have had games and software on them.

I like the old cases better. I don't know why, but I just prefer having "PLAYSTATION 3" running along the spine as opposed to the top. If they want to make a change for the better get rid of the annoying "Only on Playstation" and "Playstation Network" bars.

IrishNinja said:
those of you in love with the old boxes, bit OT but The Cover Project is really awesome for replacing covers or finding templates with better art. sounds crazy, but i totally picked up some empty DVD cases and used their art to put most of my PSX & DC games into a more symmetrical library, and i think it looks great.

I would do this for some of the used games I've bought (complete with shitty GameStop "box art", ugh), but wouldn't the inserts look pretty bad printed on a home printer?

IrishNinja

Night_Trekker said:
I would do this for some of the used games I've bought (complete with shitty GameStop "box art", ugh), but wouldn't the inserts look pretty bad printed on a home printer?

that's exactly why i looked into it. and yeah, the blacks arent dark enough there, the printer at work does em better...they have this whole guide on what stock paper/quality printer if youre really hardcore about it.
another cool thing is they have a FAQ about where to get universal cartridge fitting cases for not too much, id love to try that out for my SNES collection.

So freaking ugly.

The spines won't match with the old ones and even with the new ones it looks so bad.
The PS symbol should be all the way to the right, and colored, not stupid silver.
PS3 should be used on the spine, not on the cover, the cover should have PlayStation 3 like PS2 titles did.

And the PSN symbol, name and stamp can go fuck themselves. Put that shit on the back.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's gonna be odd lining up PS3 games and having 2 different spine styles :/

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
OnPoint said:
But you might get it confused with games for your other systems without it. C'mon man, think.

Don't know... maybe the word playstation written 4 times in 4 different fonts all over the case?

It's their attempt to appeal to the PS2 crowd.
The logo is similar to the PS2 logo

And Sony doing a pets game. Ahh the times.

they should've called it Catsony or Sogs
:lol

since they're steering away from the Spiderman font, is the new firmware gonna change the little chime that plays when you start a ps3 game? it shows the spiderman font and bing bong bing. :p

akachan ningen said:
since they're steering away from the Spiderman font, is the new firmware gonna change the little chime that plays when you start a ps3 game? it shows the spiderman font and bing bong bing. :p

In the 1up unboxing of the PS3 slim, the new logo is in place of the old spiderman font logo at startup.

BocoDragon said:
It's gonna be odd lining up PS3 games and having 2 different spine styles :/

But I have a feeling we may see a website pop up that adjusts the current are to fit the new style. Having high quality scans of old art would make it easy to drop into the new design...

SSJ1Goku

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
It's almost like we're in some kind of weird dimensional rift, and the real PS3 that should have launched 3 years ago is finally coming out.

I completely agree

gundamps3.jpg

Awesome new branding

Cruzader

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
So freaking ugly.

The spines won't match with the old ones and even with the new ones it looks so bad.
The PS symbol should be all the way to the right, and colored, not stupid silver.
PS3 should be used on the spine, not on the cover, the cover should have PlayStation 3 like PS2 titles did.

And the PSN symbol, name and stamp can go fuck themselves. Put that shit on the back.
Wait what? They are changing how the box arts look? NOOOOO!

SSJ1Goku

Banned
Mojo said:
Just realised, this may be the end of this garbage:

wbumb6.jpg

Please Sony, no more yellow ever again.

Real quick could someone tell me how much are PS3 plat titles, I'm going to get some with my Slim.

I'm glad that they're changing their brand approach and the new logo looks tons better than the original one. I just wish that they could get rid of the old spiderman font from the game cases.

They've gone for a look that feels inviting and fun and I think they have succedded with the logo at least (Its a million miles away from that horrible pretentious crap they had before!)

Ello

Bitmap Frogs said:
Yeah, no shit.

They even dropped the mutilated Linux feature.

Now if they could get rid of those ugly blu-ray cases and return to dvd-style casing...

Um... no. They look great, perfect size.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
jaydogg691 said:
Does anyone know when Sony started using jewel CD cases for PS1?

I want to say it was around July 1996 and that the first (if not the very first then definitely one of the first) games to ship in a jewel case in the US was Sim City 2000 (which came in case similar to FFVII to hold the instruction manual). I remember buying it and thinking WTF they just changed the cases again? At the time there were maybe 2-3 other games in jewel cases on the shelf.

El-Suave

I like the Blu Ray cases, but with the new setup that means having two horizontal bars at once which looks kind of stupid.

Most important while they're rebranding though - get rid of the ugly PSN button (or make it removable).

noah111

Still Alive
jakeellis01 said:
anyone can link me to a high res new brand logo or even better the original fonts used? closest i could find is this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/76/PS3_Slim_Logo.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
That's the largest I can find as well at this point, Sony have yet to update their press site with hi-res shots of the system/new logo.

They gotta stick with something. How many designs are they going to go through? I like the new one as does just about everybody...now they need to saturate themselves with it and stop using 3 or 4 fonts and logos for 3 or 4 different things. That's why they call it branding, sony. Association. Association. Association.

Firewire

Banned
I love the now official new logo. But I never really minded the old spidy font either, it took time but spidy grew on me.

Tiktaalik

It would be nice to see the spiderman typeface die a horrible death. It still seems like it's going to be on some of the branding. While Sony is in the process of rebranding they should just get rid of it everywhere.

Top Bottom