• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My main concern is for the children" Louisiana firmly in the 20th century still!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/15/interracial-couple-denied_n_322784.html

HAMMOND, La. — A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have. Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.

Neither Bardwell nor the couple immediately returned phone calls from The Associated Press. But Bardwell told the Daily Star of Hammond that he was not a racist.

"I do ceremonies for black couples right here in my house," Bardwell said. "My main concern is for the children."

Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

"I don't do interracial marriages because I don't want to put children in a situation they didn't bring on themselves," Bardwell said. "In my heart, I feel the children will later suffer."

If he does an interracial marriage for one couple, he must do the same for all, he said.

"I try to treat everyone equally," he said.

Thirty-year-old Beth Humphrey and 32-year-old Terence McKay, both of Hammond, say they will consult the U.S. Justice Department about filing a discrimination complaint.

The best part of this asshole judge is the ironic "treat everyone equally" quote.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
As a mulatto child, I suffer.

Being confused for a Latino makes me lead an arduous life.

I don't think he is a racist, he's just making a naive conclusion based on his limited personal experience. I know people with similar views - concern for any children - but I don't believe they would go as far as actually denying a couple the right to marry.

Count Dookkake said:
Not a very Loving attitude.

I don't know how you do it. It's a gift man. A gift.

Also I lived in this town for 4 years. I refer to it as Hammond Eggs, Louisiana. It's a little bigger then most hick towns in Louisiana, but a hick town nonetheless.

Might as well stop fat people from procreating as well. What if they have fat children? Think of the teasing they'll endure!

Interracial women are generally very hot, I'm all for mixing to see what the best combinations are.

Kusagari

So, he denied them a marriage license on the CHANCE that they'll have children? Wow, :lol

How is denying them a marriage license going to keep them for having kids anyway?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.

So does the dude not issue marriage licenses to 18-year-olds either? The number of marriages that involve 18-year-olds that last literally approaches 0.

Shit, he might as well stop giving them out at all these days.

Seriously, this is a government offical telling people who they should and shouldn't be with? Fuck him seriously, even if they didn't get married that doesn't stop them from having kids. Dumbass logic is dumb.

Tamanon

Banned
Cheebs said:
Has anyone told this guy the president of the united states came from a interracial marriage?

I don't think that would be a convincing argument for him. Plus, that marriage ended shortly in divorce.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I don't even understand this thought process, stepping away from the ridiculous interracial baby coddling (bitches can take care of themselves!)... Does he think the only thing barring this couple from reproducing is him not signing their marriage certificate? Like... does he understand the reproductive process?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
welcome to the deep south, where no one should breed//
and those old ropes still hang from family trees//

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
SpeedingUptoStop said:
The god damn president is an interracial marriage child.

The god damn president!
Maybe that's just the problem. Can't have more Tiger Woods running around!

giga

lovejoy.jpg

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
SpeedingUptoStop said:
The god damn president is an interracial marriage child.

The god damn president!
bu bu but.. teh suffering! We must prevent it! Look at how broken Tiger Woods is!

This is some fucking bullshit and he should lose his job. No questions asked.

harSon

Banned
I haven't had any problems!

Well, other then the fact that people won't acknowledge me as anything but Black.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ok.. where do I start? WTF???? How does a person like this have a job of power? Why are people ok with this???

Phobophile said:
As a mulatto child, I suffer.

Being confused for a Latino makes me lead an arduous life.

:lol :lol :lol This I understand

And been working the clubs here for a number of years. One guy, a real nice guy, thinks I am from the PR (like him) and speaks to me in Spanish EVERY time he sees me. Which is like once a month at least...

:/

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
maharg said:
Especially the fact that he must have gone to all the effort to build a blacks-only bathroom in his house to make sure everything was fair.

Oh, I don't think that was too much trouble.

29gifc3.jpg

Just a little digging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom