• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online,early 2010,beta around the corner...

mr stroke

GS has it releasing in late Feb,

too many games coming around that time, hopefully its good enough to weather the storm

Darklord

Banned
I got pretty turned off when they said everyones a captain. I loved the idea of huge starships being run by a group of people like a guild or something. They should have made it like EVE online just without the brutal difficulty and complexity. They didn't need on foot missions other then walking around on starbases or something.

guggnichso

Banned
What's totally putting me off of this game is that it uses the same engine as Champions Online.

That engine plain sucks and performs like shit :(

Askani

Darklord said:
I got pretty turned off when they said everyones a captain. I loved the idea of huge starships being run by a group of people like a guild or something. They should have made it like EVE online just without the brutal difficulty and complexity. They didn't need on foot missions other then walking around on starbases or something.

I was thinking about that when I read the announcement, but then I tried to think of the alternative. What would the Captain do in that style of game? I don't think it would be possible, outside of real life Trek roleplayers, for one person to put together a team of people to take stations up on his ship and do exactly what he said week in and week out. For the normal playing population, the Captain would basically sit in the chair while his Conn person does whatever they want and the Tactical guy fires at will and the Engineering guy tries to keep some power/engine setting in some acceptable range or adjusts shields or whatever. And that's even with a static party. A PuG, if it was even available, would be a nightmare.

Anyway, at least that's how I imagined it. I don't really see a good system for people interacting as a crew would and having it actually work in game.

Darklord said:

The problem is, how do you make one guild running an entire ship fun and practical? Your just going to have a bunch of players who who all want to take the ship to bunch of different places and crew members rage quite because they can't get their way and are sick and tired of the fix 20 replicators grind missions, or some griefer pilots the ship into a sun.

The guild on a ship idea simply removes too much autonomy from the player.

Also why would you be upset at going down to planets? I admit I can't recall an episode of any trek series or movie where they left the ship either, but it seems it would be a nice change of pace. I think they should call the group of people who leave the ship Away Teams, because they are away from the ship, get it.

Also, every one starts out as the captain of a ship, (something like a Runabout, when you start) not with the rank of Captain. As you gain rank, you get bigger or more specialized ships.

JdFoX187

Banned
Pudding Tame said:
The problem is, how do you make one guild running an entire ship fun and practical? Your just going to have a bunch of players who who all want to take the ship to bunch of different places and crew members rage quite because they can't get their way and are sick and tired of the fix 20 replicators grind missions, or some griefer pilots the ship into a sun.

Also why would you be upset at going down to planets? I admit I can't recall an episode of any trek series or movie where they left the ship either, but it seems it would be a nice change of pace. I think they should call the group of people who leave the ship Away Teams, because they are away from the ship, get it.

Also, every one starts out as the captain of a ship, (something like a Runabout, when you start) not with the rank of Captain. As you gain rank, you get bigger or more specialized ships.
They were always leaving the ship to go on missions. There aren't many episodes, at least in TOS and TNG, where they stay on the ship for the entire show. DS9 is a different story, but even when they start exploring the Gamma Quadrant, they go down to the surface a lot.

Tellaerin

JdFoX187 said:
They were always leaving the ship to go on missions. There aren't many episodes, at least in TOS and TNG, where they stay on the ship for the entire show. DS9 is a different story, but even when they start exploring the Gamma Quadrant, they go down to the surface a lot.

I believe his post was meant as sarcasm, Captain.

Darklord

Banned
Pudding Tame said:

You can have it like bridge commander or something. Have a ship using 3 or so players. 1 captain giving orders(what ships at attack, systems to target, flee, extra power to shield ect), a "gunner" who fires the weapons and a player to pilot the ship. A guild could run a whole fleet like that. Lower level players could fly smaller, 1 manned ships.

Maybe even have boarding parties or something? Make it like Star Trek, not...you know, 'same old shit' MMO #745631

This isn't a FPS, it's not waves of ships and fast paced action. Look at other MMO's, if your a healer in WoW then you heal, that's it. 40 man raid and you're doing the one spell over and over and over and over and over.

Also the whole planet thing seems like it'll be a WoW clone down on planets. I hate that.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Wintastic! I love the everyone's-a-captain approach, actually.

An MMO I want to really play. Who would've thought?

Afrikan

2 things...

is the PS3 version still coming out???

and of course...

Romulan Warbird FTW!!!

star_trek_online_50.jpg

Askani

Massively.com said:
The Star Trek Online closed beta has officially begun as of today, October 22, Cryptic Studios announced. Rekhan from Cryptic Studios writes: "If you've signed up, keep an eye on your email, as we'll periodically be inviting people to join in and share their feedback." He also pointed out that the "Closed Beta" graphic seen on the game's homepage will change to read "ACCEPTED" in big, bold letters once you're in.

So if you applied for Beta...start checking those email accounts.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My buddy is playing the beta right now. He's a huge trekkie, so he's totally into it, but he's saying the game so far feels a bit too much like Champions.

He also said the space combat is kinda poopy at the moment. I'm going to check out where he is in the beta when I have a chance.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I preordered this from Amazon so I can get the beta key to try the game out. I am hoping that it is at least entertaining, but if not at least I can cancel my order.

Star Trek games have been so disappointing since Bethesda got the license (yes, I realize this isn't Bethesda). Not that they were great or anything before that, but at least Activision would shit out some games that were at least mediocre or better.

Axiom

I enjoyed Champions well enough, it just didn't have enough content to make rolling alts...half the fun in that sort of game, anything but a chore.

Shame the beta keeps crashing to the degree I can't really get any info from the stream.

Anyone know if this and CO would run under the same subcription fee ala Sony's Station pass?

DangerousDave said:
Wow... there is really very few hype in GAF about this game, even with the open beta being launched in less than a month.
I'm willing to give it a try just to see how they approached the whole huge world thing with star trek, tbh I hardly know anything about this game at all.

DangerousDave said:
Wow... there is really very few hype in GAF about this game, even with the open beta being launched in less than a month.

Well these guys have a rep for making superficial MMO's and I dont think many people will fall for that trap again, at least not the gamers in the know.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
guggnichso said:
What's totally putting me off of this game is that it uses the same engine as Champions Online.

That engine plain sucks and performs like shit :(

No it doesnt, You just have a shit computer. It scales very well.

Prezhulio

Afrikan said:
is the PS3 version still coming out???

i want to know this too. for some reason i think i remember looking at their forums this summer and it seemed like they had canned development for it.

MelloBoy

Neo Member
have had access to closed beta for a while but haven't really had the desire to try it out...might put in some time this weekend to see what it's like...

MonkeyMoves said:
Well these guys have a rep for making superficial MMO's and I dont think many people will fall for that trap again, at least not the gamers in the know.

Well, the only MMO that Cryptic has done is City of Heroes. I didn't play it, but it seems to have quite good reviews.

But, more than even the universe, I'm interested in that middle term between EVE and WoW, with 2 factions, space combat more tactical than EVE and ground combat with squads.

Tellaerin

MonkeyMoves said:

'Superficial MMO's'? You mean like this?

Darklord said:
Look at other MMO's, if your a healer in WoW then you heal, that's it. 40 man raid and you're doing the one spell over and over and over and over and over.

I'll take something 'superficial' like City of Heroes over that any day.

Malfunky

You can always rely on your standard WoW-bashing posts in any MMO thread.

I've been watching this game since it was announced. Followed it a bit when Perpetual was making it, too. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm worried about its short development time. By the time the game comes out, Cryptic will have only worked on it for around 2 years. Cautious optimism, yeh.

Malfunky said:
You can always rely on your standard WoW-bashing posts in any MMO thread.

I've been watching this game since it was announced. Followed it a bit when Perpetual was making it, too. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm worried about its short development time. By the time the game comes out, Cryptic will have only worked on it for around 2 years. Cautious optimism, yeh.

Yeah, 2 years seems quite short dev time for a MMO. But they used the engine of City of Heroes, so it wasn't from scratch and the main tasks were probably (aside of space navigation) of design, balancing and level design. We'll see, probably it will start a little too barebone, and too based of the semi-random world generator, but all the features announced seems to have potential. It seems that they found (and avoided) the main problems of EVE.

Juice

I'm trying to figure out the right place to pre-order it from, I don't like each of the options for their own reasons, but most importantly that it's unclear if you order online when or whether the early access key is really going to get sent to you.

Retail lists / bonuses: http://www.startrekonline.com/retail

B&M's: Walmart | Best Buy | Target - Crummy bonuses, the links to online orders are full price, and there's no indication that ordering online from any of them will get you the code you need to play in the beta.

GameStop - Requires paying money to GameStop

D2D/Steam - I'm still not sold on either of these. I hate that they suck resources in the background and require an account in good standing to access the games.

Atari Digital Deluxe Download Charges you an extra $4 to re-download after 30 days, and even then, only for two years. Lame. If you buy the DVD from Atari do you get no bonus?

Amazon - Requires you pay full price up front (virtually all of them do though), no indication as to when the preorder key will be sent.

I feel like this is just about the stupidest way Atari could have gone about this. I was about to pull the trigger, but now they've opened up this entire damn matrix of goodies & retailers to analyze before making a decision. The fact that the best rewards are from the retailers I least want to deal with (and vice versa) is another thing delaying my buying it.

Ashodin

Juice said:
I'm trying to figure out the right place to pre-order it from, I don't like each of the options for their own reasons, but most importantly that it's unclear if you order online when or whether the early access key is really going to get sent to you.

Retail lists / bonuses: http://www.startrekonline.com/retail

B&M's: Walmart | Best Buy | Target - Crummy bonuses, the links to online orders are full price, and there's no indication that ordering online from any of them will get you the code you need to play in the beta.

GameStop - Requires paying money to GameStop

D2D/Steam - I'm still not sold on either of these. I hate that they suck resources in the background and require an account in good standing to access the games.

Atari Digital Deluxe Download Charges you an extra $4 to re-download after 30 days, and even then, only for two years. Lame. If you buy the DVD from Atari do you get no bonus?

Amazon - Requires you pay full price up front (virtually all of them do though), no indication as to when the preorder key will be sent.

I feel like this is just about the stupidest way Atari could have gone about this. I was about to pull the trigger, but now they've opened up this entire damn matrix of goodies & retailers to analyze before making a decision. The fact that the best rewards are from the retailers I least want to deal with (and vice versa) is another thing delaying my buying it.

OMG, 5 dollars not enough for you? Easiest choice is GameStop. You get a USS Constitution class from the Original Series that is upgradeable as you go along, different from the tier system of ships they have in place.

Juice

Maxrpg said:
OMG, 5 dollars not enough for you? Easiest choice is GameStop. You get a USS Constitution class from the Original Series that is upgradeable as you go along, different from the tier system of ships they have in place.

If you'd read what I said, it's that at none of the online retailers for purchasing a disc (other than from Atari, where apparently that also means no bonuses), can you just pay $5 today. If you try buying online from Amazon/Best Buy/Walmart they process the full price transaction today (and by process, I don't mean charge you, I mean keep you on the hook to charge you at ship. I'd be wary of it being an easy gig to cancel after you're already in the beta if you so choose).

Super Edit: I was being overly paranoid. I just pre-ordered from Amazon b/c there's an easy link to cancel the order prior to ship, they acknowledged the beta access code on the page, and I'll save ~8 on the lower price & no tax.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
wait....so...if I want original series uniforms, I have to buy the deluxe online version, but if I want the Next Generation/DS9 uniforms, I need to buy the deluxe retail edition?

...weak...

Screaming_Gremlin

I despise stupid retail specific item bonuses. To make it even more confusing, when the Steam version becomes available you will get access to some goofy looking character armor from that shitty last episode of Voyager. And I want to say Target has a preorder item as well, the TR-116 (or whatever that gun was from the 7th season episode of DS9).

Screaming_Gremlin

The_Technomancer said:
wait....so...if I want original series uniforms, I have to buy the deluxe online version, but if I want the Next Generation/DS9 uniforms, I need to buy the deluxe retail edition?

...weak...

Pretty sure they have already made comments about how in the future you will be able to purchase the other pre-order bonuses as some sort of micro-charge. Because $15 a month just isn't enough.

Top Bottom