• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online,early 2010,beta around the corner...

Darklord

Banned
You know this game is actually coming out at a good time. As a Star Trek fan I'm looking for more, I haven't played an MMO in years and really want to try one out again but I also want to try out a space flying game too. If the galaxy is big enough with lots of exploring and what not, this could be exactly what I want.

I really hope this turns out well. They really needf to pick up on marketing though. I've had to seek out most info on this game. They need to be having ads on like every single sci-fi show on TV, hell have it on the big screen in front of Avatar. They gotta get it out there. By this time with WoW it was EVERYWHERE. You couldn't not see about a million beta impressions, trailers and screenshots of it.

I'd pick TOR over it but that won't be out for months, even years.

Zen

Banned
I hate it when they offer distinctly different pre order bonuses. I can see the logic behind having a rich diversity of pre order bonuses to try and capture as many people as possible, but fracturing them between stores and methods just makes my indecisive and resentful.

Ugh. Although I guess this means I will be pre ordering, so, go go marketting team.

-NeoTB1-

Yeah, nothing about the footage they've released looks promising. I can see getting excited if you're a big Trekkie, but that's about it. Plus, I hated the City of Heroes and Champions Online games. If this is by the same people, I hold little hope of this being anything special.

I am glad to see another MMO take a crack at space combat though. I have my eye on the future releases of Jumpgate and Black Prophecy, but it will be interesting to see what STO does to try and establish themselves in that area.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Well, I'm a huge Trek fan, and I've read some positive impressions from GamesRadar and 1up, so I'm probably going to pre-order for the bonuses. I hope you can still pre-order in early January though; I can't justify the money now, but after various aunt and such give me cash for Christmas I'll be fine...

EDIT:
Q: If I purchase the Digital Deluxe Item from Steam, D2D, etc. will I also receive their retailer exclusives?

A: Yes.
Whew

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My buddy has been playing more now that they've added a substantial amount of patches (and it was open all weekend).

He showed me space battles, the quadrant map, and some away team stuff.

I'll tell the truth: it looks awesome. I really am excited to try it out.

thetrin said:
My buddy has been playing more now that they've added a substantial amount of patches (and it was open all weekend).

He showed me space battles, the quadrant map, and some away team stuff.

I'll tell the truth: it looks awesome. I really am excited to try it out.

Is the quadrant map big? Are there a lot of star systems you can travel to?

My plan at the moment is to try and definetly get the borg bridge officer, hopefully the constitution class and the khaan and bloodwine emote.

They confirmed if you buy multiple copies of the game for the pre order bonuses that they will also equate to free months of playing, I think its 3 free months for every copy you register.

Ember128

YYYYYEHEEEEEAEAAAAHHHHH!!!!

At least it's a little bit closer.

I recall playing Bridge Commander with someone, me in a Klingon BOP, him in a Romulan Warbird. I dodged around in the low visibility gas cloud, so he couldn't predict my shots, but I was unable to do any real, meaningful damage on him. Any major volley would do serious damage to me, as my shields had been wearing down.

I hid behind an asteroid in the gas cloud, taunted him to charge me, and he went straight forward, firing everything.

The Star Wars quote "Asteroids are of no concern to the empire...." Is probably accurate here, as the warbird was crippled but intact after smashing headlong into the asteroid I was hiding behind, although not intact for long.

This is of course not taing into accoutn the 3 times I was running away in SAID BOP and smashed into an Asteroid, dying outright. Clearly avoidable asteroids are apparently of no concern to someone flying a Bird of Prey, either.

Perhaps I shall settle some quarrels we have had with phasers in space.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
The_Technomancer said:
I hope you can still pre-order in early January though; I can't justify the money now, but after various aunt and such give me cash for Christmas I'll be fine...

You will definitely be able to pre-order still in January. I don't think the game is even up yet on Steam.

Screaming_Gremlin

Speaking of unlockables. I just got TOS season 3 on Blu-Ray and there was a code inside of it to unlock the Star Trek 2-6 movie uniforms in STO, which is pretty sweet since they were my favorite.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
not sure if this has been detailed thoroughly before, but a colleague of mine is in beta and was able to discuss the character creation.

If you'd like to read, here's the full article: Star Trek Character Creation

Here are some pulled quotes for those who don't want to traverse on over:

"It begins with the selection of the career. Three are available – engineering officer (can create personal shields and a support class with turrets and drones for support fire), science officer (can heal damage, versatile in combat, can create energy fields) and tactical officer (specializes in combat damage, stealth recon and squad tactics). From there it is on to species selection – there are six prebuilt species with racial traits, or you can hit the unknown button and start to create your own race (either male or female). Twenty-three traits are available at the outset and these affect your overall character attributes. For example, you could take on the passive soldier trait, which increases critical hit damage and ranged weapon damage, or go with Warp Theorist, which will increase starship warp core training by +10.

Then the fun really begins. The head customization area has 15 drop-down menus that control everything from organic attachments to the overall head type. There are 32 additional sliders to control elements such as cranium slope, eye size, nose bridge height and so on. "

JWong

Banned
I want in beta...

Is the signups and stuff over? Or is it really exclusive beta?

I don't remember there being a sign up... or I missed it.

Darklord

Banned
JWong said:
I want in beta...

Is the signups and stuff over? Or is it really exclusive beta?

I don't remember there being a sign up... or I missed it.

Has it started? Don't most MMO's take like...6 months of beta work? This is out in just over a month...

"BTW, if you have Comcast you get a lifetime (i think) account to Fileplanet."

Nah, they stopped doing that sometime in 2008.

"Has it started? Don't most MMO's take like...6 months of beta work? This is out in just over a month..."

This has been in closed beta for months now.

noisome07

Banned
JWong said:
Fileplanet's thing is open beta, right?

I signed up for beta long ago, so... >_>

It says closed beta on the page, haha

stoHdr.jpg

JWong

Banned
noisome07 said:
It says closed beta on the page, haha

stoHdr.jpg
MOTHER FFF!

Someone give me their founder's club subscription beta. 8) please?

Edit: Whoa wait... I guess I'll just wait for 3 days.

Minamu

Anyone else having trouble with getting into the beta via fileplanet? The site says "Founders' Club subscribers get sneak peek access until Monday 10 am PST". I'm pretty sure that 10 AM PST has passed a long time ago, right?

I tried Champions Online to taste any other Cryptic MMO, and I'm really impressed. I've never got as much PvE fun (except for WoW). So I have a lot of expectations in STO.

But the only thing that worries me is that Champions is a very young MMO, with some lack of content (only level 40, need to do 90% of the missions in order to level up, only 5 areas, even if they're very big...) and it was launched only a year ago.

So I don't know exactly the amount of designers that they have in Cryptic. I hope that they will be able to manage both MMO and there won't be too few content in STO.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I preordered recently, and I've been reading all the preview material I can find, and well, I'm excited, plain and simple. Open Beta can't arrive fast enough.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Sullen said:
It's pretty terrible, they really need to delay it and add *alot* more.

After the way they handled Champions Online, I can't say i'm surprised.

CAW

Was anyone able to get a beta key in the past day or two? Sadly I missed out on the multiple gaming site giveaways. I searched google last night and a lot of sites had giveaways but they didn't last very long and they all seemed to take place on around the 5th and 6th of this month. Crap!

Anyway, if anyone has a spare key or knows of an active giveaway please let me know. I've pre-ordered and bought so many MMOs lately that I didn't end up really getting into (Warhammer, Conan, Aion) , so I don't really want to go the same route without getting a chance to try it this time and I'm assuming the 'open beta' coming up is going to be pre-orders only (looks like anyway), and perhaps giveaways?

Serves me right I guess for not paying attention. :lol

Caspel said:
not sure if this has been detailed thoroughly before, but a colleague of mine is in beta and was able to discuss the character creation.

If you'd like to read, here's the full article: Star Trek Character Creation

Here are some pulled quotes for those who don't want to traverse on over:
Should see some unique characters and skill mixes out there then, much nicer then cookie cutter stuff.

If the face editor is like aion with loads of sliders that is also awesome, I want to try this game out but not at launch, only brought aion a few months back and still enjoy it but this game is next on my mmo list.

Maxrpg said:
So wait, I can get into the beta faster than if I preordered?

I still think you need a beta key? Don't you?

I'm curious about this game but I've barely heard anything about it and I really want to try before I buy.

CAW

DoctorWho said:
I still think you need a beta key? Don't you?
I believe so. A closed beta key will be good until the 12th. On the 12th the 'open beta' opens and you can then use your pre-order key to access that stage of the beta.

Apparently the giveaways that have been going on grant you access to both the closed beta and the open beta. Sadly, getting a key is tough as most websites only have between 50-100 keys and they go fast.

I haven't found any recent giveaways, however Game Trailers has been posting keys at random on Twitter.

Good luck! I think I'm just going to have to pre-order yet another MMO to try it out.

Managed to get a key from Eurogamer the other day. Hoping I'll have the client downloaded so I can play tonight, the speed is all over the place though. Should be able to get on late tonight at the latest.

Honestly I'm very wary of the game as the footage hasn't looked great to me, so I'm glad to have a chance to try it out.

enewtabie

It's looking good. Can't wait to give it a try.
Having dealt with the Trek Community in the past. I think this is something even the finnicky fans might enjoy.

Looks interesting from the live stream. I think I'm going to preorder it on Steam and try out the beta. If I like it then I'll keep the preorder, but if not then cancel.

JWong

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
Looks interesting from the live stream. I think I'm going to preorder it on Steam and try out the beta. If I like it then I'll keep the preorder, but if not then cancel.
You can do that? Wouldn't you be buying it immediately with steam?

JWong said:

For preorders, you can cancel your order and get a refund. Once the game is released though, you can't get a refund unless the game is just not functional for you.

Screaming_Gremlin

JWong said:

I think if you contact their customer service before the game releases they can remove it from your account and refund you. More work than it is worth. If all you want to do is try the beta, preorder from Amazon. If you dislike the game you cancel the order online and never be charged. Hell, even if you like the game you can cancel and then preorder on Steam.

Screaming_Gremlin said:
I think if you contact their customer service before the game releases they can remove it from your account and refund you. More work than it is worth. If all you want to do is try the beta, preorder from Amazon. If you dislike the game you cancel the order online and never be charged. Hell, even if you like the game you can cancel and then preorder on Steam.

True. Does Amazon charge right away or do they wait till the release?

Edit: Nevermind. I just remembered my experiences with trying to get a beta key for Champions Online through Amazon. I preordered the game a few days before the official start and the key did not show up for a good week and half. I had to contact support several times for the key.

Top Bottom