• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online,early 2010,beta around the corner...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Dance In My Blood said:
Look on the bright side. You'll be able to play the first twenty levels of the game six months after it flops on release.
C'mon, City of Heroes has lasted like six years, and its still got a playerbase, and this has a huge name like Star Trek behind it. Maybe it'll do alright, right? right? guys? right?

The_Technomancer said:
C'mon, City of Heroes has lasted like six years, and its still got a playerbase, and this has a huge name like Star Trek behind it. Maybe it'll do alright, right? right? guys? right?

Star Wars Galaxies. Is that even still going?

Can someone tell me if there are missions to planets that have nothing to do with the klingon war. Maybe a planet with an evil dictator or an unknow alien race? Or maybe even a planet with a god like creature similar to the type of thing you would see in TOS.

That is what this game seems to be missing.

Hell, even MMOs like wow have that sense of exploration and discovery. Discovering a new Zone was always fun and exciting. Star Trek is all about that. I'd hate to think it is missing.

fizzelopeguss said:
Is it possible to fly a ship with the exact same styling as the TOS 1701.

That's the most perfect design ever.

Yeah. Its from some pre-order key from some specific place. GameStop I think.

The Technomancer

DoctorWho said:
Well, yeah, but Galaxies had a whole mess of problems. First it took four months of play to reach jedi, and the game was about as complex as astrophysics, than anyone could roll jedi from the start, and they nerfed the combat while trying to fix it, and did this and that and all over just a mess. Cryptic seems to have done alright with Champions and CoH so far

Also, yeah, I pre-ordered from Atari.com, put my pre-order key into the website, and have heard nothing at all since. Hell, I haven't even gotten to download the client yet

DoctorWho said:

Yeah, it's still going. Think subscriber base is between 50,000 - 100,000. It took a nose dive after the patch that made it more casual friendly about two years ago, but was previously hovering around 250,000.

Surprisingly the game only took a nose dive in subscription base because the developers tried to fix it.

DoctorWho said:
Can someone tell me if there are missions to planets that have nothing to do with the klingon war. Maybe a planet with an evil dictator or an unknow alien race? Or maybe even a planet with a god like creature similar to the type of thing you would see in TOS.

That is what this game seems to be missing.

Hell, even MMOs like wow have that sense of exploration and discovery. Discovering a new Zone was always fun and exciting. Star Trek is all about that. I'd hate to think it is missing.

From what I've heard, you can discover galaxies that were previously unexplored in the galaxy and name them.

Druz

crimsonheadGCN said:
Yeah, it's still going. Think subscriber base is between 50,000 - 100,000. It took a nose dive after the patch that made it more casual friendly about two years ago, but was previously hovering around 250,000.

Surprisingly the game only took a nose dive in subscription base because the developers tried to fix it.

Game sucked the entire time though :p

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Blackface said:
The crafting, economy and community systems in SWG are still the best any game has ever had. EVE is right there when it comes to economy though.

Pretty much. The problem was that the game WAS broken and needed fixing, SOE took it upon themselves to "fix" all the right stuff about SWG and not fix the actual broken parts of the game. The end product was a game that was totally broken.

The combat needed fixing, so all the combat classes could have used some fixing and tweaking. I found that the crafting/community classes were awesome and shouldn't have been touched (they were essential to the crafting and economy).

The Technomancer

BobLoblaw said:
Got mine like last Wednesday I believe.
Well, what are we talking about here? I got my pre-order key as soon as I preregistered with Atari.com, but when I entered it in the STO website, nothing at all happened, so I don't have, say, a login for the beta.

BobLoblaw

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Well, what are we talking about here? I got my pre-order key as soon as I preregistered with Atari.com, but when I entered it in the STO website, nothing at all happened, so I don't have, say, a login for the beta.
I was actually talking about closed beta. :D OB starts tomorrow I believe.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
basis said:
i could be wrong, but ...
u need to unlock pvp chars similar to precu jedi

Nah, you can PVP right off the bat if you want. It's got a WoW style battleground system where you can queue up and fight. There are open PVP zones as well.

You do have to unlock the Klingons (which are PVP only), but thats done when you hit lvl 6.

HUELEN10

Fuck this game. ;_; I want it so bad, and have my Gamestop (Fuck yeah Constitution Class bonus!) copy paid in full, but I don't meet minimum specs. Damn my 32-bit architecture. ;_;

This is the game that will put me in the hole over 1000 USD, just to get a new computer. My goal is to save up so I can be playing my summer. Can't wait. :D

EDIT: The 1k USD thing is NOT PC game trolling, I swear. I just noticed it might be perceived that way, so that is why I am clarifying. I need a machine that runs Fedora, Windows 7, and OS X, so my only cheap option ATM is an over 1k USD baseline iMac.

JWong

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
Fuck this game. ;_; I want it so bad, and have my Gamestop (Fuck yeah Constitution Class bonus!) copy paid in full, but I don't meet minimum specs. Damn my 32-bit architecture. ;_;

This is the game that will put me in the hole over 1000 USD, just to get a new computer. My goal is to save up so I can be playing my summer. Can't wait. :D

EDIT: The 1k USD thing is NOT PC game trolling, I swear. I just noticed it might be perceived that way, so that is why I am clarifying. I need a machine that runs Fedora, Windows 7, and OS X, so my only cheap option ATM is an over 1k USD baseline iMac.
What is your current PC spec?

Taking a look at the minimum specs, it's like a PC from maybe 6 years old.

HUELEN10

JWong said:
What is your current PC spec?

Taking a look at the minimum specs, it's like a PC from maybe 6 years old.
I own the last of the 32-bit MacBook Pros...

Yeah, almost 4, and showing its age. :(

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Hey guys, I am giving away 10 Star Trek Online beta keys via Twitter. The twitter address is: http://twitter.com/GameZoneOnline. A GAF member just won a Mass Effect N7 shirt from my company, so chances are high with winning :) (unless Star Trek fans flock to the twitter haha)

JdFoX187

Banned
30 minutes until my beta client is finally finished downloading. Thing is taking forever. Can't wait to get on there tomorrow :D

CAW

JdFoX187 said:
30 minutes until my beta client is finally finished downloading. Thing is taking forever. Can't wait to get on there tomorrow :D
There's also a 2gb patch after the game downloads. ;)
Caspel said:
Hey guys, I am giving away 10 Star Trek Online beta keys via Twitter. The twitter address is: http://twitter.com/GameZoneOnline. A GAF member just won a Mass Effect N7 shirt from my company, so chances are high with winning :) (unless Star Trek fans flock to the twitter haha)
Very cool. Re-tweeted (my twitter: http://twitter.com/gizm0o)

Hari Seldon

I have about 6-7 hours into the beta now. It is kind of meh. I think I'm going to wait 6 months after release and see how the game is doing before I commit.

Space combat is fun, and space combat with a fleet is even more fun. But ground combat is terrible generic MMO combat. It seems like the missions beyond the initial scripted ones are just random crap like in SWG (although more fun). I haven't tried the pvp yet. All of the customizations and upgrades though are very satisfying. I don't understand if you can explore things, it seems like there is a set number of systems you can explore and that is it, but I haven't ventured too far yet.

There are a lot of bugs still, and many missing tutorials and explanations. This game could use 6 more months in the cooker.

Ricker

Caspel said:

Done and following...it says i`m the 14th to do so though,so I guess i`m out...good luck everyone.

JdFoX187

Banned
Hari Seldon said:
I have about 6-7 hours into the beta now. It is kind of meh. I think I'm going to wait 6 months after release and see how the game is doing before I commit.

Space combat is fun, and space combat with a fleet is even more fun. But ground combat is terrible generic MMO combat. It seems like the missions beyond the initial scripted ones are just random crap like in SWG (although more fun). I haven't tried the pvp yet. All of the customizations and upgrades though are very satisfying. I don't understand if you can explore things, it seems like there is a set number of systems you can explore and that is it, but I haven't ventured too far yet.

There are a lot of bugs still, and many missing tutorials and explanations. This game could use 6 more months in the cooker.
Someone said there is a large patch coming out when the Beta becomes open. That could be to fix a lot of the glitches and bugs that have popped up.

JWong

Banned
Hari Seldon said:
But ground combat is terrible generic MMO combat.
Well, there goes Star Wars TOR for you. 8P

It's really the space fighting that's drawing me in for Star Trek because it isn't the same as any other MMO. Not even like EVE because it controls a lot more easily.

Hari Seldon

JWong said:
Well, there goes Star Wars TOR for you. 8P

It's really the space fighting that's drawing me in for Star Trek because it isn't the same as any other MMO. Not even like EVE because it controls a lot more easily.

Yeah the space combat is probably the biggest strength of this game. My only hope is that in later levels, they introduce more mechanics to keep things fresh. While I'm having fun maneuvering and firing my lasers and torpedos, I can imagine this getting old after a while unless something new is added later on.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Ricker said:
Done and following...it says i`m the 14th to do so though,so I guess i`m out...good luck everyone.

It's not the first 10 -- winners are randomly selected.

The Technomancer

JWong said:
Oh...

Yep
Characters get reset after the beta? Than that means I'm making...
motivatorf98ec044af8d50bcfdd964caedc45a71d228db58.jpg

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
I was just in a 500 ship fleet battle in Eve, this looks pants compared to it

shame really, the original team had a really good idea having capital ships as guilds (although possibly not the best game play idea, at least it felt more faithful)

I hate the art style and the UI as well. it looks and feels like a toy

as cheesy as star trek could be, it is an absolutely fantastic universe to build a dynamic, player driven MMO from, what we have seen from cryptic IMO is a bit of a disgrace if I'm honest, with pvp and pve battlegrounds that have as much overall meaning to the universe as a quake 3 arena battle or WoW battleground :(

Soroc

I put in about 6 hours into the beta and my biggest complaint so far besides not feeling MMOish is what I call a rubber band effect. It seems like whenever I'm moving either on foot or in a ship that my controlled unit just snaps into place and I'm constantly fighting against the mechanics for control. Its really disjointing and majorly game-breaking for me. Its really unfortunate. I agree with others though that I like the space combat much more than the rest of the game.

Is anyone else experiencing this rubber band effect?

BobLoblaw

Banned
dogmaan said:
I was just in a 500 ship fleet battle in Eve, this looks pants compared to it

shame really, the original team had a really good idea having capital ships as guilds (although possibly not the best game play idea, at least it felt more faithful)

I hate the art style and the UI as well. it looks and feels like a toy

as cheesy as star trek could be, it is an absolutely fantastic universe to build a dynamic, player driven MMO from, what we have seen from cryptic IMO is a bit of a disgrace if I'm honest, with pvp and pve battlegrounds that have as much overall meaning to the universe as a quake 3 arena battle or WoW battleground :(
Were you expecting a 500 ship battle in closed beta? :lol Something like that isn't likely to happen for months. IMO, the art style seems par for the course these days. Just look at TOR. I hate the exaggerated style that WoW has bred, since it's crept it's way into two of my favorite IPs (ST and SW) but I've come to accept it. The UI could use some work, but UIs are never finished at launch, much less a closed beta.

For people on the fence, I'd probably wait 4-6 months post release to see if they can address some of the sometimes glaring problems with the game. I enjoyed my bit of time in CB and hopefully OB shows some more polish.

Also, Fileplanet has open beta keys if anyone's a subscriber.

BobLoblaw said:
Were you expecting a 500 ship battle in closed beta? :lol Something like that isn't likely to happen for months. IMO, the art style seems par for the course these days. Just look at TOR. I hate the exaggerated style that WoW has bred, since it's crept it's way into two of my favorite IPs (ST and SW) but I've come to accept it. The UI could use some work, but UIs are never finished at launch, much less a closed beta.

For people on the fence, I'd probably wait 4-6 months post release to see if they can address some of the sometimes glaring problems with the game. I enjoyed my bit of time in CB and hopefully OB shows some more polish.

Also, Fileplanet has open beta keys if anyone's a subscriber.

Yeah, the art style is one of the things I do like about this game although the planets themselves could use a bit of work.

Top Bottom