• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online,early 2010,beta around the corner...

noisome07

Banned
spidye said:
do you have to verify a code or something? I thought only people with preorder codes can play

You still need a key to play in the beta, unfortunately. But, you can still download the beta but you won't be able to log in unless your account is tied to a beta key.

spidye

noisome07 said:
You still need a key to play in the beta, unfortunately. But, you can still download the beta but you won't be able to log in unless your account is tied to a beta key.
:(
thank god for justin.tv

BobLoblaw

Banned
Well I've got an OB key from fileplanet that I'll give away WHEN I get mine from Amazon.com. All they say is I'll be getting it between 1/12 and 1/26. :|

JdFoX187

Banned
Chris_C said:
How large is the open beta download? Is it up already? I have my pre-order key ready to go.
It's between seven and eight gigs. You'd best download it now because it'll take a while and there's supposed to be a large patch out tomorrow. The client can run, but it won't let you get on a server or do anything until the beta unlocks at 10 a.m. PST tomorrow.

JdFoX187 said:
It's between seven and eight gigs. You'd best download it now because it'll take a while and there's supposed to be a large patch out tomorrow. The client can run, but it won't let you get on a server or do anything until the beta unlocks at 10 a.m. PST tomorrow.

Download is already slow as shit for me.

BobLoblaw

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Man, I kinda wish they would at least let us into the character creator, just as a timekiller. Ah well....
Same. The good thing though is that just like CoH and CO, the creator is MASSIVE. I think they're even adding more for OB.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So I've never purchased an mmo at release before so I'm a little confused and can't find the info on steam. Mainly, how many months of subscription am I getting with the 50 dollar game when I buy it?

Also how many character slots are avaliable? Are there plans for other races as well?

Divvy said:
So I've never purchased an mmo at release before so I'm a little confused and can't find the info on steam. Mainly, how many months of subscription am I getting with the 50 dollar game when I buy it?

Also how many character slots are avaliable? Are there plans for other races as well?

I don't even think they've mentioned a monthly fee yet. I find that a little strange. I've heard there are two character slots.

HUELEN10

2 character slots? I get to make a guy and a girl right? Awesome. :D Jut sold some more shit to put me closer to my goals.

BobLoblaw

Banned
DoctorWho said:
I don't even think they've mentioned a monthly fee yet. I find that a little strange. I've heard there are two character slots.
Yeah, monthly fee hasn't been annouced yet (it'll be $14.99), and they haven't officially announced how many characters slots they'll allow (more than 1). :D

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Darn, I want to check this out. But I'm not going to preorder an MMO that I haven't tested. Pointless.

Fuck. Neither of the download options I'm using work properly. Fuck! The Downloader is slow as fuck and I keep getting an error with the torrent that says files are missing.

JdFoX187

Banned
DoctorWho said:
Fuck. Neither of the download options I'm using work properly. Fuck! The Downloader is slow as fuck and I keep getting an error with the torrent that says files are missing.
Did you try the torrent link from the Star Trek Online forums? It's the one I downloaded off and went smooth. It took about 16 hours to get it, but it worked.

JdFoX187 said:
Did you try the torrent link from the Star Trek Online forums? It's the one I downloaded off and went smooth. It took about 16 hours to get it, but it worked.

Yeah, I got the one of the download page on the official website. I think this is the official open beta link and they just put it up a couple of hours ago. I know torrents take time to get going but the wait is excruciating. Oh well, I won't have the beta code until tomorrow anyways.

According to uTorrent, I should have Star Trek Online Beta in about 1 Year 7 Weeks.

JdFoX187

Banned
It's going to take some time with everyone trying to jump on it at the last minute. I don't know why they waited so long to release the client. I can just imagine the servers tomorrow trying to download the patch :lol

JdFoX187 said:
It's going to take some time with everyone trying to jump on it at the last minute. I don't know why they waited so long to release the client. I can just imagine the servers tomorrow trying to download the patch :lol

Does the online beta client being released today still require the patch or was that just for the closed beta members?

noisome07

Banned
FYI, if you guys didn't know.. if you have a Target store near you, you can pickup a 99 cent Star Trek Online preorder type box thingy.. All it has in it is two pieces of paper. One is a 5$ off coupon (can only use it at Target) and the other is a beta key which also gets you a 2 day headstart to the game. Also, with the key I think you get a phaser rifle? I'm not even sure what it does but I guess that's included when you enter your beta key in.

JdFoX187

Banned
DoctorWho said:
Does the online beta client being released today still require the patch or was that just for the closed beta members?
I think you still have to download the monstrous patch tomorrow. Two to three gigs is what someone said on here and a friend of mine beta testing it already said the same thing.

tadcalabash

Neo Member
Anyone know any place that has a large amount of keys they're giving away? So far all I've been able to find keys are for pre-orders, fileplanet subscribers, and fan sites that gave away the 50 they had a month ago.

BobLoblaw

Banned
tadcalabash said:
Anyone know any place that has a large amount of keys they're giving away? So far all I've been able to find keys are for pre-orders, fileplanet subscribers, and fan sites that gave away the 50 they had a month ago.
I think Atari and several of the major site will be giving some away this week. I suggest people bump this thread as soon as they see some because they'll probably go fast.

BobLoblaw said:
Yeah, monthly fee hasn't been annouced yet (it'll be $14.99), and they haven't officially announced how many characters slots they'll allow (more than 1). :D

Anything less than multiple slots per server(at least 4-8) is just BS. I like playing lots of characters, number of character slots will determine if I get this game or not.

JWong

Banned
bloodforge said:
Anything less than multiple slots per server(at least 4-8) is just BS. I like playing lots of characters, number of character slots will determine if I get this game or not.
I think you can just stick with one character because you can change ships anytime.

So it's like free class change without needing to relevel.

JWong said:
I think you can just stick with one character because you can change ships anytime.

So it's like free class change without needing to relevel.

Except its still the same character. I don't want to just play one character. It's the same reason I quit FFXI so fast(and having to pay for extra characters which is equally ridiculously stupid).

I really cannot wait to play the game. I do not know right now if I will buy the game, but I am still excited and if I can get at least a month of enjoyable gameplay from it then it'll be worth it like the other MMOs I've played.

Jas

BigJonsson said:
What are the system reqs?

Minimum System Specifications

* OS: Windows XP SP2/ Windows Vista/Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
* CPU: Intel dual-core 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 + 3800
* Memory: 1GB RAM or Better
* Video:ATI Radeon X1800 or NVIDIA GeForce 7950 or better
* Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
* DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
* HDD: 5GB Free Disk Space
* Network: Broadband Required

Got a key!

Question. Will this run on my x1600 2.3 ghz core 2 macbook pro?

Edit: Saw the min. specs above. Phooey. Well I will get to try it on my parent's new screaming rig for a few days until i go to school. Otherwise I am out of the running.

Arzehn

Where you guys downloading from?

fileplanet is going 0(timeout?) to 50kbps... normally i get 1mbps with fileplanet, this is really weird. :/

Top Bottom