• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2010 Edition

Quake1028

4231472823_1e32443e4d_o.jpg

Vizio VO420E
PS3 40GB
Xbox 360 Pro w/HDMI
PS2
Wii
HD-DVR
Original 1978 Denver Broncos Orange Crush :D

4231472015_87e258bc85.jpg
4232240092_3452ba62dd.jpg

4232240174_e86795eb64.jpg
4232240392_b0b0edeb2a.jpg

4232240598_d4e7335d3e.jpg

Just got this finished today. Need some cord management and all set.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
just redoing my room, felts like a 30 year old man baby room so I am trying to make it look cleaner, without clutter. (some setups look really cool in the previous threads)

one thing I noticed in some of the shots are pictures / posters near/above the TV, i find it a bit weird as it takes away attention from the TV. whats everyone's take on this?

I've been meaning to do this for awhile now since I actually upgraded the TV back in February, but probablya good thing I waited since the HTPC, keyboard, and mouse are all recent additions.

Current Hardware (new changes in bold):

Pioneer Elite Kuro 50" 111FD Plasma HDTV
Pioneer Elite SC-07 Receiver
AV123 ELT525 Speakers
DirecTV HD-DVR HR23-700
Sony Blu-Ray BDP-BX1
Zotac Dual Core Atom 330 w/ NVIDIA ION HTPC
Sony 60 GB PlayStation 3
Sony PlayStation 2
Microsoft Xbox 360
Nintendo Wii
Logitech diNovo Mini
Logitech MX Air Mouse

Removed Hardware:

Sony KF-50WE610 HDTV
DirecTV TiVo HR10-250
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player
Microsoft Xbox (used for XBMC)

Here's a pic of what my old setup looked like from the last thread:

4.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Here's what it now looks like:

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

8.JPG

9.JPG

5.JPG

18.jpg

And for good measure, here's pics of my game room. (Pics from last year as it hasn't changed too much)

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

Although this is a new pic that I promised last year but got lazy. It's got some consoles but not all of them:

19.jpg

And what the hell since I'm showing off at this point, here's my 8 terabyte server:

20.jpg

I may try to take better pictures when the sun is out. It's kinda dark and gloomy today.

Gloomfire said:
Original 1978 Denver Broncos Orange Crush :D [/B]

Bastard.

I read this and then immediately wanted an orange crush. I walked to the store in single digit degree weather and they didn't even have any. I settled for the throwback pepsi and mt. dew

I'll be watching you Gloomfire, and your crappy subliminal messaging. You have made a powerful enemy this day. ;p

TwIsTeD

just moved to our new rental property while attempting to find a house, will post pics of my new setup when i get back from holiday

hermit7

Will upload some pictures when I get my camera out.

Panasonic tc-l32x1
Playstation 3
Xbox 360 Arcade 20 gig HD

Not too bad for a college student.:D

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Don't you guys have Ikea's over there? Damn the furniture and wall & floors hurt my eyes.

Yes Boss!

Bamihap said:
Don't you guys have Ikea's over there? Damn the furniture and wall & floors hurt my eyes.

Boo,

A nice homey gaming space is far better than something stuffed with sterile IKEA ware.

Anyways, here is my little Tate setup I did a few weeks ago and will entering the new year with. Just the essentials as most of my stuff is in storage now:

P1030170-1.jpg

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Yes Boss! said:
Boo,

A nice homey gaming space is far better than something stuffed with sterile IKEA ware.

Anyways, here is my little Tate setup I did a few weeks ago and will entering the new year with. Just the essentials as most of my stuff is in storage now:

P1030170-1.jpg
Offtopic: Set your tv's to "cinema" mode and color temperature to "warm". Trust me, humans shouldn't be blue. :D

Yes Boss!

Bamihap said:
Offtopic: Set your tv's to "cinema" mode and color temperature to "warm". Trust me, humans shouldn't be blue. :D

Nah, it is from a scene in the movie that is a pastiche of old 1960s indian cinema tropes. It is supposed to be garish with Shriya heavily made up.

Good try, though!

Spiderjericho said:
Marty, how much does it cost for the AV rack/shelf? I really want one of those.

Mine cost $254. They're much more pricey than you would expect from when I was looking. I got that back in October 2008. It's amazing how expensive furniture can be. I can point you to the site if you're interested.

KaYotiX

Banned
In our Livingroom :D (52" LCD) (Games and video game junk is in a corner shelf not really visable which is nice)
DSC00262.jpg

[

Yes Boss!

sky said:
Surprised there's no prominent dreamcast in sight...

Ah,

It is there just off to the side. It is not plugged in. Actually, just a ton of other gaming stuff is on the other side of the game room...including three cabinets but all that stuff is in storage now.

P1030427-1.jpg

Fox the Sly

72pqvl.jpg

oaujoy.jpg

Not half as nice as what I've seen here over the years, but I'm poor. :lol Also, Dreamcast, SNES, GBA, etc., etc. not shown.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
DannyCool said:
Am i the only one playing in my bed :p

Pics coming soon
Nope :)

Same thing in my small house. Gaming/PC is all in my bedroom. Might as well post a pic too when I tidy up. Besides, gaming in your bed is comfy as fuck :D

LiK

OuterWorldVoice said:
Everyone knows why you need two Dreamcasts, but why two Wiis?

double penetration!

entrement said:
Region locking for both retail and downloadable software, such as VC and WiiWare. It's so stupid. Every platform holder should've just went region free this generation. Only a fraction of even the hardcore ever import games.

or that...

entremet

OuterWorldVoice said:
Region locking for both retail and downloadable software, such as VC and WiiWare. It's so stupid. Every platform holder should've just went region free this generation. Only a fraction of even the hardcore ever import games.

Yes Boss!

OuterWorldVoice said:

Play japanese games, access the japanese store?

That is the reason I've got two. I don't use homebrew on any of my consoles.

HUELEN10

I've already posted these in the Pick-Up post thread, but now that we have this thread, I can go into detail and keep it up-to-date! Please excuse the quality of the pictures, and iPhone EDGE is all I have.
r8troi.png

dedb0d91.jpg
ce8cdc14.jpg

Here is a shot of the entrance of the room. As some of you may know, the TV is a Sony WEGA Trinitron KD-34XBR970 CRT, which makes it a great TV for all-around gaming. :D The stand it is on is an Ikea BESTÅ JÄGRA stand with casters. Below the TV, is my Falcon and a DVD Recorder. The purpose of the DVD recorder is twofold in that it not only is there to record game footage with the proper cables plugged in, but all 240p systems like the NES and SNES are hooked up to it to get rid of a tearing problem that happens on my TV with those low resolutions. Passed-through, it is good to go!
c614fa8a.jpg
6e43e8d4.jpg

Here we have the drawers open. As you can see, it is filled to the brim with controllers, extensions, and more controllers! All of them, have been opened, cleaned, polished, and lubricated. Remeber, a man can NEVER have too many GCN controllers, and I plan to collect more! (Isn't there someone on GAF with like 20 of those things? If you are reading this, I envy you!)
537e317a.jpg

To the right of the HDTV is a walmart TV stand which is used to hold the consoles. It is good because it was cheap, it is sturdy enough, it is light, and it gives all the consoles an unmatched level of ventilation. An open-eneded environment like this also ensures that my consoles will remain dust-free. Regardless, they are all cleaned and polished on a weekly basis. To the left, you can see an old Linksys Router with Tomato Firmware (Well, you can't actually SEE the firmware silly! :lol) on top of the cable modem where I get my 8 Meg broadband. To those that think the speed is low, keep in mind that around these parts, it's the highest you can get. :( Still, I am very happy with the connection it gives me. The consoles on the stand are all 5 generations of USA Nintendo, a PS2, a PS3, and a Dreamcast. The NES' front has a sticker on it for now, but will be cleaned off and replaced once some water decal sheets arrive. It will be re-branded as something custom by me, for that system will have a Famicom disk system attachment! I'm working on the thing as we speak, and I can't wait to show you the NES with disk system once it is done.
21a96034.jpg
78d8be0b.jpg

Here we have some switchers for various things as well as the EVIL SEA OF WIRES! Fuck me. :(
01bcdb09.jpg

Now for the latest addition, SHELVES!
f9bc2329.jpg
afa78e45.jpg

4ed8f740.jpg
82b15384.jpg

86e4fa7a.jpg
40e314ea.jpg

79fe91d6.jpg
50dc1aa0.jpg

On these shelves are my entire GCN, Xbox/360, PS1/2/3/P, Wii, DS/i, Dreamcast, NES, and N64 collections as well has all my BD/HDDVDs. Everything has its own case, except cartridges for now, and has been cleaned, and re-surfaced if necessary. I know that compared to probably the majority of GAF, it doesn't look quite that big, or special even, but that doesn't take away from the work and effort, and as cheesy as it sounds, love put into it.
http:/
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/huelen1/Game%20Collections/60ba6458.jpg
e0737283.jpg

21547f9e.jpg
ec15336e.jpg

Calendars and SMG figurines. Random and nice. :D
715c45ed.jpg
aefd15f0.jpg

Posters and the like are still on the walls, but will be replaced in the coming weeks and months with fewer,newer posters, as well as framed game art. I am also in the process of getting a cinderblock that says "RARE SUX" on it, as well as a picture of Iwata, all for the lulz. Fridge is where I keep my Root Brewskies, and the table is for my laptop, or fighting sticks [on order Markman ;)]. Old office chair as well as a beanbag are there, so I can choose depending on the mood. Since my room is like an office, dedicated only to studies, text, and work, I wanted this to be the opposite, and I think I have accomplished this task. My room is for me, the bureaucrat, while this room is for me, the gamer, a private sanctuary. I know it isn't too much to look at, but I am happy, very very happy. The good news as well is that everything in wired in such a way that in the future when the CRT croaks (All CRTs must die eventually, especially big ones), I can just get a DVDO Edge, an HD Fury, and a 40 Inch LCD HDTV with a VGA port! That way, both current, AND classic gaming shall live on! :D

Now, here's something ambitious that I will be working on in 2010!
4e147384.jpg
fda445a2.jpg

Inside the wooden box are over 60 GB/C/A games that will be kept there safely for the time being. Why is this? The answer is that I am waiting for cartridge cases for these games, as well as any future games and N64, NES and SNES games to come in the mail. I am also waiting for Orange DVD cases to arrive so the DC collection, which is still growing, can be re-cased. If I get a Saturn or a Sega CD, the cases for those will be violet and blue respectably.
4a4930e8.jpg
e886fd05.jpg

3824eddf.jpg
37192f0f.jpg

Re-cased titles look great on the shelf, and protect the game, as well as the original cardboard box and manual (when available). All of the original materials for re-cased games, along with boxes for systems and the like, have been carefully dusted, sorted, and stored in a safe location, so no worries about any of that! When it comes to damaged labels, those cartridges will be replaced altogether, or will be professionally RE-LABELED. When completed, this will ensure that the collection will be ready to transport without fear of lost items, archivable for convenience, and most importantly, will ensure that everything from past generations, to current generation, and next generation will be able to be enjoyed when I pass it down to my children one day. Hopefully, they will appreciate it.

As far as tallying up the numbers, and listing my games, I am working hard on it. It will take a lot of time though, just for the fact that I have well over 100 Wii games. I think in the end, it will be worth it.

As for planned/current stuff, here is my current list.

CURRENT GAMING HARDWARE

Sony WEGA Trinitron KD-34XBR970 HDTV
Linksys WRT54G Router with Tomato
Magnavox ZC320MW8 DVD Recorder
Wii
PS3 Slim 120GB
PS2 Phat
Sega Dreamcast
NES
SNES
N64
Nintendo Gamecube
Xbox 360 Falcon w/120GB HDD
GB Micro
GB Color
GB Advance
GB Advance SP 2
Nintendo DSi

CURRENT GAMING ACCESSORIES
4 Wii Remotes
2 Wii Classic Controllers
3 Wii Nunchucks
1 Wii Motionplus
2 360 wireless controllers
1 360 Fightpad
3 Dreamcast pads
1 Dualshock 3
2 Dualshock 2s
2 NES Pads
1 N4 Controller
1 SNES Pad
1 USB Saturn Pad
8 GCN Controllers
2 GCN Wavebirds
1 Digital GCN Horipad
1 PS3 Vertical stand
6 GCN controller extensions
2 Xbox 360 Remotes
1 PS3 BD Remote
1 eReader

PLANNED HARDWARE FOR 2010
Nintendo DS
Whatever Project natal ends up being called
Xbox 360 6-button Horipad
Sega Megadrive
Sony Wand
Playstation Eye
Sega CD
Sega 32x
Sega Saturn
Completed Famicom Disk System for NES
Club Nintendo Super Famipad for Wii

I'll keep this updated as the weeks and months move along. I will also bookmark it. I wonder how far I will actually be able to get...

I work hard. I play hard.

xBigDanx

Marty Chinn said:
I've been meaning to do this for awhile now since I actually upgraded the TV back in February, but probablya good thing I waited since the HTPC, keyboard, and mouse are all recent additions.

Current Hardware (new changes in bold):

Pioneer Elite Kuro 50" 111FD Plasma HDTV
Pioneer Elite SC-07 Receiver
AV123 ELT525 Speakers
DirecTV HD-DVR HR23-700
Sony Blu-Ray BDP-BX1
Zotac Dual Core Atom 330 w/ NVIDIA ION HTPC
Sony 60 GB PlayStation 3
Sony PlayStation 2
Microsoft Xbox 360
Nintendo Wii
Logitech diNovo Mini
Logitech MX Air Mouse

Removed Hardware:

Sony KF-50WE610 HDTV
DirecTV TiVo HR10-250
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player
Microsoft Xbox (used for XBMC)

Here's what it now looks like:

15.jpg

What is that an interface for on the TV?

HUELEN10

Marty Chinn said:
That's running off my HTPC which is running XBMC with the Aeon skin. I could take more pictures of the interface if you're interested.
Please do! I like it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
hmm... moved to a new flat a few months ago in London. Maybe I should take some fresh shots for 2010s sake.

entremet

HUELEN10 said:
Re-cased titles look great on the shelf, and protect the game, as well as the original cardboard box and manual (when available). All of the original materials for re-cased games, along with boxes for systems and the like, have been carefully dusted, sorted, and stored in a safe location, so no worries about any of that! When it comes to damaged labels, those cartridges will be replaced altogether, or will be professionally RE-LABELED. When completed, this will ensure that the collection will be ready to transport without fear of lost items, archivable for convenience, and most importantly, will ensure that everything from past generations, to current generation, and next generation will be able to be enjoyed when I pass it down to my children one day. Hopefully, they will appreciate it.

As far as tallying up the numbers, and listing my games, I am working hard on it. It will take a lot of time though, just for the fact that I have well over 100 Wii games. I think in the end, it will be worth it.

I work hard. I play hard.
These should help with the cables.
http://www.staples.com/Staples-Reusable-Cable-Ties-25-Pack/product_630862

x3sphere

3008wfpsetup.jpg

What's in the pic:

Sennhesier HD650 headphones
Logitech Z-5500 speakers
Logitech Illuminated keyboard
Microsoft Habu mouse
Dell 3008WFP 2560x1600 monitor

xBigDanx said:
I second that.

It looks exactly like what I've been imagining for my HT solution... just didn't know what I could use to get it

I didn't take screengrabs of everything in the interface, but this should give you a general idea. Let me know if you want to see more of it or certain aspects that I didn't cover.

Pretty much every image you see there you can customize yourself if you want or you can let it automatically pull images down from different sources if you don't want to take the time to set it all up yourself. Even the images for each category of Movies, TV Shows, Music, Games, etc can be customized to however you want. Some people tend to put like specific shows or movies to show up, but I wanted something more general for now. The original screen grabs are at 1920 x 1080 since I run at 1080p normally.

Let me know if you have any questions.

aeon-xbmc-01.jpg

aeon-xbmc-02.jpg

aeon-xbmc-03.jpg

aeon-xbmc-04.jpg

aeon-xbmc-05.jpg

aeon-xbmc-06.jpg

aeon-xbmc-07.jpg

aeon-xbmc-12.jpg

aeon-xbmc-08.jpg

aeon-xbmc-09.jpg

aeon-xbmc-10.jpg