• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Idol Season 9 Thread of Simon's Swan Song (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCX

Season Premiere: Tuesday Jan 12th

Audition cities and guest judges:

Boston- Victoria Beckham
Atlanta- Mary J. Blige
Chicago - Shania Twain
Orlando - Kristen Chenoweth
Dallas - Joe Jonas and Neil Patrick Harris
Las Angeles- Avril Lavigne and Katy Perry
Denver - Victoria Beckham

This season also has the return of the Top 24 format used in seasons 4-7.

Potentially Simon's last, since he is working hard to get a U.S. version of the X-Factor for fall 2010.

Also, Ellen DeGeneres is replacing Paula Abdul for some strange reason.

No big spoilers yet, since the top 24 will be picked this month.

The last couple of seasons have really tried my patience and I fully expect to hate Ellen (seriously, WTF?) but I'll be back for another go-around this year.

In any case I suspect the show's days are numbered- it's only a matter of time now before Simon leaves to do a US version of The X-Factor which will then go on to eclipse Idol as the pre-eminent TV talent show, as happened in the UK.

Apoc29

I haven't seen a full episode of X-Factor, but wouldn't a US version essentially be...American Idol?

JCX

Apoc29 said:
I haven't seen a full episode of X-Factor, but wouldn't a US version essentially be...American Idol?

Not really. I've been keeping up with the UK version of the X-Factor, and I think it is pretty terrible. It places more emphasis on the judges than Idol does (judges picking songs for contestants, judges choosing who goes home during finals) and Idol has consistently produced better groups of finalists.

Apoc29 said:
It's a slightly different format since they also allow group acts and older contestants, plus there is the (IMO bullshit) element of each of the judges sponsoring and mentoring their favorite contestants so there's more rivalry between the judges. I don't see the appeal of that but the format obliterated Idol in the UK (where it originated) so I can see it happening here too.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I only watch AI so I can understand what they're talking about on EW Idolatry... that show cracks me up pretty consistently. The straight-up interviews aren't that great, but the week to week stuff is always entertaining. Far better than the actual show.

Costanza said:
watching audition episodes then ignoring it for the rest of the season.

Yep, that's the best part of the show for me.

Also, is Kris Allen the biggest failure of a winner on the show so far? His album didn't even break 100k the first week.

SolidSnakex said:
Yep, that's the best part of the show for me.

Also, is Kris Allen the biggest failure of a winner on the show so far? His album didn't even break 100k the first week.
Yeah I think I read somewhere that his was the worst winner's debut ever. Lambert was the true winner of that season.

ToxicAdam

Honestly, the audition episodes are lame now. I'll just start watching once they get to Hollywood.

Anything that is good on the audition episodes are up on youtube within an hour.

I like the weirdos they have at the beginning. Once everyone can actually sing, I enjoy seeing how far the Vote for the Worst candidate can get.

There was a show quite a few years ago on UPN or WB that was like a reverse American Idol where they kept the worst singers on purpose, but didn't tell them they sucked. Can't remember the name but it was hilarious watching the judges try not to laugh at them. Tone Loc and Vitamin C were judges......um...I also remember them eventually being nice to the winner, which ruined the whole show....or maybe it's a fever dream I had.....

suaveric

ToxicAdam said:
Honestly, the audition episodes are lame now. I'll just start watching once they get to Hollywood.

Anything that is good on the audition episodes are up on youtube within an hour.

I agree, we don't start watching until they get to Hollywood. How many times can you watch the joke singers?

unomas

Banned
It's gonna be weird without Paula, I didn't like the 4 judge format last year, 3 is more than enough. No offense to Ellen, but how exactly is she qualified to be a judge? If Simon leaves idol is done with.

oh... i almost forgot. have to remind myself to watch when this starts! I hope they have another asian to make top 10 and stay there!

suaveric said:
I agree, we don't start watching until they get to Hollywood. How many times can you watch the joke singers?

As many times as they do it. I can't watch the "serious" singers because they really aren't all that great to begin with and the show is way too much about personality.

JCX

Simon announced today that this will be his last season of Idol. Unfortunately, The X-Factor is coming to the US in 2011.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Hey JCX,

I created this thread as the official one, not realizing that you probably intended this thread to be the official one.

I'm cool with shutting mine down in favor of using yours since you made it first (and you made last years).

Didn't mean to step on your toes!

vehn

RubxQub said:
Hey JCX,

I created this thread as the official one, not realizing that you probably intended this thread to be the official one.

I'm cool with shutting mine down in favor of using yours since you made it first (and you made last years).

Didn't mean to step on your toes!

don't back down man, keep up the fight!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gary Whitta said:
Yeah I think I read somewhere that his was the worst winner's debut ever. Lambert was the true winner of that season.
Based on the Lambert tunes I've heard so far, there was no true winner that season.

I love that in this at&t commercial the best reason they can come up with to use the internet and the phone at the same time is being on who wants to be a millionaire. Great job ma bell.

Alucard said:
So, will ANYONE care once Simon leaves this show? I find it really hard to believe they will.
I hope this is the last season and they announce it when they do the live show. and Simon just keeps slipping in X-Factor then :lol.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm in love this girl. In.love. Best personal song choice, ever!

*talking about the girl that sang Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah

JCX

Alucard said:
So, will ANYONE care about AI once Simon leaves it? I find it really hard to believe they will.

Personally, I'd prefer if there were no judges at all. They very rarely give constructive or useful criticism. Simon is the worst because he's somehow convinced the majority of viewers that he knows what he's talking about.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Wow, New England is lighting it up. And it looks like the emphasis on gag auditions has been scaled back a bit.

BlueTsunami said:
Wow, New England is lighting it up. And it looks like the emphasis on gag auditions has been scaled back a bit.

Which would be very boring as most of the auditions that they think are amazing are anything but. Like that girl in blue during the montage that had the paper thin voice.

MIMIC

Banned
2 people in that loser montage have auditioned before. 1 was rejected in the initial audition phase and the other made it all the way to the chair episode (top 24 selection).

I know way too much about this show :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom