• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Idol Season 9 Official Thread, DAWG

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Edit: Hmph, it looks like this thread may have been intended to be the official thread? If so you can lock mine up in favor of that one.

american-idol-logo.png

Looking forward to another season of Idol! This season has the addition of Ellen Degeneres as the 4th judge, replacing Paula Abdul. There's also a lot of discussion around this season being the last one for Mr. Cowell...so we'll have to wait and see how that unfolds.

Let's jump into the specifics.

The Cast
AIJudgeS9.png

Audition Locations
AIS9Audition.png

Season 9 Schedule
  • Tuesday, Jan. 12 8/7c Season Premiere, Part 1 – Boston Auditions Episode
  • Wednesday, Jan. 13 8/7c Season Premiere, Part 2 – Atlanta Auditions Episode
  • Tuesday, Jan. 19 8/7c Chicago Auditions Episode
  • Wednesday, Jan. 20 8/7c Orlando Auditions Episode
  • Tuesday, Jan. 26 8/7c Dallas Auditions Episode
  • Wednesday, Jan. 27 9/8c Los Angeles Auditions Episode
  • Tuesday, Feb. 2 8/7c Denver Auditions Episode
  • Wednesday, Feb. 3 9/8c “The Road to Hollywood” Auditions Episode
  • Tuesday, Feb. 9 8/7c Hollywood Round, Part 1
  • Wednesday, Feb. 10 9/8c Hollywood Round, Part 2
  • Tuesday, Feb. 16 8/7c Hollywood Round, Part 3
  • Wednesday, Feb. 17 9/8c Hollywood Round, Part 4 – Top 24 Semifinalists Announced
  • Tuesday, Feb. 23 8/7c Top 12 Female Semifinalists Perform
  • Wednesday, Feb. 24 8/7c Top 12 Male Semifinalists Perform
  • Thursday, Feb. 25 8/7c First Results Show – Two Male and Two Female Contestants Eliminated
  • Tuesday, March 2 8/7c Top 10 Female Semifinalists Perform
  • Wednesday, March 3 8/7c Top 10 Male Semifinalists Perform
  • Thursday, March 4 8/7c Results Show – Two Male and Two Female Contestants Eliminated
  • Tuesday, March 9 8/7c Top 8 Female Semifinalists Perform
  • Wednesday, March 10 9/8c Top 8 Male Semifinalists Perform
  • Thursday, March 11 8/7c Results Show – Two Male and Two Female Contestants Eliminated; Finalists Revealed
  • Tuesday, March 16 8/7c Finalists Perform
  • Wednesday, March 17 9/8c Results Show – One Contestant Eliminated

Let's hope this year brings us entertainment, quality personalities and some memorable moments and meltdowns.

MojoRisin

I'm interested to see how Ellen will react to Simon's callous remarks towards people. Should make for good TV. My prediction is the third week we will see another side to Ellen Degeneres.

And my god I am insanely attracted to Kara.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
WJD said:
Kara is pretty hot.

But good lord she's annoying. Like, insanely annoying.
I am interested to see how she acts this season. I think she has more credibility than Randy or Paula as far as being a judge goes. She works with a lot of people; whether or not you like the songs she writes/produces for them is another story. I think last season, her first, she was just trying too hard, trying to prove herself. I'm very interested to see if she's more relaxed now that she isn't the new judge on the block.

That being said, I think Kara usually either looks beautiful or pretty horrific. She's one of those women who if she dresses the wrong way can look pretty damn ugly. It usually has something to do with her hair versus her facial structure.

ToxicAdam

WJD said:
Kara is pretty hot.

But good lord she's annoying. Like, insanely annoying.

Really? I don't get the hate for her. When you stand her up against any other female reality judge, she might be one of the best. She's not even the most annoying person on the show (Randy Jackson would win that award).

MojoRisin

ToxicAdam said:
Really? I don't get the hate for her. When you stand her up against any other female reality judge, she might be one of the best. She's not even the most annoying person on the show (Randy Jackson would win that award).
Let's see how Ellen does.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think it's amazing how fast Kara pushed out Paula. Like I think the producers were hoping that Paula would be a goner in three seasons...they managed to do it in one. Super incredible!

I didn't watch last year. I will at least watch the auditions, but I don't know if AI is my thing anymore. But always there for the auditions!

http://z.about.com/d/realitytv/1/0/S/P/marymurphy.jpg

mary murphy looks like nemesis from RE3

B.K.

I always like watching the auditions. I never watch anything after that. I don't know if I can watch them this year though. I hate Ellen.

Speevy

Banned
As long as Ellen doesn't launch into a comedy routine during every criticism or act all adorably reluctant every time she has to tear down a contestant, the show will be fine.

Last season was the first time I watched the actual "contest" part. Not sure if I will again or not but I'll at least be in for the auditions.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
B.K. said:
I always like watching the auditions. I never watch anything after that. I don't know if I can watch them this year though. I hate Ellen.
She's not in the audition portions, only in the top 20 or whenever they start that.

ToxicAdam

American Idol fans, start preparing those goodbye tributes: Simon Cowell announced today that this year’s ninth season will be his last. The irascible judge told the nation’s TV critics in Pasadena, CA that he will team with Fox to launch a stateside version of his popular UK show The X Factor in 2011. “We did talk about me staying on both shows but when we looked at the practicalities of that, it was impossible,” Cowell told the press. “In my opinion, it’s like having a good player and a good football team. The two have to be okay together. I believe it’s not my show, but it’s still very close to me. We made sure when we did this, that I would be protected. I’m confident it will continue to be the No. 1 show. Everyone is committed to keeping it that way.”

Like Idol, X Factor is a televised talent search that pits contestants against one another and the prize is usually a recording contract. The UK version was responsible for the launch of Leona Lewis, among others. The show divides contestants into four categories — guys, girls, groups, and singers over the age of 25 — and already airs in many countries. “It’s a big, big production,” Cowell said. “In the UK, we have 200 applicants every year. There is no upper age limit on X Factor and groups are allowed to enter. We gave ourselves time to set it up. It gives us time to work out who the judging panel will be.”

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
ToxicAdam said:
Wonder if they plan on alternating X-Factor and AI so they don't cannibalize viewers from each other?

Either way, no Simon is the deathknell for AI.

ToxicAdam

RubxQub said:
Wonder if they plan on alternating X-Factor and AI so they don't cannibalize viewers from each other?

Either way, no Simon is the deathknell for AI.

Seems like a solid plan.

I think AI will still do well, just not a top ten show any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom