• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony launching the PS3 in the Philippines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsnepo

If you've never heard of the Philippines, it's a small country in the southeast asian region. This is the country where that slim PS3 was first spotted. You may not care but there's a huge number of gamers in the Philippines that wishes for official support. I believe some of those gamers are here so I'm spreading the word.

http://asia.playstation.com/ph/en

2ymzhbk.jpg

If you check the terms and conditions you'll see the last paragraph referring to a filipino version of the terms and conditions.

Sa wakas!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Chittagong said:
makes sense, now that the lack of piracy on the platform has been solved finally.

Has it?

Anyway...what did ever happen to that slim in the Phillipines? You'd think whoever bought it would have been crowing about it on the net, but the trail went dead after that. Maybe it was a Sony person who picked it up afterall.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sa wakas!

May PSN Philippines na ba? Haha

Anyway, I'm not sure but I remember that they removed the PlayStation support in the Philippines due to piracy. Surprised they're bringing the PS3 to the Philippines now. If I remember correctly, a lot of people here support the PlayStation brand (as seen through the number of PSPs here and to some extent, the PS3 even if it's one of the most expensive systems here).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Actually, the Philippines isn't even officially listed on asia.playstation.com

jercruz

if I remember correctly the PS2 and the PSP were 'officially' launched there, but were not really followed up with localized games.

so ps3 'officially' launching is no surprise since sony has done it before. localized and continued support is the problem.

Pachimari

Though, there may not be any official support, there is more PS3 SKUs than here in Europe. I'm half filipino and bought the awesome white ceramic fat PS3 and sold it afterward. It is worrysome, that I couldn't find Metal Gear Solid 4 at launch in Mall of Asia (the largest mall in the whole asian region).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
akilshohen said:
kamustaka!

and supposedly the guy who cracked the iPhone cracked PS3

I might have missed more recent developments, but AFAIK nothing much has yet come out of his crack.
*titter*

jercruz

ULTROS! said:
Actually, the Philippines isn't even officially listed on asia.playstation.com

This reminds me when the South-east asian version of the GBA was released... On the front of the box there is a label that says "For sale only in: Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand". There maybe more countries listed but I specifically remember Philippines not included there.

Cornbread78

There are players down there rocking the PS3, Exporters send them down there to family frequently from the US and sell for big bucks since there is such a large Philipino community in the US there are plenty of family members to send it back and forth.

DoubleTap

Glad my kababayans can finally get their PS3's. Now there'll be more machines that can play those fake blu ray movies :lol

Cornbread78 said:
There are players down there rocking the PS3, Exporters send them down there to family frequently from the US and sell for big bucks since there is such a large Philipino community in the US there are plenty of family members to send it back and forth.

Why do they sell for big bucks then?

cvxfreak

My family over there tends to just ask their US/Japan-based family (aka me) to buy games for them and then send over. :lol

ULTROS!

Cornbread78 said:
because they are not reasily available, so they sell for big money outside the family.

Not to mention unofficial retailers sell the PS3 for nearly $350.

Dommel

ULTROS! said:
Not to mention unofficial retailers sell the PS3 for nearly $350.

That's not a bad price I think.

I might be moving to the Philippines in a couple of years (yes foreigner stealing your hot women etc etc) and I'm wondering how easy it is to continue playing games. Currently I have all the current-gen consoles and use my PS3 the most.

Is it hard to get games shipped to let's say Davao or is it near impossible if it's anywhere else but Manilla?

And do I really want to be gaming when it's 30 degrees celsius outside every day with white beaches just around the corner? :D

EYEL1NER

When I was there a couple months ago, I saw PS3's everywhere: Imus, Alabang, many places.
Some were as low as like, 15000php? Others at some of the nicer malls were like 20.

ULTROS!

Dommel said:
Is it hard to get games shipped to let's say Davao or is it near impossible if it's anywhere else but Manilla?

They sell games there I'm sure although unofficially. You won't get them on the release date itself, maybe around a few days to a week.

When I was there a couple months ago, I saw PS3's everywhere: Imus, Alabang, many places.
Some were as low as like, 15000php? Others at some of the nicer malls were like 20.

That's not really a low price in our country. :lol

Although I did see an Xbox 360 Arcade Jasper unit (that actually works and is new) being sold for $62.

EYEL1NER

ULTROS! said:
They sell games there I'm sure although unofficially. You won't get them on the release date itself, maybe around a few days to a week.

That's not really a low price in our country. :lol

Although I did see an Xbox 360 Arcade Jasper unit (that actually works and is new) being sold for $62.
Maybe not, and I didn't explore the whole Philippines and don't understand every facet of the country or the economy, but I did find several items there that were MORE expensive than I could get them in the states.

cvxfreak

Dommel said:

I might be moving to the Philippines in a couple of years (yes foreigner stealing your hot women etc etc) and I'm wondering how easy it is to continue playing games. Currently I have all the current-gen consoles and use my PS3 the most.

And do I really want to be gaming when it's 30 degrees celsius outside every day with white beaches just around the corner? :D
You can always fly to Hong Kong or Singapore every few weeks/months for your gaming fix. :p

darkwing

Dommel said:

we get the games early, like LBP a week early, UC2, 2 days early, in fact I think WKC is the only game that didn't come out at the same time with the US launch

ULTROS!

EYEL1NER said:
Maybe not, and I didn't explore the whole Philippines and don't understand every facet of the country or the economy, but I did find several items there that were MORE expensive than I could get them in the states.

Well... If it's "big" in our country, they'll sell it for a profit just like Royce' and Louis Vuitton (way overpriced here). :lol

A number of games are overpriced here as well by a few dollars (3-5). I got my God of War Collection for $43.

darkwing said:
we get the games early, like LBP a week early, UC2, 2 days early, in fact I think WKC is the only game that didn't come out at the same time with the US launch

Where do you get your games? I get mine a few days late. The only game that I got "on time" was Bayonetta.

Edit:

To be honest, I don't know if the PS3 would click big here since it's pretty expensive in our standards (especially the games). With $52, one could buy a meal worth two weeks - month here.

Kamaki

Don't think any of my family there could afford a PS3, I end up giving my cousins my old consoles. Damn those Gameboys, Nes and Snes just keep on giving.

darkwing

ULTROS! said:
Well... If it's "big" in our country, they'll sell it for a profit just like Royce' and Louis Vuitton (way overpriced here). :lol

Where do you get your games? I get mine a few days late. The only game that I got "on time" Bayonetta.

from iTech or Datablitz, EA titles have even pre-order bonuses that are not available in the US, like the Dragon Age Origin one, i got a nice mug :D , for Bioshock 2, they are giving t-shirts :D etc...

ULTROS!

darkwing said:
from iTech or Datablitz, EA titles have even pre-order bonuses that are not available in the US, like the Dragon Age Origin one, i got a nice mug :D , for Bioshock 2, they are giving t-shirts :D etc...

My local Datablitz gives an indefinite date and ships late sometimes. One time I asked when God of War Collection would be out there, they said at the end of November. >.>

I should check iTech.

Orlics

I still don't understand why Rock Band, Guitar Hero, etc are so damn expensive at Data Blitz. When RB1 came out I ended up bringing home the set I got in NYC; the extra baggage charge was well worth it.

ULTROS!

Orlics said:
I still don't understand why Rock Band, Guitar Hero, etc are so damn expensive at Data Blitz. When RB1 came out I ended up bringing home the set I got in NYC; the extra baggage charge was well worth it.

I know how you feel. Last time I checked (last year June I think), it was as expensive as the PS3 slim. :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Until the price becomes more reasonable, I don't think it is feasible to release the PS3 to the Philippines. I haven't been there since 1996, but I don't think the country industrialized at such a rapid pace, especially a backwater province like Zambales where my family comes from.

jsnepo

I guess it's inevitable. I don't have a link or anything but I was told that the PS3 will be launched soon and will retail at 18,000 pesos. That's about $360. It will come with a two year warranty. I think Sony Philippines will not be selling the units at a loss hence the expensive price tag. I'm pretty sure as well that the PS3s will only be sold through Sony's own retail stores just like what they did with the PS2 and PSP here.

darkwing

jsnepo said:
I guess it's inevitable. I don't have a link or anything but I was told that the PS3 will be launched soon and will retail at 18,000 pesos. That's about $360. It will come with a two year warranty. I think Sony Philippines will not be selling the units at a loss hence the expensive price tag. I'm pretty sure as well that the PS3s will only be sold through Sony's own retail stores just like what they did with the PS2 and PSP here.

sweet! the warranty is worth it IMO, peace of mine instead of these grey units

sana totoo na ito! he he he he ...
musta ang mga noypi dito, naglalaro ako sa kasalukuyan ng Wii at DS :D

i really hope that it is not one of those trial only endeavors. Mabuhay !

jett

D-Member
jsnepo said:

Seems like a decent price to me for a non-american country.

ULTROS!

jett said:
Seems like a decent price to me for a non-american country.

It's still expensive in our country. :p

Funny enough, last time I checked the Wii price here it was around $250.

Heck, some retailers sold 360s here for $62.

jett

D-Member
ULTROS! said:
It's still expensive in our country. :p

Funny enough, last time I checked the Wii price here it was around $250.

Heck, some retailers sold 360s here for $62.

Pfft. The PS3 is over $400 here and the wii is not that far behind. :p

ULTROS!

manzo said:
In Finland, PS3=433$.

Pinos have it cheap! :D

We're not exactly the richest country in the world. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom