• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Software Top 30 (Weeks 1 - 15, 2010) + Hardware

Baki

All this information comes from the Nintendo Investor Website. Thanks to Road for finding this. I decided that it would be nice for this to have its own thread instead of being buried inside the PAL charts thread.

22l.jpg

19l.jpg

20l.jpg

The 2009 Chart For Comparison:

21l.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wonder how did FFXIII PS3, God of War 3, and Heavy Rain do over there...

Also... How big is the PS3-360 gap over there?

Baki

ULTROS! said:
I wonder how did FFXIII PS3, God of War 3, and Heavy Rain do over there...

Also... How big is the PS3-360 gap over there?

Its in the OP actually. FF13 PS3 is #4, God of War 3 is #8, Heavy Rain is #10 and Xbox 360 FF13 is #18.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Baki said:
Its in the OP actually. FF13 PS3 is #4, God of War 3 is #8, Heavy Rain is #10 and Xbox 360 FF13 is #18.

I mean sales numbers, forgot to mention it though. :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
What territories is this data for? I suppose we could derive for software based on the Gfk attribution (i.e. the countries mentioned here), but the 'Nintendo' source for hardware is rather vague.

Baki

gofreak said:
What territories is this data for? I suppose we could derive for software based on the Gfk attribution (i.e. the countries mentioned here), but the 'Nintendo' source for hardware is rather vague.

I'm assuming Europe but not the rest of the PAL regions.

EDIT: This is what the website says:

This chart shows the top 30 software in terms of sales in Europe during the 1st 15 weeks of 2010.

More specifically, Nintendo gathered and compiled the data from GfK’s researches in England, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands and Belgium.

The number of the titles in the chart which were for Nintendo platforms decreased to 13 this year, including 7 for Wii and 6 for Nintendo DS. Among the 13 titles, Pokémon HeartGold Version and Pokémon SoulSliver Version were the only two titles that were launched in 2010. Eight titles were launched in 2009 and 3 were 2008 or before. In comparison, 10 titles among the total 17 titles in the chart for the other companies’ platforms were launched in 2010, and 7 others were launched in 2009. Also in Europe , the newly launched software drive sales for other companies’ platforms.
Similarly to the U.S., probably due to the reason I explained about the launch of Call of Duty, a number of big titles were launched in this period for the other companies’ platforms, even compared to a year ago. While more of such titles were launched this year than in 2009, the 3 major Nintendo titles that launched since late last year remained in the higher positions of the chart, which is the significant difference from a year ago. On the other hand, a strong presence of Nintendo DS was not observed in comparison to a year ago, which may be showing the current momentum of the platform in the marketplace.
The trend for other companies’ platforms was similar to that in the U.S. Only a few titles such as Call of Duty and FIFA2010 soccer game continued to sell since their 2009 launches.

For your information, Just Dance that Ubisoft launched in November last year was ranked No.3 in this chart. The software was ranked No.11 in the U.S. chart. Because the software has been showing unusual and interesting sales transitions, I would like to discuss this software later.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
gofreak said:
I think this is the problem... Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft all seem to define 'Europe' as something completely different... :-/

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Baki said:
I'm assuming Europe but not the rest of the PAL regions.

Thanks. On hardware they're not so specific ('each country in Europe'...really? I highly doubt they're counting every single country..or do they mean the 'Gfk' ones?). Nintendo's commentary anyway:

Based upon the independent research companies’ data in each country in Europe, Nintendo has compiled this chart to compare the pan-European weekly sales of the home console hardware between 2010 and 2009. In Spain, the Three Kings sales season takes place in the first week of the year, which is the biggest gift giving sales season of the year. Because the Three Kings’ sales accounts vary significantly in the 1st week sales of the entire European market, the pan-European sales transitions are rather hard to be objectively observed when we include the Spanish sales. Accordingly, we are intentionally setting the 200,000 unit mark as the upper limit for the chart you are looking at.
Also in Europe, Black Wii hardware experienced an inventory shortage in January and February, except in the UK. Although we had some Black Wii inventories for the UK market, due to the different power plug configurations, we were not able to flexibly reallocate the supply. This is another area in which we must make an improvement. Also like in the U.S., Wii Fit Plus with Wii Balance Board has been experiencing a product shortage until quite recently and has since been showing gradual improvements starting from April.

Also similar to the U.S., 2010 has not seen a strong software lineup thus far for the Wii platform, while big titles were launched for other companies’ platforms one after another.
In the U.S., Xbox360 has been keeping the lead over PS3 this year. In Europe, on the other hand, while Xbox360 was showing the decline, PS3 has shown increase since the fall of 2009. It appears that the benefit of third party publishers’ big multiplatform titles has been mainly contributing to PS3.

Suzzopher

Xater said:
The game is terrible. I think the only enjoyment out of this game I got where the nice boothbabes dancing around at Gamescom. :lol

Nah, getting home from a night out with mates and ladies plus this and Singstar equals hours of post pub entertainment. I can see why it's been so successful.

BeeDog

I was certainly one of the GAF'ers that thought Heavy Rain would bomb hard. Pretty cool that it is doing well, I guess.

thechemist

Heavy Rain has done very well, especially considering that here in the UK there has been no price cuts or anything.

Baki

thechemist said:
Heavy Rain has done very well, especially considering that here in the UK there has been no price cuts or anything.

Is it bad of me to want the game the bomb so then the price collapses faster and I can pick it up on the cheap. :lol

yurinka

Zeouterlimits said:
Hmmm MW2 360 outsells the PS3 version in UK & Ire, so must be doing really well in the rest of Europe.
schennmu said:
Does this include UK as well? I mean, they kind of belong to Europe! :lol
edit: yes, it does.

Holy shit at Heavy Rain!!!

I think UK is just like 20% of the European market, and the Irish is really small one.

More specifically, Nintendo gathered and compiled the data from GfK’s researches in England, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands and Belgium.
So it includes the 7 biggest European markets. There is a ton of smaller countries more in PAL territories.

Baki

Baron Aloha said:
Someone mind posting the hardware numbers for those of us stuck behind a firewall?

No numbers only graphs.

I've also added the 2009 chart for comparison.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
user_nat said:
Microsoft is in a pretty sad state over there.

Live isn't officially supported in like half of the countries + piracy = what'd you expect?

Mad_Ban

360's tracking down quite a bit compared to last year. Could it be due to the lower PS3 price taking away potential customers?

Baki said:
All this information comes from the Nintendo Investor Website. Thanks to Road for finding this. I decided that it would be nice for this to have its own thread instead of being buried inside the PAL charts thread.

Considering what you were saying in the other thread what do you think about the PS3 and 360 HW numbers? You were making out as though the 360 is basically gone in Europe whilst the PS3 was way out infront.

Those HW numbers look much closer than i was expecting. Certainly the 360 situation in Europe looks no worse than the PS3's situation in the US pre-slim.

I think the combination of natal, a price cut, 360 slim (if it happens), halo reach and the massive advertising campaign that will accompany these things will give the 360 a significant boost. I think the 360 could outsell the PS3 in Europe for a while and will sell significantly more in the US at the end of this year.

Most people seem to be thinking the opposite but i think the 360 could go close to selling as much as the PS3 this year WW.

Cruzader

Banned
subversus said:
Live isn't officially supported in like half of the countries + piracy = what'd you expect?
Most of the PS3 games that sold well from the chart are single player and sold well...online has no effect I say.

Pooya

Instead wasting their time and money in Japan, Microsoft should have focused on EU market, they had a far better chance here.

20l.jpg

DS sales had a huge drop compared to last year.
PSP sales are flat, the system is dead.

Europe am Sony land after all. And I doubt that a price cut of the 360 would change the situation dramatically. Hell, the PS3 even sold pretty well at 599€ here.

ULTROS!

The way I see it, 360 is cheap enough already...

AdventureRacing said:
Considering what you were saying in the other thread what do you think about the PS3 and 360 HW numbers? You were making out as though the 360 is basically gone in Europe whilst the PS3 was way out infront.

Those HW numbers look much closer than i was expecting. Certainly the 360 situation in Europe looks no worse than the PS3's situation in the US pre-slim.

I think the combination of natal, a price cut, 360 slim (if it happens), halo reach and the massive advertising campaign that will accompany these things will give the 360 a significant boost. I think the 360 could outsell the PS3 in Europe for a while and will sell significantly more in the US at the end of this year.

Most people seem to be thinking the opposite but i think the 360 could go close to selling as much as the PS3 this year WW.

If GT5 gets released in EU this year X360 has no chance of outselling PS3 (in EU territories) whatsoever.

Top Bottom