• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Software Top 30 (Weeks 1 - 15, 2010) + Hardware

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
AdventureRacing said:
Considering what you were saying in the other thread what do you think about the PS3 and 360 HW numbers? You were making out as though the 360 is basically gone in Europe whilst the PS3 was way out infront.

Those HW numbers look much closer than i was expecting. Certainly the 360 situation in Europe looks no worse than the PS3's situation in the US pre-slim.

I think the combination of natal, a price cut, 360 slim (if it happens), halo reach and the massive advertising campaign that will accompany these things will give the 360 a significant boost. I think the 360 could outsell the PS3 in Europe for a while and will sell significantly more in the US at the end of this year.

Most people seem to be thinking the opposite but i think the 360 could go close to selling as much as the PS3 this year WW.

Here's also another possible problem: it was rumored that Natal will be announced at $150-$200.

lherre

Accurate
schennmu said:
Europe am Sony land after all. And I doubt that a price cut of the 360 would change the situation dramatically. Hell, the PS3 even sold pretty well at 599€ here.

Here X360 is cheaper than wii ...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Cruzader said:
Most of the PS3 games that sold well from the chart are single player and sold well...online has no effect I say.

I was talking about the install base. These titles sold well because the install base is big. Ant it's big because when you buy a console you know what it has to offer. Xbox 360 offers no official support of online, no official support of DLC and Live games and so on. And when it comes to single player games xbox is easily modded.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ULTROS! said:
Here's also another possible problem: it was rumored that Natal will be announced at $150-$200.

That's BS.

This thing will be cheap as chips. €/$60 with a game, mark it.

Look at current webcams...take the crop with HD video capture. They're like, 60 euro or so, and they are sold at a decent profit. The depth sensor cannot cost so much that it'd suddenly catapult a (likely) loss-leading peripheral into 3 digits. The removal of the processing hardware on the camera was the clearest sign possible that they're going to come in low with the price.

tzare

schennmu said:
Europe am Sony land after all. And I doubt that a price cut of the 360 would change the situation dramatically. Hell, the PS3 even sold pretty well at 599€ here.

so US and UK ar MS land then?

THE Caffeinated said:
Heavy Rain above Mass Effect 2, did not expect that.

Edit: That was some weird timing...

It still sounds like crazy talk.

Also GTAIV is charting after two years, wow.

tzare said:

The OP numbers include the UK... So make of that what you want.

tzare said:
No. Nintendo-land like everywhere else.

These figures do show that the 360 isn't doing so well worldwide as MS would like us to think. Clearly they have strong traction over the PS3 in the US market. However, between Europe and Japan I'd say it balances out to a point where there isn't much of a gulf between PS3 and 360 at all.

Still, everything may or may not change this fall, with the Move and Natal "re-launches". And the Vitality Sensor.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
gofreak said:
That's BS.

This thing will be cheap as chips. €/$60 with a game, mark it.

Look at current webcams...take the crop with HD video capture. They're like, 60 euro or so, and they are sold at a decent profit. The depth sensor cannot cost so much that it'd suddenly catapult a (likely) loss-leading peripheral into 3 digits. The removal of the processing hardware on the camera was the clearest sign possible that they're going to come in low with the price.

Have you also considered the prices of the other 360 peripherals? :p

Who knows, it can be expensive or cheap.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ULTROS! said:
Have you also considered the prices of the 360 peripherals? :p

They don't sell software. They were purely one-off profit grabs. MS can't and won't treat Natal like that.

tzare

Monty Mole said:
No. Nintendo-land like everywhere else.

These figures do show that the 360 isn't doing so well worldwide as MS would like us to think. Clearly they have strong traction over the PS3 in the US market. However, between Europe and Japan I'd say it balances out to a point where there isn't much of a gulf between PS3 and 360 at all.

That is the point. The whole world is Ninty land :D

Then some markets just have their particularities for their second choice, English spoken markets seem to go for MS , the rest (including Japan) seem to prefer Sony. Probably because they offer different things afterall

Raist

Banned
yurinka said:
So it includes the 7 biggest European markets. There is a ton of smaller countries more in PAL territories.

Yeah well these 7 markets probably represent 95% of the EU market anyways.

spwolf

interesting data for the multi platform games... our opinions ofter get skewed because almost only "hard" numbers we get are from UK, and they look very different to these numbers...

Satoru Iwata revealed European sales at Nintendo Investor Briefing.

10l.jpg

28l.jpg

19l.jpg

SmokyDave

Wow, some interesting stuff there. Really pleased with the performance of Heavy Rain, I loved the game and thought it deserved serious recognition.

Lagspike_exe said:
If GT5 gets released in EU this year X360 has no chance of outselling PS3 (in EU territories) whatsoever.

Well i disagree. I also don't think GT5 will move all that much HW. Halo 3 was a huge release for the 360 in the US and look how much HW it moved. I can see GT5 having a similar sort of impact on HW sales.

AdventureRacing said:
Well i disagree. I also don't think GT5 will move all that much HW. Halo 3 was a huge release for the 360 in the US and look how much HW it moved. I can see GT5 having a similar sort of impact on HW sales.
Well you would be wrong. The lowest selling GT main entry (2) sold 9.3. million Coupled with the fact that GT series first entry on a new console always considerably outsells the sequel, GT5 will hit 10 million units quite easily. Then you also have GT5P which sold nearly 5 million.. GT is gigantic in Europe.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Add me to the bunch thats surprised about the PS3 MW2 & sales. Not surprised about the PS3 & Wii HW though. Both remain very popular at least in the danish region.

Without numbers to put to these placements, doesn't this chart means relatively little given how small the numbers can often be coming from just the polled countries? I mean, placement is one thing, but most of those could probably be separated by single-digit thousands...even less. MW2 selling better on PS3 isn't all that surprising if we're looking at the countries accounted for where PS3 is dominant compared to X360, but then a game like that sold 70-90% of its LTD sales in last two months of last year (just prior to this chart's sampled period), shortly after it debuted to multiple-million-selling opening weeks. Just seems too vague to put any real value into without the hard figures.

Lagspike_exe said:
If GT5 gets released in EU this year X360 has no chance of outselling PS3 (in EU territories) whatsoever.
-Well,The PS3 was released in Europe on March 21,2007 with a retail price of €599/£420.
Code:
[URL="http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/769404325x0x205808/760a9ab2-306e-4f1e-bf1d-1d3be5f7ac98/Supplemental%20Segment%20Information.pdf"]EA:Estimated Hardware Sell-Thru[/URL]

Calendar Year 2007

PS3 2.8

360 1.9
-Of course,GT is Big in Europe

Gran Turismo Series Software Title List

-and looks like Sony can afford a price cut,so you are probably right on that.

PS3 Hardware Turns Profitable
Buy a PlayStation 3 system even without any games, and you'll be having a positive effect on Sony's bottom line. The PS3 hardware has at long last turned profitable.

According to a report at Reuters, PS3 hardware starting turning a profit for Sony at the end of March.

The Reuters report did not provide an indication about just how much Sony is making on the system at present. But it looks like these early profits are just the start. Mainichi reports that CFO Nobuyuki Oneda said, presumably during an earnings briefing, that with continued cost cutting measures, the system could reach double digit profitability in the near future.

wrowa said:
The Top 1 is 1 Wii title.

:lol

Great to see Heavy Rain so high up the chart and has sold well. Not many people would have expected that much.

Suprised GoW has already sold more than HR though. Good also to see Darksiders just get in there.

CozMick

Banned
Wow, and the NPD thread(s) had me thinking that Microsoft were dominant world wide. :lol

Nintendo are an unstoppable force but the Sony numbers are mind-blowing.

All this and no GT5 release...................

That game is going to explode in Europe.

Rad-

velvet_nitemare said:
How did Heavy Rain sell so much? Game had niche written all over it.

Probably the biggest marketing for an exclusive HD game I've seen this gen (here in EU). Hopefully Sony continues the trend.

Rad- said:
Probably the biggest marketing for an exclusive HD game I've seen this gen (here in EU). Hopefully Sony continues the trend.

Where do you live? I can't imagine it got more marketing than Halo 3 an d MW2.

noobie

Banned
Rad- said:

with the improvement in the bottom line of the by making the PS3 hardware profitable i think Sony will have more room to advertise strongly in its dominant markets atleast.

Lince

Banned
Rad- said:

not true, actually they mentioned in a podcast over here that Heavy Rain got almost zero exposition on TV / cinemas and other media compared to generic space marine shooter #65

Lince said:
not true, actually they mentioned in a podcast over here that Heavy Rain got almost zero exposition on TV / cinemas and other media compared to generic space marine shooter #65

Wasn't that for the US? I know it wasn't advertised here, but EU-GAF said it got a decent marketing push.

Top Bottom