• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS to support software installs ? [Nikkei]

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Just found this article/news

Nintendo has packed 3DS with so many features that it's not even promoting some of the major ones. Today's Nikkei detailed one such silent feature: software install.

According to the paper, gamers will be able copy 3DS software to internal memory. Multiple games can be stored with the system in this fashion. You'll be able to switch between games by selecting a title from the system's main menu.

The paper notes that due to this feature, there'll be no need to swap cartridges. When outside of the home, you won't need to carry game cartridges with you.

Nikkei is a financial paper, so it obviously didn't get into the specifics on how this installation system will work. We'll have to wait for Nintendo to provide clarification.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/17/3ds_software_install/

Megaton ?

cw_sasuke

Gravijah said:
What's the catch?

Dont know - but they must have some serious copy/piracy protection if they are allowing something where the cartdige dont even need to in the system...

Maybe its tied to your system account and every game will be registred as a purchase ?

Gravijah

cw_sasuke said:
DOnt know - but they must have some serious copy/piracy protection if they are allowing something where the cartdige dont even need to in the system...

System linked to an account name, each game to come with a CD-key (one time use?) to tie with the account?

Brashnir

Roders5 said:
Yeah there has to be a catch, to stop you just sharing around cartridges

the only thing I can think of is that it disables the cartridge when you copy it over.

Of course, you're then fucked if you drop the 3DS and break it with all your carts locked out.

Heeell yes. That's one of the reasons I play more DSi Ware atm.

This and central Friendlists and automatic downloads are very nice.

May I demand a huge fridge?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I assume games still come on cards. In that case they could simply have a small ram on each card that would lock it to a single device until you uninstall the game from your console.
Or an online registration system.

Chris R

Is there anything this thing WONT be able to do? Would be killer to be able to pop in my own flash memory card and install 3DS and DS games to it, aka I'd be willing to replace my DS Lite day 1.

How...what...whoa!

Nikkei was reliable with those additional 3DS details when it was first announced, so I tend to trust their sources.

swerve

Hahah. Way to kill the preowned market, Nintendo.

"This game can only be played and installed on this Nintendo 3DS system."

soco

Blimblim said:
I assume games still come on cards. In that case they could simply have a small ram on each card that would lock it to a single device until you uninstall the game from your console.
Or an online registration system.

yup. that's the only thing i can think of that they'd have. they could flag the physical card in some secure and encrypted piece of flash with the hardware key or something. no other would allow it if there's already one listed in there.

if that's the case, let's hope they have alrady throught about the replacement scenario!

cw_sasuke

Mush said:
This can't be right.
Thats what i thought - but its Nikkei and they have an cinvincing track record when it comes to revealing such informations.

I hope its true - this could be epic.

Gravijah

swerve said:
Hahah. Way to kill the preowned market, Nintendo.

"This game can only be played and installed on this Nintendo 3DS system."

Uhm, installations would be locked to the first purchaser, which I could deal with, you can still play the game... theoretically.

This seems too good to be true. It seems too easy to abuse (What would stop you from copying a game to internal memory and then giving the game card away to a friend?)

This would be perfect for me. I carry my DS everywhere I go, work, weddings, DMV. I could guess that it'd be required to lock the game onto the 3DS so that it could only be played on that specific title, then if you wanted to lend the game in question to a friend, you can unlock it later onward.

If that is even possible.

Nirolak said:
When was the last time the Nikkei was wrong?
*checks their original 3DS rumors*

Earlier this year said:
Japanese business publications Nikkei and Asahi have reported that the Nintendo 3DS will achieve its 3D effect using the "parallax barrier" technique developed by Sharp. In brief, this technique involves a secondary, overlapping screen with a series of precise slits that show a different set of pixels to both the right and left eyes, creating the illusion of depth.

Nikkei is also reporting that the Nintendo 3DS will be controlled with a tilt sensor, have a "three-dimensional" "stick" (we're assuming a traditional analog stick) and a built-in rumble feature.

Assuming they meant analog stick, and understanding that for all we know they are probably right about the 3D, they seem to be right so far.

Branduil

Nuclear Muffin said:
This seems too good to be true. It seems too easy to abuse (What would stop you from copying a game to internal memory and then giving the game card away to a friend?)
One time installs, and it's tied to an online account.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I assume there has to be a catch for this, otherwise you'd be able to pirate 3DS games by renting them from a video store.:lol

I guess the protection (it will potentially have) will prevent you from the latter?

Cipherr

Sweet merciful jesus. :lol :lol :lol

They are fucking killing it all of a sudden. Dipping into the money vault much? Good on them I guess. They really ARE feeling threatened perhaps in the portable space. This here seems like a direct attack on the ability that cellphones have.

Carrying a case of games is a negative vs a smartphone. They are on the offensive.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Impossible or else it'd be the perfect system.
And nothing is perfect.
ShockingAlberto said:
*checks their original 3DS rumors*

Assuming they meant analog stick, and understanding that for all we know they are probably right about the 3D, they seem to be right so far.
I want rumble!

Top Bottom