• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS to support software installs ? [Nikkei]

Mush

I don't see how there is any chance of the 3DS NOT being region locked. You expect them to simply go back on the DSi?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
If the card get locked after being installed on one system, this might definitively have an impact on the resale value of the card/games.

Slavik81

Osuwari said:
what i thought is that installs will have an internal timer and they'll delete themselves after certain amount of hours/days so you have to reinstall it later and can't keep your collection in the system forever.

that seems more plausible than locking your cart after installs.
Watch Timmy get angry when he takes his 3DS with him to the airport only to find that last night his favourite game uninstalled itself. The physical copy is in the checked baggage and Timmy's now cursing Nintendo throughout the course of the flight.

...not a good system. Software should not decompose. Imagine if you had to do that with software on your PC.

DiscoJer

I would really have to think the simplest way of doing this is have it activated online with a serial number - like a lot of PC software.

If you could tie a 3DS to an account, and then the software to the account, it would let you reinstall it as much as you want, or on multiple 3DSes (if they were tied to the same account).

Writing a flag to cartridges seems a lot more expensive/risky (if someone could figure out how to reset the flag).

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So I guess some sort of appstore for 3ds is on the cards then.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
cyberheater said:
So I guess some sort of appstore for 3ds is on the cards then.

There still will be digital distribution with 3DSWare and a possible Virtual Console 3D though.

DiscoJer said:
I would really have to think the simplest way of doing this is have it activated online with a serial number - like a lot of PC software.

If you could tie a 3DS to an account, and then the software to the account, it would let you reinstall it as much as you want, or on multiple 3DSes (if they were tied to the same account).

Writing a flag to cartridges seems a lot more expensive/risky (if someone could figure out how to reset the flag).

Your solution doesn't stop people from lending out their card to someone else. The problem isn't in the process of installation, it's in the process of installing the game and then giving the game away to someone else (who may then install and give it away again)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Vic said:
If the card get locked after being install on one system, this might definitively have an impact on the resale value of the card/games.
Battling pirates and renters/Gamestop customers in one go.

DiscoJer

Nuclear Muffin said:
Your solution doesn't stop people from lending out their card to someone else. The problem isn't in the process of installation, it's in the process of installing the game and then giving the game away to someone else (who may then install and give it away again)

Like PC games, the serial could only be used on one account.

1-D_FTW

Some of you guys are optimists about it only being active for one account at a time. I've been expecting one-time use account locks and this certainly plays into that fear.

Vic said:
If the card get locked after being install on one system, this might definitively have an impact on the resale value of the card/games.

Yeah. If it's like Steam, it'll be worth exactly 00 cents.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Unfortunately, I can see lots of ebay shenanigans on the horizon.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is it possible to write to a cart to make it locked to a single system?

You're going to have the stupid Wii problem again, where you have to send in your Wiis to Nintendo if you ever want to move your WiiWare/VC stuff from one system to another.

a.wd

If this is true, this wil be awaesome...like really amazing, ipod who? apsstore what? awesome.

My real question is, with the Nintendo magic, 3D games and movies, Accelerometer, Gyro, 3d camera, wifi and Dreamcast level graphics....How long will this thing be sold out? Seriously, as soon as most of the kids in my family, my mates, hell anyone with functioning eyes sees it they will be like...

2e3bzpx.jpg

I dont think i'll get my hands on one of these for 2 years....

linsivvi

They could always just lock the game to install on 1 system only. The card will still function after the install, but can't be installed to another system.

Koren

firehawk12 said:
Is it possible to write to a cart to make it locked to a single system?
Theorically, it's possible, you just have to "lock" a register on the cart.

Ideally, you should be able to uninstall the game on the 3DS, and unlock the cart (if they use this, you could install the game on SD, but you would NEED the registration keys to be written in the 3DS itself). I would love to see that (except if the 3DS breaks)

Polk said:
It could be something like this:
now you can save on the cards.
How about not only you could save progress, but also there was a flag which said that game was installed onto X handheld on Y account.
It would be "unusable" until you uninstall game after deleting game from 3DS memory with card in the slot?

This. My guess is that after it's installed on one 3DS you can't fully install it on another 3DS (save for demo purposes, time limit could be useful here) until you've uninstalled the game on your 3DS, or it senses that it's uninstalled. To clarify what I mean: You want to play game X but don't have enough memory. You want to delete game Y but don't have the cartridge at hand. You uninstall game Y and the next time you insert the cartridge it senses that it's not installed anymore and "unlocks" itself. While it's installed on a 3DS you can use the cartridge as usual, just not install it. To summarize:

• Install on 3DS, can't install on other 3DS's (maybe time-limited for demo purposes)
  • Use cartridge as a normal one (like todays DS)
  • Uninstall game, cartridge senses this and opens for another install

This would also solve the second-hand resale value. And for rental they'd just need a dedicated 3DS to install every game on (and then delete without ever putting the cartridge in again.)

EDIT: But that makes a problem with the saves... Maybe you could split the saves between the 3DS and cart when it's installed, and then move them back when the install is deleted.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Even though it will be a awesome feature. (even if it's locked to one system if you install) it will kinda suck if they locked you out from using the cart on a another system, as i tend to own multiple nintendo handhelds.:(

I'm betting they would do something like that to prevent abuse.

Mardak

I wonder if people are forgetting that cartridge games like DS games store your game save on the cart unlike optical disc-based mediums. Just like how you can save your progress on the cart and continue on a different DS, locking could work just the same. This wouldn't need the user to enter serial codes that require internet to verify.

The cart could actually even function as a demo allowing normal/partial play without saves, etc.

Sure, dedicated people could probably figure out how to reset the on-cart memory, but for most people, this would provide the convenience of not needing to carry around many individual carts.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Lafiel said:
Even though it will be a awesome feature. (even if it's locked to one system if you install) it will kinda suck if they locked you out from using the cart on a another system, as i tend to own multiple nintendo handhelds.:(

I'm betting they would do something like that to prevent abuse.
It can probably register a code to the 3DS, then flip a flag in the cart. That's the only way I see that working anyways.

So Nintendo licensed R4/Acekard technology? :lol

I'm waiting for the catch here, it won't be long before someone finds a workaround. They really have to have something good here to not have it backfire on them.

psy18

install to SD card like Wii.
But might need large internal memory to load the game.
Or maybe they can stream it right from SD.

one_kill

I think this is likely. Remember how Nintendo showed us an initial prototype for the DSi? The one that had two catridge slots?

Talked it with a friend. He speculated the following:

The rom is copied to the SD and encrypted on the fly with your own private key. (more like the game saves of the wii when copied to sd but with no intermediate CA probably) Then perhaps the cartridge is signed with your RSA key (public key). The cartridge now is bind to your 3ds. This stops the sales of preowned copies of the game.(we can't buy it, install it, and sell it). When you re-insert the cartridge maybe you unlock it again BUT you may need to delete the copy in the SD. If the lockd cartridge is inserted to another 3ds the mismatch of signatures REJECTS booting and installation.

One other thing - if 3ds had let's say a nvidia tegra for the 3ds titles they could use dsi's cpu as a hypervisor running or it's like starlet on the wii.

StevePharma said:
So Nintendo licensed R4/Acekard technology? :lol

I'm waiting for the catch here, it won't be long before someone finds a workaround. They really have to have something good here to not have it backfire on them.
Im completely stupid when it comes to the matter of proper security, but I can't help but think this is a suicidal move as well. I mean, what kind of tech could even allow them to do this without worry?

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Branduil said:
They could also make it so the install degrades after a certain period of time so you have to keep installing it.

Worst idea ever.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Graphics Horse said:
If it's true, the catch will be the cartridge no longer works with any other system. :lol
Mark my words.
:/

Is there a chance this is something that's been mistranslated? Copying stuff to internal memory could easily relate to the background downloading thing that the 3DS does, and maybe games aren't actually playable from SD card.

Maybe you can select your game and view a cut down version to see if anything's downloaded, or something, rather than having the ability to play it.

It does kinda make sense as that, if you read it again with that in mind.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Graphics Horse said:
You might be able to deinstall to make the card work again, but it's obvious they'd have to block it from multiple simultaneous installs some way.
Maybe they can just tie the activation to the online ID?

curls

Graphics Horse said:
You might be able to deinstall to make the card work again, but it's obvious they'd have to block it from multiple simultaneous installs some way.

So what if I want to buy a 3DS slim in the future? The cloud should handle this, not the user.

Vic

One idea I personally do not like is: Saves to be only stored on the 3DS device, not on the game card. That would suck big time IMO.

curls

Vic said:
One idea I personally do not like is: Saves to be only stored on the 3DS device, not on the game card. That would suck big time IMO.
An option to save to the cloud would be good. Save files are tiny so it should not be a problem.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Graphics Horse said:
Possible, but wouldn't that mean you'd be forced to register each game online when you plugged it in?
No one said that the installation is required for playing games though.

curls

I can see them adopting the itunes method, just replace the itunes software and PC with just an online store. You can authorise up to 5 machines, instead of excepting any old game file make it only work with purchased software. With the online aspect they remove the user handling installs and remain in full control.

Vic

curls said:
I can see them adopting the itunes method, just replace the itunes software and PC with just an online store. You can authorise up to 5 machines, instead of excepting any old game file make it only work with purchased software. With the online aspect they remove the user handling installs and remain in full control.
...This is a Nintendo gaming console we're talking about.

curls

Vic said:
...This is a Nintendo gaming console we're talking about.

That is competing with the app store and iPod touch.

Wichu

I think it will probably be timed. Having to 'refresh' it by inserting the game card every so often, otherwise the system locks the game.

The other viable solution would be one install at a time, but other 3DSes can still play it from the card. Only problem is that once someone figures out how to reset the card's memory, everything's screwed.

Top Bottom