• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS to support software installs ? [Nikkei]

Fourth Storm said:
So how much built in flash then? 1 GB? 8? Surely no more than 16...Can compression be used to store games?
They don't have to have flash

The demo units had SD card slots built in.

With CFW, you could install PSP games to run right off the memory card, this might be an official (and probably locked down) version of that.

Maybe the game can only be installed to one system and will otherwise require the cartridge.

Not being able to lend your game seems rather un-Nintendo-like.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
markot said:
Region locking so hard it restricts games to postcodes >.<!
Man the only THING that could put a dent on all the AWESOME 3DS news is the reveal that it's region-locked.:(

seady

Seeing how they mentioned games that are not in the system can still download and update content, this seems to make sense. There must be some game element from each game tie to the system despite it is in the system or not.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Whole game is cut and pasted.
Card left blank after install.
To delete, must insert blank game card.

;)

EDIT: Yeah, it's more than likely region locked. :(

smurfx

get some go again
Quadrangulum said:
That seems rather progressive. What's with Nintendo and all these new features?
they don't want the ipod touch stealing any kind of market share away from them.

AHHH!!! I know how they could do it!

They could have it so that when you copy the game to your 3DS' internal memory, the console flashes a unique signature to the game card itself - making it so that the game card will only play on that one machine.

That's the only viable way they could do it. Doing it with CD keys wouldn't work since you could still give the game away after using it (you just wouldn't be able to install it again)

squinters

astigmatic
On one hand, this is pretty dang awesome, as I'd never have to worry about forgetting or losing one of those tiny cartridges again.

On the other hand, they better allow you to play the games on multiple systems, as my eventual purchase of the superior 3DS revision would be stupid without it.

Cipherr

neoanarch said:
It probably is.

Probably? Cmon now, lets not get beyond our good sense here, it will be region locked, but still its a nice package. Worth the money for me. But Im already getting upset because I think they are going to fuck up supply for the launch.

dallow_bg said:
Whole game is cut and pasted.
Card left blank after install.
To delete, must insert blank game card.

;)

EDIT: Yeah, it's more than likely region locked. :(

Not possible with ROM carts (unless you're suggesting that they release the game on re-writable media. Which seems dangerously open to piracy in of itself)

I think its going to be safe if i just wait to the 3ds comes out to have a better handle on what it all does. All these game announcements and features, don't want this to turn into another PS3 announcement.

Branduil

Nuclear Muffin said:
AHHH!!! I know how they could do it!

They could have it so that when you copy the game to your 3DS' internal memory, the console flashes a unique signature to the game card itself - making it so that the game card will only play on that one machine.

That's the only viable way they could do it. Doing it with CD keys wouldn't work since you could still give the game away after using it (you just wouldn't be able to install it again)
They could if the install degrades after say, a month and you have to reinstall it again.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Nintendo will probably make you promise not to sell or give away your hard copy of the game.

Lafiel said:
Man the only THING that could put a dent on all the AWESOME 3DS news is the reveal that it's region-locked.:(

It will undoubtedly be. The DSi games are region locked, and so will 3DS games be. It's a given at this point.

But holy shit, if Nintendo brings this to the 3DS in a useable way, it will make traveling and keeping track of all my games a lot easier.

Osuwari

what i thought is that installs will have an internal timer and they'll delete themselves after certain amount of hours/days so you have to reinstall it later and can't keep your collection in the system forever.

that seems more plausible than locking your cart after installs.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Osuwari said:
what i thought is that installs will have an internal timer and thay'll delete themselves after certain amount of hours/days so you have to reinstall it later and can't keep your collection in the system forever.

Very interesting idea.

This is pretty cool if true. Having the option on Wii via homebrew really makes me wonder why they don't do something like that on consoles via Key verification of some sort.

Edit: I like Osuwari's idea. Very plausible.

Branduil said:
They could if the install degrades after say, a month and you have to reinstall it again.

Would be a good way to demo games to your friends too! (and solves the problem of single card multiplayer!)

But it still seems too open to abuse. You could just borrow a game from your friend and not buy it yourself (Though I guess you could say that this is the case anyway)

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Osuwari said:
what i thought is that installs will have an internal timer and they'll delete themselves after certain amount of hours/days so you have to reinstall it later and can't keep your collection in the system forever.

Timed installs? No thanks.

Slavik81

Branduil said:
They could also make it so the install degrades after a certain period of time so you have to keep installing it.
That's a horrible idea. Please, let us never speak if it again, lest someone take it seriously.

Edit: Oh god, too late!

Xater

Osuwari said:

Then they would have to make the saves seperate from the games.

Xater said:
Then they would have to make the saves seperate from the games.

Which they have indicated that they are doing, with games being able to save data onto the 3DS itself for the social aspect.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Hmmmm... what if they only let you install 95% of the game... while you had to download the last 5% from your online account to get it to run?

m.i.s.

Banned
Vic said:
Nintendo's solution against piracy?

This is what I was thinking.

Offer a legitimate convenience of having a number of games selectable from a menu - as you are able to do with R4 cards.

You can already register your games with those scratch-off club Nintendo points cards that come with 1st party and Nintendo published titles. Nintendo could just extend that scheme to all titles.

Branduil

Slavik81 said:
That's a horrible idea. Please, let us never speak if it again, lest someone take it seriously.
If this feature is real it's obviously going to be limited in some way. It's not going to just be "Reggie's Kickass ROM Ripper" built into the system.

Xater said:
Nomatter how awesome the device is I will still hate Nintendo for introducing that shit into handhelds.
I think you can probably blame either NOA or NOE about it. And a few third parties.

In the past, they were very bitchy about not being able to keep their schedules because people would import from one place instead of waiting for their home countries. Of course, if they just did worldwide launches this wouldn't be an issue, but....

I've heard Sega bitched over, like, Sonic something or another, since people were importing it from America in to Europe.

Branduil

ShockingAlberto said:
I think you can probably blame either NOA or NOE about it. And a few third parties.

In the past, they were very bitchy about not being able to keep their schedules because people would import from one place instead of waiting for their home countries. Of course, if they just did worldwide launches this wouldn't be an issue, but....

I've heard Sega bitched over, like, Sonic something or another, since people were importing it from America in to Europe.
Apparently just ruining the series itself isn't good enough for Sega. Now Sonic has to ruin all of gaming as well.

karas

I imagine it will work something like this: When you install a game on internal memory it writes a hardware code of your 3DS into a small writable area of the card, making it useless in any other device but the one which installed the game. Unlocking the card is then only possible after uninstalling the game first.

This could have quite an impact on rentals and used game sales. Rental shops and Gamestop will have to check every game to see if it's unlocked and I'd be weary to buy a game over something like Ebay since it would be very hard to tell if it's locked or not.

sprsk said:
PSP let you do this. I don't see why people are panicking?

It is Nintendo.

With each progressively more awesome feature they announce, people get more suspicious.

After the rumored achievements and now this, the existence of an attached string (a rather nasty one at that) seems almost certain.

syoaran

Because its Nintendo - and they have been very unpredictable in regards to piracy/region protection.

If this is true - I'd wager; You can only install games from your 3DS region (EU to EU, US to US etc etc), this ties into Nintendo selling DLC for portable gaming, cart is somehow written into your library, meaning its useless on the 2nd hand market (silver bullet against reselling?)

goomba

Banned
I also hear rumours of another few secret features like how the 3DS cures cancer and will end all poverty and war.

Polk

It could be something like this:
now you can save on the cards.
How about not only you could save progress, but also there was a flag which said that game was installed onto X handheld on Y account.
It would be "unusable" until you uninstall game after deleting game from 3DS memory with card in the slot?

Top Bottom