• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Parasite Eve 3)rd Birthday: new screens

Skilletor

Takao said:
This game is probably a test. If it sells well there will probably be another console iteration, if it doesn't, PE goes back into hibernation.

If it does well, we'll get a 3D Birthday.

Skilletor said:
If it does well, we'll get a 3D Birthday.

if it does well, they're gonna make it their fourth pillar after FF, DQ, and KH. after all, with the main heroine concept of being kept young by her mitochondria they can keep making games for her forever.:lol

Shadow780

chandoog said:
What's the gaf hive mind say

PE1 or PE2 .. which was the better one

parasite-eve-pic1.png

chandoog said:

If you prefer a better story/atmosphere/characters, PE1.

If you prefer far more polished gameplay and production value, PE2.

I prefer PE2 myself. It's also more replayable thanks to a good variety of unlockable modes. I know you can grind for stats in PE1, but it's just grinding, not to mention the gameplay is imbalanced (handgun > all, only 2-3 good spells). PE2 offers good fun modes, and the spells are more useful and have a lot more variety.

The main complaint about PE2 are the tank controls, but if you're played older RE games it won't be a problem.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Pureauthor said:
Wow. Her jeans look more and more ruined in every new pic they show.
Next thing you know, she'll be rocking the Lady Gaga look with no pants.

And hopefully a fire-shooting bra.

Ricker

Eteric Rice said:
How is Parasite Eve 1? Does it still hold up today?

I found it at a pawn shop for like 7 bucks. Might stick it in my PS3.

Ummm like many have said hehe....yes,absolutly,great game.

Dambrosi

Banned
Takao said:
This game is probably a test. If it sells well there will probably be another console iteration, if it doesn't, PE goes back into hibernation.
Then why are they putting it on PSP?

...oh.

Still looking forward to it, though. Loved the original.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
No. It's very obvious what's going on. They feel that they don't need to call it Parasite Eve to sell it as a Parasite Eve game. Aya Brea is basically enough to make the game recognizable to anyone who has played the previous games. To anyone who hasn't, it doesn't matter.
Well yes, that works fine for this title, but the problem comes when they decide to make a fourth Parasite Eve game.

Unless they intend to call the next game The 3rd Birthday 2, they have to not only advertise the game itself, but also advertise that it's the sequel to The 3rd Birthday. For people who follow games closely that's not an issue, but I imagine they intend to actually grow the fanbase overtime, and having to re-advertise each entry as part of the franchise is counterproductive.

It's especially uncharacteristic for Square Enix since they like to use their franchise names on just about everything they make, even if it doesn't always make sense. :lol

Of course, I guess they could actually intend to call the series The 3rd Birthday, but it just seems like a rather odd title for a franchise.

Sacha said:
I wonder if they have this in poster format.

I really like the new art direction for this game.

Aya... it's been far too long... :D

I also understand some of the frustration regarding this not being a console release. Parasite Eve was a pretty massive production back in '98- and PE2 was no slouch, either. I think a lot of people (myself included) felt PE, as a series that had a lot of potential, deserved some kind of significant follow-up that could just blow the doors off the most powerful console hardware at the time.

Square just kind of gave up on the series. Maybe it had to do with Sakaguchi's encouragement being gone?

After 10 years and an entire generation missed (PS2), I'm just happy to have a new game in the series. I own a PSP, but I don't do a lot of 'on-the-move gaming'... and hell yeah I'd rather have a PE sequel with PS3/360 graphics and effects.

I'll take what I can get, though (and this looks fantastic for a PSP game)... and sweet mother of god... at least it's not a cell-phone game like originally planned. :lol

I'm sure this will be localized outside of Japan, but does anyone have any more concrete info or confirmation that SE is planning to bring this to the rest of the world?

StuBurns

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I'm sure this will be localized outside of Japan, but does anyone have any more concrete info or confirmation that SE is planning to bring this to the rest of the world?
They are. It was in the Sony E3 conference.

chandoog said:

Of course PE2, it was almost the perfect combination of traditional Survival Horror gameplay and RPG elements.

The main problem was the floaty controls.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Relaxed Muscle said:
Of course PE2, it was almost the perfect combination of traditional Survival Horror gameplay and RPG elements.

The main problem was the floaty controls.

Of course...what? The general consensus is that PE1 was vastly superior. Better story, more interesting setting and locations, deeper game mechanics.. Parasite eve was always unfairly labeled as a Biohazard clone when it was so much more, then Square turns around and makes PE2 an actual Biohazard clone.

I guess if you like more survival horror than RPG in your games then you might prefer PE2.. but most people would disagree with you.

Yasae

Banned
luka said:
Of course...what? The general consensus is that PE1 was vastly superior. Better story, more interesting setting and locations, deeper game mechanics.. Parasite eve was always unfairly labeled as a Biohazard clone when it was so much more, then Square turns around and makes PE2 an actual Biohazard clone.

I guess if you like more survival horror than RPG in your games then you might prefer PE2.. but most people would disagree with you.
The thing about PE2 is that it's not an evolution of the first. It takes away some elements of the combat system and adds others. The removal of ATB; the addition of effective dodging. The removal of flexible gun upgrades; the addition of unique weapons. A low number of overall spells; a greater number of useful spells. Nearly every move is lateral.

The production values are a tad better, especially considering things like the background FMV that moves with you at the Akropolis tower, the character models, the settings, spell effects etc. The story itself is just enough to keep you moving on. It's not nearly as introspective and connected as the first game. Some of the stuff about Neo Mitochondrion creatures towards the end is downright crazy and very hard to swallow.

I have a difficult time comparing it to the first. It's less traditional and has fewer RPG elements compared to its predecessor, but in some ways that's welcome (at least for me.) The settings are a little more interesting overall and despite my disbelief upon arrival at
Neo Ark
, it's easily compelling enough to keep playing through.

Aeana

PE2 has tank controls even if you use the analog stick. I mean, really? :| PE1 has great use of analog!

Besides that, though, I really, really prefer the battles in PE1. They're really cool and unique, and PE2 took all of it away.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
jiggle said:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2uz78g2.jpg

Someone avatar-ize this for me, please?

I can't wait, but I know Square-Enix is going to screw up the game somewhere and make me hate the fact that I've been wanting a Parasite Eve 3 for a decade now that I'm willing to let them (Square-Enix) do it even though most of the good (Squaresoft) is gone now. :(

Also I don't mind it going into a third person squad shooter. I mean the second was a Survival Horror clone in the style of Biohazard (but I preferred it's battle system over Parasite Eve 1's BY FAR. Just needed RPG leveling up and some more PE's), so long as the RPG element (however slight) is still in, I'm game.

chandoog said:

A lot of people are going to say one, but I enjoyed 2's battle system a lot more (and didn't mind the location, barring the ":/"-worthy story).

But hell, I enjoy the hell out of Parasite Eve (if I could marry a game, it would be this series), so I say: Both. They're some of the most innovative/out-there games for the PSX's time that have a cult following (though the PE3rd Birthday seems to be getting it some recognition from the mainstream finally all these years later).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Urban Scholar said:
When we saw the clip during the Sony E3 presser, I was under the impression it may not that long until English release.

They did say all the games in the montage would be out before the end of the year. Who knows, "Square-Enix time" and all.

glaurung

I wonder if the game will have some kind of an awesome co-op system.

After seeing how good Peace Walker can be in co-op, I think they should do it.

Otherwise, awesome new screens. I suppose the bars with names in the lower right are for vital persons who you can jump to and from? Interested how that kind of juggling will work out in the end.

CryptiK

Graphics dont look all that great(been spoiled by KHBBS) but I guess to be fair this is trying to render some realistic environments(buildings etc.)

CryptiK said:
Graphics dont look all that great(been spoiled by KHBBS) but I guess to be fair this is trying to render some realistic environments(buildings etc.)

Noruma has stated that he will try to make it the best looking PSP game to date. It would be safe to assume its going to look far better come release.

duckroll

Urban Scholar said:
Noruma has stated that he will try to make it the best looking PSP game to date. It would be safe to assume its going to look far better come release.

Since they've waited this long to finally show it, I'm pretty sure these visuals are pretty definitive. The game is coming out by the end of this year, so it's silly to think that it's going to suddenly look a ton better. I don't think it looks bad at all, maybe not the best looking PSP game ever, but hey everyone has to try to talk their own products up right?

duckroll said:
I don't think it looks bad at all, maybe not the best looking PSP game ever, but hey everyone has to try to talk their own products up right?

Dually noted, after all in motion is a world of difference.

CryptiK

Now I read the Plot line on this game and is it at all related to the previous games storywise or is this like a reboot?

glaurung

The graphics look great, I think this looks as nice as Peace Walker, but the constant on-screen effects and faster action will make it look even better.

MechaX

CryptiK said:
Now I read the Plot line on this game and is it at all related to the previous games storywise or is this like a reboot?

It takes place in the same universe and the stuff from the first two games did happen, but from what we know now, they're scaling back on the mitochondria/cellular revolution aspect of the story so it'll be loosely related to the previous two games.

BlueWord

This whole clothes degeneration thing is incredibly lowbrow, and so blatant. Hearing Nomura try to explain/defend it made me :lol .

Game looks good, though. I'm really surprised they're rezzing this series. What's next? A Chrono game?

Phew. This thread is such a relief, I had this horrible nightmare a long time ago that a new PE would only be coming out on cell phones or some such. Scary, scary stuff.

Might have to agree with some of the graphics naysayers tho, it does look a little scruffy. The only thing that "spoiled" me were the gorgeous pre-rendered graphics of the first two games. Central Park in the snow was a particular standout, as was the first tower area in PE 2. Speaking of which, I'm a little surprised at the lack of love for PE 2 in this thread. Sure, it wasn't as good as the first, but how could it have been? PE was like the best action rpg ever. PE 2 was a perfectly competent entry in the series and certainly shouldn't be missed.

Also, it had a
shower scene.

Top Bottom