• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Parasite Eve 3)rd Birthday: new screens

mello

Don said:
Looks great.

Did the previous two games ever get released in Europe, and are they worth trying to play before this comes out?

Only PE2 made it here. Won't play that until I play PE1, and there is no way for me to play that either! Looks like I'm gonna have to miss out on Third Birthday too. :(

K' Dash

Don said:
Looks great.

Did the previous two games ever get released in Europe, and are they worth trying to play before this comes out?

No, and yes. 1 is too rpg-ish, 2 changed the gameplay completely, plays kinda like a RE.

Domstercool

I prefered 1 over 2 myself, mainly for the battle mechanics. 2 certainly had it's better implementations though, gunblade featured for the win :D

No_Style

So the original P.E is the only one in the series worth revisiting? How does it hold up?

Is it even worth revisiting for this game since they seem to be drastically different.

duckroll

Dedication Through Light said:
lol Im so confused on what this game is. Is it just like a third person shooter, I guess?

It's an action RPG. There is no aiming. You press a lock-on button to target enemies, and you press another button to shoot at them with the selected weapon.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
PE2 is a decent game worth checking out, but it pales in comparison to PE1 because they changed a lot of stuff that made the original awesome and unique. PE2 is basically old-school Resident Evil with RPG elements.

Also, whoa, I just checked PE2 on eBay and it's going for $40+ these days? Damn :lol

Really liked the first one, second one wasn't too bad, I really hope this game is good. Parasite Eve was one of the first games I played on playstation so I have a special liking of it. :D

Is there any kind of legal barriers keeping PE1&2 from hitting the PSN?

I loved PE1 but never got to play PE2. I would like to replay both before I play this.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Is there any kind of legal barriers keeping PE1&2 from hitting the PSN?

Probably not worth the licensing on Squenix's part ?

Couldn't they just change the names to 1st and 2nd Birthday?
Seems odd to push a sequel to a game most people haven't played in over a decade and for that matter won't be able to play without seeking out used copies.

brandonh83 said:
eh I don't think anyone could see anything from this game and not know it's Parasite Eve unless they've never had any history with the series before.

This statement was made in regards to Parasite Eve seeing a re-release in some form or another.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Couldn't they just change the names to 1st and 2nd Birthday?
Seems odd to push a sequel to a game most people haven't played in over a decade and for that matter won't be able to play without seeking out used copies.

eh I don't think anyone could see anything from this game and not know it's Parasite Eve unless they've never had any history with the series before.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Really looking forward to this.

duckroll said:
It's not just a digital release that is unlikely. If you look at Square's re-release track record, the first Parasite Eve is the only blockbuster in Japan in their library which has never seen a re-release in any form. There has to be some reason for that. The original PE sold almost 1 million copies in Japan, yet it has never been re-released on any budget line. PE2 on the other hand did get a Millennium Collection re-release in Japan.

There's definitely something up with the series' licensing, because it's even more unusual that they would abandon the series title and go for a third game with 3 in the title, but not Parasite Eve. :lol
What's even more bizarre to me is that they didn't assign the series a new franchise title and left it as "Parasite Eve" in their financial report.

It's like they still can't decide whether they want to re-license the name or not.

I get the feeling that by the time this launches it will either be called "Parasite Eve: The 3rd Birthday" or "________: The 3rd Birthday" since they really seem to want this as a franchise again, and constantly switching names every entry is the opposite of helpful when doing that.

RickA238

duckroll said:
It's not just a digital release that is unlikely. If you look at Square's re-release track record, the first Parasite Eve is the only blockbuster in Japan in their library which has never seen a re-release in any form. There has to be some reason for that. The original PE sold almost 1 million copies in Japan, yet it has never been re-released on any budget line. PE2 on the other hand did get a Millennium Collection re-release in Japan.

There's definitely something up with the series' licensing, because it's even more unusual that they would abandon the series title and go for a third game with 3 in the title, but not Parasite Eve.

The reason PE1 has never been re-released may be related to the book/movie rights; Parasite Eve was a fairly popular book adapted into a movie, before becoming a game:

Book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasite_Eve
Movie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasite_Eve_(series)#Film

I imagine the rights for the first game may still be shared by Vertical, Inc. and ADV Films in the US (don't know about Japanese publishing rights). I would think this applies to naming rights as well. The "Parasite Eve" branding as a video game may have been sold as timed rights, which have since expired. Maybe renewing those rights became messy between PE2 and 3rd Birthday, with all the stakeholders (author, movie producers, etc.) Regardless, the first one is still awesome, I'm glad I still own my original copy. The included Xenogears demo made it that much more valuable to me at the time.

Spiegel

Andriasang has posted the expanded interview:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/25/3rd_birthday_staff_interview/

S-E wants The 3rd Birthday to be the starting point for a new series and a console game is possible.

Said Nomura, "There are many who call it Parasite Eve 3, but it's not a sequel in the Parasite Eve series but a new piece of content called The 3rd Birthday. The tense battles that have a horror-action style, the event scenes which aim to be the highest level on PSP, the cut-ins that are made with overseas movies in mind -- we believe you'll be able to enjoy a somewhat adult world."

Ryn

Loved the first one, haven't played 2 yet. Gotta attempt to hunt it down. Can't wait for this one.

glaurung

Ryn said:
Loved the first one, haven't played 2 yet. Gotta attempt to hunt it down. Can't wait for this one.
Careful with that second game there.

It is a great deal weaker than the first one, more like RE rather than Parasite Eve.

Loved the first PE (got to 70th floor of the Chrysler Tower). Enjoyed the second one a bit but never beat it.

The cut scenes look great but the gameplay pictures look decent. Don't know if I'm sold on the battle system yet. Hopefully they bring back the guns and different ammo/effects/mods from PE1(PE2 didn't have as many guns iirc)

duckroll

Nirolak said:
Really looking forward to this.

What's even more bizarre to me is that they didn't assign the series a new franchise title and left it as "Parasite Eve" in their financial report.

It's like they still can't decide whether they want to re-license the name or not.

I get the feeling that by the time this launches it will either be called "Parasite Eve: The 3rd Birthday" or "________: The 3rd Birthday" since they really seem to want this as a franchise again, and constantly switching names every entry is the opposite of helpful when doing that.

No. It's very obvious what's going on. They feel that they don't need to call it Parasite Eve to sell it as a Parasite Eve game. Aya Brea is basically enough to make the game recognizable to anyone who has played the previous games. To anyone who hasn't, it doesn't matter.

2uz78g2.jpg

Guys, can someone help me find a higher-res version of this artwork?

MechaX

No_Style said:
So the original P.E is the only one in the series worth revisiting? How does it hold up?

Aya runs ungodly slow, but if FF8-style graphics don't bother you, you'll make it through fairly well.

Personally, I didn't really find the second one bad, rather than just different. If you've played a classic Resident Evil game before, you'll make it through PE2 pretty easily.

Ricker

Anyone asking if it`s worth it to play the first...yes it`s absolutly worth it,even if you take away the nostalgia part,obviously from those who never played it,it was one of the first game with awesome cut scenes(even by today`s standard so you can imagine back then) and a nice hybrid type gameplay...check out the rat transformation scene if you can...a little spoilery I guess but awesome;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNL8b6Sm3SE

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Ricker said:
Anyone asking if it`s worth it to play the first...yes it`s absolutly worth it,even if you take away the nostalgia part,obviously from those who never played it,it was one of the first game with awesome cut scenes(even by today`s standard so you can imagine back then) and a nice hybrid type gameplay...check out the rat transformation scene if you can...a little spoilery I guess but awesome;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNL8b6Sm3SE

I started replaying it the other night, still a very fun game. I haven't played it since it was first released.

Overdrive to... take over ally soldier bodies? Looking to be a straight up shooter with "horror" monsters? Huh?

With all these departures, I'm starting to think the game isn't even related to the series, with Aya shoehorned to get PE fans to get the game. : / I got really hyped when I heard the PE theme from the TGS09 trailer, but as more news come out, the less it sounds like PE.

Skilletor

Leviathan1 said:
This is for the PSP? What a wasted opportunity. This game would have rocked on the PS3.

It'll rock on psp!

Wolf Akela said:
Overdrive to... take over ally soldier bodies? Looking to be a straight up shooter with "horror" monsters? Huh?

With all these departures, I'm starting to think the game isn't even related to the series, with Aya shoehorned to get PE fans to get the game. : / I got really hyped when I heard the PE theme from the TGS09 trailer, but as more news come out, the less it sounds like PE.

Iuno, with 1 & 2 playing so different, it's hard to say what "defines" Parasite Eve, so to speak. I prefer the rpg elements, but I'm excited they're exploring the franchise yet again.

MechaX

Leviathan1 said:
This is for the PSP? What a wasted opportunity. This game would have rocked on the PS3.

Not a smart post with Duckroll on the prowl in this thread alone.

And even then, it doesn't matter too much if the game rocks regardless of the platform, which it seems to at the moment.

Looks... very different from the other games. Aya doesn't really look like the Aya from Parasite Eve 1/2. She looks more feminine in this. Meh.

Oh well, I guess.

Iuno, with 1 & 2 playing so different, it's hard to say what "defines" Parasite Eve, so to speak. I prefer the rpg elements, but I'm excited they're exploring the franchise yet again.
My worry is that if this is gonna be a fast-paced shooter, I feel that there's just too much risk of this being Dirge of Cerberus part 2, which was a lot more about style rather than substance. PE1 was great because of the unique customization. PE2 was great because of the revamped PE system (majority are actually useful!) and the fantastic variety of weapons, all of which are quite viable and fun to use. Not to mention, it was also a very challenging game and felt scarier, even though PE1 had better atmosphere.

Skilletor

Wolf Akela said:
My worry is that if this is gonna be a fast-paced shooter, I feel that there's just too much risk of this being Dirge of Cerberus part 2, which was a lot more about style rather than substance. PE1 was great because of the unique customization. PE2 was great because of the revamped PE system (majority are actually useful!) and the fantastic variety of weapons, all of which are quite viable and fun to use. Not to mention, it was also a very challenging game and felt scarier, even though PE1 had better atmosphere.

I agree, and I have the same concerns. :)

But it seems as if SE is taking this semi-sequel seriously, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Their output on psp has been fantastic so far. :D

Looks... very different from the other games. Aya doesn't really look like the Aya from Parasite Eve 1/2. She looks more feminine in this. Meh.

Oh well, I guess.

she didn't look that different. the face that is. what's different is her expression. don't know what happen with her in this one, but she just look sad all the time. she never give that impression before

Takao

Banned
Leviathan1 said:

This game is probably a test. If it sells well there will probably be another console iteration, if it doesn't, PE goes back into hibernation.

Top Bottom