• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I dyed my hair from black to white.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinNL

Well, as white as it can get.

First, this is how my hair used to look like:

blackhair.jpg

Screenshot of a video of my natural black hair color.

So I've been dyeing my hair in the past before but I decided to stop that, so the last few years I had my pure natural asian black hair. I promised myself not to dye it anymore unless it's going to be white. Well, somehow I got bored and started this project.

I ordered 3 bleaches and 1 extra blonde toner on a whim.

3238970_1_Loreal_Paris_Perfect_Blonde_Super_Blonde.jpg

The bleach I bought 3 packages of.

While I ordered the stuff on a whim, I didn't decide to use it right away. Last weekend though, I decided to do it. I planned to bleach once, wait a week or 2 so my hair restores a bit and repeat for 2 more times.

What really happened is that I bleached it and it looked like bronze-ish orange. Clown orange. When I walked out of the shower and saw it for the first time I laughed at myself. The problem here is that I did this on a Saturday, but the upcoming Monday there was going to be an open evening for people to check a room that's available in the house that I live in.

I decided I'll just follow my plan (of letting my hair restore after each session) and went to sleep on that Saturday.

Sunday I woke up and looked at the mirror and I simply just changed my mind. So I threw in the 2nd bleach. It stung a bit compared to the first bleach attempt. When I washed it off it looked like it was yellow-ish orange. What's with the orange!? My hair felt very very dry and brass without conditioners but I didn't want to leave it at that, so instead of using all my bleaches I went and used the extra blonde toner.

After that (painfully stingy!) session it was mostly yellow. Some parts are lighter and some parts still had a hint of orange. I actually looked like a Super Saiyan* so I decided to keep that for a bit. So I welcomed people into the house with a yellow haircut (and since my style is usually to spike it up manga style, you could say it was a Super Saiyan haircut). Surprisingly only 1 of the guests had the guts to comment on my hair, but the rest didn't when we asked: Is there anything weird you've noticed about us?
A bonus point for that person.

* Goku Transforms To A Super Saiyan (HD)

Anyway, so that was Monday (yesterday) and today I just decided to wrap it up since I can't stand having unfinished goals. So I went to a professional stylist and two very friendly ladies helped me out. I said I wanted white and we tried to work out a solution. While it's kind of impossible to really get white, my first priority was to get rid of the yellow.

So they bleached it one more time, but this was much more professional than how you do it with a home product. They do it carefully layer by layer. I sat there for an hour and the last few minutes started to sting a bit but I was used to that. Washed it off and there was only a slight hint of yellow left, amazing! (Normally you can't get all the colors away with just bleach).

So there was no white solution and we went for an ash color.
IT HURTS LIKE HELL. From the moment it was put on 'till the end. I've had broken bones, torn muscles and whatnot, this is definitely up there with one of the most painful moments in my life (not including emotional pain**). After seeing this video I thought I knew about the pain that comes with ash dye, but man, I was definitely not prepared for it.

** Yeah, I know what you're thinking: Emo!

itburns.jpg

Video from a person who did something similar. It burns.

Good thing they cover you up when they work on your hair. So under that blanket thingy I pinched on my skin as hard as I could, because I remembered a quote from a Jim Carrey interview about the Grinch that the suit hurts so much that he had to learn from someone to hit on his leg, because localized pain makes the overall pain more bearable. It worked for a bit, but I don't want to ever go through that again.

That said, when it has been washed off it looked quite interesting. Then my hair was blown dry and I loved it! (It's darker when wet)

It's not exactly white but as a pure black hair asian guy, I think this is a hair color I can be proud of (in an achievement kind of sense, taste of whether it's actually good depends from person to person, but I like it personally):

MCPhoto_20100629_203510.png

Mission accomplished: Black to White.

This is my final hair dye in my life, so thank you for reading my story. I hope you enjoyed it and my apologies if I wasted your time, but I just felt like sharing.

I don't get the white hair thing. You'll have plenty of years for white hair when you hit 60+. Enjoy having color while you're young!

But anyways, uh, congrats!

Bentendo

I don't like it when people dye their hair. Please change it back because it honestly does not look better (
or even good
).

VAIL

disappeared said:
I don't get the white hair thing. You'll have plenty of years for white hair when you hit 60+. Enjoy having color while you're young!

I'm 37 and the white is comin in fast and furious.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
more pics, im thinking of trying this but with some hair left black so people know im not an old man.

ShinNL

disappeared said:

A tiny influence from gaming, as I have these posters on my wall:

411308-sc2_ivy.jpg

devil_may_cry3_2.jpg

If I don't wax my hair and pose the same way as Dante I actually have almost exactly the same hair.

I'm going to a cosplay convention next month (not sure what character yet, but I wanted someone with white hair), so that's was also part of the reason to dye it. I personally don't dislike white.

Anyway, thanks.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
-COOLIO- said:
more pics, im thinking of trying this but with some hair left black so people know im not an old man.
So instead you look like a skunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom