• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alinea: My dining experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this 4th of July, instead of partaking in the usual revelry of drunken grilling and dangerous fireworks, my friends and I decided to go to Alinea. As I'm sure some of you are aware, Alinea is one of the highest ranked restaurants in the country, if not the world. It's headed by Grant Achatz who worked with Thomas Keller before setting off on his own. Since then, it's won numerous awards, and has been praised as one of the biggest draws for foodies to Chicago. So why'd we decided to go on the 4th? Well, it was the only time we could get reservations (that we booked about 2 months ago) and my friend and I had finished probably our most grueling year of work. This was our celebration.

Short version: this was one of the most incredible meals of my life. It's not something I'd do every day... hell if I do it again, likely not for a few years, but the whole thing was an experience from start to finish. I was absolutely amazed by the creativity of the food, and the combination of flavors. I'll try to spare the borderline, scarily-sexual descriptions of the food that you get in a lot of foodie blogs, and just try to focus on my thoughts during the whole thing.

One note: I did NOT bring a camera, because 1) I didn't want to be that annoying guy with the flash camera going off every 10 minutes, and 2) I wanted to enjoy my food, without the stress of trying to "document" my time there. All the pictures that are coming up are from finding them on the web from blog sites, etc. I also don't have pictures for all of the courses either which amazes me that Achatz is constantly changing his menu all the time.

Long version::
Like I mentioned, we made this reservation 2 months ago. That gave me enough time to save money for this excursion.

The last two weeks, my diet pretty much consisted of this:
Neoguri.JPG

Ah, dehydrated nitrate-laden Korean noodles. Where would I be without you?

Anyhow there were 4 of us that went. My friend from work, one of her friends, and then my friend who lived 2 hours away. Our reservation was at 7:30. I put on my best wedding/funeral/strip-club suit and I was on my way.

alinea1.JPG

The first thing I noticed was that there's no sign outside. When the cab dropped us off, I was confused but luckily there was a dude waiting for us opening the door. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have found it. The entrance was weird too. The hallway tapered off like in that Simpsons episode when they rebuilt Flanders' house with the small Barney-door. The hallway to the left was the restaurant proper.
alinea20060817_entrya.jpg

After we got seated, we were told about the two menus; one was a 13 course tasting one, and the other was a 26 course tour. We had anticipated this, and we knew full well that if we were doing this... we were gonna go all out. They also had an option of wine pairings which was 3/4 the cost of the food. I and my work-friend opted not to do this, but the other two went for it. So there we waited, in abated anticipation of this 26 course monstrosity...

Courses:
English Pea: This was the starter. It was a dehydrated soup, freeze-dried and thawed a bit with sherry, inberico and a pearl of honeydew. I normally don't like pea soup, but this was really good. Creamy with the hint of sweetness. A nice way to start off.
english-peas-alinea.jpg

Lobster: I really wish I could find a picture of this. This was essentially a lobster, breaded with lychee and gruyere with a vanilla bean stick as a skewer. This was really good, and one of the highlights of the night.

Yuba::A Yuba stick with shrimp wrapped around it with a miso sauce, and togarashi. This was very good, but after the lobster was a little less fantastic.
foodiefinder-alinea-yuba.jpg

Chao Tom: This came out the same time as the Yuba. It was a sugar cane with a shrimp flavor, and mint. You were meant to bite in, chew then spit it out into a napkin. Biting into this, you immediately got the shrimp, but as you chewed the sweetness kicked in.
alinea.09.1217.03.jpg

Distillation: This was a tease of the next course afterwards. It was literally a shot of a distillation of flavors. I think we picked up on lemongrass, curry, and cucumber on it.
Distillation.jpg

Pork Belly: Easily one of the highlights of the evening. When we first sat down, there were 4 flags of rice paper in the middle which sat there until this course. For this though, we were given this apparatus to place the rice paper in along with ingredients on the glass including red onions, cashews, curry, coconut, cucumber, lime. Pork belly was then placed in the middle of the rice paper, we added the other ingredients and ate this like a wrap. This was really, really good...

The flags (again not my pics):
4043260165_9867c784f8.jpg

The other ingredients:
4043260291_13272ef9df.jpg

Deliciousness of pork belly being added:
4044006120_54a6678727.jpg

Fantastic.

King Crab: This was a multi-tiered course. We had a bowl that was brought out, which revealed a King crab panna cotta with a basil jelly underneath. This was then removed, to reveal a King crab salad, and finally this was removed revealing a King crab rich consomme. The last layer was really rich and creamy.

First part:
king-crab-first-tier-alinea.jpg

Second:
king-crab-warm-salad-second-tier-al.jpg

And finally:
king-crab-creamy-sauce-third-tier-a.jpg

Octopus:: This was a quick bite of an octopus with red wine over a fava bean soup. This was okay but not as good as the previous courses.

Lamb: This was okay. There was lamb three ways, part of the loin, fat and another part (didn't catch which part.)

Hot potato: It looks like this is kind of a signature dish of Alinea. It's a potato with a truffle over it, you pull the pin, it goes into the cold potato soup and you take it as one shot. The truffle with the potato and the mix of the hot and cold was great.
alinea_hot_potato.jpg

Malt, Bacon, and Nutella: These three came out at once. This seemed like a palate cleanser. The Malt was a mix of berry, and toffee. This was one of the best sweet items of the night. The bacon was hanging on this see-saw thing and was flavored with butterscotch, apple and thyme. You initially got the sweet flavors but then the saltiness of the bacon came out and it was one of the best pieces of bacon like, ever. The nutella was a freeze-dried concotion, but when you put it in your mouth it melted into a perfect creamy combination of bread, banana and chocolate.

The back is the bacon swinging thing, front left is the malt, and on the right is the nutella spoon.
palate-cleanser-course-alinea-1.jpg

Corn: A little simple, freeze dried corn with butter. A LOT of butter.

Surf clam: This was a play on Clam Chowder. There was an emulsion of clam, with a thyme foam and bacon, and celery and oyster crackers. Very tasty and creamy.
clam-alinea-1.jpg

Oxalis pod: I'll be honest, I'm trying to remember this one... but I can't. It's not sticking out in my head mainly because the next several just kept getting better.

Salad: Radishes, kumquat, and dill with a powdered ranch. Pretty good but nothing to write home about.
salad-micro-vegetable-ranch-powd-1.jpg

Sardine: This was a no-hand dish; sardine with horseardish, pepper, cress and tomato. You were meant to lean forward and take it in one bite. The novelty was interesting, but ultimately only okay.
mediterranean-hands-free-flavors-al.jpg

Squab: My oh my. This was the one that floored me in terms of presentation, and taste. This was inspired by Achatz's summer memories. First the plate; it was a birchwood log, slightly burned to give off the aroma of the wood itself. There were then strawberries that were charred on it, with lettuce and squab. Let me tell you, the combination of the strawberries and tender squab, with the aroma of the wood was simply astounding. I had a huge smile on my face with this one.
squab-strawberries-birch-log-ali-1.jpg

Black truffle: I guess this is going head to head with the hot potato as the signature Alinea dish. It's a ravioli in a half dish (no bottom) with romaine and parmesan. You put this in your mouth, and it explodes black truffle. It's basically a black truffle ravioli Gusher. I loved it, but your enjoyment of this is really out of how much you like truffle.
1806546876_edb73855f5.jpg

Tournedo: A dish as an homage toEscoffier. First off we got these really nice goblets and a wine in them (don't remember which one,) and the plates were from the early 1900's apparently. This was a wagyu beef. Super tender.

hibiscus-tonic-alinea-1.jpg

beef-tenderloin-ala-persane-alin-1.jpg

Dessert time:
Lemon Soda: This was a small packet which dissolved in your mouth. Nice flavor.

Bubble Gum: A tube of hibiscus, creme fraiche, tapioca. Meant to be sucked out all at once. Tasted EXACTLY like bubble gum.
Transparency: A Raspberry leaf. Really flaky, but very fruity.

To the left is the transparency. In the front is the bubble gum tube.
transparency-bubblegum-alinea-1.jpg

Earl Grey: This was also a hell of a presentation. We were presented with pillows infused with Earl Grey scent, and then had this dish of a crumbled cookie with flavors associated with Earl Grey; lemon, pine nuts, and a carmelized white chocolate. Holy hell this was awesome.
cookies-tea-alinea-1.jpg

Chocolate: Okay so for the finale, they cleared the table, put on a silicon table cloth, then poured coconut, menthol, chocolate syrup, cookies, other stuff I can't remember and then freeze dried dark chocolate on the table. This was HUGE and we barely finished this amongst the four of us.
3685803671_26837d1504.jpg

So that was it. We got there at 7:30, and I checked my phone afterwards and saw that it was close to 12:30. I sat there in gastronomical bliss. We then got an individual menu of what we had (and the wine pairing list for the other two.) We had them signed by Grant Achatz too.

One of the best meals of my life. Would I go back? Absolutely... bank account allowing. As evinced below, this was NOT a cheap meal. Two got the wine pairings, and me and my friend split a separate bottle.

What was the final damage? 1502.38. Worth the experience? Hell yeah.

I know that there's bitching in the French Laundry threads about how going to a place like this is a complete waste of money, and LOL go to Chipotle and buy booze/drugs/hookers with the rest, but that's missing the point. The whole experience was immaculate, and God knows I'm gonna remember this meal for the rest of my life.

Back to Neoguri. :)

Sharp

I was at a high-end restaurant recently (Volt) and this one is apparently even better, so I know how lucky you are. Congratulations man.

Davidion

Neoguri to Alinea, now there's a man paying for his tastes. :lol

Great review. I've always heard a lot about Alinea but always vague praise and superlative; would really like to go myself some day.

Thank you for the pictures.

One thing I noticed is their tendency for unconventional presentation. Lean forward to eat off of a metal stick in one bite, rice paper flags, dessert served on the table, etc. Interesting stuff.

Doytch said:
$1502....each? Wow. But yeah, looks and sounds incredible.

My guess is total.

Cornballer said:
Very cool - I'm quite jealous. I had some friends over for a bbq last night and we were looking through a copy of the Alinea cookbook and marveling at all of the food. Looks outstanding.

Also, there's a writer doing a blog on the SF Chronicle about his experiences doing staging at Alinea. Worth a quick read if you're interested.

That's a pretty cool read. Achatz has a new one opening soon called Next which sounds interesting. They're gonna use a ticket system like a play or something.

Doytch said:
$1502....each? Wow. But yeah, looks and sounds incredible.

Oh God no. The total was 1500. This was split between 4 people, with the ones that got the wine pairings contributing a little more.

EDIT: Thanks Davidion; the pics weren't mine, (hence the snow on the first one) but I was able to find a bunch online from bloggers, etc. to supplement my ramblings.

Sharp

funkmastergeneral said:
1500 bucks and not enough food to fill you up. Awesome.
I think what people don't realize from looking at the pictures (besides the sheer quantity of food you're eating) is that the food at restaurants like this is very filling--high in fat, carbs and sugar. I would be pretty damn surprised if you weren't stuffed after all this plus wine pairings.

funkmastergeneral said:
1500 bucks and not enough food to fill you up. Awesome.

You can always tell who has never gone to a restaurant like this. You will leave full. Yes, each individual thing is quite small, but there are 26 of them. It's not really that hard to understand.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
IAmtheFMan said:
EDIT: Thanks Davidion; the pics weren't mine, (hence the snow on the first one) but I was able to find a bunch online from bloggers, etc. to supplement my ramblings.

Ah, I was just about to comment on this and ask if you had any problems photographing in the restaurant. Grant Achatz a few months ago wrote a controversial rant about food bloggers and their incessant photography.

Einbroch

Banned
Thanks for sharing! One day I'd like to visit such a place, but until I graduate and start making more than $10.75 an hour I'll just have to stick to my homecooked meals.

Davidion

SnowWolf said:
Ah, I was just about to comment on this and ask if you had any problems photographing in the restaurant. Grant Achatz a few months ago wrote a controversial rant about food bloggers and their incessant photography.

Epitome of old school experience mentality vs. new school.

I'm actually pretty torn about this: I can't bring myself to take pictures of a really nice meal, but love seeing it posted somewhere to accompany reviews.

That seems really cool! Good on you for going out on a limb and trying this. One of these days I'm really hoping to have the money to go out to somewhere like this once in my life.

LQX

Yeah...we need one of these at least once a month. Hey guys I just spent the equivalent of most peoples rent on food that disappear with one bite and it was nothing.

Did you tip? You spend $1500 on food they damn well better not expect a tip.

SnowWolf said:

Huh, yeah I acutally just saw that. Can't say I disagree with him too much; I really just wanted to sit and enjoy the meal.

Oh, and to all those wondering, all 4 of us were entirely STUFFED. We were barely scraping our way through the chocolate dish, which covered the ENTIRE friggin table.

Einbroch

Banned
LQX said:
Yeah...we need one of these at least once a month. Hey guys I just spent the equivalent of most peoples rent on food that disappear with one bite and it was nothing
Hey guys I just wasted twenty seconds of my life posting this.

It's his money. He can spend it anyway he pleases. He planned this, saved up for this, and enjoyed it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As much as I adore food I dont think I could or will ever justify paying ~$370 for myself, but it certainly looks interesting.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
LQX said:
Yeah...we need one of these at least once a month. Hey guys I just spent the equivalent of most peoples rent on food that disappear with one bite and it was nothing.

Maybe that's why it confuses me so much. For me it's more like "Hey guys we just spent what you get in three months on one meal." :lol

Cool for you guys, though. If you can afford it, go for it. I won't pretend to understand the appeal, as I consider a great meal to be a trip to the Chinese buffet, but if it feels good, I say do it. :D

undies.png

although completely jealous, it's always weird to see what we (as human beings) do with food.
We're just smart monkies.

but screw that. i love good food and well prepared creative food.

Always-honest said:
although completely jealous, it's always weird to see what we (as human beings) do with food.
We're just smart monkies.

I have no idea what you mean by this, but I want to know.

ezrarh

LQX said:

It's not like he's saying the cost was nothing to him, in fact, he saved for 2 months for this. For a dinner that lets you experience the best your taste buds can taste, it would be worth it if you have the ability to save a little every month to go towards it. I for one would love to give one these types of dinners a try in the future.

Einbroch

Banned
Guys, it's $1500 total.

Per person it's much less. And his two friends had wine pairings, thus his was even less than $375.

Einbroch said:
Guys, it's $1500 total.

Per person it's much less. And his two friends had wine pairings, thus his was even less than $375.

Yeah, but jesus. That's one meal. Anything over $30 is getting into "Let's back the fuck up for a minute." territory for me.

eznark

Banned
The price isn't surprising or off-putting, and it sounds like a rad experience, but God damn none of that food looks the least bit appetizing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
rainking187 said:
Yeah, but jesus. That's one meal. Anything over $30 is getting into "Let's back the fuck up for a minute." territory for me.

You're not just paying for the food though. Its like paying to see a gig or an art show. The pay also includes the service (which I'm guessing was phenominal), the arrangement of the food (which is beautiful), and being there for five hours.

Plus the food of course, which would have tasted amazing and filled right up, and the huge variety in what is on offer.

But yes, the point is that the price you pay for places like this isn't just for it being a meal, but an experience.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hate people who take pictures of their food but also love seeing pictures. I understand you completely.

What would the total have been without the wine? I'm curious.

Einbroch

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
I hate people who take pictures of their food but also love seeing pictures. I understand you completely.

What would the total have been without the wine? I'm curious.
Website says $225.

Got the number wrong, editted.

Yeah the tour was 225.00.

Like I mentioned, the wine paring cost 3/4 of that, so like another 170 or something. Price was one of the reasons I didn't go for the pairing, and plus I'm a light weight, and I wanted to enjoy the food throughout without being piss-drunk halfway through the dinner.

Sharp said:
I was at a high-end restaurant recently (Volt) and this one is apparently even better, so I know how lucky you are. Congratulations man.

Like Michael Voltaggio's Volt? How was it? Ever since Top Chef where those 2 guys were utter geniuses I have been dying to go there.

Alphahawk

I never understood why high class restaurants such as these give out such tiny portions, yes I know there's a lot of them, but wouldn't it just be better to you know have bigger portions?

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Alphahawk said:
I never understood why high class restaurants such as these give out such tiny portions, yes I know there's a lot of them, but wouldn't it just be better to you know have bigger portions?

Because if they give out bigger portions, you'll be stuffed halfway through the meal?

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
$1500 is a new macbook pro. :O At least you liked the food. Everyone should go to a fancy restaurant once in their lives. You probably saved enough money eating those noodles. :lol

TheBear

$1500 a head is downright ridiculous, but at $375 each it sounds a whole lot more appealing. Does anyone know of any similar restaurants in Sydney (Australia)?

Alphahawk

Vox-Pop said:
$1500 is a new macbook pro. :O At least you liked the food. Everyone should go to a fancy restaurant once in their lives. You probably saved enough money eating those noodles. :lol

Calling these restaurants "fancy" is a bit of an understatement, don't ya think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom