• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MANime-Age Thread of Kenshiro, Explosions, Violence, and Action!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a new working definition to allow some broader topics.
[NaughtyCalibur]
Hmm... I feel like soon we're going to run out of what is defined in the OP as manime, and since they're not making a whole lot of the stuff these days this thread will be doomed.

Kinda wondering if for the sake of GAF we should broaden the definition to include any anime that is clearly for adults that doesn't feature moe bullshit, angst-ridden protagonists, and superfluous panty shots of young girls. Shows like Akagi, Bartender (even though I personally found it to be a bore), most of Satoshi Kun's stuff, etc.

Basically, I'm saying manime should = anime clearly made for grown ass men that grown ass men can enjoy without fear of being labeled pedophiles or creepy weirdos. Essentially this can be the ultimate go-to thread for anyone in search of mature anime of all genres, which I don't believe GAF has, correct me if I'm wrong.
Flow chart
Jocchan said:
UYvG6.png

I'm talking about shows, OVAs, and movies with hardcore asskicking, blazing 1980s pop synth soundtracks with Engrishy vocals, mullets, and guys who look like Mike Hagger/Don Frye!

No whiny kids with daddy issues, no moe, no loli, just pure and good MANime!

Examples of this would be:
Fist of the North Star
Mad Bull 34
Violence Jack
MD Geist
Black Lagoon
Spriggan

So what are people's favorite MANime, current and past? Where can fans of of action take refuge from an onslaught of creepy and bad anime that floods the market today?

cover_Baoh.jpg

Mindless, violent, and fun little OVA. I think I have seen it like ten times. I especially love the ridiculous dub of it.

votoms.jpg

A pretty gritty mecha anime. Animation can be kind of iffy at times, but I think it adds to its flavor. From the 30 or so episodes I have seen, its pretty cool.

Narag

Oh lord, VOTOMS is awesome. There's that early 80s charm but Chirico is utterly badass and the scopedogs were such awesome designs.

Meesh

Blader5489 said:
Is this really any good? I was tempted to pick it up but...meh??? Loves me some samurai action but I enjoy anime with reasonably high production value.

Dresden

Evilink said:
Is this really any good? I was tempted to pick it up but...meh??? Loves me some samurai action but I enjoy anime with reasonably high production value.
It's gorgeous.

GET IT.

NOW.

Blader

Evilink said:

Then you should love this. :D

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Disclaimer, Sword of the Stranger does have slightly whiny kid that's a walking plot device but the battle animation is fucking amazing.

Narag said:
OP needs more Golgo 13.

I know, I really do. I want to see if I can find the Streamline dub of one of the movies. I really like a lot of the old Streamline Dubs, Cam Clarke's Kaneda wipes the floor with the later redub of Akira.

harSon said:

Cool, thanks. It's funny seeing Angel Cop listed, isn't that one infamous for Manga changing the subs because at one point the world's ills are blamed on a shadowy Jewish conspiracy? :lol

Granted nothing beats the RIKI-OH anime for random WTF incorporating of Judaism into the story. :lol

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I'm talking about shows, OVAs, and movies with hardcore asskicking, blazing 1980s pop synth soundtracks with Engrishy vocals, mullets, and guys who look like Mike Hagger/Don Frye!

No whiny kids with daddy issues, no moe, no loli, just pure and good MANime!

What is this nonsense? :(

Blader5489 said:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2z90byt.jpg
Glorious movie. I loved every second of it, but anyone who hasn't seen it needs to stick to the English sub. The dub is so terribly bad after you've seen the sub, imo.

Evlar said:
How can you create a thread like this and not mention Berserk?
Oh god yeah I forgot that. When I was in college me and a friend were hanging out at a friends frat house and we somehow wound up drinking and watching the WHOLE series in one night, well one person finished it I think. I just recall barely getting back to my dorm to collapse in my bed and fall asleep (from being tired). Pretty good show from the bits and pieces I remember.

Blader

sebajuNujabes said:
Glorious movie. I loved every second of it, but anyone who hasn't seen it needs to stick to the English sub. The dub is so terribly bad after you've seen the sub, imo.

I thought the dub was pretty solid, but it's the only version I've seen.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
DominoKid said:
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

steamrollers man...steamrollers. manly as fuck.
First reply nailed it. Also, kudos for the Baoh mention.

Dresden

Salazar said:
Black Lagoon is still quite expensive in Australia. I am interested, though.
Didn't you enjoy Gurren Lagann? You should like Black Lagoon--great action, great production, and a story just enough to keep the action going.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Narag said:
Oh lord, VOTOMS is awesome. There's that early 80s charm but Chirico is utterly badass and the scopedogs were such awesome designs.
I watched the whole series, it is bad-ass. The second arc of this series is probably my favorite and served as a influence for MS gundam - 8th ms team.

Still need to watch the OVAs. Which i heard were pretty good.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
This thread needs a larger hammer.

1pdkis.jpg

much better.

Vita and nanoha make Gutts look like he's recovering from testicular cancer.

Force anime will be pure gold if its ever announced. strikerS had the right idea but too much filler.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Just finished Black Lagoon. It rocks, hard.

OVA comes out later this month too.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
manime = everyone's well adjusted and no-one cares. Things that can be solved with an explosion often are.

i'd rather have a good drama, but sometimes you just gotta marathon starship troopers and munch on something that was alive a few days prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom