• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MANime-Age Thread of Kenshiro, Explosions, Violence, and Action!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
ippo.jpg

Narag said:
I still don't get the MD Geist hate from fans.
I have no clue.

I've always suspected because it was tied to Central Park Media's owner and they to an extent. I just like that the creator was tired of whiny leads who could never take decisive action, so he decided to create a giant fuck you/troll to that trend and filled it with wall to wall sex and violence. It is admittedly retarded, but it's fun and it's not pretending to be deep or have some meaning (cough Evangelion cough), so I can't really hate it (in fact I like it a lot).

Ezalc

Only one mention of Cowboy Bebop? No mention of Big O? No Captain Harlock Endless Odyssey?The fuck is up with that shit GAF?

Also I saw only a little bit of it but Polymar Holy Blood has this one initial fight scene that's fucking ridiculous.

K.Jack said:
Baki has too much shit between fights.

Well, that's what I thought like 4 DVDs in to my boxed set. Does it get better?

Its been forever since I saw it so I honestly don't know.

I wonder, would G-Gundam or Gurren Lagann count? They both have some pretty hard core protagonists(well moreso in G-Gundam)

Narag

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I have no clue.

I've always suspected because it was tied to Central Park Media's owner and they to an extent. I just like that the creator was tired of whiny leads who could never take decisive action, so he decided to create a giant fuck you/troll to that trend and filled it with wall to wall sex and violence. It is admittedly retarded, but it's fun and it's not pretending to be deep or have some meaning (cough Evangelion cough), so I can't really hate it (in fact I like it a lot).

Yeah, I'm a fan too. Anime equivalent of a mindless popcorn flick for me.

Ezalc

lightless_shado said:
Its been forever since I saw it so I honestly don't know.

I wonder, would G-Gundam or Gurren Lagann count? They both have some pretty hard core protagonists(well moreso in G-Gundam)

G Gundam has Schwarz Bruder. Of course it counts.

Narag said:
Yeah, I'm a fan too. Anime equivalent of a mindless popcorn flick for me.

Agreed. I think Spriggan is a good example of that too. Man I wish that had a Blu-ray out.

I also respect that with Geist the creator had an innate desire to offend/troll the fuck out of people. That's just deserving of a couple of extra points too. lol

Ezalc said:
Only one mention of Cowboy Bebop? No mention of Big O? No Captain Harlock Endless Odyssey?The fuck is up with that shit GAF?

Also I saw only a little bit of it but Polymar Holy Blood has this one initial fight scene that's fucking ridiculous.

Oh nothing's wrong with Cowboy Bebop. I'm just thinking a tad more over the top. Say Black Lagoon. Black Lagoon is such a fuck awesome show. It's essentially a love letter to 1980s action films. It also has one of the best dubs (and actually fits the shows setting better). Man I want that on Blu-ray and the new OVAs too!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Black Lagoon is such a fuck awesome show. It's essentially a love letter to 1980s action films. It also has one of the best dubs (and actually fits the shows setting better). Man I want that on Blu-ray and the new OVAs too!
Hmm, I have the complete set, sitting unwatched.

I should get on that.

I loved the shit out of Afro Samurai for how gritty it was. Any good series much in that vein from the past decade? I'm not talking about shounen.

aechris

Apple Sauce said:
I remember these being on an old VHS I had as a kid. They blew my mind. Haven't watched them in years so I can't say how they stand up though.

Devilman is still amazing.

This thread is crazy. I think a lot of people missed the boat completely with this one. Gurren Lagann and Baccano? Noooooo. Jojo and Hokuto no Ken nail it 100%, no contest. Ninja Scroll was awesome as fuck too.

K.Jack said:
Hmm, I have the complete set, sitting unwatched.

I should get on that.

Oh dude get on it right away, personally first ep or so is a little slow (it's introductory and all), but it then it just starts and never stops.

Also ONLY watch the English dub. Beyond being great, it also makes far more sense (besides some small parts in Japan) for the setting and characters.

Uchip said:
now I see where the flash animation hate sprung from
I hear the Mr Universe pageant is pretty good

Why do you have to apply sexist gender constructs to this thread? Black Lagoon, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, etc all feature strong female protagonists and can and is enjoyed by both men and women.

Uchip

Banned
Why do you have to apply sexist gender constructs to this thread? Black Lagoon, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, etc all feature strong female protagonists and can and is enjoyed by both men and women.

im joking
Ippo is probably the best anime of all time

robox

untitled3.jpg

Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z Hen

mazinkaiser-skl.jpg

Mazinkaiser SKL

thingsthatmatters400.jpg

Legend of Galactic Heroes
(ok, so this image is little misleading because it mainly deals with strategies and tactics of ginormous space fleet battles, but there's some infantry battles and political maneuvering)
and anything else by the same creator has the same feel (tytania, nana toshi monogatari, legend of arslan)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Dynedom said:
Really? Not one Sengoku Basara mention yet? I am disappoint.

1775.jpg

e1c9d900c57ed75219c0995602c115f51238636929_full.jpg

wait, is that the same series as the capcom games? oh i gotta get me some of that.

Blackheim

I suppose Apocalypse Zero would fit this criteria to a degree. Very violent, ass kicking all around, yet ... very bizarre. Google Image Search for the brave heh.

Shigurui is also good but (by the same author of Apocalypse Zero), it's more of a period drama with some very violent stuff about samurais going on. It's very slow and methodical, not for everyone because the pacing is not typical. It lacks the 80's/90's cheesiness since it's a more recent show. Still it's awesome.

Blackheim said:
I suppose Apocalypse Zero would fit this criteria to a degree. Very violent, ass kicking all around, yet ... very bizarre. Google Image Search for the brave heh.

Shigurui is also good but (by the same author of Apocalypse Zero), it's more of a period drama with some very violent stuff about samurais going on. It's very slow and methodical, not for everyone because the pacing is not typical. It lacks the 80's/90's cheesiness since it's a more recent show. Still it's awesome.

Hell yes.

Apocalypse Zero is great! It will make people who you show it to question you for reasons other than the folks who watch harem and moe anime.

Two thumbs up.

In the Russ Meyer anime category I snagged Queen's Blade on Bluray. Sorry GAF. I like boobs, swords, and anime. :\

What's the status on Mazinkaiser SKL OVA's are they done yet? I want Mazinkaiser SKL on BRD!

Blackheim

The Take Out Bandit said:
What's the status on Mazinkaiser SKL OVA's are they done yet? I want Mazinkaiser SKL on BRD!

OVA is done and has been released domestically by Media Blasters on DVD. No word on a Blu Ray release yet :/ Last I head they might try to get one out next year. I'm holding out for that, don't want no stinkin' DVD *spit*

:p

Enron

Banned
Uchip said:
you know
judgemental low lifes that make fun of other people in an attempt to boost their own ego

Why would that kind of person be interested in mr universe? What exactly are you getting at here, I don't understand. :/

past couple of days i've been rewatching my black lagoon dvds, just got finished with the first set, about to move onto second barrage.

i wish the manga would come out of hiatus, though, i'd like to find out what happens next.

Jb2MB.gif

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Salazar said:
I've watched the prequel to Fist of the North Star - Legends of the Dark King, or something. That was moderately good. Raoh, King of Fist, was just an implacable douchebag all the time.

This is amazing, though. Makes me want to watch the series itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUlFqL72iV0

I'm the biggest god damn FOTN fan on this forum. I watched some episodes of the Dark King and it was fucking trash. That other prequel that's set in the 1930's is way better.

Skip the series and go for the movie, at least at first. Others will tell you differently, but the series is literally that exact same situation happening like 50 times with the exact same result. It should have been condensed into like 30 episodes instead of 152. I still love it, but the movie is mindblowing.

The movie/OVA or whatever cuts to the chase, and has WAY better animation, music (KODOMO BAND!), sound, voice acting, and mood. People don't like it because they watched the series first and it omits a few cool characters, but fuck it.

If anyone wants manly anime with modern shounen tropes, Toriko is where it's at. It's like if Eichiro Oda (One Piece) wrote Fist of the North Star.

OoWj3.jpg

drunkendonuts said:
past couple of days i've been rewatching my black lagoon dvds, just got finished with the first set, about to move onto second barrage.

i wish the manga would come out of hiatus, though, i'd like to find out what happens next.

Jb2MB.gif

The show is so bad ass. Hell when they're getting chased by the maid is like an ode to The Terminator. Generally every five minutes has gif worthy material. The "in the ass" scene is hilarious.

Teknoman said:
Wow...he punched his jaw off o_o

Riki-Oh Anime is Insanity piled on top of Insanity!

I've been rewatching Black Lagoon, and besides wondering why the hell Funimarion can't get off their assess and port the Blu-rays and the OVA, I was wondering has there been any current or in the last couple of years any anime to slake my thirst for Black Lagoon and Manime. It almost seems like Black Lagoon was an aberration to be made in Japan last half a decade vs the 1980s when crazy shit like Mad Bull 34 were common.

spidye

No whiny kids with daddy issues, no moe, no loli, just pure and good MANime!
I gave up on anime some years ago. kenshiro brought me back.
FUCK you nge, eureka7 and all the other whiny teenagers.
I am interested in black lagoon. thanks for the suggestion, guys

spidye said:
I gave up on anime some years ago. kenshiro brought me back.
FUCK you nge, eureka7 and all the other whiny teenagers.
I am interested in black lagoon. thanks for the suggestion, guys
Sure thing it's an insanely good series, and since it's not all build up to OMG THE END!!! It's really easy to watch any arc you're in the mood for. In that sense it's really rewatchable.

Just make sure to only watch the English dub.

rvy

Banned
Thread ruined at #18.

jin_01nozt.jpg

A lot of posts already covered most of what I was going to write. Aika was great btw, lol... fucking had my fun with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom