• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanN

Banned
I hope you stuck around for 14.

10,11,14,15 are the good episodes so far. The show is generally shit but if you stick around you might enjoy it.
I went from episodes 1 to 3 and then skipped to 12. I'll probably stay for the episodes with the most fanservice interesting plot. Those CG mecha fights need to step their game up (or at least appear less boring).

CorvoSol

Iirc all the PopTV jokes you'll see are because MTV fucked over the shows creators in one way or another and all of the gags are their "fuck you"

Makes sense, since the PopTV ads tend to get blown up.

I have no idea. Did Corvo also catch the
movie-tie
in at episode 22? lol. Also he knows that we had to wait for months after the end of episode 22, right?

Not off the top of my head I didn't. I didn't get the VA thing because I didn't watch E7 in Japanese. And waiting months for that finale is . . . unthinkable.

So i just read about the manga ending of Usagi Drop after watching the anime, why did i do that?

Basically the best way to ruin your day, right?

Tenumi

Banned
Go watch fresh.

Speaking of Fresh Precure, it's technically next up on my list right now. I watched Heartcatch first overall, and I'll probably just do a writeup of my impressions before I start Fresh, but in my mind, I'm thinking, should I rewatch Heartcatch for completionary sakes? Although, with my pace, it'd be October before I got to Fresh if I did that....

Usagi drop up to ep 6:
This is so heart warming. Gotten teary eyed in every episode... I also no longer wonder why Japan has so low birth rate. It has been made so hard to combine parenting and work life.

The world god only knows - godess arc 03

The%20World%20God%20Only%20Knows%20-%20Goddesses%20Arc%20-%2003.jpg

And this is why there aren't good Vs-based Vns

They did their best for this part and this episode was pretty good.
Can't wait for the next nora visit.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Speaking of Fresh Precure, it's technically next up on my list right now. I watched Heartcatch first overall, and I'll probably just do a writeup of my impressions before I start Fresh, but in my mind, I'm thinking, should I rewatch Heartcatch for completionary sakes? Although, with my pace, it'd be October before I got to Fresh if I did that....

You haven't seen enough of the bad seasons to need to be reminded what was ever good about it to begin with yet.

CorvoSol

Usagi drop up to ep 6:
This is so heart warming. Gotten teary eyed in every episode... I also no longer wonder why Japan has so low birth rate. It has been made so hard to combine parenting and work life.

I kind of feel like combining parenting and working is hard no matter where you live, though.

You already went through Heartcatch, focus on the other ones. Heartcatch's qualities will stick out even more.

Step

Love Lab is so charming, I can't help it but watch it with a smile on my face on every episode.

I'm loving Fantasista Doll too, T~T poor dolls on epsiode 3, I like how I care about every doll in this anime. punching the whale cracked me up and Katia had such a hard time with that dress haha, I cant wait for Shimeji and her spotlight next episode.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Makes sense, since the PopTV ads tend to get blown up.

Not off the top of my head I didn't. I didn't get the VA thing because I didn't watch E7 in Japanese. And waiting months for that finale is . . . unthinkable.

Basically the best way to ruin your day, right?

Well, now you know. It's the same voice actor. Imagine our anguish when we found out.

cnet128

Banned
Yes! Precure 5 - 09

Bahahahahahahahahaha. So there's this reporter girl who's become rather suspicious of why the Cures are so friendly with each other all of a sudden, and starts snooping around trying to find out their secret. She manages to deduce that it has something to do with the rumours of ghosts appearing around school, follows the girls to Nuts' shop and sees the mascots moving. Then she gets herself kidnapped by Arachnia, who tries to hold her as a hostage.

She averts her eyes in fear for a few seconds (pretty out of character, but understandable considering the ordeal she's going through), and the Cures take the opportunity to transform while she's not looking. But here's the beautiful part: despite the fact that reporter-girl witnesses their entire battle with a Kowaina (and hears Arachnia demand that they hand over the Dream Collet both before and after transforming!), not only does she not recognise the transformed Cures, she does not even consider the possibility that they might be one and the same as the five girls who mysteriously disappeared during the few seconds it took for the Cures to mysteriously appear.

I can only conclude that there must be some POWERFUL magic at work preventing anyone from recognising the Cures when transformed. That or the most outrageous "plot armour" ever.

Oh, and after the Cures have left the scene, our roving reporter runs into human-form Nuts, who promptly drives everything else completely out of her mind by sheer force of HOT MANNITUDE. That's some powerful "magic" right there too!

Yes! Precure 5 - 09

Bahahahahahahahahaha. So there's this reporter girl who's become rather suspicious of why the Cures are so friendly with each other all of a sudden, and starts snooping around trying to find out their secret. She manages to deduce that it has something to do with the rumours of ghosts appearing around school, follows the girls to Nuts' shop and sees the mascots moving. Then she gets herself kidnapped by Arachnia, who tries to hold her as a hostage.

She averts her eyes in fear for a few seconds (pretty out of character, but understandable considering the ordeal she's going through), and the Cures take the opportunity to transform while she's not looking. But here's the beautiful part: despite the fact that reporter-girl witnesses their entire battle with a Kowaina (and hears Arachnia demand that they hand over the Dream Collet both before and after transforming!), not only does she not recognise the transformed Cures, she does not even consider the possibility that they might be one and the same as the five girls who mysteriously disappeared during the few seconds it took for the Cures to mysteriously appear.

I can only conclude that there must be some POWERFUL magic at work preventing anyone from recognising the Cures when transformed. That or the most outrageous "plot armour" ever.

Oh, and after the Cures have left the scene, our roving reporter runs into human-form Nuts, who promptly drives everything else completely out of her mind by sheer force of HOT MANNITUDE. That's some powerful "magic" right there too!

Well it's not like Sailor Moon where all they do is just throw on an accessory and BAM.

We have different hair styles to boot, so that helps.

CorvoSol

Well it's not like Sailor Moon where all they do is just throw on an accessory and BAM.

It worked both ways in Sailor Moon, though, didn't it? I mean between Moonlight Knight and Tuxedo Mask, they still didn't know it was the Meatball eater hisself, right?

cnet128

Banned

Yes, because the idea of magically-transforming hair should definitely not occur to you when you've just witnessed them battle a CAMERA THAT TRANSFORMED INTO A GIANT MONSTER. Especially not when you've already associated these five girls with supernatural occurrences and witnessed them hanging out with "moving stuffed toys" (the same stuffed toys that the transformed Cures were holding in their arms at the end of the battle, to be precise!)

jbug617

Banned
Watamote 3

Good episode. Especially like the part of
Tomoka taking care of her brother. Even if she does it in a sloppy way it was the thought that counts.

Sunday Without God 3

OH WOW OH WOW OH WOW OH WOW OH WOW

While I did expect Hambert to be
her father
I did not expect at all what happened this episode to happen as earlier as it did. This is finale of the series material and we're only 3 episodes in. The action was fantastic especially watching Ai and
Scar combine their Gravekeeper powers to dominate the dead
, Watching Ai and
her father enjoy one final day together before he was laid to rest next to his lover and Ai's mom
was just too good.

Honestly I have no idea where this show is going to go next, but it's sky rocketed to my favorite show this season by far.

Theonik

Love Lab 03
This is closer to the first episode in terms of animation quality and that's a great thing!
This is also the last setup episode so next week we should transition to more normal affairs. :SDBurton was also abundant.

C3 Club 03
Still not totally feeling this but I guess I'll stick with it as my "why am I watching this" show this season after basically giving up on AoT. :SDBurton levels were notably high. Fake-aiko saved this show for me.

Kiniro Mosaic 03
This show is still pretty adorable. :SDBurton levels were also way too high this week.

It worked both ways in Sailor Moon, though, didn't it? I mean between Moonlight Knight and Tuxedo Mask, they still didn't know it was the Meatball eater hisself, right?

No hairstyle changes really, just a big change of clothing and that was it. It worked in a sense that no one even knew who they were, despite the fact that their hair does not change at all. Nevermind the whole Mamoru explaining why he needs the rainbow Crystals on top of name dropping the silver crystal, and Usagi was still surprised that Mamoru is Tuxedo Mask.

Yes, because the idea of magically-transforming hair should definitely not occur to you when you've just witnessed them battle a CAMERA THAT TRANSFORMED INTO A GIANT MONSTER. Especially not when you've already associated these five girls with supernatural occurrences and witnessed them hanging out with "moving stuffed toys" (the same stuffed toys that the transformed Cures were holding in their arms at the end of the battle, to be precise!)

But did she ultimately have proof to establish their identities though? Because I know she didn't by the end of the episode.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

In the anime where their appearance is pretty much the same, secret identities are incredibly important. In the live action where their appearance isn't at all the same, nobody cares about keeping their identity secret. This was pretty much the same with Precure, too.

Go figure.

In the anime where their appearance is pretty much the same, secret identities are incredibly important. In the live action where their appearance isn't at all the same, nobody cares about keeping their identity secret. This was pretty much the same with Precure, too.

Go figure.

Fresh Precure being the biggest one of them all in regards to keeping their identity a not secret.

Then again it doesn't help when they gain their abilities in front of enemies, so it doesn't matter for them to hide it from them to begin with.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi 5

I don't think you should be allowed to just say "Anything's fine, just (insert desired result here)" as your spell. Seems like too easy an out. Also seems like it could really lead to some bad unforeseen consequences.

Damn, that was some fall Doremi took there.

cnet128

Banned
Watamote 3

Good episode. Especially like the part of
Tomoka taking care of her brother. Even if she does it in a sloppy way it was the thought that counts.

You mean the thought "
I really want to catch a cold
"? =p

But did she ultimately have proof to establish their identities though? Because I know she didn't by the end of the episode.

Oh no, she never had any proof. The silly part is that she never even thought of the possibility.

Yes! Precure 5 - 10

A gritty and eye-opening study of the hardships that come with extreme poverty. Apparently having no money makes you really hungry. Go figure.

If you're a good guy (ie. Nuts), you can make up for this by scrounging sweet treats off friends, and handing out flyers to get customers to visit your failing accessory shop. Oh, and get your shop featured on the front page of the school newspaper thanks to your HOT MANNITUDE.

If you're a bad guy, on the other hand, the only solution to a life of hunger on the streets is to...attack the Cures with a monster created from your empty wallet that tries to eat them. Yeah. That'll do it.

Articalys

I know people generally dislike ANN reviews -- but god damn at this absolutely glowing Aku no Hana anime review:
A work of piercing insight, staggering stylistic bravery, skillful narrative manipulation, and superbly nuanced characterization—all turned towards endlessly upsetting, disturbingly seductive ends.

Grade:
Overall (sub) : A+
Story : A
Animation : A+
Art : A+
Music : A

+ A stone-cold masterpiece of psychological sadism and diseased romance; stunningly unconventional visuals and mature direction from an increasingly important director.

Dog x Scissors 04

Some turboyandere stuff happening. The plot still isn't really engaging at all, I'm pretty much just watching this because the dog is cute and Shinobu looks cool. Might have chuckled a couple of times as well.

Watashi ga Motenai words words words 03

I kind of wish they would stray further from the manga. I mean I already know I'm going to die of a severe case of cringe from the horrible repercussions of when Tomoko tells her
nephew that the boy she got the umbrella from is her boyfriend.
At least it's still a great adaptation that can be totally awesome for a first timer to the series. Not that I'm implying it's some grand epic everyone should experience.

Just finished rewatching Fate/Zero. It was far better than I remembered. I need that new Ufotable Fate NOW!!
Considering picking up Prisma Ilya or whatever the fuck it's called but I don't know if I'd like it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom