• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Leaked From Microsoft Servers

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
A day old or so, but I figured this was worthy of a thread just because how inept MS was protecting it, and for people who don't check the megathread.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2368100,00.asp
Whoops! In a strange turn of events, the next installment in one of Microsoft's most beloved (and lucrative) video gaming franchises, Halo, has been leaked.

That's the full version of Halo: Reach we're talking about, a game which pulled more than 2.7 million players during its two-week beta in early May. While the alleged thieves come from a forum of modders known as GameTuts, Microsoft—in many ways—shares a little bit of the leak's blame.

The game might have a release date of September 14, but Microsoft decided to seed Halo: Reach over its Xbox Live service for reviewers to download—sticking the full game with a seemingly impossibly price tag of 9999 Microsoft points, or around $1,250 in real-world cash. The industrious modders over at GameTuts somehow found their way past the special download code one would have to type in to access and download the game and, as you might expect, they grabbed themselves a copy.

"The GameTuts staff have all participated in the work of "Halo: Reach". The main members of our team, Matty and Cthulhu have worked endless hours, pushing the barriers to allow our golden faces play "Halo: Reach," reads a now-deleted post on the GameTuts forums.

"The intelligent mind of our beloved Admin, Matty worked endlessly to acquire this game, the deed was done. The moderator of GameTuts, Cthulhu is now the man of his word to work on the game file and allow our members see 'Halo: Reach' before its release."

According to the post, GameTuts users have no intentions to release their acquisition before the game's official release date—allegedly, the acquired code has been signed by Microsoft and thus runs without issue on an unmodified Xbox 360 console.

Microsoft is currently investigating the "security exploit" and, if past reactions are any indication, will undoubtedly ban the heck out of any console caught running the game prior to September 14.

At least, that's what the company did in response to the leak of Halo 3 in 2007, which occurred some two-months before the game's official release. Users caught playing the game were issued a 7,992-year ban from Xbox Live—as close to "bricking" a console as Microsoft can get.

While Halo:Reach developer Bungie has yet to comment on the leak, forum moderator Qbis98 has reiterated the official forum stance toward leaked information: a permanent ban for those who, "DISCUSS, REQUEST, or LINK TO information or campaign spoilers from illegitimately obtained sources -- including illegitimately obtained copies of Halo: Reach -- before the game is officially released."

Of course, that hasn't stopped those with access to Halo:Reach from posting videos of the game's new multiplayer maps and single-player campaign to Youtube, amongst other places.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/g...sb=1&did=f0000001-0000-4000-8000-00004d53085b
haloreach9999.jpg

so beware spoilers!

Oh yeah, way leaked. Ending videos out and everything.

Don't think it's leaked wide yet though, you can't download it from any torrent sites yet.

Leaks suck :( I want to play it now, not three weeks from now.

Voltron64

Neckbeard said:
Smells viral, indeed.
I don't think it is in Microsoft's best interest to have entire playthroughs of the game, including the ending, floating out on the web a month before release.

The download is intended for reviewers only, just like they did with Crackdown 2. Thing is, nobody cared enough to figure out a way to "steal" a download for that.

J-Roderton

shagg_187 said:
Imagine: 1000 hardcore Halo fans paying $1,250 for the copy. That's alot of free money for Microsoft!

Is that the dollar amount that the MS points added up to? And did anyone figure out if the download even worked?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
FilthyLies said:

Don't think it's leaked wide yet though, you can't download it from any torrent sites yet.

nah, it's widely available. I guess it only works on JTAG'd consoles though. There can't be that many of those.

Jroderton said:
Is that the dollar amount that the MS points added up to? And did anyone figure out if the download even worked?

My understand is that it's physically impossible to add that many MS points to your account, even if you wanted to.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
The story in the OP is partially wrong. It wasn't GameTuts, but a cabal of various underground 360 scene folks including a few members of GameTuts. Whilst the rest of the cabal remained silent, the GameTuts folks wanted to claim the fame for doing it.

Thus they started an argument with the rest of the cabal. Because of the arguments, someone from the cabal released the files which the cabal had meant just for themselves.

Typical pirates - lying, stealing, arguing, back stabbing and glory hunting. Wrapped in in a bloated sense of self importance.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
FilthyLies said:

Not leaked wide? Saw this earlier on newsgroups...it's pretty wide release now :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, anyone could have the game if they are willing to spend $1,250?

And wait, the game is listed under best selling, was there a way for anyone to get it for free for a while?

enemy AI completely ignore holograms when real player is visible. Better AI indeed!
game definitely looks much better than ODST; other so far, the VO seems horrible.

MMaRsu

Banned
FilthyLies said:

Yes you can and it fucking sucks. If the game is supposedly done, release it now.

But then again I always hate this and it never happens ( an early release ). Ofcourse MS would be crazy to release it early with all the marketing.

And MS is SO STUPID for letting this leak early. Way to have a great protection copy LOL.

StuBurns

Banned
Well I'm sure it's incredible, I guess every detail about it will be online by tomorrow.

Enjoy it you cheeky little thieving monkeys.

Dennis

Banned
How is this possible? And PS3 games can be pirated now too?

That can't be right cause every day GAF tells me piracy is killing the PC....

So gaming is all dead now?

mittelos

Drkirby said:
Maybe they felt this would be more secure?
Maybe. For some reason I'm getting the feeling they thought this would be a more efficient distribution method, who knows. Just seems to me like it's asking for trouble.

Top Bottom