• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 | The Wishlist of Infinite Wishing

DryvBy

Borderlands took my love for killing things with a gun, my love for leveling up, and my lustful love for collecting color-ranked inventory. Because of this, Borderlands is one of the top three games I've played this generation by far. Could it be better? Let's find out by making a list of wants needs for the new Borderlands, which I'm sure there will be.

*Custom Characters: Let us create our own characters based on specifics! Too many times have I ran into all Hunters in a game and it just makes the game feel boring. If custom creation is too much, let's go to the next step:

*Armor/Rings/Amulet Loot!: Being able to get real armor, and not just a shield, would be awesome. It would change the look of people and with several different varieties of clothing that could drop, you'd really be able to create an almost custom looking character to play with. Plus, it would make the game even more addicting to worry about your defense just as much as your offense.

*Sword/Sheild-Play: As much as I love shooting the life out of a bandit or crab, I'd sure love to see some brutal sword violence in the game. This would give a new variety to the game as well. (Possibly making a new sword-based class?)

*Much more variety in the skill tree: I felt the skill tree was pretty weak. Past a certain level, I've only been spending skill points just because I have them. There needs to be a skill tree that can make each class feel completely different. For example: a soldier has boosting abilities for himself and people around him, or can just Rambo his way in and out of a sticky situation, or can drop ammo if needed. Much like how Diablo makes a class feel different depeneding on what his focus is. Borderlands never made me feel this.

*Make Money Matter: I think in action-RPGs, gold and money is worthless. How do some games fix this? Diablo and Torchlight had a gambling process in which a player would spend a huge amount of money on an item that would either be completely worthless, decent, or amazing. This would help me spend my 9 million a lot more. I rarely go to the shops so I just mainly collect the money just because it's shiny on the ground. Another thing I thought of would be an online auction house for items people want to sell. Or if not that, just cash in max gold for a skill point or something else.

*Variety in Beast: Bandits of all variety were nice, but there should be around triple the amount of variety in the next chapter. That's triple from what DLC1-4 gave us too, by the way.

*Less Loading, More Killing: This is the least of my wants, but I really would like to see the game load once, or at least as infrequent as it does. If not possible, no biggie, but it is a want.

**edit add** Hardcore Hell Mode: Allow me to create a character that proves I'm the bee's knees. I want to be able to have my character be completely erased if I die. I want the enemies to feel near impossible to kill. A la Diablo's Hell Mode meets Demon's Soul. Note: This would be an option for those who just want the ultimate challenge in Borderlands.

Other wants?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The drops are better than anything you can get in shops and I'm sure every character can auto-heal so you don't even need health packs. Money seems like one of those things they added in just because games have money in them.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
More classes! All I want!

More vehicles (mechs, hovercrafts and maybe even a dropship-type with turrets)
Customizable weaponry.
A claptrap companion for a new class (kind of like Mordecai's bloodwing or the Soldier's turret).
No loading screens.

Guevara

OP your ideas are all great. I would like some meaty melee combat and I think customized armor is also a natural progression.

jkanownik

*Fix/Add End Game: Borderlands has little to offer once you reach the highest level and play through the content once.

Item or function for non-equippable loot (money, ammo) to automatically be picked up rather than manually having to grab it.

You should read the post mortem on BL that gamasutra did awhile back. There's just so many things that were cut from this game (namely car customization and car physics). There's a reason why this game was in development for so long. I thought BL was a good game but there were just so many things that screamed polish.

For the sequel
1) Better story- A 7 year old could write a better story than that. I mean just look at the ending.
Gate opens, monster shows up, kill monster, gate closes for another 100 years with no lott..claptrap= NINJA ASSASSIN...I mean seriously wtf
2) Better variety in weapons
3) Classes with more than one ability
4) Skill tree that grants abilities/make the skill tree bigger more diverse.
5) Competitive class based multiplayer- not straight up deathmatch but objective based ones that force teamwork like TF2..
6) Melee class
7) More vehicles and vehicle customization
8) More synergistic abilities
9) Character creation tools
10) Better interface for PC- This just felt like a burn to me since Pitchford went on a PR tour about how the PC UI was designed from the ground up for PC when in fact it was just the console UI

Dizzy-4U

I'd like the characters to be more involved with the world. They need an injection of personality pretty badly.

DaBuddaDa

-More classes

-More melee options

-Add replay-able, online "end game" sets of missions

-*controversial comment* get rid of the cell-shaded graphics

notsol337

marked forever
Finding weapon parts along with whole weapons to customize your own guns ON THE FLY!

Also, guns that have elemental chance changed depending on your ammo type.

Brannon

Demon's Souls did it right. Your money was souls, and souls are EVERYTHING. Experience, buy items or weapons and armor, repair equipment. Death meant having to go all the way back to your souls, and if you died before you got to them, you lose it all. Sure it hurts less in the late game, but it was still a loss.

spats

Better skill trees, more environments, more huge bosses, less loading when going from area to area. A more involved story wouldn't hurt either, but honestly I didn't play Borderlands for its story.

Guevara

THE Caffeinated said:
I loved the first Borderlands, way more than I thought I would, but if the game is 90% desert wasteland again i'm not buying it.

I also agree with this. Zombie Island was a welcome change for the most part, but the other DLC was way too similar.

DryvBy

Brannon said:
Demon's Souls did it right. Your money was souls, and souls are EVERYTHING. Experience, buy items or weapons and armor, repair equipment. Death meant having to go all the way back to your souls, and if you died before you got to them, you lose it all. Sure it hurts less in the late game, but it was still a loss.

Hrm. I actually really like this idea. If anything, it would be good for "Hardcore Characters".

notsol337

marked forever
Colkate said:
Automatically picking up ammo when you walk over it, and money.

I would like automatically grabbing ammo to be a setting. I know I've picked up ammo my friend needed a million times on accident, and this would happen a million times more with it being picked up automatically.

JesseZao

Just make it a "F2P" MMO.

Edit: In the vein of Guild Wars. I'd pay for the game, but then have no monthly fee needed.

Philthy

More slots for more loot whoring! I want a bagillion slots to equip!

Seriously, a bagillion! I want ten slots on my fingers for rings. I want two wrist slots, two forearm slots, a chest slot, pants slot, two ear slots, a nose ring slot, helmet, leg plates, shoes. More more moooooooooooooore!

Also, more random boss mobs. Varying loot tables. No more guaranteed drops! I want to farm bosses for months!

Very detailed weapons mod system.

And a good ending.

Basically this game is PERFECT as a shooter. You got that done for you already, now finish it off to make it on par with Diablo 2 for the loot aspect.

Garjon

-Fewer fetch quests
-At the very least, give a mention to each of the character's backstories
-Scale the difficulty
-MUCH better ending
-Make the enemies more varied
-Make electric weapons less useless
-Make side characters more involved in the plot
-Multiple ways of approaching each mission - the game won't be truly open until this is, at least in part, achieved.

Stuff to keep (besides the obvious)
-Driving - screw the haters, the driving controls work very well once you get the hang of them. They also negate the major weakness of steering using analog sticks.
-The instant vehicle spawns
-The current playable characters
-Bloodwing

Chris_C

At the very top of the list should be:

Less lag when playing co-op.

At first I thought it was just my internet connection, but a bunch of people have complained of the same thing. If you're not the host, there's going to be about a half second of lag on your end that creates a delay when jumping and zooming in (criminal) and means that scopes of any kind are near useless, you have to spray and pray.

DarkKyo

If they want to make Borderlands a super top notch loot game, they need a lot more armor slots(legs, chest, arms, etc) and options for customization. I loved Borderlands but it could be so much more...

Also, yeah upgradeable stuff... I hate eventually having to throw every gun I love away.. you should be able to both find new guns and upgrade old guns to the point where they are as strong as the stuff you're finding.

Chris_C

I'm not sure a story is really important to a game like Borderlands, but I suppose that depends on how you play it.

If you play single player, I can see that being the case, but MP, you kind of just blow from quest to quest following markers to get the next area. Speak of:

MAP MARKERS!

MINI MAP on screen please.

Multiple Armor slots with visual changes to characters.
Characters looks different depending on skill tree build.
When collecting multiple pieces of a weapon/quest itme, have better markers or highlight the locations better.
Give some weapons alt fires.

DryvBy

Dechaios said:
If they want to make Borderlands a super top notch loot game, they need a lot more armor slots(legs, chest, arms, etc) and options for customization. I loved Borderlands but it could be so much more...

Also, yeah upgradeable stuff... I hate eventually having to throw every gun I love away.. you should be able to both find new guns and upgrade old guns to the point where they are as strong as the stuff you're finding.

Do you mean like instead of trashing, you take the parts to upgrade your current gun?

Red

- Minimap.
- Custom waypoints
- Upgradeable weapons
- More unique skill trees
- Enemy and environment variety
- Auto ammo/money pickups (guns obviously would still require a button press)
- Item bank available from start

Enemies need to be more than charging brain-dead hordes. More Rakk Hive-ish creatures would be nice to have as wandering beasts, not exclusively as bosses.

Rubius

Let me address the worse problem of Borderland
Bosses fight who are not simply, standing and shooting for 5 min in a direction.
I'm looking at you Final boss of Borderland.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Enemies that move around a bit more realistically... (when they actually do move) they change direction on a dime and have no weight in their movements. It's difficult to anticipate where they're going and makes shooting at them less fun.

I'd like camera control to be separate from steering while driving... that design decision was brain dead.

Hey devs.... for fuck's sake why can't I shoot with L1/R1!? Again... they can be so brain dead.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
- Custom characters
- Actual uniques with new models and names
- Visible armor

The rest is fine already.

Edgeward

Better online
Customizable characters with armor/shield affecting appearance as well
Crafting
Upgradale weapons, switching out parts and customizing color schemes
Less dependent on using cars
Fast travel to be available ASAP
Auto pick-up ammo and money
mini-map and manual setting of waypoints
A grinder a la Deathspank, no traveling to vendors to unload useless junk for cash.
Bonus randomized dungeons like Torchlight for post-game loot grinding.

Top Bottom