• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana |OT|

Volcynika

b2Djk.png

0vkVO.jpg

When the adventuresome duo of Adol and Dogi make an unnanounced visit to Dogi's homeland of Felghana, it quickly becomes apparent that things have changed dramatically since Dogi departed on a journey of self-discovery eight years earlier. Hordes of violent monsters roam the outskirts of town, there's an unsettling rumor of a long-dormant volcano suddenly becoming active again, and the lord of the land has become more and more tyrannical with every passing day, most recently depriving the land's citizens of their right to mine for the precious ore known as "raval" - a staple of the economy for generations. As Adol and Dogi befin their search for the source of Felghana's recent tribulations, they find each clue leads them more and more towards the disturbing conclusion that these events are all somehow linked. The closer they get to the truth, the higher the stakes, as the consequences of their actions affect not just Felghana, but possibly the entire world.

5VOjv.jpg

• Platform -- PlayStation Portable (Available both via UMD and PSN), PC
  • Genre -- Action RPG
  • Release Date: 11/02/2010 (PSP/North America), 03/19/2012 (PC/NA and EU)
  • Publisher -- XSEED Games
  • Website -- Official Ys: The Oath in Felghana Website
  • ESRB -- T for Teen (Blood, Fantasy Violence, Mild Language, Suggestive Themes)

• Standard Edition ($29.99)

sa6Nw.jpg

• Premium Edition ($39.99) (Includes soundtrack CD and 4-inch by 6-inch 2011 desktop calendar featuring Ys artwork)

4s94A.jpg

n2955.jpg

• Classic RPG gets a facelift for the PSP -- New 3D graphics, new story elements, fully voiced cut-scenes and a completely re-imagined game world bring this classic to a new generation of fans.
  • New and Improved Action Battle System -- All battles now take place in 3D instead of 2D, and the magic and inventory systems have been completely overhauled to streamline play for fast-paced action and captivating exploration.
  • Lots of Added Customization Options -- A whopping six difficulty levels, a gripping in-game prologue novella, an artwork gallery and a movie gallery give players additional options previously unavailable.
  • Rearranged Soundtrack -- Critically-acclaimed soundtrack also gets a full makeover as new songs have been added while original songs have been freshly arranged with mostly live instrumentation.

F7jxZ.jpg

x9VCc.jpg

br6Gd.jpg

qd4aW.jpg

• Question -- Do I need to have played previous Ys games to enjoy this?
  • Answer -- No, you can jump in whenever you want. The Ys games stand by themselves for the most part, with only recurring characters/references to other games

• Question -- It'll be on PSN, so can I play it on my PS3? If not, have they announced it to be playable sometime soon via my PS3?
  • Answer -- No. This is a PSP title and can only be played on your PSP, and no hinting of bringing this game in any other format, outside of being available on the PC, has been made.

• Question -- Will the game have voice acting? English and/or Japanese? Can I turn it off if I don't like it?
  • Answer -- Yes, the game includes voice acting, and has about 1900 lines of voice acting. The game will only feature English voice acting, but for those of you that aren't a fan of it, XSEED has confirmed there is a mute option.

• Question -- Wasn't there already a translation of the game for the PC version? Will we any of that?
  • Answer -- Yes, while the game won't be word for word, they are using Deuce's fan translation as a base. So if you really enjoyed that one, don't worry.

• Question -- What kind of control method is there? Do I have to use the analog nub?
  • Answer -- No, you can choose from D-Pad or analog nub for this game. Although, with the analog-nub, you can set it to register 360 degrees or limit it to 8 directions. Choose what fits you best.

• Question -- Are there multiple music choices?
  • Answer -- Yes, in addition to the Oath in Felghana versions of the music, you can opt to listen to the PC-88 and X68000 versions of the music.

• Question -- Six difficulty levels? What?
  • Answer -- Yep! It will have Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard, Nightmare, and an unlockable Inferno mode, which will be quite a challenge.

Finally, my friends, let me leave you with this important piece of advice before you begin your journey, both in the game and posting of your exploits here...

YOpEe.jpg

*Much credit to Celedin for helping me with this thread.

Aeana

I was going to make a post that said "Buy this game, or else" but then I noticed...

oUVlP.jpg

What the heck is this? That text looks completely awful. Good lord, XSEED.

Jigsaw

Banned
commanderdeek said:
No cloth map, no sale.

i thought the map that came with seven featured the entire world,not just altago

What the heck is this? That text looks completely awful. Good lord, XSEED.

what's wrong with it?just because of the blanks?you are right,i will cancel my pre order and everyone else should do also

Volcynika

I combed earlier threads for questions for the FAQ (most of those seemed to be discussed a good bit), and now I'm keeping an eye out for how much space the PSN version will require, unless someone that ripped the JP version can give a ballpark estimate.

Aeana

Jigsaw said:
what's wrong with it?just because of the blanks?you are right,i will cancel my pre order and everyone else should do also
The letters are uneven. It looks like they tried to take the Ys 7 font and put it in this game, but messed something up in the process. Compare to this.

But good job on calling me out. It's not like I was going to buy it anyway, right? I'll remember that next time I'm talking to myself in the next Falcom game thread.

Tucah

you speak so well
I haven't even played the PSP version yet and I already know this is going to be my HGOTY. Such an incredible action RPG, cannot wait to be able to play it where ever I want.

Aeana

SalsaShark said:
Jumping on this as soon as my psp arrives.

Or should i play Seven first ?
Doesn't really matter. Ys 7 is very different from this game. This one came out first, so you might as well play it first, though.

Lain

I hope it'll live up to my expectations after Ys 7.
Naturally, I'll be playing it some weeks after you guys QQ.

DiscoJer

Aeana said:
The letters are uneven. It looks like they tried to take the Ys 7 font and put it in this game, but messed something up in the process.

I think it's the brightness/contrast.

Looks almost like they put the dialogue box on top of the text, instead of vice-versa. So it's being filtered by it...

Ys7.jpg

YsOath.jpg

(Yes, I can't believe I did this either, and yes, I mixed up the filenames)

Ashkeloth

As someone who doesn't own a PSP, but is basically a Ys fanboy, I implore everyone who enters this topic to buy this game. It is a great game, and the music is absolutely godly.

I will warn though of you who have only played Ys 7, though, that being a port of a PS2 game and working on what I assume is Ark of Napishtim's engine makes the graphics leave a bit to be desired.

Play-Asia still doesn't let me order the Premium Edition. :( Not going to buy the game until I can get the calendar. :(

Upd: also I don't understand what's wrong with the font. It looks fine to me.

Suzzopher

Got this pre-ordered:D

Just looking over the next couple of weeks, I have this, God of War, Blazblue and Knights in the Nightmare all on PSP. Good times:D

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'll be getting this before GoW:GoS though... Or at the same time.

Ferga

duckroll said:
Lol, didn't a Ys game just come out last month? Too soon...

Naww Ys7 got me into the Ys series and now I want more!

On another note, those translations really do look crappy...

Lain

Ferga said:
Naww Ys7 got me into the Ys series and now I want more!

On another note, those translations really do look crappy...

They do? I thought people were happy XSeed went with licensing the fan translation and just doing editing work on it.

Volcynika

duckroll said:
Lol, didn't a Ys game just come out last month? Too soon...

Not soon enough, duckroll. Not soon enough!

Negator said:
And we're getting another in what, January?

Yeah if the placeholder date is to be believed (and it's been close so far), we should see Ys I & II Chronicles in January.

Macstorm

LOVE & TRUTH said:
also I don't understand what's wrong with the font. It looks fine to me.
I know I'm just a shill and all, but I have no idea what the font complaint is either. Been playing it and it's easy enough to read in-game.

Aeana

If you look at the comparison posted above and it doesn't bother you, that's fine. I'm personally sick of niche publishers putting no thought whatsoever into the fonts they use for their translations. It makes their efforts look cheap and amateurish. Fan translations look better than some of the stuff put out recently.

Highly considering getting this game as my first Ys game, but there's a bunch of other games I'm trying to get out of the way first.

Macstorm

Aeana said:
If you look at the comparison posted above and it doesn't bother you, that's fine. I'm personally sick of niche publishers putting no thought whatsoever into the fonts they use for their translations. It makes their efforts look cheap and amateurish. Fan translations look better than some of the stuff put out recently.
I don't fault people for having issues with it, I just can't see it myself. I actually had an easier time reading this font than I did with the one used in Ys Seven, as I thought the letters were more cramped in Seven.

Bebpo

Banned
Aeana said:

Hasn't that been the case in the game/anime/manga localization forever? There are some exceptions with really good official localizations, but many have always been and are still cheap quick localizations.

I mean just look at Yakuza 3 cuts or Basara 3 having its historical database cut, or age changes in Rorona. It seems the same as the stuff going on in the 90s.

Aeana

Bebpo said:
Hasn't that been the case in the game/anime/manga localization forever? There are some exceptions with really good official localizations, but many have always been and are still cheap quick localizations.

I mean just look at Yakuza 3 cuts or Basara 3 having its historical database cut, or age changes in Rorona. It seems the same as the stuff going on in the 90s.
There are absolutely some really well-done fan translations. I mean, the Mother 3 one is superb. The average quality - at least as far as attention to interface consistency/reprogramming and typography are concerned - is fairly low on average, though. I'm not really talking about other aspects like cut content or actual translation quality or anything like that.

Torgo

Not to over-hype, but I'm about 4 hours into our review copy, and so far, this is the best Ys game that I've ever played. It's seriously awesome!

Aeana

Torgo said:
Not to over-hype, but I'm about 4 hours into our review copy, and so far, this is the best Ys game that I've ever played. It's seriously awesome!
It's commonly accepted by the fanbase that Oath in Felghana is the best one, so it's not surprising.

Volcynika

XSEED said they're not sure of the PSN size, but it should be close to Ys Seven, which I'm not sure how much difference it'll be with all the VA and such. I forgot how much space Ys Seven took up though!

Aeana

Volcynika said:
XSEED said they're not sure of the PSN size, but it should be close to Ys Seven, which I'm not sure how much difference it'll be with all the VA and such. I forgot how much space Ys Seven took up though!
I seem to remember the Japanese version being a little less than 700MB. But I could be remembering wrong.

Torgo said:

Didn't I tell you that, like, a zillion times? :D

I'm really impressed with the port. Was worried after Konami's version of Napishtim, but Falcom did a fantastic job with this one. Hope to see them port Ys Origin too since the engine seems similar enough.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I soooooo preordered the LE many sun cycles ago. Can't wait. Probably my favorite Ys games as respects gameplay and soundtracks!

Macstorm

I beat it a couple days back and am just waiting for the review embargo to lift on Nov. 1. I liked some parts more than Ys Seven, some less. Really fast combat is never a bad thing, though, especially after playing some other recent action RPGs.

Top Bottom