• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana |OT|

Volcynika

RavenFox said:
Why do Official threads never post links to purchase the game? Will be getting this and great thread OP.

Because there are tons of stores for both local and imports, and I assume anyone who is interested in the game knows where they're going to get it and knows how to order it from which store they want. How a person gets it is up to them. I'd put stuff like that in there if there was some crazy "Preorder from X store, get X gift, or preorder from Y store, get Y gift."

An excellent Ys game.
The PC version is fantastic.

Did they change/add anything for the PSP one ?

Not sure what all they added, but the PSP version is voiced.

Volcynika said:
Not sure what all they added, but the PSP version is voiced.

You can also switch to the retro PC88 and X68k (I think I got those right?) soundtracks on the fly. Felghana has pretty much one of my favorite soundtracks ever, but I've already listened to it so damn much that I find myself switching to the X68k music a lot. It's really good.

eXistor

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be in heaven with this game, I liked Ys Seven a lot, but the absolutely garbage story and narrative really dragged that one down unnecessarily. But I do love me some Ys and from what I understand this is the best of the bunch? I've only played I+II, Napishtim and Seven.

eXistor said:
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be in heaven with this game, I liked Ys Seven a lot, but the absolutely garbage story and narrative really dragged that one down unnecessarily. But I do love me some Ys and from what I understand this is the best of the bunch? I've only played I+II, Napishtim and Seven.

It's a refined version of Napishtim. Jump jump jump! Fun stuff.

Larsen B said:
All of the spines are going to match up?

That's awesome.

If I were a more OCD person it would make me nuts that the spines only match up if you align them in XSEED's release order, which is different from chronological in-story order. :lol

Larsen B said:
All of the spines are going to match up?

That's awesome.
They will for the regular editions as well.

And yeah it's pretty cool. XSEED really went all out in giving the Ys releases nice packaging.

charlequin said:
If I were a more OCD person it would make me nuts that the spines only match up if you align them in XSEED's release order, which is different from chronological in-story order. :lol

somehow i'm certain you just awakened a few OCD sleepers by just mentioning that.

Well, I was going to wait on this game since I just played Ys 7 in August, but I caved and ordered it from Amazon. It will be my second Ys game. Looking forward to it.

Macstorm

-Pyromaniac- said:
Seriously can't wait for this, Ys Seven was great and people are saying this is better? Yaayyy.
It is shorter, though. Less than half the length of Ys Seven. For someone who likes shorter RPGs, that might be a good thing.

Macstorm said:
It is shorter, though. Less than half the length of Ys Seven. For someone who likes shorter RPGs, that might be a good thing.
Works out even better for me actually. Time is going so slow waiting for Black Ops to come out which is on November 9th, I should easily beat this by then if I get it on the 2nd/3rd. Yipeeee.

Though normally I'd prefer long =p

Ricker

Damn..harder then Ys 7?? I can`t beat one of the Boss in 7 hehe but the retry option is there at least,still pre-ordered this,can`t wait.

charlequin said:

This has annoyed me since Ys Seven came out and I saw they'd stuck the first part of the Ys logo on the spine of the game box. Obviously it's not gonna match up if you organize them in the order they should be put in. Really wonder why XSEED did it that way.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
A another YS game? shit i still haven't gotten around to playing ys seven yet. I might hold that one off and play this one first, since it's a earlier game in the series.

Foffy

Banned
I haven't followed this series at all, but I've always heard of it. Would this be a good game to start on?

Also, why are all of the protagonists red heads? Is it the same protagonist?

andymcc

Banned
Foffy said:
I haven't followed this series at all, but I've always heard of it. Would this be a good game to start on?

yes and yes.

Peff

Foffy said:

Yeah. This is a remake of the third game in the series chronologically (but there's no need to have played the others before), and it features the "new" style where you directly control Adol's attacks and there is quite a bit of platforming instead of a top-down view with d-pad fighting where you ram into the enemies. Next year XSeed will release Ys Chronicles which is a PSP port of Ys 1 and 2, those ones play like that.

Yes.

Foffy

Banned
andymcc said:
yes and yes.

Ah, okay. I'm not a super hardcore JRPG fan, so stuff like this usually passes me by. I feel somewhat ashamed. ):

But I guess now's a good time for me to finally try to get into Ys, Suikoden, and King's Field, among others. :lol

Okay, so out of the only two Ys games I've played thus far, I loved The Ark of Napishtim but then I was pretty much bored to tears by Ys 7 (I hated how the combat felt completely generic between each character, and none of the skills actually felt like different skills, just a bunch of super fast movement and random numbers popping up; I dunno, can't really explain it but the game just did nothing for me) What I loved about Ark was not only the simple joy of the battle system, but the uniqueness of each sword and I LOOOOVED the zelda-esque menu screen where I just got to slowly fill it in with every item/equip piece in the game like it was a puzzle.

So, after that, would you suggest I definitely pick this game up, or totally pass?

Macstorm

robotzombie said:
Okay, so out of the only two Ys games I've played thus far, I loved The Ark of Napishtim but then I was pretty much bored to tears by Ys 7 (I hated how the combat felt completely generic between each character, and none of the skills actually felt like different skills, just a bunch of super fast movement and random numbers popping up; I dunno, can't really explain it but the game just did nothing for me) What I loved about Ark was not only the simple joy of the battle system, but the uniqueness of each sword and I LOOOOVED the zelda-esque menu screen where I just got to slowly fill it in with every item/equip piece in the game like it was a puzzle.

So, after that, would you suggest I definitely pick this game up, or totally pass?
Oath is much more like that than Seven was. I haven't played Ark, but it sounds like it has more to it than Oath. Not that having more makes it better.

Varion

robotzombie said:

I think you should try this. The different swords system in Ys 6 basically equates to the elemental rings in Felghana, and the menu screen you mention is still there if I remember rightly. The battle system is much closer to 6's too, with the notable difference that you don't have any stockable healing items.

Could always watch some videos and see whether it looks good to you, but it's definitely much closer to Ark than Seven was. Felghana basically felt like the Ark formula refined to me (which was then perfected in Origin, though I'm sure some people would argue with me here), whereas Seven really felt like something different. I still really enjoyed it, but Felghana and Origin are the best to me.

zurra

whoa. i was going to download this, but the spines on the LE lining up like that has changed my mind!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
SavoryCade said:
You can also switch to the retro PC88 and X68k (I think I got those right?) soundtracks on the fly. Felghana has pretty much one of my favorite soundtracks ever, but I've already listened to it so damn much that I find myself switching to the X68k music a lot. It's really good.

Oh no way. I played the PC version a ton so I wasn't terribly interested...but now I am!

May16

RPG Land says it's "Excellent out of Ten."
Ys: The Oath in Felghana is an excellent game. There is almost no filler in the game, and the game works so well on the PSP it might as well have been created for it. There’s plenty to do in the game and even more to do after beating it. Oath in Felghana‘s biggest downside is that the higher difficulty levels are only for those with the best gaming chops and may discourage many players. Outside of this, there is no reason why Ys: The Oath in Felghana should be passed over. This game is the tightest – and more importantly, the most fun – game I’ve played all year.

Mechar

Neo Member
Pree-ordered this when the Limited Edition-version was announced, so I'm just sitting and waiting patiently for Videogameplus to shipp this. Having played through Ys Seven (which served as my introduction to the series) and The Ark of Napishtim recently, I'm just starting to get familiar with the series, and so far I'm really pleased to see that it is a damn fine one.

In the meanwhile, I'll be busy with yet another Xseed game, Lunar Silver Star Harmony.

Went ahead and preordered the LE off Amazon for $30.
I still haven't beaten Ys 7(though admittedly it's because I'm not enjoying it that much) so eh I'm patient.

May16

It sounds like I've been playing the wrong Ys game, maybe. I've been playing Ys I&II chronicles and, while overall decent, the combat isn't doing it for me. I liked Ark of Napishtim a lot though, and it sounds like Felghana's combat system is closer to that than I&II. Is that accurate? If so I think I'll get this one.

Top Bottom