• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana |OT|

Salaadin

Kagari said:
Got mine yesterday:

Unsure if I should play this or Ys Seven first.

Both are awesome but Felghana is better. You cant go wrong with either.
If it were me, Id go with Felghana simply because it takes place before Ys 7.

Volcynika

*kicks Amazon*

Better be here tomorrow whenever it ships! :mad:

EDIT: THAT'S RIGHT AMAZON

"via UPS (estimated delivery date: November 04, 2010)."

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Started this up and while I do really enjoy it so far, it feels somewhat limp in terms of gameplay thus far.

The presentation is just phenomenal though. I have a PSP Go, so I cannot speak for the UMD version, but the loadtimes, transitions, and general 'feel' of navigating around the gamespace is such a delight! Everything is so snappy and polished, it's unlike most PSP gaming experiences wherein there is always some jank to the framerate, loading, or underbelly seams that really tug at my desire to bother playing on the handheld.

As for combat...well it's so goddamn mash-happy that much like my (VERY limited) time with Ys seven it's hard to really get ANY sense of accomplishment out of killing stuff. Adol moves like lightning, and bugs/vermin just explode constantly. I'm flailing on autopilot almost as if I need not look at the screen ever...just keep hitting x and somehow I end every combat scenario with full life and a bunch of stat multipliers.

I suppose this is just 'early game doldrums', and the boss encounters become the real highlight, or I NEED to wait several hours before earning enough spells and abilities to actually make things interesting. But Adol just spazzing out in a flurry of eye-searing sword acrobatics everytime I press x isn't making the experience feel compelling...just confusing and rather bland.

Again, I hope this sort of thing alters dramatically as new enemy types and combat options present themselves.

Enk

makes good threads.
Brandon F said:
As for combat...well it's so goddamn mash-happy that much like my (VERY limited) time with Ys seven it's hard to really get ANY sense of accomplishment out of killing stuff. Adol moves like lightning, and bugs/vermin just explode constantly. I'm flailing on autopilot almost as if I need not look at the screen ever...just keep hitting x and somehow I end every combat scenario with full life and a bunch of stat multipliers.

I thought the same thing at first when I orginally played it but the mashy sections are mainly in the first area. Things start to heat up more from the second area onward, and you will have to look at that screen or get killed by a casual enemy.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Unlike Y's 7, this one is capturing me right away. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the look and feel of this. So right at home and reminds me of more old school PS1 RPG goodness. If anyone is saying that we are lacking in JRPG's today, I dare you to try this and not come away enamored.

The music is very nice. I am going right back to it now.

Oh and the voice over work while not great is definitely bearable. Unlike, say, Arc Rise Fantasia. It feels old school in an awesome way.

KAGARI, definitely play this first. It's way better (to me) than Y's 7. It's got its hooks in me way faster than 7 did.

Volcynika

LiquidMetal14 said:
Unlike Y's 7, this one is capturing me right away. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the look and feel of this. So right at home and reminds me of more old school PS1 RPG goodness. If anyone is saying that we are lacking in JRPG's today, I dare you to try this and not come away enamored.

The music is very nice. I am going right back to it now.

Oh and the voice over work while not great is definitely bearable. Unlike, say, Arc Rise Fantasia. It feels old school in an awesome way.

KAGARI, definitely play this first. It's way better (to me) than Y's 7. It's got its hooks in me way faster than 7 did.

Please read the OP, the very end of it is important for you to take notice of!

:p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gah! There's no apostrophe in Ys. It's pronounced ees, not Wise.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Amazon sent me my delivery confirmation today (arrives on the 5th), and I was shocked to see that I was only charged $19 and change.
For the LE.

Peff

Volcynika said:
There's no apostrophe in PR, boxarts or anything. I don't know where it came from!

master-system-ys-the-vanished-omens-box-front.jpg

Volcynika

Peff said:
http://www.chronicgames.net/images/games/master%20system/master-system-ys-the-vanished-omens-box-front.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

SEGA STRIKES AGAIN FFFFFFFFFFUCK.

(Though ZERO of the XSeed boxarts/announcements/anything have an apostrophe!)

Brandon F said:

I suppose this is just 'early game doldrums', and the boss encounters become the real highlight, or I NEED to wait several hours before earning enough spells and abilities to actually make things interesting. But Adol just spazzing out in a flurry of eye-searing sword acrobatics everytime I press x isn't making the experience feel compelling...just confusing and rather bland.
Yeah, when monsters start getting deadly enough you want to avoid being touched by one, you'll stop just jumping in swinging away :) And yeah, bosses of course that doesn't work at all on - the first boss fight is pretty early on, so soon enough you'll get your ass handed to you...

Teknoman

Peff said:

Adol doesnt have blond hair. Your argument is invalid.

Also hell yeah at the game having a new game + mode AND bosses that change patterns and attacks depending on difficulty. Snagged the LE.

EDIT: Does the voice acting in this sound anything like Ys I & II Turbo CD version?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I got my copy, I'll give my impressions tomorrow. It's interesting that every character I've met so far has an individual portrait.

Salaadin

Normal mode on the PSP version feels MUCH easier than Normal mode on the PC version. That or Im just awesome.
Ill keep it on Normal for now but will definitely play again on the tougher difficulties.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
ULTROS! said:
It's interesting that every character I've met so far has an individual portrait.
Before Ys Seven came along with its giant amounts of bloat, the last few Ys games before it had been extrmeely tight-knit; so there may only be a couple dozen or so NPC characters but they'd all have unique looks and personalities instead of basically being talking sign-posts.

LiquidMetal14

I'm playing on normal too. I am at the Illburns Ruins. Quick question, does it help to just keep upgrading weapons and wasting valuable resources? It seems that I will keep running into better stuff on the field anyways. That and I tend to like to traverse back and forth to grind so in terms of leveling, I feel ok as of now. I loved that crystal-like boss (1st or 2nd in game?). I know Illburn isn't very far in but I want to make sure I'm playing to the highest potential and not wasting money/resources upgrading at the wrong times.

Peff

LiquidMetal14 said:
I'm playing on normal too. I am at the Illburns Ruins. Quick question, does it help to just keep upgrading weapons and wasting valuable resources? It seems that I will keep running into better stuff on the field anyways. That and I tend to like to traverse back and forth to grind so in terms of leveling, I feel ok as of now. I loved that crystal-like boss (1st or 2nd in game?). I know Illburn isn't very far in but I want to make sure I'm playing to the highest potential and not wasting money/resources upgrading at the wrong times.

Tier 3 equipment is a good one to upgrade, since you can get a ton of raval around this time in Redmont and the following dungeon, so it's OK to spend it. You can even sell some to someone in the town to get a bit of extra money and purchase the tier 3 armor/shield, which gives a much bigger defense boost than upgrading tier 2. The difference between normal and upgraded is never super important, so you can't really screw up.

LiquidMetal14

Any tips for the volcanic boss at the end of the dungeon? Not the first one you fight lava but the main keeper. I just fought it once and it owned me :lol

Peff

LiquidMetal14 said:
Any tips for the volcanic boss at the end of the dungeon? Not the first one you fight lava but the main keeper. I just fought it once and it owned me :lol

The bridge dragon? He can be tough. Stay mostly on the sides you you are not hit by the big tackles he usually does and attack while he's in the bridge but be careful with the fireballs, don't push your luck.

LiquidMetal14

Peff said:
The bridge dragon? He can be tough. Stay mostly on the sides you you are not hit by the big tackles he usually does and attack while he's in the bridge but be careful with the fireballs, don't push your luck.
It's the boss that makes the ground up with spikes. I have to move to the sides to dodge them. I put it in sleep mode so I will try again. It's not the first time I've been beat in a boss or encounter. I just figured I'd ask for some tips before tackling it again Thanks. Will report back.

I think I am going to put Ys 7 on hold to play this. After getting it on PSN I still haven't even played it yet, aside from reading the (amusing) manual. Having played the PC version of Oath up till the annoyingly difficult boss at the end of the lava area I already know Oath will end up being one my faves by the end.

And games like this make me glad I have my PSP component cable hooked up to my receiver. Not for the TV output, but for the great sound. Audio really is the only thing I have really used my PSP component cables for. In Ys music is like half the game for me.

Anyway something about Ys 3 just keeps me coming back for more. I remember back in the day spending an afternoon beating a version of the game. The music, the quick and easy gameplay, and not having to spend hours and hours to beat it really made it into one of my faves. Hopefully this one impresses me so much I end up wanting to play through all difficulty modes after normal.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I was expecting Ghost of Sparta to arrive today, and Oath to arrive tomorrow.
Somehow, they magically flipped placed.
I am not displeased.

Also, that SMS box mention of Y's is obviously a typo.
The logo in the front of that very box has it as Ys, as it should be.
But yes, FUCKING SEGA!

Edgeward

Woo, my order I placed on Monday shipped today and I should be expecting it tomorrow! Just in time as I reach the last boss of Ys 7 too. Bless Amazon Prime's little heart, you are too good to me.

Got mah copy of the Limited Edition tonight after work, sadly this game is going to have to wait a bit to get played. There's been such a wealth of handheld games lately, gotta beat a few others before I can crack this one open. I can't wait to play Oath in Felghana, I've heard such good things about it over the years, it will be nice to finally experience this game.

damn amazon is normally great about how they package items for shipping but this time they used one of those slide in cardboard boxes and as a result my LE box is fucked up :'(

tim.mbp

Just finished on normal. 8 hours 14 minutes. Found Oath more enjoyable than Seven, but I liked the dungeon designs better in Seven. Combat was better in Oath though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm liking the game so far, my only complaint is that Adol is quite small in the first dungeon (haven't reached the second yet) and coins are hard to see.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Volcynika said:
As expected, QisTopTier is pro'ing it up.

It's a bit annoying though only because the bosses have SO MUCH HP I don't mind the dying in 2 3 or 4 hits. But god damn some of these fights are like 4 - 6 minutes long and you die in 3 hits :lol About half way done now though. (maybe further not sure)

LiquidMetal14

ULTROS! said:
I'm liking the game so far, my only complaint is that Adol is quite small in the first dungeon (haven't reached the second yet) and coins are hard to see.
Sure but your senses should be tuned into that by the second dungeon. It gets better and better.

I did beat that bridge boss I was talking about yesterday. That was way harder than I expected so early on in the game.

Volcynika

QisTopTier said:
It's a bit annoying though only because the bosses have SO MUCH HP I don't mind the dying in 2 3 or 4 hits. But god damn some of these fights are like 4 - 6 minutes long and you die in 3 hits :lol About half way done now though. (maybe further not sure)

Yeah, I'm wondering how frustrated I'll be with that, since I'm playing it on nightmare as well. Just started the first dungeon, gonna play it a good bit this weekend!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
ULTROS! said:
Yeah, I was going to post about this, the game looks like ass on the PSP, it's really almost depressing being such an uber nerd for the original game. The monsters and item drops almost perfectly blend into the background, it's so damn hard to see things. Everything looks murky too, the text especially.

Peff

Is it that bad? That's a shame... I thought something like that could happen because of the lower resolution. I guess after a while you get used to it because not many people seemed to mention it in reviews.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Peff said:
Is it that bad? That's a shame... I thought something like that could happen because of the lower resolution. I guess after a while you get used to it because not many people seemed to mention it in reviews.
I personally beleive it's pretty bad but I could also see it being glossed over in reviews.

I'm also 100% sure it'll just flat out stick out more to anyone that has played it on the PC before.

Peff

Heh, probably :( It's still portable Felghana though :D Other than that are there any issues with the port so far?

Salaadin

Thats my only real issue with the game. There was actually a moment where I was near death and praying that Id get an HP+ drop. It wasnt until AFTER I died that I saw one sitting off to the side. They stood out so well on the PC but I have to train my eyes to really look for them now.

Other than that, I feel like the game works really well on PSP.

Macstorm

I got crap for not drooling over the visuals in my review. Though I thought the game was good and I'm not a graphics whore, so it didn't hinder anything for me.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Peff said:
Heh, probably :( It's still portable Felghana though :D Other than that are there any issues with the port so far?
Everything else rocks!

I'm having a brain fart here though, Ys fans. I've played Felghana a lot but it's been a few years. Is the double boost ability new? I swear it's new because I'm just shocked at how powerful it is (the initial damage burst and the healing). I don't remember it at all, in fact, now that I am writing out that it gives you back HP, I'm damn certain it's new.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Peff said:
Yeah, that's new, and it sounds helpful! Is it a separate bar or something?
Indeed it is. You get it at the same time as the double jump, your boost bar at this point will fill up twice. If you trigger boost once it's filled twice you'll explode doing a decent amount of area damage and your HP fills up decently during boost mode. The HP gain has already made me scratch by two boss fights I would have died on without it.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Peff said:
http://www.chronicgames.net/images/games/master%20system/master-system-ys-the-vanished-omens-box-front.jpg

The PC-Engine version of Ys IV does it as well, but only on the disc for some reason.:

242146342_o.jpg

It's probably the publisher's fault.

Top Bottom