• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana |OT|

Salaadin

My orders already changed too. 30 bucks for that LE is a steal. Because of the price drop, I went ahead and changed my shipping speed to One day instead of Two.

Edgeward

Good thing I browsed this thread, LE GET!

But yes, when I just pre-ordered on the store page it already had the "Usually ships within 2 to 5 weeks." sign already put up. Which okay since I need to finish Ys 7 still.

Johnas

LiquidMetal14 said:
is this street dated for today or will it be in stores tomorrow?

I want to say this won't be in stores until tomorrow. I did a little searching when I was out earlier and didn't find it anywhere. Pretty sure today is just the ship date.

Salaadin

Linkzg said:
the LE for 30 is nice but

wait, what? hopefully it is a mistake

Mine is listed for 11/4. I placed the order back in September.
Its listed as out of stock on the main page though. Did you order today?

Paznos

Switched my Amazon copy before it shipped to the LE but won't be getting it til next week, which is fine since I still have VC2 to finish and Birth by Sleep to start lol.

May16 said:
It sounds like I've been playing the wrong Ys game, maybe. I've been playing Ys I&II chronicles and, while overall decent, the combat isn't doing it for me. I liked Ark of Napishtim a lot though, and it sounds like Felghana's combat system is closer to that than I&II. Is that accurate? If so I think I'll get this one.
Oh yeah - Oath in Felghana took Ark of Napishtim's combat and platforming and perfected it.

Quixzlizx

I just ordered the $30 LE from Amazon. Thanks for the heads-up.

PS: I have a normal expected delivery date for a super-saver order.

As I have a PSPGo, I wasn't going to buy the LE version of the game. But with the price drop, I just ordered it anyways :) The soundtrack CD will be worth it - though I got the super PC version that came with like 8 soundtrack CD's, what it didn't have was the straight Oath in Felghana soundtrack.

zurra

the LE is showing full price again... what's going on with their system?? dropped to $30 on my existing order, at least.

doesn't look like it's going to ship out until tomorrow. oh well, as long as it's here in time to destroy any weekend plans!

Salaadin

CcrooK said:
Odd. Amazon lists the LE for the $30 but when you add it, it's still $40.

I just looked on my end.

This morning, they dropped it to 30 bucks. I checked my order when I saw the post and my order was also reflecting the change. My card has also been charged $33.81 for the game + one day Prime shipping.

However, when I view the main Ys:OiF page now, its back at 40 bucks. It looks like amazon either mistakenly dropped the price or had a quick 5 hour sale or something.

My order is still saying $33.81 though and my card has already been charged.

LowParry

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
That's much shorter than I thought.

Still want it though...but...kind of a short game for a action/RPG.

I could replay the game a million times and enjoy it all around. It's that good in my book. Love the Ys series.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Has this hit stores yet? I forgot to pre-order but would like to swing by a Gamestop on my way back from work to grab it.

10 hours is a perfectly great length for a game like this, especially when you consider that its rough equivalent, a Metroidvania, is roughly half the length with substantially more filler. I love Ys Seven a lot also but it did feel a little bloated at times. This is much quicker and has a brilliant tempo.

The Tigre Mine theme, Be Careful, is also one of the best video game theme songs EVER. I have the Genesis version of the song as my ringtone, so every time someone calls me I can be reminded about how awesome it is.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
That's much shorter than I thought.

Still want it though...but...kind of a short game for a action/RPG.
It's in large part due to them focusing on the core gameplay - there is no unnecessary padding. You don't stay in a dungeon so long that you get tired of it, there isn't any unnecessary backtracking, the storyline segments are pretty short. And the game rewards playing through it more than once, with 5 different difficulty levels (that actually make the bosses do entirely different attacks), things you unlock every time you beat it, etc.

Volcynika

Dreamwriter said:
It's in large part due to them focusing on the core gameplay - there is no unnecessary padding. You don't stay in a dungeon so long that you get tired of it, there isn't any unnecessary backtracking, the storyline segments are pretty short. And the game rewards playing through it more than once, with 5 different difficulty levels (that actually make the bosses do entirely different attacks), things you unlock every time you beat it, etc.

Six difficulty levels!

tim.mbp

Johnas said:
I want to say this won't be in stores until tomorrow. I did a little searching when I was out earlier and didn't find it anywhere. Pretty sure today is just the ship date.

Just came back with my copy from Gamestop.

Edit: Pic.

Apn9z.jpg

Macstorm

Augemitbutter said:
i don't think you'll finish it in 8-10 hours on the higher difficulties.
Quite likely not. Plus the game gives lot of incentive to replay it, so even if you do finish in 8-10, that's not a bad thing.

Johnas

tim.mbp said:
Just came back with my copy from Gamestop.

Edit: Pic.

Atta boy.

Does anybody know if there are non-preordered copies of the Limited Edition available, just sitting on store shelves? Or do you have to preorder it for a store to receive it?

Enk

makes good threads.
Just began playing around with this a bit. Here's some quick impressions:

- 5 difficulties unlocked from start (ulike the PC where you had to beat/hack the game to unlock them)
- Lots of options including one to turn off voices and change between 3 music styles
- Oh god the voices! Off you go.
- Holding 'O' speeds through the cutscenes
- Game loads super quick (UMD) in fact I haven't noticed any game loading so far
- Blood and gibs are still there
- Game looks decent on PSP though sprites are a little on the soft side

Phatcorns

Yo, I understand that we're gaming enthusiasts and this is a gaming enthusiast forum, but I pop in this thread and I see someone complaining about the text looking terrible? Is this the level of minutiae it's come to?

Enk

makes good threads.
john tv said:
Any thoughts on the writing and voices? Please tell me it's much, much better than Ys Seven? :)

Honestly, I've been skimming through most of the story since I've played through this a couple of times already. I think the translation was the same as the PC one, which was pretty good. Voices however were pretty bad for the most part. Dogi's was awful, Colet...er Elena was ok, and the narrator sounded awkward. You can turn the voices off thankfully.

eLZhi said:
Has anyone found this game in any stores other than GS/EB? I can't find it anywhere and can't order it online at the moment.
Got a LE at GameStop today. That was without a preorder.

Enk said:
Honestly, I've been skimming through most of the story since I've played through this a couple of times already. I think the translation was the same as the PC one, which was pretty good. Voices however were pretty bad for the most part. Dogi's was awful, Colet...er Elena was ok, and the narrator sounded awkward. You can turn the voices off thankfully.
The translation wasn't exactly the same as the PC, XSeed said they started with that, and then edited it.

Haha - ordered it last night, woke up this morning and saw the LE was marked down. Cancelled order and got LE instead. Still showing up as $29.82, frickin' sweet! :D

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Just bought this off PSN as well.

About to settle down in bed and play it.

Was looking forward to this Ys release the most. I saw a Ys7 collector's edition sitting in gamestop though that I'll probably pick up if I like this enough.

Excited just from listening to the music, lol.

Phatcorns said:
Yo, I understand that we're gaming enthusiasts and this is a gaming enthusiast forum, but I pop in this thread and I see someone complaining about the text looking terrible? Is this the level of minutiae it's come to?

I know right? Next thing we'll be complaining about FPS drops and freezing. Making games is hard yo.

The text is bad, it matters a lot on a tiny screen, if you're fine with mediocrity no one is going to hold it against you.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Phatcorns said:

I'd have to agree the text looks awful in pictures, but in the actual game on a PSP screen I didn't see any problem at all.

Enk said:
Voices however were pretty bad for the most part. Dogi's was awful, Colet...er Elena was ok, and the narrator sounded awkward. You can turn the voices off thankfully.

I can't be arsed to feel one way or another about most of the voices, but the narrator is fantastic. Makes it sound like a classy old grandpa telling a story.

Lain

Paznos said:
Switched my Amazon copy before it shipped to the LE but won't be getting it til next week, which is fine since I still have VC2 to finish and Birth by Sleep to start lol.

I'm on the same boat, except my LE is from VG+ and I wont get it before 2 to 3 weeks. But like you, I still have VC2 to finish and BbS to start :lol

Top Bottom