• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana |OT|

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Got fucked over when I went to Gamestop... I preordered a week ago, so I'd get a freshly-sealed Limited Edition... so what happens when I go there to pick up my game?

They give me the "shelf copy" aka "don't worry it's still new" version. I specifically preordered so I wouldn't have all these shitty stickers on the game... the least they could have done would be to keep my copy held for me instead of trying to sell it. Worthless store.

So I ended up ordering from Amazon. Today I'm gonna start Ys 7 too, FINALLY. Now that DQ9 is done and I'm sick of doing postgame quests.

MoxManiac

djtiesto said:
Got fucked over when I went to Gamestop... I preordered a week ago, so I'd get a freshly-sealed Limited Edition... so what happens when I go there to pick up my game?

They give me the "shelf copy" aka "don't worry it's still new" version. I specifically preordered so I wouldn't have all these shitty stickers on the game... the least they could have done would be to keep my copy held for me instead of trying to sell it. Worthless store.

So I ended up ordering from Amazon. Today I'm gonna start Ys 7 too, FINALLY. Now that DQ9 is done and I'm sick of doing postgame quests.

I haven't set foot in a gamestop for almost a year, and bullshit like this is part of the reason why.

djtiesto said:

Holy shit, did you demand a sealed one?

when I was living in the states, I preordered in-store pickups quite often and this never happened to me. That's nuts.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
AgentOtaku said:
Holy shit, did you demand a sealed one?

when I was living in the states, I preordered in-store pickups quite often and this never happened to me. That's nuts.
It happened to me on 2 occasions and I am SUPER picky about buying games with stickers all over them. I told them that it's not new if you fondle it and put a stupid price sticker on it. I wonder if they would refund me if I opened the seal in store, walked out, and walked back in? No different. The policy needs to change. Get a placeholder case or scan/copy the cover from a website. Who gives a damn how they get it, a system needs to be in place.

I hate when GameStop guts preordered games. Makes no fucking sense. Why do you need to display a copy of the game that you're not supposed to be selling to anyone but me?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Augemitbutter said:
yes, that would be the only option for a replay.
Alma's Trials make the end game a lot less painful on Nightmare, if I'm recalling.

Actually, Alma's Trials makes the end game a cinch on any difficulty since you can level up to 60 from it, LOL.

LiquidMetal14

I'm at the
snowy mountains area
. I got up to the cabin and talked to
Dogi's friend
. He said he will be back shortly so I go an explore and reach about the end of the area. There 2 cracked rock portions that look like they can be broken with something. I guess my quesiton is what am I doing wrong lol. I explored the entire area (leveled up like 8 times in the process :p).

In short, HALP o___O

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
LiquidMetal14 said:
I'm at the
snowy mountains area
. I got up to the cabin and talked to
Dogi's friend
. He said he will be back shortly so I go an explore and reach about the end of the area. There 2 cracked rock portions that look like they can be broken with something. I guess my quesiton is what am I doing wrong lol. I explored the entire area (leveled up like 8 times in the process :p).

In short, HALP o___O
Did you get the Terra bracelet from Dogi? Did you read the instructions card that showed when you got it?

LiquidMetal14

Princess Skittles said:
Did you get the Terra bracelet from Dogi? Did you read the instructions card that showed when you got it?
Now that you mention it yes. I totally forgot about it. Thanks!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
djtiesto said:

When did you go to pick it up? While it sucks this happened to you, many, many stores follow the pre-order guidelines to the letter. Meaning, if you don't pick it up before 48 hours are up, they will gut it if it needs to be gutted. If you went to pick it up before the 48 hours were up (meaning before today), then you should take your issue to their district manager and lodge a complaint.

Gamestop's pre-order conditions are well known. If they break them, it's on them. If you are late, it's on you. IIRC, the terms are printed on your receipt.

Or just order with Amazon from now on.

LiquidMetal14

Princess Skittles said:
I thought about it more and I did figure it out. I missed that 1 item in the ruins. The one way down at the bottom of the dungeon. I missed it the first time around. I just stumbled under this one bridge in the darkness and seen there was this whole underbelly to the dungeon. Beat the boss and now I'm getting more story progression. Now when I'm up at the mountains I beat the 3 girls and am now talking to Dogi's friend. FINALLY :lol

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
LiquidMetal14 said:
I thought about it more and I did figure it out. I missed that 1 item in the ruins. The one way down at the bottom of the dungeon. I missed it the first time around. I just stumbled under this one bridge in the darkness and seen there was this whole underbelly to the dungeon. Beat the boss and now I'm getting more story progression. Now when I'm up at the mountains I beat the 3 girls and am now talking to Dogi's friend. FINALLY :lol
What item are you referring to? I'm pretty sure that most mobility enhancing items have to be gotten before progressing to the next area.

Like, you need the double jump before even going up the mountains.

LiquidMetal14

Princess Skittles said:
What item are you referring to? I'm pretty sure that most mobility enhancing items have to be gotten before progressing to the next area.

Like, you need the double jump before even going up the mountains.
I got that. The other thing I just went back for was that other thing at the very bottom of mine. You know when that dark area is unlocked? I just got the item at the end of that crystallized boss fight that illuminates things to their true nature. I went up to the mountains before but I couldn't progress. I just returned after doing all the stuff I said and fought that dark dude (sorry I'm bad with names) and when I entered Dogi's cabin it triggered a cut scene. Hope that made sense.

Salaadin

I just realized that I forgot something in the Fire cave place.

After you kill the dragon and head back up the steps, theres the drop that takes you down to where Chester is. Before you drop down, cant you use the wind ability to make it across the gap and isnt there a chest on the other side? Whats in that chest?

LiquidMetal14

Salaadin said:

After you kill the dragon and head back up the steps, theres the drop that takes you down to where Chester is. Before you drop down, cant you use the wind ability to make it across the gap and isnt there a chest on the other side? Whats in that chest?
I want to say raval ore. Or a key item to give to an NPC. I just did this part yesterday and already forgot. It's all action so my memory isn't as good with this kind of RPG.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Salaadin said:

If it's a brown chest, it would just be gems, red chests are actual items but I think there's only one you ever need to "backtrack" to get (incidentally, it's in that same area, but you need the Terra bracelet).

Salaadin

Ill go back a little later then, thanks.

I have to remember that other gap I need to cross to get
that dead guys pendant to deliver to the old lady in town. My next place to visit is the mines so Ill be sure to do that

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm at the final dungeon and some thoughts (major spoilers):

- I didn't expect that the bishop and the nun would be the antagonists in the game.
- Some of the bosses are frustrating like Chester 2 and the ice dragon (when the dragon is about to die, it'll swoop you up and drop you down the spiked ledges).
- Having fun with the game, minus a few frustrating bosses.
- Dogi and Anya talk funny.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I finally broke down. I wasn't going to get this because I already own Oath on PC, but I can't pass this up. I don't have the willpower. I'm going to pick this up when I have some time tomorrow afternoon.

T_T

7threst

Still waiting for my copy to arrive. It always takes so long for games ordered from Canada to arrive in Holland, grrrr! It's almost painfull seeing everyboy here enjoying the game already :lol

Teknoman

Heh Chester's VA sounds exactly how I imagined Scias to sound.

EDIT: Like the bad guy voices, they've got an old school feel to them.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just completed the game, clocked in around 12 hours. Will be posting my review for this game in the NeoGAF Reviews Thread.

tim.mbp

Teknoman said:
What carries over in new game +?

There's a points system. Depending on which difficulty you cleared, you are given a certain number of points which can spent on carrying over certain things like starting with all you gold and ore or with the double jump.

LiquidMetal14

Good review there :)

I just got that ice platformning. It's not so bad once you get past a certain point you can whirlwind across anyways. Without reading spoilerish parts, I would give it about the same score, if not a titch lower.

ULTROS!

Sort of off topic but in anticipation for Ys Chronicles, I'm playing Ys VI right now. :D

How long is Ys Chronicles though?

LiquidMetal14 said:
Good review there :)

I just got that ice platformning. It's not so bad once you get past a certain point you can whirlwind across anyways. Without reading spoilerish parts, I would give it about the same score, if not a titch lower.

Did you get the stone boots? It will definitely make the ice platforming sections a lot easier.

Does anyone know if the psn version requires 6.3 or can I play it on 6.2? I want to get this but I don't want to upgrade my go.

LiquidMetal14

ULTROS! said:
Sort of off topic but in anticipation for Ys Chronicles, I'm playing Ys VI right now. :D

How long is Ys Chronicles though?

Did you get the stone boots? It will definitely make the ice platforming sections a lot easier.
Where do you get those? I don't believe I have them.

Add me on PSN, it's easier to get a hold of me there.

ULTROS!

LiquidMetal14 said:
Where do you get those? I don't believe I have them.

Add me on PSN, it's easier to get a hold of me there.

I'll add you later but I'll post it here for now.

After Dogi tosses you the bracelet and when you reach the "hidden" save point behind one of the breakable walls and the next area with a breakable wall, fall down the hole when you reach the ice area and go to the left and keep going to the bottom-left of that map, there will be a red treasure chest there.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Well, I ordered it from Amazon, and it should be here on Monday. I already own and played through the PC version so the wait doesn't bother me... plus I have Ys 7 which will occupy me (just started it!).

MrDaravon

djtiesto said:

Gamestop is super up front (and is on the receipt) that they only hold shit for 48 hours bro.

The gutting thing is bullshit in general and I'm not defending it, but they're pretty clear on how long they hold stuff for. Unless this was Tuesday or Wednesday, in which case yeah you need to file a complaint with their DM.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Volcynika said:
Bahhhhhhh fucking can't beat Guilen on nightmare. I always mess up bad near the end, had him down to 10 HP twice!

:(

Yeah he was annoying, next boss is gonna make you rage though. I was stuck on him for like 3 hours :lol Like I said the hardest part about nightmare mode is how much HP the bosses have. It's like a super long battle of not allowed to make a mistake. It's amazing though :D

Ferga

God just beat that second boss goddess thing that flings energy rings at you on nightmare

Had to spend a hour leveling up to 8 to beat it :lol

God this game is just beautiful and stunning

Voice acting is brilliant too. love the narrator's old and wise voice

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ferga said:
God this game is just beautiful and stunning

Voice acting is brilliant too. love the narrator's old and wise voice

I really wish they would release the series one game at a time on psn or live arcade as console games. Oh well =(

On the positive side of things psp almost has the entire series on it xD just need 4 and 5 now

Volcynika

That's right fuck you Guilen! I beat you down!

.....expect a repeat of my rage on the next boss, next time on "Volc plays Nightmare difficulty!"

ULTROS!

Ferga said:
Is it worth selling 10 raval ore to the merchant guy?

Yeah, you can obtain more raval ore afterwards.

But if I were you I'd sell the raval ore towards the end of the game.

Top Bottom