• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blacklight: Tango Down |OT| Guns, Visors and ECM

LOGOTYPE_FINAL_TANGODOWN.jpg

Now finally available on PSN in NA, with Europe, Australia and New Zealand following on the 3rd of November.

Blacklight: Tango Down Wiki:

Blacklight: Tango Down is an online multiplayer first-person shooter with an experience system. The game contains traditional modes such Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and Control Point, with other modes being announced in the build up to launch. The game makes use of its near-future setting by offering HRV (Hyper Reality Visor) that allow players to see through walls, and digi-grenades that counter other players' visors.

The game features an experience system lets the player rank up through 70 levels. Weapon customizations will unlock as the player gains skill and experience points and will include more basic add-ons like sniper scopes as well as more complex enhancements, such as stocks, barrels, muzzles, magazines, weapon tags, etc.

Blacklight: Tango Down is available on PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 for 15USD.

---

Game Modes:

Deathmatch / Team Deathmatch / Domination / Last Man Standing / Team LMS / Retrieval / Black Ops Co-op

---

Reviews:

PSN Stores - 4/5
PS3Vault - 8/10
TheSixthAxis - 8/10
IGN - 8.0
Classic Game Room
Xbox Addict - 85/100
Strategy Informer - 8.0
Gamespot - 7.5

---

Map Schematics:

---

Screenshots:

Blacklight-Tango-Down.jpg

e3-2010-blacklight-tango-down-screens-20100616091759637_640w.jpg

blacklight-tango-down-20100513114302078_640w.jpg

BLTD-HRV-Mode-5-660x396.jpg

---

Assorted Links:

Facebook Fanpage
Twitter
Ignition Blacklight Official Forums

---

Personal Anecdote - Have been really surprised and enthralled with the game since it dropped last week. Seems to be the week for it on PSN, too, with this and Malicious being great value for money. I can see it being very easy to dismiss Blacklight, especially with some early lag, tardy matchmaking and hitching issues, but Zombie are on the case and working all kinks and issues out as this OT goes up. Note that such issues don't affect all that many games, and I've found myself enjoying buttery-smooth performance and connection on PS3.

If you're in the market for a slightly different shooter, this is a good choice. It's got a snappy pace, fantastic maps (Shadow Market, Curfew and Floodgate are my favourites at the moment) and terrific gun customisation with component swapping and weapon tag buffs. Big thumbs up.

Please keep the snark to a few posts if you're going to troll. At least, if you're a detractor, go ahead and stoke the discussion by laying down your grievances in detail. There's at least one person here who's interested to see what didn't work for some, yet somehow works for him.

They added drop-in multiplayer, Faceless, so no more waiting around. Granted, there's still work to be done, but Zombie say they're on the case.

Also, any issues and connection problems had over the last week for PSN users was alleged to have been server overload. Guess they weren't expecting the interest. A good sign, I suppose. It all seems ironed out now.

Game's great, just for the fact that you can throw a bomb that causes a bluescreen of death and also you can get a teabag that you hang on your gun for teabagging enemies.

It's always dead on the PC though. 360 version is pretty active.

No join in progress really hurt the live versions of this game, you would start a round 6 on 6 yet finish like 3 on 1 because people bail out after a few deaths, it's one of the most annoying things in any fps game ever. Quite awesome that the ps3 version has the ability now it should help tons.

Dabanton

The Faceless Master said:
did they improve anything from the poorly received 360 version?

I could never get a game in the 360 version kept kicking me back to the start screen so i just gave up on it.

Does anyone know if this version will give you the 60min tryout period?

The PSN version has a twenty minute trial, IIRC. Although, even if you've only a minute left and jump into a game, it allows you to finish the match.

Had some really great games last night. Not that I'm shocked - considering Gerritzen's credited work on the FEAR games etc., which it kinda feels like in some small way - but damn the maps are good.

Anyway, nice to hear folks have enjoyed it on whatever platform.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Faceless Master said:
did they improve anything from the poorly received 360 version?

NOPE.AVI

If only they fixed the aim/stick speed. :(

Mooreberg

Dabanton said:
Does anyone know if this version will give you the 60min tryout period?

20 mins :lol

I used a code that Mangod gave out on Twitter which just prompted a demo download. Matchmaking is very slow, but that could have to do with not a lot people owning it yet.

TheSeks said:
NOPE.AVI

If only they fixed the aim/stick speed. :(

I was wondering when you were going to pop up, Seks. :lol

But you're indeed representative of a lot of people - the stick sensitivity is not to some people's liking, and the ability to tweak it alleged to not be refined enough. I dunno, it feels so good for me, but it's a complaint even on the forums.

I dunno, I played MW2 a few weeks back for the first time (LTTP, I know!) and it didn't really float my boat after an afternoon...but the game pace/speed coupled with a bit of a different style of play in Blacklight resonated.

Danne-Danger said:
Looks interesting but... the PC version, does it have a server browser, dedicated servers and all that jazz?

Sadly, no browser or dedicated servers in the original release. However, Zombie have stated they're looking at patching in these options. It really is a big oversight, though. I could see PC gamers throwing this away simply due to that fact.

I haven't experienced the PC version, but I hear the final nail in the coffin for that platform is...it uses GFWL. Eek, apparently!

duckroll

There are 14 posts in this thread, and half of them belong to the guy who started the thread. He has also double posted twice obviously in an attempt to bump the thread when there are no replies. Isn't this.... weird? :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
duckroll said:
There are 14 posts in this thread, and half of them belong to the guy who started the thread. He has also double posted twice obviously in an attempt to bump the thread when there are no replies. Isn't this.... weird? :lol
Why

duckroll said:

Yeah, if his name was red and spelled Duckroll you'd think this was a Solarobo thread

Edit: I downloaded the demo but haven't tried it yet. Grenades give people a BSOD? Nice. I remember liking the giantbomb quicklook back when the 360 version came out

duckroll

HamPster PamPster said:
Yeah, if his name was red and spelled Duckroll you'd think this was a Solarobo thread

I don't create official threads for games I know no one wants to discuss though! :lol

DoomGyver

I was excited for the game at e3 but after downloading the 20 minute trial first thing I noticed was odd lag (choppy) at random points. People camping at choke points for easy kills, and a long ass time to get into a game. Isn't as polished as I expected it to be either. What really kept me from biting was the psn delay, especially since black ops comes out next week.

duckroll said:
I don't create official threads for games I know no one wants to discuss though! :lol

Fair enough. I've just been really keen on the game for a long time, and after it got delayed on PSN, the buzz died down. Now it's available, the online community on PSN is just firing up.

Then again, what can you expect from a guy who championed Section 8 and it's upcoming sequel? :lol

No big franchise needs the help.

Pylon_Trooper said:
go ahead and stoke the discussion by laying down your grievances in detail.
the smaller maps are terrible for spawn camping /stoke

really liked the game on PC though, it's just the standard smaller multiplayer shooter problem with no one playing it. seriously there is more people playing farcry2 (actually quite a few haha) or fear2 multiplayer at any given time

Gawd, now I fear every time I comment in here I'll be under the derisive microscope!

Anyway, I can see those issues with spawn encroaching on smaller maps...Brutalism especially, but it doesn't take much to punch through a blockade - especially with the EMP grenades. A few guys hurling those towards attackers will turn aggressors into blind and flailing targets and give the defenders time to break out.

It's also a game where those digital noise/smoke grenades are incredibly useful.

Back on the xbl demo in the china map I think it was it was soooo abusive to spawncamp the enemy, you could see their spawn fromhalf a map away and there was one ledge up high which only has 2 ways up, long as you keep your eyes open you were a real bitch to kill :lol

I think that's why I enjoyed the trial hour while everyone else quit, but then it was a legit tactic, it wasn't OOB and it was just on top of a building everyone had access too. Spawn camping was rather strong on all maps.

Pylon_Trooper said:
Sadly, no browser or dedicated servers in the original release. However, Zombie have stated they're looking at patching in these options. It really is a big oversight, though. I could see PC gamers throwing this away simply due to that fact.

I haven't experienced the PC version, but I hear the final nail in the coffin for that platform is...it uses GFWL. Eek, apparently!
Well that saves me some trouble and this thread gets another bump.

Everybody wins.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
duckroll said:

You have to give Pylon props, he attempts to get GAF to love these shitty/niche games, but no one converts. :/

I still love you, Pylon. <3

Pylon said:
I was wondering when you were going to pop up, Seks.

I have to pop up every time Blacklight is mentioned. It's so... "what the fuck is wrong with you!?" everytime I play it. I like the idea and concept, but the spawn camping, stick sensitivity, etc. all bring the game down.

Playing the PS3 demo from the dismal 360 version just showed they didn't improve ANYTHING that was wrong with the game (and why should they? They're busy on the sequel they announced a week after the XBLA launch!), like... six months after the XBLA release. It's just sad and disappointing.

I still love you, too, Seks! :lol You're the chaingun curmudgeon of GAF. Such a high rate of fire when it comes to disappointment and revulsion towards the industry and products!

I gotta say, the player population on PS3 is actually really high. Sure, there's the honeymoon period, but interestingly enough, a lot of MAG players are taking to it - if my conversing on the Blacklight FB page is something to go by.

Had an awesome TDM last night on Pit Fall...neck and neck the entire game, with the timer running out to leave a score of 94-93 in our favour.

So, spent a bit of time with this last night, and I quite like it!

It looks pretty nice for a downloadable game, and runs well. There's some issues with LAG but hopefully a patch will iron out the kinks.

But the guns feel satisfying, especially once you get a few upgrades. The maps are pretty well designed, the visor thing is useful, the confusion grenades are interesting and battles can be pretty heated.

Despite the obvious infulence from other shooters, I think this game has a unique flavour. Unlike so many shooters these days it doesn't feel too bloated- it's all fairly simple and straightforward reminding me of simpler times.

Now I have a strong drive to unlock more upgrades for my weapons and set about fashioning my ultimate killing tools.

sk3tch

Is there any community left in this game? I love online shooters...but my fear is no one is playing this...anyone out there?

Emitan

I couldn't get into matches in this game a month after release. Which is a shame because it was fun, even if it was just CoD4 with x-ray vision.

Top Bottom