• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - VOTING CONCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.
1- Heavy Rain ; Very lovely cinematic experience that no other game done the same this entire generation IMHO.

2- God of War 3 ; Epic fitting for the trilogy's ending... has one of the best opening to any game ever.

3- Final Fantasy 13 ; Even tough the game failed as a Final Fantasy Game and also as an RPG... but as a game it was decent enough .

4- Castlevania Lords of Shadow ; The best level design and art direction of the year... oh god how this game surprised me with the amazing value it had!

5- Enslaved ; The Gameplay was a huge step in the right direction for NT team... also the game itself was a good experience that i enjoyed myself.

6- Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; Another sequel and another amazing game that worth the AC name in the quality .

7- Fallout New Vegas ; Very addicted game and I find it more fun than Fallout 3 which i already love.

8- Bayonetta ; This is how an action game is supposed to be this generation... just CRAZY.

9- Bioshock 2 ; Fantastic adventure and beautiful design.

10- Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands ; The Platforming here is the best Platform I had in this year IMO.. controlling the water element is really smart.

Edit: Added Castlevania :)

Mr. Sam

It's been a really great year, though I haven't played nearly as many games as in previous years.

1. Halo: Reach; There's not an aspect of this game I didn't like. No, there's not an aspect of this game I didn't adore. Well, maybe armour lock. There's no game this year that has brought me this amount of unbridled joy.
2. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
3. Heavy Rain
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. God of War 3
6. Call of Duty: Black Ops

orion434

1. Darksiders
2. Alan Wake
3. Lost Planet 2
4. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
5. Vanquish
6. Resonance of Fate
7. Bayonetta
8. Bioshock 2
9. BlazBlue: Continum Shift
10. Dead Rising 2

Honorable Mention:

X: Deathsmiles
X: Record of Agarest War

1. God of War III
2. 3D Dot Game Heroes
3. Heavy Rain
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. Darksiders
6. Game Dev Story
7. Split/Second
8. Final Fantasy XIII
9. White Knight Chronicles
10. Yakuza 3

GlamFM

Banned
1. Mass Effect 2
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Alan Wake
4. Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
5. Call of Duty: Black Ops
6. Costume Quest
7. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Nyx

1. Heavy Rain ; Finished it in 5 weeknights which says enough as I hardly finish games, captured my attention from the first moment and didn't let go till the end.
2. Starcraft 2 ; Most anticipated game ever, and no dissapointment, MP fun for years to come.
3. NFS Hot Pursuit ; An arcade racer that brought me back the good old vibe of Burnout 2.
4. Super Street Fighter 4
5. God of War 3
6. Mass Effect 2
7. Football Manager 2011
8. Battlefield Bad Company 2
9. Modnation Racers
10. Pro Evolution Soccer 2011

Biggest dissapointment : Red Dead Redemption
For me the open world gameplay just didn't work in a big empty western world, especially when the missions got old very fast.

Lince

Banned
1. Demon's Souls
2. Heavy Rain
3. Final Fantasy 13
4. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
5. MAG
6. God of War 3
7. Super Street Fighter 4
8. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
9. Dead Nation
10. Halo: Reach

Biggest dissapointments : Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2

I have a huge backlog though... including popular games such as Bayonetta, Alan Wake or Castlevania, a lot of PSP/DS and PC games and many, many more (I blame the "Cheap Arse Gaffer (Euro Gaming)" thread)

savor100

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. BioShock 2
3. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
4. Gran Turismo 5
5. Donkey Kong Country Returns
6. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
7. FIFA 11
8. Heavy Rain
9. Kirby's Epic Yarn
10. Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Snowman

1. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Halo: Reach
4. Limbo
5. Sonic the Hedgehog 4
6. Fable 3
7. Super Meat Boy
8. Shank
9. Sonic Colors
10. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

1. Bayonetta
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
4. Vanquish
5. Pinball FX2
6. Deadly Premonition
7. Super Meat Boy
8. Metro 2033
9. Bioshock 2
10. Mafia 2

1. Heroes of Newerth 2.0 ; The best representation of the awesomeness of smash bros. multiplayer on PC, or anywhere, that I've played.
2. Metroid: Other M ; Some of the newest gameplay I've tried in all my years as a gamer. One of the more true forms of risk taking in the industry today.
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Enough said.
4. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies ; It's a shame SQENX is losing their touch though.
5. Amnesia: The Dark Descent ; forgot to add this one. Excellent game of what I saw, it might have ranked higher if only it had run properly on my PC.

Corto

Timetokill, just to remember you to add "Cladun: This is an RPG" and "Desktop Dungeons" to the nominated games list. ;)

1. Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty; In terms of sheer time spent entertaining me I can't think of another game that has come close aside from Call of Duty 4 and WoW. With broadcasted tournaments, watching Day9 to improve my game, comp stomps with friends and laddering, I have dedicated so much time to this game. The multiplayer is so satisfying when a build comes off perfectly or you micro your way through a battle you shouldnt have won, and beating your opponent actually makes you feel like you accomplished something and outsmarted your opponent, a feeling that is basically nonexistant for me when playing halo or call of duty, my other typical go to multiplayer games. Hands down, best game of the year for me. Not even a close competition.
2. Fallout: New Vegas; An awesome single player experience with so much content. The desert was a little bland at times and the cities left a little to be desired, but there was just so much stuff to do that it didnt matter. Having the factions play off against each other and actually causing the balance of power to shift in the region was pretty frigging rad.
3. Call of Duty: Black Ops; Multiplayer shooter extraordinaire. Yes, it's still call of duty, but god damn is it ever good. The tweaks to the killstreak system so they dont chain, modifying the perks to "solve" noobtube whoring and other problems from MW2 means this game will have a long lifetime with me.
4. Mount & Blade: Warband; An absolute blast in multiplayer and hard as hell to get timing down for things like shooting arrows while leading a target, or couching your lance properly to run someone through while charging them down. But every kill is super satisfying and the gameplay is solid. Great game.
5. Infinity Blade; An excellent game to pick up and play, fights can finish as quickly as a minute or two and a full playthrough can be finished in half an hour or so once you get the hang of the game. Controls are very responsive, graphics are unbelievable for a portable device, and the back and forth sword fighting is really cool. It gets a little easy once you figure out how to read the opponents attacks and get the timings down, but its still good fun to go through a couple times and to just use to burn ten or fifteen minutes.
6. Amnesia: the Dark Descent; If you want survival horror, this game is exactly what you have been looking for. The atmosphere is unbelievable, the sound design is excellent and the fact that you can't actually fight anything and instead have to rely on stealth and escaping from enemies makes it play completely differently from other survival horror games. Not to mention the fact that darkness will actually make you go insane, so sneaking around to escape enemies really doesn't make things any easier. Being completely helpless to defend yourself is something of a novelty and this game is absolutely nerve wracking. Cannot recommend it enough.
7. Halo: Reach; The campaign was a blast, and the online coop is great fun with friends. Multiplayer changed up quite a bit with the armor abilities and really added some extra dynamics in terms of mobility, sprinting and jet packs allowing a freedom of movement that Halo was in desperate need of, in my opinion anyway. Love the support from Bungie as always, playlist tweaks, community enabling stuff like videos and forgeworld, etc. Just a solid package all around.
8. Bioshock 2; A decent effort in the Bioshock universe. Had a lot of fun with it but it just didnt have the same impact on me that the first one did.
9. Mass Effect 2; It was ok, just not as good as the first one. Yes, the combat seemed to flowbetter, and there was no god awful driving around in the Mako. But in terms of characters and their skills, there was a lot of overlap and unnecessary guys. Instead of giving me 3 snipers, give me an extra skill point each time I level up and combine them into one character. I didnt really need Thane or Legion and would have been quite happy with just Garrus and some extra skillpoints. Similarly with the like 5 or 6 biotics you end up with, its just pointless. Likewise with character missions, getting their loyalty and upgrading the ship was stuff that could have been ironed out a bit to make things smoother. It just seemed like every time it was "Ok, got a new character. Lets upgrade the ship and then see what shit they want me to do for them". I would have preferred a tighter knit crew of 5 or so guys like in the first game, and had each of them have a proper story arc with a handful of missions instead of just one task from each of them. Still, pretty solid, just not quite as good as I had hoped for.
10. Geometry Wars: Touch; An iPhone port of Geometry Wars 2 with an extra game mode, this is everything the xbla title offered back in 2008 but on the go. Controls take some getting used to and you are breaking up the screen real estate with your fingers which can make it a bit difficult, but this game is just as addictive as ever and still so, so good.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Goldeneye 007
3. Metroid: Other M
4. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
5. Starcraft 2
6. Heroes of Newerth
7. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
8. Just Dance 2
9. Mass Effect 2
10. League of Legends

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
1. Heavy Rain ; Something I experienced once and will never touch again.
2. God of War 3 ; Epic, but not as good as GOW2.
3. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 ; Campaign was decent. Multiplayer is always fun with a group of friends. "Free" map packs were a joke.
4. Red Dead Redemption ; Love the setting, characters. Like with most Rockstar games though, I lost interest near the end.
5. Vanquish ; whoa.
6. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow ; Great game that suffers due to tech. If this running at a stable framerate it would be higher.
7. Dead Nation ; Frenetic pace, unforgiving. Major fun. Replayability is hurt by some bizarre developer decisions.
8. Mass Effect 2 ; Disappointed after all the hype it gets. I enjoyed it much more than ME1. The controls, while better, are still pretty awful.
9. Call of Duty: Black Ops ; This game plays much better with the auto-aim turned off.
10. Halo: Reach ; What can I say? I'm not a huge fan of Halo's gameplay. I enjoyed it though.

No real standout this year.

Backlog: Dead Rising 2, Enslaved, Singularity, Metro 2033, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

1. Mass Effect 2 ; Was an amazing ride from start to finish. I was all for more action and less RPG elements. Can't wait for the conclusion of the trilogy next year.

2. Halo: Reach
; The enhancements to the visuals accompanied with the fantastic gameplay and story made this my second favorite Halo game.

3. Red Dead Redemption ; There was a 6 month gap in between play sessions but I finished this one up on New Years Eve. Great game, pretty good story, and an amazing world to play in.

4. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; I was surprised, like most, how extensive the story mode was. Got my monies worth and haven't even played the multiplayer yet!

5. Heavy Rain ; This game was on my radar since it was announced. I was one of the few that loved Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit). The story was good, the different paths made the game worth playing through more than once, and I was glued to my DS3 until I finished.

6. Alan Wake
; I love me some Max Payne, so how could I not be hyped for AW? Again, this is one of the few games I could not put down. I just kept playing and playing to see what happened next. The story was intriguing and there were plenty of action to keep my heart pounding.

7. BioShock 2 ; I am afraid many brushed this one off because it was not made by Irrational. Was it as good as BS1? No. But, I enjoyed going back to Rapture and learning more about what happened to the Utopian city.

8. Just Cause 2 ; Skydiving. Grapple. Jets. Explosions.

9. NBA 2K11 ; Best basketball game ever made.

10. Deadly Premonition
; I just stared this last week and like it for all of the wrong reasons. The writing is horrible, the acting is atrocious, and the gameplay sucks. But I have been laughing my ass off the whole way with this one. Watching the Giantbomb endurance runs has helped with the enjoyment as well too.

Wazzim

Banned
1. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd ; It's Monster Hunter, great improvements like 2 cats, better animations and controls without destroying the formula.
2. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
3. Gran Turismo 5
4. Persona 3 Portable
5. Final Fantasy 13
6. Alan Wake
7. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
8. Valkyria Chronicles 2
9. Halo: Reach
10. Lost Planet 2

1. Bayonetta; in your face action game of the year, loved the Japanese cheese and design... fly me to the moon

2. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light; the unexpected surprise of 2010 IMO, fun gameplay, fun puzzles, co-op, I want more DD games like this!

3. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX; when you start having fun within the first 10 seconds after pressing start, then you know you got a fun game on your hands. We need more of these

4. Afterburner Climax; I love arcade games onto my HDD and i love Afterburner. Sega arcade funness

5. Vanquish; PlatinumGames does it again, another straight up action game by the father of the God Hand. Overheat!

6. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game; 8-bit graphics, chiptunes, awesome license to make a Riverscity Ransom styled beat'em up. A true DD gem

7. God of War: Ghost of Sparta; pushing near PS2 AAA levels onto the PSP with good pacing, but the final chapter was kind of snooze though

8. God of War 3; not as great as GOW2 and GOW1 but still good game overall but not up to the stuff of the PS2 games. The darkness, lack of epic vistas and strange pacing keeps it here at #8

9. Super Street Fighter 4; a good improvement over SF4 vanilla but not still not enough to fix the major gripes I have with the SF4 series, but still fun in local play with friend none the less

10. Sports Champions; nice intro to PS Move and good for playing with the girlfriend, am a Bocce master now!

twdnewh_k

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; The closest thing to a perfect game I felt I have ever played.
2. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty ; When I'm not playing Starcraft 2 I'm watching Starcraft 2
3. Mass Effect 2 ; Came in with high expectations, game delivered and then some
4. Bayonetta ; WOW - Set a new standard for action adventure games, fast and stylish
5. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker ; I'm a huge MGS fan, there is still love after MGS4
6. God of War 3 ; Not as good as I hoped but still fantastic
7. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light ; My surprise of the year, great level design.
8. Vanquish ; So fast, so action packed, what an adrenaline rush
9. Super Street Fighter 4 ; The only fighting game I still play, loved the new additions
10. Yakuza 3 ; This one surprised me, Kaz is such a beast, loved the character

Jb

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. God of War 3
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
5. Heavy Rain
6. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
7. Starcraft 2
8. Halo: Reach
9. Super Meat Boy
10. Persona 3 Portable

Biggest disappointments: Mafia 2, Alan Wake, Limbo, GT5, Black Ops.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
1. Heavy Rain ; Because this game showed me that I can feel for the characters and especially my decisions. Great atmosphere and structure easily overcomes the negatives.
2. Demon's Souls (PAL) ; THE game for anyone interested in hack and slash and thinking your way through the enemies. Grind will reward you in the end. Not as tough as people clame it to be.
3. Mass Effect 2 ; Improvement over the 1 in various ways, but also a step back in some. Great movie-like quality inspires the gamer.
4. Gran Turismo 5 ; The sensation of driving fast is captured really well and the need to collect is ever present. Even with it's flaws this is a masterpiece.
5. Red Dead Redemption ; Morricone tunes in a distilled game form. Slow to start but once the game starts rolling, there is no stopping it.
6. Alpha Protocol ; Hidden gem that every review did not like. Controls hinder your actions and some minor bugs are present, but otherwise it is a solid game. Deserves more plays from all of you.
7. Bayonetta ; Crazy haired woman, sexist attitude, bouncing missiles with the enemy. What more can you ask for?
8. Sports Champions ; Party gaming is back with the new controller and this is what makes Move fun. Disc golf with beer until the morning sun rises. What better time can you have with friends together under the same roof.
9. Lost Planet 2 ; Plot is crap, difficulty curve is through the roof, but it still offers the nicest co-op experience with good bosses and inventive fight scenarios.
10. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 ; Showed CoD what multiplayer should be like. Destroy everything, have better MP goals. After this, a game that does not feature a chance to blow walls off seems a bit dated.

Otacon

gutter_trash said:
01- Bayonetta (in your face action game of the year, loved the Japanese cheese and design... fly me to the moon)

02- Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (the unexpected surprise of 2010 IMO, fun gameplay, fun puzzles, co-op, I want more DD games like this!)

03- Pac-Man Championship Edition DX (when you start having fun within the first 10 seconds after pressing start, then you know you got a fun game on your hands. We need more of these)

04- Afterburner Climax (I love arcade games onto my HDD and i love Afterburner. Sega arcade funness)

05- Vanquish (PlatinumGames does it again, another straight up action game by the father of the God Hand. Overheat!)

06- Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game (8-bit graphics, chiptunes, awesome license to make a Riverscity Ransom styled beat'em up. A true DD gem)

07- God of War: Ghost of Sparta (pushing near PS2 AAA levels onto the PSP with good pacing, but the final chapter was kind of snooze though)

08- God of War 3 (not as great as GOW2 and GOW1 but still good game overall but not up to the stuff of the PS2 games. The darkness, lack of epic vistas and strange pacing keeps it here at #8))

09- Super Street Fighter 4 (a great imrpovedment over SF4 vanilla but not still not enough to fix the major gripes I have with the SF4 series, but still fun in local play with friend none the less)

10- Sports Champions (nice intro to PS Move and good for playing with the girlfriend, am a Bocce master now!)

you might want to read the OP regarding the structure of your list ;)

-NeoTB1-

1. Mass Effect 2 ; I can't remember the last time a developer changed a game in so many little ways, yet still made it as enjoyable as its predecessor. ME2 was my personal GOTY. Bioware is still King of WRPGs.
2. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm ; PC gaming is not dead, and this is a prime example why. WoW is a juggernaut unlike anything else. Cataclysm "reinvents the wheel", so to speak, and the sweeping changes have brought new life to Azeroth. Oh, and the 10mil+ worldwide monthly subscribers isn't bad either.
3. Red Dead Redemption ; I have a very love/hate relationship with Rockstar, but this game was incredible. Take a genre that needs more attention in the video game medium, and sprinkle it with some of the formula that has made its other games such a success over the years. Brilliant.
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; This is one of those few games that makes it worth owning a Wii. This franchise has made very few misses over the years. This is not one of them.
5. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; Best game in the series to date? AC2 gives it a good fight, but in the end we ALL win. Great third entry in the series.
6. Halo: Reach ; I'll admit it, I'm not a fan of the power ups. I liked Halo 3 leaps and bounds more than Reach. Still, I find this game on my top 10 list for one reason: it's one of the best MP games around. I have had more fun playing this with friends than any other game in recent memory. Keep up the MP goodness, Bungie.
7. Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing ; Best kart racer ever
behind Mario Kart
. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic. Maybe I just like the cheezy sounds and music. But damn did I have fun playing this game. Please make more of these!
8. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies ; I was skeptical about this series transition to a handheld device, but any doubts I had were quickly erased. This was a charming and fun game from beginning to end.
9. Deathsmiles ; This is actually one of the more amusing bullet hell games I've played in years. I don't think it's the best in the genre or anything, but it deserves its spot on this list. Great game to pick up when you're bored and/or need to let off a little steam.
10. Lego Harry Potter: Years 1–4 ; The Lego games are awesome. This is my favorite one, next to Star Wars. Sure, I enjoy the movies, so that probably clouds my judgment a little with the game. Still, these games are pure fun to play - and they are family friendly to boot!

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
roxya said:
I know the rule is in the OP, but it seems silly. Final Fantasy XIII is the proper name. Look at the box art -_-

I 'fixed' it anyway.

Not my rules, man.

Here's an updated list to page 6 (100 posts per page):

PLEASE POST IN THIS THREAD OR TELL ME IF YOU FIX YOUR POST. This makes it less work for me.

Page 1

Trevelyon (not sure if .) is okay after numbering)
entrement (don't use abreviations for names)
nelsonroyale (use a semi-colons before comments not a dash)
Suzzopher (no Roman numerals)
chubigans (no Roman numerals)
Heavy's Sandvich (no Roman numerals)
GraveRobberX (honorable mentions need x. in front of them)

Page 2

Lagspike_exe (not sure if parentheses are okay instead of periods after the numbers)
Mooreberg (no Roman numerals and not sure if 0s in front of the numbers is okay)
Sgt.Pepper (check the second post in the thread)
bluedeviltron (check the second post in this thread)
Chriswok (use a semi-colons before comments not a dash)
ezekial45 (just get rid of the colon after Creed)
CozMick (use a semi-colons before comments not a dash)
shahkur (check the second post in the thread and use a semi-colons before comments not a dash)
revolverjgw (check the second post in the thread)
tass0 (no Roman numerals)
SpokkX (check the second post in the thread)
GeoramA (check the second post in the thread and no Roman numerals)
Sadist (use a semi-colon before comments and no Roman numerals)
REV 09 (honorable mentions need x. in front of them)
KAOS (no Roman numerals and check the second post in the thread)

Page 3

riceandbeans (use a semi-colons before comments not a dash honorable mentions need x. in front of them)
Rated-Rsuperstar (honorable mentions need x. in front of them)
hxa155 (no Roman numerals)
Blue Ninja (not sure if parentheses are okay instead of periods after the numbers, use a semi-colon before comments, check the second post in the thread and no Roman numerals)
ep85 (not sure if 0s in front of the numbers is okay)
Leviathin25 (Not sure if .) is okay after numbering)
Anth0ny (use a semi-colon before comments)

Page 4

ULTROS! (no Roman numerals)
Gigglepoo (no Roman numerals)
distantmantra (no Roman numerals)
Momo (check the second post in the thread)
Broman1978 (not sure if dashes are okay instead of periods after the numbers and check the second post in the thread)
ChocolateCupcakes (no Roman numerals)
KoruptData (don't use abreviations for names)
Le-mo (no Roman numerals)

Page 5

gdt5016 (check the second post in the thread)
Helmholtz (no Roman numerals and use a semi-colon before comments)
Darknessbear (just get rid of the colon after Creed)
BruceLeeRoy (check the second post in the thread)
Mully (check the second post in the thread)
Sevket-Erhat (no Roman numerals and check the second post in the thread)
Coolio McAwesome (check the second post in the thread)
jarosh (I don't think Assassin's Creed 2 will count)
rexor0717 (check the second post in the thread)
plasmasd (just get rid of the colon after Creed)
marc^o^ (use a semi-colon before comments and anything in parenthesis will be ignored)
Roxas (use a semi-colon before comments)
Nuclear Muffin (check the second post in the thread)
Goldmund (no Roman numerals)
Woutst (no Roman numerals)
UnluckyKate (use a semi-colon before comments, check the second post in the thread and honorable mentions need x. in front of them)
-viper- (check the second post in the thread)
d1rtn4p (just get rid of the colon after Creed)
Darkman M (no Roman numerals and I don't think Assassin's Creed 2 will count)
demon arm (check the second post in the thread)
Sir Garbageman (check the second post in the thread)
hamchan (check the second post in the thread)

Page 6

Fallout-NL (don't use abreviations for names)
The Praiseworthy (use a semi-colon before comments and not sure if a dash is okay after the numbers)
Katana_Strikes (no Roman numerals)
TheKingsCrown (no Roman numerals)
alr1ghtstart (use a semi-colon before comments)
Jay-B (check the second post in the thread)
Danny-Boy (use a semi-colon before comments)
Sanchito (just get rid of the colon after Creed)
BobsRevenge (use a semi-colon before comments)
paskowitz (use a semi-colon before comments and honorable mentions need x. in front of them)
BlazingDarkness (no Roman numerals)
djtiesto (check the second post in the thread)
adversesolutions (I'd say get rid of the pictures, but I like your post. I would ask timetokill)
TeethMummy (not sure if parentheses are okay instead of periods after the numbers)
JustAnotherOtaku (honorable mentions need x. in front of them)
Sallokin (honorable mentions need x. in front of them)
The Antitype (not sure if 0s in front of the numbers is okay, honorable mentions need x. in front of them and check the second post in the thread)
Alex (check the second post in the thread)
seat (no Roman numerals)
ArjanN (honorable mentions need x. in front of them)

Underlined bluedeviltron since I missed something he should fix. I hope timetokill or cheesmiester point out any errors on my part.

dejan

1. Mass Effect 2 ; The best game I've played in the past decade and BioWare's best game to date. An almost perfect hybrid of a third person shooter and an rpg with some of the most memorable characters and art direction in recent video game history.

Boney

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
10. Valkyria Chronicles 2 ; It's difficult to actually say that this game deserves to be in this list, because anything that's actually fun about it is stuff it inherited from the first installment. It takes a lot of backwards steps from the prequel and it definitely leaves a lot to be desired -not because of the platform choice, mind you (I thought going portable was great), but because of design decisions like the credit system that are not fun and the plot that somehow became more laughable than before. Whatever seems to be the case, the fundamentals of the series are still very serviceable, and elevate VCII to be higher than it should be on its own merits.

x. Metroid: Other M ; for being a piece of shit that did everything wrong at every single step.
We can't be friends any more Alfredo.

Danny-Boy

1.God of War 3 ; The whole game was epic from start to finish.
2.Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Mario and platforming at it's best.
3.Heavy Rain ; The story had me hooked from start to finish.
4.Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; Love the series. It just got better with this edition.
5.Fallout: New Vegas ; Felt like a big expansion pack, still enjoyed it though.
6.Call of Duty: Black Ops ; Only for the Multi-player. SP campaign was crap.
7.Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker ; Kojima at his best on a handheld.
8.God of War: Ghost of Sparta ; Not as epic as the console versions.
9.Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City ; Only for Ballad of Gay Tony.
10.Transformers: War for Cybertron ; Best G1 TF game ever made.

Calion

1. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
2. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
3. God of War 3
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Bayonetta
6. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
7. BioShock 2
8. Heavy Rain

Guevara

Red Dead Redemption; More than any other game I've played this generation, RDR creates a virtual world, and a troupe of believable characters to inhabit that world. From the tension of hunting bears in Tall Trees by moonlight, to fighting with revolutionaries in the sun burnt deserts of Mexico, RDR was the highest quality gaming experience I had this generation. RDR was also the only sandbox game this generation to feature a tight and compelling story with a definitive ending.

Super Mario Galaxy 2; Perhaps technically better that Galaxy (1), the game loses a bit of charm and originality by virtue of being a sequel. Still a great game, just not as compelling as RDR for me.

Crackdown 2; I had a lot of fun with this game. It’s not a “great” game, sometimes it’s not even a good game, but damn if I didn’t spend more time with this than just about any other game on my list. The DLC goes a long way toward making the game better and more fun as well. I really hope Crackdown can continue as a franchise and I’m optimistic that the next entry will be the true sequel to Crackdown (1) we are all hoping for.

Halo: Reach; A fine entry in the series that really shines in multiplayer versus and co-op. I don’t know that I would ever revisit the story missions in single player, but I am sure I’ll play some form of multiplayer for a long time to come.

Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare; I’m glad to see this included on the list of releases eligible for GotY voting. This meaty DLC changes the tone of the game substantially while also providing new, and mostly not-annoying objectives. I would love to see more games come out with DLC that affects the entire world in the way that UN did.

PS: Thanks to timetokill!

1. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns
3. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
4. VVVVVV
5. Super Meat Boy
6. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
7. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
8. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
9. Mega Man 10
10. Minecraft

1. Vanquish
2. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
3. Bayonetta
4. Gran Turismo 5
5. Yakuza 3
6. Mass Effect 2
7. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
8. Final Fantasy 13
9. God Of War 3
10. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Sanchito

1. Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Demon’s Souls
5. Darksiders
6. 3D Dot Game Heroes
7. Costume Quest
8. God of War 3
9. Bayonetta
10. Deadly Premonition

Honorable Mentions:

X. Bioshock 2
X. Alan Wake
X. Singularity
X. Halo: Reach
X. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West; Would have made my top 10 had it not been for the shitty ending.

I am pretty sure Fallout: NV would be up top had to gotten to it.

jarosh

ICallItFutile said:
jarosh (I don't think Assassin's Creed 2 will count)
why should it not count? the pc version, the one i played, was released this year. it's no different from the 2010 vs. 2009 releases of games in different regions.

can one of the goty guys confirm this please? will assassin's creed 2 (windows) count? it came out in march this year.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Civilization 5
3. Heavy Rain
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Dodonpachi Resurrection
6. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
7. Limbo
8. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
9. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
10. Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I didn't play most of the great ones, so this might be hard for me.

1. Mafia 2 - This is the game that gripped me the most this year. It might be my most played single player game outside of Rock Band 3 since Far Cry 2 and Crysis. It is my most played this year certainly (again, outside of Rock Band 3).
2. Rock Band 3 - I play Rock Band all the time. I love hitting fake plastic drums with sticks. The pro-mode has added a TON to the experience for me.
3. Mass Effect 2 - Great experience. This game was just a pleasure to go through, and I loved the characters. Especially Jacob, who gets so much hate. Jacob is my boy.
4. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - Favorite multiplayer of the year, but the SP was shit.
5. Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Scariest game ever, and the most immersive game this year for me.
6. Grand Theft Auto 4: Episodes From Liberty City (PC) - Just great stories, great characters, and fun gameplay. A bit janky as always, but no one does open world like Rock Star.
7. Assassin's Creed 2 (PC) - Still playing through it, but the story is cool. I'm not really enjoying it as much as the first game yet, but it feels like the story is just getting off of the ground now. The first game felt more player driven to me, but this feels like I'm just going from point to point without paying much attention to anything. I'm still having a lot of fun, but the sense of freedom is lost.
8. Alpha Protocol - Janky as fuck, and the gameplay isn't great, but the story and the characters are awesome. Definitely liked how player-driven it felt. The level of choice you're offered is fantastic.
9. Medal of Honor - Probably my favorite SP experience this year, but its too short. The multiplayer is fun, but its still a BC2 mod.
10. Call of Duty: Black Ops - I usually don't like CoD, but this game was awesome. It was fully aware of how retarded it was, and went as far with it as they could. Awesome shit constantly happening for no reason. I liked the story a lot too, and the way its introduced is very innovative. Having the menu being sort of ambiguous at first, and then you look down and see you're strapped in. You haven't even started the game yet. That got me giddy.

paskowitz

1. Heavy Rain: Its not a perfect game, as many games are. Its writing is dodgy, it has some plot holes, stupid moments, and on and on. But more importantly it is a sign of great innovation. No game has taken such an original concept and executed it to the level Quantic Dream did. It is a new genre. And while other games may have more of X or less of Y, none can say that in 2010, they stated a new genre.

2. Mass Effect 2: I actually do not like this game, only because I do not like this type of game. That being said, it stand on its merits extremely well and is perhaps one of the best action RPGs of all time. On paper it is WAY better than HR, but not in my opinion.

3. Battlefield: Bad Company 2: I had COD fever, then I burnt out. BFBC2 has been my cure. Sure its SP is quite honestly crap but its MP is so great that it really almost does not matter. You could sell the MP as the game itself, and it seems they are/have. The BF series has always been the other shooter next to COD but in honesty it should be the other way around.

4. Halo Reach: Just like ME2, I do not like the Halo series, but this one stands out. I have always thought that Halo 1-3-ODST were fun, yet HIGHLY overrated games. Reach takes everything that 1-3-ODST did, did it better, added more, then finished with polish. It is the best Halo game to date, but more importantly is just a great game

5. Gran Turismo 5: This game could have been easily been number one since I have a HUGE bias towards the GT series and have been playing it since it came out. I am more of a hardcore fan so the vastly improved physics carry me past the myriad of other problems, some minor other more unsightly. That being said racing against 15 other cars on the 24hr circuit of the Nurburing in the same car the creator of the game did in real life is an amazing experience that has not been rivaled by any other game this year. Still, 1 experience does not make you number 1.

6. God of War 3: Easily, the best looking game this year. In fact, the best looking current gen game (minus PC). Easily, the best playing GOW in the series and easily one of the best hack n' slasher in a long time. It was like the best 10 minutes of sex you have every had, except that truth be told 10 minutes just does not do it for some people. Still GOTY worthy.

7. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker: If only this game was on the PS3. Just because this game is on the PSP, I do not give it any special treatment. The PSP is a deeply flawed platform for experiencing games. As a result MGS:pW is held back by it. This being said it is the best PSP game of all time and next to MGS3 the best MGS of all time. I do feel that some of the gameplay mechanics were a little amiss with the story though.

8. Red Dead Redemption: I have only played this game very briefly, and what I have played was fun, but in all honesty just not my type of game. But like ME2 and Reach I must judge it on its merits.

9. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty: I believe in LAN. This is the only reason it does not rank higher.

10. Call of Duty: Black Ops: I really hate this game. Its so bad on so many levels. I even feel MW2 in its current state is better not to mention a million year old game called COD4. That being said, I love Zombies and it seems its novelty has not worn off. The MP is also slightly more balanced.

Honorable Mention 1: MGS4. Still my Game of the Forever :D
Honorable Mention 2: Ass Creed Bro Hood: I heard it was good.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
bluedeviltron said:
Mine's fixed.

Sorry, I also should have said to check the second post in the thread.

jarosh said:
why should it not count? the pc version, the one i played, was released this year. it's no different from the 2010 vs. 2009 releases of games in different regions.

can one of the goty guys confirm this please? will assassin's creed 2 (windows) count? it came out in march this year.

I'm fine with it, but I don't think timetokill will count it based on some of his posts I've seen regarding ports.

LosDaddie

Banned
  1. Halo: Reach
  2. Mass Effect 2
  3. Super Street Fighter 4
  4. Red Dead Redemption
  5. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  6. NBA 2K11
  7. NCAA Football 11
  8. God of War 3

Halo Reach is simply the best FPS on consoles. ME2 is RPG perfected. SSFIV improves on what already was the best fighter of this gen. Sports gaming has never been better with games like NBA 2k11 and NCAA 11 on store shelves.

Another great year for gaming! :D

1. Heavy Rain
2. Nier
3. Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
4. Final Fantasy XIII
5. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
6. Demon's Souls (PAL)
7. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
8. Valkyria Chronicles 2
9. God of War III

Lakitu

st5fu
1. Fallout: New Vegas
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Halo: Reach
5. Heavy Rain
6. Alan Wake
7. Limbo
8. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
9. Vanquish
10. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

jarosh

ICallItFutile said:
Sorry, I also should have said to check the second post in the thread.

I'm fine with it, but I don't think timetokill will count it based on some of his posts I've seen regarding ports.
if true then, excuse me, that's fucking retarded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom