• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - VOTING CONCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricker

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Fallout 3 : New Vegas
3. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
4. Heavy Rain
5. Darksiders
6. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
7. Alan Wake
8. Fable 3
9. Final Fantasy 13
10. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
x. Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
x. Ys: The Oath in Felghana

Please double-check the format of your posts.

The easiest way is to do the following:
- Copy+paste the Sample Ballot in the OP
- Copy+paste your game selections from post #2

Things to keep note of:
Honorable mentions in your list, if you want them counted by the parser (and we ARE tracking honorable mentions), must be listed like this:

x. Game Title (i.e., x. Duck Hunt)

Did you use a roman numeral in your post?
Wrong: Final Fantasy XIII
Correct: Final Fantasy 13

A number of you are formatting your descriptions incorrectly as well. Use a semi-colon (;) after the name of the game and before your description.

Wrong:
1. Duck Hunt - the best game about shooting at ducks ever.

Correct:
1. Duck Hunt ; the best game about shooting at ducks ever.

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Gran Turismo 5
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Bayonetta
5. Fallout: New Vegas
6. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
7. God of War 3
8. Call of Duty: Black Ops
9. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
10. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Amir0x

Banned
timetokill said:

Things to keep note of:
Honorable mentions in your list, if you want them counted by the parser (and we ARE tracking honorable mentions), must be listed like this:

A number of you are formatting your descriptions incorrectly as well. Use a semi-colon (;) after the name of the game and before your description.

Wrong:

Correct:
couldn't you just modify your script to also check for - as well as ;?

On the grand scheme of things it's no effort on anyone's part to just follow the format this closely but on the other hand this + having to go down the list and exactly copy+paste the way you chose to name/spell the game is really making this needlessly complicated for a simple top 10.

Ah well, this will be interesting to see how many votes were not counted properly due to this year's new system.

It's late but here goes:

(Apologies for being laconic for some and long-winded for others)

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Utterly fabulous. Nostalgic yet fresh - something Nintendo might as well trademark. I cannot fathom how people managed to complain about having more of an absolutely astounding platformer.

2. Goldeneye 007 ; I fucking love James Bond, so it was nice to discover that this wasn't simply Call of Bond - it was much, much more. Arguably some of the best levels this generation, with multiple paths and ways to approach your objectives. As an aside - multiple fire modes on weapons is something sorely missing from games this generation.

3. Halo: Reach ; A lot of reviews regarded the single player as nothing more than serviceable, with the real meat being found in the multi-player portion. Not for me - the campaign was utterly fantastic. No other game has been able to portray a living world that you could literally see dying before you so well. When you can just feel the hopelessness permeating the air, that is when the atmosphere is right. No matter what you did, you knew that it was forlorn, but at the same time you felt the faintest possibility that you could change the outcome. It forced the player to face up to some harsh realities that resonate from life itself: we all go some time - some sooner than others..

4. Metroid: Other M ; GAF's fervent Metroid community absolutely hated it but, as far as I'm concerned, Sakamoto achieved his aims. I love the fact that he tried something different, namely, by opting to limit his options by solely using the Wii remote. It's something I think more developers should try ('how can we make a game with a limited budget' might be a good one). The only game this year that I have been to impelled complete twice in a row.

5. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle ; Wins points for being so irreverent and for disgusting my girlfriend when I had to recharge my sword. While it was fun enough as a mindless slasher, if you let it some of the subtext would pass you by. I felt the whole point of having to kill so many people was to drill home the monotony of killing (it was a job after all). In addition, the sense of progression both in-game and character-wise was better than most. By the end you make mincemeat of your enemies, yet at the same time the character you're playing as seems rather jaded, basically tired of the killing. I felt that it paralleled with Suda's feeling of being done with Travis' story arch quite well (more subtextiness). Some very polished mini-games. You turn into a tiger.

6. Just Cause 2 ; This came completely out of left field. I had no hype or expectations when I tried the demo. After a playing the demo a few times, I bought the game on a whim a few days after release. Needless to say, this is the only game that I can recall where you can take out pursuers by sticking them to buildings, or jump out of a helicopter at 30,000 feet only to narrowly regain control of it before it hits the ground. Emergence at its finest. My most memorable moment? Spending $30,000 on a mini-jet and totalling it 3 seconds later..

7. Call of Duty: Black Ops ; Fuck it. I really enjoyed the campaign. The whole brainwashing/alternate history/conspiracy shtick was a break from the 'world war 10' mould in my opinion. Yes, it is still largely mindless, but the way in which it genuinely fucked with the player's head in the game world reminded me of (don't kill me) Bioshock. I get the feeling that if this type of story wasn't in a COD game it would be appreciate a lot more. 'Opinions' nevertheless!

8. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX ; Pac-Man. Customisation. Global leaderboards. We're done here.

9. Super Meat Boy ; I still haven't finished it. Nevertheless, it is a game that is hard without ever being frustrating. The fault always lies with the player, rather than his tools. Character and content that puts retail releases to shame. It's a shame I feel more passionately about other games in this list or this would have been much higher.

10. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow ; It was this close to being absolutely fantastic. It had a decent combat system and some really interesting ideas; however, it didn't quite hit all the right notes. Coming off Jericho, Mercury Steam deserve some credit.

x. Dead Rising 2
x. Deadly Premonition
x. Red Dead Redemption
x. Donkey Kong Country Returns
x. Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light

(Most of these were played after I had voted properly)

timetokill said:

Things to keep note of:

Wrong:

Correct:
Is there anything wrong with my format? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24997486&postcount=249
I had to specify that one of my games was imported and that I played the Wii version of Ivy the Kiwi? instead of the DS version (they're different enough that they should be counted separately imo)

Cheech

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
3. Alan Wake
4. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
5. Civilization 5
6. Fallout: New Vegas
7. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
8. Limbo
9. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
10. Minecraft

Yagharek

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns
3. Starship Defense
4. Vanquish
5. Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor
6. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
7. Goldeneye 007
8. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
9. Cave Story
10. Halo: Reach

daegan

1. Super Street Fighter 4 ; while still imperfect, manages to improve on the game I spent well over a hundred hours on in 2009. And that's remarkable on its own. My biggest problem with this game is that I do not have enough time to devote to it right now, something I plan to rectify next year even though MVC3 is coming out.
2. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game ; I still can't believe I only paid $10 for this. Recalls so many of my best gaming memories. I feel bad for people who don't have friends to play this with. The control in particular is something they nailed: it feels floaty enough to be old-school but responsive enough to be 2010.
3. Persona 3 Portable ; or, Persona 3 for plane rides. Had a lot of reservations about the streamlining but after playing it I found it quite effective.
4. Costume Quest ; still the only game I've ever played without voice acting where I wanted it, and badly, because the dialogue demands to be read aloud. Fantastically simple in its mechanics, yet impressively fun.
5. Game Dev Story ; the only game for my iPod Touch I've bothered to play more than once.
6. Def Jam Rapstar ; the most technically advanced karaoke game (it knows if you've got the words right!) gets the best songlist of a karaoke game and adds in hours of entertainment via other people videoing themselves playing it. You haven't lived until you've seen a family who barely speaks English trying to shout the words to "Brass Monkey". KONAMI and 4mm just need to get the videos full screen next time so we can ditch the silly menu background when it's song time.
7. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; the first game was almost perfect. Somehow, the sequel is every bit as good and in some ways, better. Where does 3D Mario even go from here? How do you improve on this?
8. Final Fantasy 13 ; mediocre storyline meets mind-blowing battle system meets awful character development system. Fortunately, the battles can carry the whole package at least this far.
9. Super Scribblenauts ; it has the Mega 64 guys in it and I can make a polka dot toaster.
10. Monster Hunter 3: Tri ; I'm only just now getting around to this game, but it got its hooks into me fast. Demands patience, and has a few archaic quirks, but rewards awareness like few other games I've played as of late.

I'll note that there's a lot that I wanted to play this year that, again, I just never got the time to.

Would also like to call out Space Invaders Infinity Gene - didn't have an iPod Touch when it came out, got it for PS3 and I'm still loving this game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Super Meat Boy
4. Limbo
5. Donkey Kong Country Returns

Amir0x said:
couldn't you just modify your script to also check for - as well as ;?

On the grand scheme of things it's no effort on anyone's part to just follow the format this closely but on the other hand this + having to go down the list and exactly copy+paste the way you chose to name/spell the game is really making this needlessly complicated for a simple top 10.

Ah well, this will be interesting to see how many votes were not counted properly due to this year's new system.

Originally we had it set as the hyphen -- but due to several games actually using a hyphen in their titles, we switched it out to a semicolon.

I think I mentioned in the OP, but I'll still be going through after the parser does its thing, and I'll be checking the posts where formatting caused a problem and counting them as necessary. I just figured it's easiest to let people just double-check if they can so that as many votes as possible are caught by the parser.

nincompoop said:
Is there anything wrong with my format? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24997486&postcount=249
I had to specify that one of my games was imported and that I played the Wii version of Ivy the Kiwi? instead of the DS version (they're different enough that they should be counted separately imo)

I added Ivy the Kiwi? to the list, but I won't be separating them into two. I also noted that you imported and also the Wii version for the other one, so you can remove those comments.

In general, it would be best for people to just list comments about their games (that it was an import, that they want it added to the list, etc.) in the comments on the game (after the semi-colon).

As an example using yours:

7. A Shadow's Tale (PAL) ; (Import. I'm from the US)
9. Ivy the Kiwi? ; (Wii version)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
1. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty ; A double one-two punch of an amazing single player campaign and the best multiplayer ever made in any genre. This is the best RTS game ever.

2. Mass Effect 2 ; Amazing character development and great gameplay characterizes another amazing entry in the Mass Effect franchise.

3. Vanquish ; Your eyes will bleed from the awesome. Make sure your seat belt is snapped in nice and tight for this exhilarating shooter.

4. Bayonetta ; Balls to the wall awesome. In fact, Bayonetta may actually remove your balls and nail them to said wall. The absolute best gameplay ever found in the genre.

5. BioShock 2 ; Sorely underappreciated. It may lack some of the narrative hooks of the first game, but it's just as good if not better than its predecessor in every other respect.

6. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; A competent sequel to one of the best games ever made. A little more focus on the main story and less on the side missions would have easily made it a GOTY contender on par with its predecessor.

7. Darksiders ; It's not as puzzley as Zelda and it's not as actioney as God of War, but it is a very competant blend of the two styles. A great comic book style. Hope to see more of this franchise in the future.

8. Sonic Colors ; The Sonic Cycle has been broken. We have a legitimately great game here. No bullshit and no strings attached.

9. Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor ; As hardcore as it gets on the Wii. Incredible shooting mechanics and pacing make this a fantastic experience.

10. Super Scribblenauts ; All of the promises of the first game have finally been fulfilled. This is the game that GAF hyped over a year ago. I solved a puzzle with "chocolate bacon".

Jonnyram

1. Nier
2. Persona 3 Portable
3. Heavy Rain
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Tactics Ogre (PSP)
6. Carcassonne (iOS)
7. Chime
8. Infinity Blade
9. Dodonpachi Resurrection (iOS)
10. Ni no Kuni: The Jet Black Mage

zlatko

Banned
1. Starcraft 2 ; What can be said about this game that someone else on Gaf already hasn't? For me I had never played a RTS more than 15 minutes in my entire life, and I had bought Starcraft 2 solely on the hype. I was greeted by a game that is so well thought out in every aspect that even a 100% RTS noobie like myself was having fun with it within minutes. If you have a PC to run it, and still haven't bought it you are insane.

2. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker ; May as well be called Metal Gear Solid 5. It has everything you want from a MGS titled series, and more. It's somewhat ridiculous how much content Kojima and his crew were able to pack into a PSP game. If you are a running fan of the series and missed out on this because it was on PSP you are doing yourself a huge disservice.

3. Heavy Rain ; Many argue it isn't a game, but that's just being far too selective. People had no problems labeling Flower as a game last year, and Heavy Rain let's you do much more than Flower did, so that should end that argument there. While the story is not perfect the overall experience of seeing your consequence blossom over the course of your playtime is phenomenal. You'd be hard pressed to find a game that did anything this innovative this year on consoles.

4. Mass Effect 2 ; A worthy successor to the amazing Mass Effect 1. While a little rough around the edges and cutting a bit too much fat from the RPG experience it still offers the amazing sci-fi fun you found with the first one. Bioware delivered a good game both RPG and 3rd person shooter fans should enjoy.

5. Super Street Fighter 4 ; A substantial upgrade to the refresh of the fighting genre with Street Fighter 4. 10 more characters, new ultras, new stages, overall balance tweaks, and an improved online have kept this game in my 360 longer than anything this year. While it can be a very frustrating game at times as you lose to your 300th laggy Ryu online those moments where you inch out a win over a neck and neck bout with your opponent more than make up for the bad times you could have.

6. Resonance of Fate ; The last chance I was willing to give to one of my favorite developers Tri-Ace. They had been knocking out crap games for far too long, but with Resonance they get the JRPG home-run I had been starving for. Great combat, solid visuals, a likable voice cast, wonderful environment, and an enjoyable story of these 3 characters' lives within this crazy world. With how bad the JRPG line up has been these past few years you def. don't want to miss out on Resonance of Fate which finally gets a LOT right.

7. Call of Duty: Black Ops ; No surprised here. With more sales than anything you can think of in entertainment you'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't own it or at least knows what it is. While the single player was easily my most awful experience with the CoD franchise the online multiplayer more than makes up for it. While shaky at launch on match making and hit detection, the game is now at a very smooth place, but Treyarch is still pumping out updates for the players to stay happy. With more variety than ever in you first person shooter to be played online it becomes really hard not to find a game type that doesn't meet the way you like to play.

8. Halo: Reach ; The last Halo game from Bungie and easily my favorite one too. It struck a lot of right cords with what I like about games as a whole. While the campaign is a bit unmemorable and the cast of characters very one sided too, the come away star is Reach itself. The planet from start to finish reeks of great atmosphere in the level design. The back drops, vistas to take in, stellar use of lighting, the BEST soundtrack in a FPS for me, and a lot more make Reach itself hard to forget. The multiplayer is both a hit and a miss. Perhaps I'm just too used to the game types I can get out of Call of Duty and the faster match making to fully enjoy Halo. By no means should that turn someone off who's been looking to snag this game up this holiday season. There's more than enough content here to rival Black Ops.

9. God of War 3 ; Kratos is back for revenge in this long awaited sequel to the God of War series. Visually jaw dropping, well scripted, and an expert approach to the tried and true God of War battle formula this game is sheer to please in those regards. However, a disappointing conclusion to the narrative and a bit too much deja vu(going back to Hades again) keep this from being the BEST God of War game yet. Even so, it's still a game worth action gamers times, because who else but Kratos lets you rip off the head of a Greek God?

10. Nier ; The biggest surprise of the year for me. I had no real interest in playing this game as SquareEnix showed it off bit by bit, and the horrendous lead character for the western version didn't help win me over. It was by sheer chance I got sidetracked online to get to a Youtube video of Nier's soundtrack. That alone piqued my interest enough to give the game a rent the next time I had free time. I came away with an incredibly engrossing game that succeeds in so many ways, but stumbles through a few of them. Rest assured a great plot, interesting characters, and some fun combat await you in Nier. The real star though for me was the soundtrack which just amplifies everything you do in this game to another level of stellar fun. RPG fans don't let an ugly cover ruin what lies inside when it comes to Nier.

x. Bayonetta ; This may be the craziest game this year. It rides on the simple idea of over the top fun, and succeeds over and over as you play it in that regard. While the story and characters are all throw aways none of that will matter as you break dance Angels beasts with shot guns to the face from your legs, or ice skate rip baddies to shreds. If you're all about gameplay, then Bayonetta has all the gameplay you want.

x. Fallout: New Vegas ; I hope it's safe to say the game has been patched enough at this point that the majority who play it will have a fun time. For me the initial launch and 50 some hours I spent with New Vegas were bug ridden and game freezing more times than I can count. All the fun things you found in Fallout 3 will make a return, and a bevy of new additions will make the gameplay much more solid this time around. It's a shame though that the engine it was built on is really showing its final legs, that the story wasn't a step up from Fallout 3, and that the side quests weren't all as well fleshed out as they were in Fallout 3. Still even with all this stacked up against it, I had a fun time with New Vegas, and if you played Fallout 3 you should too.

x. Red Dead Redemption ; This is a toughie for me to put here, but I feel the game would probably have made my top 10 if not for one reason: it gave me insane motion sickness. I got roughly 8-10 hours into RDR, before I had to call it quits. Too often I would have to put the 360 controller down because I felt I was going to throw up. This is the only game since Chameleon Twist for the N64 that I had this problem. Why I couldn't tell you. The 8 or so hours I struggled through though I could tell were leading up to a great narrative. It had already proved awesome gameplay, stellar voice acting, and the best looking open world game yet. My one complaint in those 8 hours gameplay related wise is the rides from quest start to quest objective were a bit too long and happened too often. It was a great idea to help flesh out people you engage with, but when it does it non stop I felt I needed a break from these long horse rides already. Multiplayer was also a treat, but not the star. It had some issues with how easy it was to head shot, and that the aim assist locked on to people entirely. If only RDR could come out with a patch to let me play it. :(

Yeef

1. Red Dead Redemption ; It was tough to choose between this and Galaxy 2 for my top spot. Truthfully, I'd say they're equal, but ultimately Red Dead seems like a fresher concept, so it got the nod.

2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Pure fun on a mechanical level, even though it doesn't add much to the formula established in the prequel.

3. Fallout: New Vegas ; I was surprised at how different the world and game felt from Fallout 3 considering the actual gameplay is identical. Overall, I feel like the world in New Vegas is a lot better realized than that of it's prequel.

4. Rock Band 3 ; Lots of people have complained about bugs in RB3, but I haven't run into any personally. It streamlines things nicely and the changes from Rock Band 2 feel as though they were specifically designed for the way I play.

5. Heavy Rain ; I imagine I would have enjoyed this game a lot less if I hadn't known anything going in. Having heard the PR that characters can die and the story continues tons of times on the run up to release, my first playthrough had so much more tension than any other game. Of course, after finishing the game there were tons of niggling issues with the story, but the journey was engaging enough that I felt it deserved a spot.

6. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale ; Great surprise game that came out of left field. Downloaded the demo when it was first released on Steam, but put off playing it for a month or so. Once I did I was immediately hooked.

7. Toki Tori (PC) ; Fantastic puzzle game with great, simple design. The rewind mechanic minimizes frustration and puts the focus on solving the puzzle. Great style and animations as well.

8. Amnesia: The Dark Descent ; Master use of atmosphere and, if you allow yourself to be immersed in the experience, it really has no equal as far as horror games are concerned. I thought the mechanic of not being able to look directly at monsters was an inspired idea.

9. Dead Rising 2 ; Felt easier than the first game and the removal of the photography mechanic is disappointing. Still it was a solid game and does a good job of sticking to the roots of the original.

stonedwal

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Dead Rising 2
3. Vanquish
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. Just Cause 2
6. Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor
7. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
8. Mass Effect 2
9. Game Dev Story
10. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver

This was tougher than I thought it was going to be - I was convinced the disappointing fourth quarter of the year would make it easy pickings, but there were a lot more games that I liked in Q1 and Q2 than I thought. Honourable mentions to MGS: Peace Walker, Bayonetta and WarioWare DIY, which I adore but haven't spent anywhere near enough time with to make a final judgment call.

FrankT

1. Red Dead Redemption; The life and times of John Marston is the best told story this year. The best told story last year, and the best told story the year before that. Even outside of gaming I can think a few in the last couple of years to even compare. It is truly an epic tale from start to finish. Rare a gaming feat…..without question. R* North, who’s that.

Cheesemeister said:
Just to be clear, anything within parentheses will be automatically removed.
What about the games that were only released in Europe this year and have (PAL) in their title? (As per the list in post #2.)

nincompoop said:
What about the games that were only released in Europe this year and have (PAL) in their title? (As per the list in post #2.)

That will be fine, don't worry. It will match up with the list we're using internally.

nincompoop said:

The parser ignores it, but we will be spot-checking to make sure you're in a region eligible to list said title.

storl026

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Alan Wake
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
6. Kirby's Epic Yarn
7. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
8. Cave Story

Looking at the nominees makes me ashamed of how few new games I've played this year :-( .

CLEEK

1. Vanquish
2. Bit.Trip Runner
3. Super Street Fighter 4
4. Bayonetta
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2
6. Halo: Reach
7. Pro Evolution Soccer 2011
8. Gran Turismo 5
9. Dead Nation
10. Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor

Yerolo

1. Alan Wake
2. Mafia 2
3. Just Cause 2
4. Red Dead Redemption
6. 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa
7. Call of Duty: Black Ops
8. BioShock 2

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
1. Bayonetta ; One of the most intriguing games that I've played. Not to mention one of the top best I've played this generation on consoles. I really enjoy the seductiveness, the eccentric-ness of the game.

2. Ys: The Oath in Felghana ; One of the best Ys games I've played. The great soundtrack and the although short, high replayability is what made fall in love with the game.

3. Star Ocean: The Last Hope International ; As a Star Ocean lover, I'd put this game on my top list because SO battle systems are marvelous, not to mention the rich content provided by the game.

4. Ace Attorney: Miles Edgeworth ; Every Ace Attorney game is always on my top 5 list, so yeah. :lol

5. Heavy Rain ; One of my favorite games this generation. I liked it because it was actually different. The story was ok.

6. Ys Seven ; My first Ys game that I was able to finish. This game made me fall in love with the series.

7. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood ; Assassin's Creed II was one of my top games last year, this is like ACII but a bit focused on one city.

8. God of War III ; I had fun with this game though I'm not very big on the series.

9. Nier ; Although the game lacks polish and the characters looking not as good, the story is marvelous.

10. Final Fantasy 13 ; Thanks to the very very low expectations, I'm proud to admit I had fun with this game. Highlights of this game were the graphics, the sceneries, the battle system, and the music. Though the linearity is what made it not so good.

1. Just Cause 2 ; Bought this game after playing the demo. So glad I did. Put over 57 hours into it.

2. Dead Rising 2 ; This game is so fun in co-op. A lot more fun than the original Dead Rising.

3. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver ; Its pokemon. Man, I sure do love me some pokemon.

4. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; I disliked DKC 1 and 3. DKC 2 was good. This game is amazing. I had so much fun.

5. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Fun game. Just didn't have the same impact as the first did on me.

6. Sin & Punishment 2: Simple and fun. Not much more I can say about it.

7. Sonic Colors ; Finally a sonic game with no huge flaws. I hope this trend continues in future games.

8. Kirby's Epic Yarn ; Fairly enjoyable for a game you cannot die in.

9. Metroid: Other M ; Eh, it was alright.

10. Minecraft ; I was addicted to it when I first bought it but now I have 0 motivation to do anything else in it. Oh well.

# New games released to your region this year (can be retail only or downloadable).
# Voting for imported titles is allowed. If you list an import game, please mention which country you are from. Otherwise I will assume you didn't read the rules and the vote will not count.

Huh? So can I vote for Japanese imports or not? Because there would be a few in my top ten of 2010.

1. Mass Effect 2 ; Most memorable universe and characters this gen. Really liked the improvements to combat. Story wouldn't have been panned as much if the ending wasn't botched.

2. Super Meat Boy ; So addictive. A lot of people experienced frustration while I thought the difficulty curve was fair throughout. Still can't believe I 100%'d this game...

3. Alpha Protocol ; Another great action/RPG with memorable characters. Like Mass Effect 2 I enjoyed the linearity more than I should have. A game that is better than the sum of it's parts.

4. Bayonetta ; As far as action games go this goes right up there right under the GOAT, Ninja Gaiden Black. Combat mechanics are second to none, A.I. is incredible and game oozes personality.

5. Heavy Rain
; Cinematic masterpiece. Such a fresh breath of air in an industry run by Call of Duty & Halo. Again, like ME2 and AP, so many great memorable characters and moments.

6. Vanquish ; Once you really understand the game mechanics this game takes off. Fresh take on the 3rd person cover shooter that throws new challenges and just enough variety to keep you highly entertained all the way thru.

7. Alan Wake ; Quality story-driven action/adventure game. Probably the most engaging story in a game I played this year, great amount of polish in how everything was implemented.

8. Limbo ; Clever little puzzle/platformer with a wickedly unique atmosphere that is one of my favorite XBLA titles. If the game was longer that would have placed a lot higher.

9. NBA 2K11
; I'm not even a huge basketball fan anymore, but this is hands-down the sports game of the year. 2KSports managed to fix almost all the problems that stopped me from playing the last 3 year's games. The addition of the Jordan modes was icing on the cake. Top notch presentation, awesome franchise mode, tons of gameplay depth and constant updates for rosters and NBA Today all make this a complete package.

10. FIFA 11 ; Rock solid gameplay has been refined over FIFA10 and WC2010, A.I. has been greatly improved, and the game features a good number of solid modes to keep me occupied (offline, online, Be-A-Pro, Season, Ultimate Team & Club). Having a ton of fun with club mode this year representing GAF, what up Ramen United!

x. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 ; Solid online shooter, that's a little too hectic and reckless for my tastes, but I had good fun with it for a couple weeks. The building destruction is amazing. Campaign was forgettable.

x. Halo: Reach ; Easily my favorite Halo singleplayer campaign. Multiplayer gameplay seemed refined but the maps that shipped with the game and playlists for the first month or two really turned me off. Impressive package though, with a ton of multiplayer options, Forge mode, Theater mode, etc...

x. MLB 10: The Show ; Awesome sports game that I didn't put enough time into to be considered in my top 10. All of my complaints from 09 were fixed (wonky fielding and unresponsive baserunning). Player models and animations still need a bit of work though.

x. NHL 11 ; Each year I spend a majority of my gaming time with this series. This year I think they took 1 step forward and 2 steps back. The goalie A.I. is atrocious, and there are some really annoying exploits and questionable design decisions in gameplay that really drag this game down out of my top 10 for the first time since NHL 08. Club mode has been this game's saving grace, having a good time representing GAF, what up Working Class Gypsies!

x. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands ; I really enjoyed this all the way through. Goes up there right under Sands of Time as my fav POP game. Platforming was rock solid, just wish the game had more variety and difficulty. Combat was dull despite the upgrade mechanic and the story was lackluster.

x. Red Dead Redemption
; Impressive game with a really cool and unique setting that didn't make my top 10 list because about halfway thru it started getting tedious like every open world game does to me. I really disliked the shooting mechanic as the game pretty much forced you to use to auto-lock aim if you wanted to survive gunfights with multiple targets and that lock-on made the game way to easy. I tried playing without it but it's clear to me the game doesn't want you to play that way. Online modes were really disappointing pre-DLC to me as well.

x. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction ; Solid but unspectacular addition to the franchise. I really enjoyed the co-op multiplayer stuff (Hunter and Infiltration Modes) while the story mode was pretty forgettable. Game was too run & gun for a franchise that rewrote the book on stealth gameplay, but Ubisoft likes alienating it's brand's fansbases though so I wasn't surprised...

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Fallout: New Vegas
4. Dead Rising 2
5. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
6. Final Fantasy 13
7. Heavy Rain
8. Mafia 2
9. God of War 3
10. Darksiders

My list would probably be so different if I even played half the games I bought this year. Even some of the top 10 I only played maybe half through.

distantmantra said:
Huh? So can I vote for Japanese imports or not? Because there would be a few in my top ten of 2010.

Yes, you can vote for them, just please list that you imported it (after the semicolon if possible).

andy_lhc

1. Heavy Rain
2. Bayonetta
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. God of War 3
5. Final Fantasy 13
6. Valkyria Chronicles 2
7. Persona 3 Portable
8. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
9. Civilization 5
10. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty

Honorable mentions:
x. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
x. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
x. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
x. Game Dev Story
x. Cut the Rope

rObit

Banned
1. Halo: Reach
2. Mass Effect 2
3. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. Just Cause 2
6. Metro 2033
7. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
8. Minecraft

Gigglepoo

1. Dead Rising 2
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Super Meat Boy
4. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
6. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
7. Heavy Rain
8. God of War III
9. Vanquish
10. Fallout: New Vegas

1. Ryu ga Gotoku 4; Japanese import
2. Nier
3. Rock Band 3
4. Vanquish
5. Resonance of Fate
6. Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
7. Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
8. Final Fantasy XIII
9. White Knight Chronicles
10. Another Century's Episode R; Japanese import

I played Bayonetta in 2009, that's why it didn't make my list.

Alts

Delegating complexity to the voters seems like the wrong call here (particularly game naming). The only rule that seems pretty necessary is the inclusion of delimiters.

What does your regex look like?

StuBurns

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
Do vote for imports. It's mostly a matter of checking for new-to-Europe titles.
Why does this even matter?

I'm in the UK so it doesn't count for me, but lets say someone wanted to vote for Demon's Souls in the US because they only played it this year even though they could have last year, why does that need policing?

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Heavy Rain
6. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
7. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
8. Game Dev Story
9. Rock Band 3
10. God of War 3

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Okay, I went back through the list and noticed formatting errors for the following people up to post 300:

The Take Out Bandit (not sure)
Trevelyon, MYE (not sure)
entrement
nelsonroyale, Saiyar
GhaleonQ (might just want to have one list and not two)
Mt Heart Attack, Letters
GraveRobberX
Heavy's Sandvich
BaronLundi
consoul
Divvy
chubigans
ruffles
Suzzopher
daxter01
Lagspike_exe (not sure if parentheses are okay instead of periods after the numbers)
Mooreberg
GPsych
Sgt.Pepper (name check)
bluedeviltron
Broseybrose
Chriswok
ezekial45
CozMick
shahkur (name checK)
revolverjgw
tass0
SpokkX (name check)
GeoramA
Sadist
REV 09
Kaako
KAOS
riceandbeans
Rated-Rsuperstar
nincompoop
hxa155
Blue Ninja
Leviathin25 (not sure if parentheses are okay instead of periods after the numbers)
Anth0ny
moozoom
semiconscious
ep85

If you aren't sure what's wrong with your list, consult the OP or ask me. Some of them I'm not sure about, so in that case ask timetokill.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
SPE said:
1. Vanquish
2. Bit.Trip Runner
3. Super Street Fighter 4
4. Bayonetta
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2
6. Halo: Reach
7. Pro Evolution Soccer 2011
8. Gran Turismo 5
9. Dead Nation
10. Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor
Another Bit.Trip.Runner voter! *high five*

Alts said:
Delegating complexity to the voters seems like the wrong call here (particularly game naming). The only rule that seems pretty necessary is the inclusion of delimiters.

What does your regex look like?

Delimeters are obviously necessary to determine what the title string is. Things like abbreviations and numeral variations make it harder to match strings. When all these variable versions will need further data massaging which would otherwise be unnecessary.

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Halo: Reach
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Angry Birds
6. Super Meat Boy
7. Donkey Kong Country Returns
8. Super Mario Galaxy 2
9. Call of Duty: Black Ops
10. Kirby's Epic Yarn

StuBurns said:
Why does this even matter?

I'm in the UK so it doesn't count for me, but lets say someone wanted to vote for Demon's Souls in the US because they only played it this year even though they could have last year, why does that need policing?

It's GOTY 2010, not 2009. That's always been the policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom