• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 Review thread

It's two weeks before the US release date. Shouldn't someone just make an Official LBP2 thread and post the review scores in there?

Nice to see it scoring well, at any rate, if hardly unexpected.

Omiee

badcrumble said:
It's two weeks before the US release date. Shouldn't someone just make an Official LBP2 thread and post the review scores in there?

Nice to see it scoring well, at any rate, if hardly unexpected.

I havent seen a OT and i dont know if somebody was working on it, but i thought we'd have a review thread at least.
Its good to see this scoring realy well, i hope it sells a lot.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Omiee said:
I hope it sells a lot.

As do I but I'm just not feeling that people are in the mood to spend money atm, most people I know are stink from Christmas, I hope this release window works out for them.

Anyway great to see it getting the credit it's due.

spats

lowrider007 said:
As do I but I'm just not feeling that people are in the mood to spend money atm, most people I know are stink from Christmas, I hope this release window works out for them.

I have a feeling it'll have pretty long legs, as did the first one.

Omiee

lowrider007 said:

Well it sure has a fanbase right now, but i havent seen any marketing for it here in europe so i dont know.

Xater

Good reviews but I think I'll skip it. The first game didn't really click that much with me. I played through the levels on the disc and was pretty much done with the game. Maybe I'll pick it up for cheap down the line, because the improved editor is not selling me on the title.

Omiee

Xater said:
Good reviews but I think I'll skip it. The first game didn't really click that much with me. I played through the levels on the disc and was pretty much done with the game. Maybe I'll pick it up for cheap down the line, because the improved editor is not selling me on the title.

its not just the editor, the first one was all about platforming and creating, this one has all new game mode's people can make within the game.

Ranger X

There's no OT yet for LBP2. I even thought of making one but I am too lazy.
It's ok to have a review thread and a OT. It happens with multiple big titles.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
gcubed said:
what were the original's scores? i seem to remember them being a bit lower?

LBP had pretty amazing reviews actually. The third highest rated PS3 game on Metacritic with 95. So I imagine, actually, that the first had perhaps an even better mix of scores than this in early reviews...although the average here so far is not far behind (93). We'll see how it holds up but I'd be very, very surprised if the sequel matched the original's metacritic score.

Xater

Omiee said:
its not just the editor, the first one was all about platforming and creating, this one has all new game mode's people can make within the game.

That's still just a new editor feature and I don't really care about that.

Stellar reviews for what's certain to be a stellar game. Some of the criticisms still rub me up the wrong way, but at least the running theme in these reviews is consistent: it's really, really fucking good.

We're destined to hear all about the floaty platforming in the post-release podcasts but whatever. As a criticism I kind of get that one. What I'll never understand is the complaint that it's "really hard to make good levels" (though it's nice to see some reviewers appreciate it's gotten easier in the sequel). Criticise the accessibility of the tools all you like, but it should never be considered a flaw of the game that it's time consuming or difficult to make something good. It's all about the canvas, right? LBP would be hugely flawed if its editor consisted of a gigantic "MAKE AWESOME LEVEL NOW!" button.

That said, while it's a niggling comment on most reviews, it's nice to see sites like IGN back it up with a "it takes a lot of time to create a level but I don't mind as I prefer to play other people's creations". Etc. That's really the crux of it -- LittleBigPlanet can be whatever you want it to be.

Also, have you guys seen that level in the beta that randomly picks six lottery numbers? There's some bonkers logic going on behind the scenes there.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I'm so pumped for this game. There aren't many games I feel willing to throw $60 at on release anymore, but this is one of them.

Carl

Xater said:

If you only played the levels on the disc, you're doing it wrong.

Purist

Neo Member
It's too bad the beta levels are going to be deleted. But yeah, I'm sure they will be back in full force and take this game to GOTY.

Listening to the IGN review... I heard him complain about long load times for created levels several times... does he not realize that's it's not just loading but actually downloading AND loading them? oO The game can't bend the laws of physics dude...

Even so I didn't find them to be THAT long on the beta, apart from the occasional glitch where it wouldn't actually load it at all.

Metalmurphy said:
It's not like it doesn't deserv it.

It didn't deserve. 95s are given out to incredible, GotY-caliber games and it was just really average. It had no flow, no rhythm, no excitement. Adding a single thing to your level took forever. Most of the good user created levels played themselves because of the mechanics of the game lent themselves so poorly to good platforming. The second game seems better since MM actually seems to understand that level design should be created in a way that encourages flow and makes each jump in rhythm and to allow people to create levels in under a couple of months, but I'm still shocked at the original's score. It has to be the most overrated game of this generation.

Purist said:
It's too bad the beta levels are going to be deleted. But yeah, I'm sure they will be back in full force and take this game to GOTY.

I don't really understand why they are deleting the beta levels to be honest. I'm sure there's some technical reason, but some amazing stuff has already been created for LBP2. It just seems odd that people picking up the game on launch day are only going to have access to the countless LBP1 levels. As brilliant as some of those are, I'm concerned people might think "that's it".

Will the levels at least carry across to players' Moon so they can simply give them a test and republish on launch day?

Metalmurphy said:
Even so I didn't find them to be THAT long on the beta, apart from the occasional glitch where it wouldn't actually load it at all.

The load times have gotten much, much faster since the beta started in my experience. It rarely hangs anymore.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
It didn't deserve. 95s are given out to incredible, GotY-caliber games and it was just really average. It had no flow, no rhythm, no excitement. Adding a single thing to your level took forever. Most of the good user created levels played themselves because of the mechanics of the game lent themselves so poorly to good platforming. The second game seems better since MM actually seems to understand that level design should be created in a way that encourages flow and makes each jump in rhythm and to allow people to create levels in under a couple of months, but I'm still shocked at the original's score. It has to be the most overrated game of this generation.

This opinion is wrong.

get2sammyb said:
I don't really understand why they are deleting the beta levels to be honest. I'm sure there's some technical reason, but some amazing stuff has already been created for LBP2. It just seems odd that people picking up the game on launch day are only going to have access to the countless LBP1 levels. As brilliant as some of those are, I'm concerned people might think "that's it".

Will the levels at least carry across to players' Moon so they can simply give them a test and republish on launch day?

The load times have gotten much, much faster since the beta started in my experience. It rarely hangs anymore.

This opinion is wrong.
i think it's better to delete. that way when new people get the game their levels surely won't get overlooked. just to make sure even if MM redesigned the way they handle community levels.

Teknoman

DMPrince said:
i think it's better to delete. that way when new people get the game their levels surely won't get overlooked. just to make sure even if MM redesigned the way they handle community levels.

Wait so are they deleting only the levels uploaded, or basically making all beta data unable to convert to retail?

Teknoman said:
Wait so are they deleting only the levels uploaded, or basically making all beta data unable to convert to retail?
beta levels. hm. forgot about the LBP1 levels. oh well. back to being overlooked :lol

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Well... that's your opinion, and I strongly disagree with it. Apparently all the critics do too.

I seem to know nothing about this game even though it comes out so soon. Sony, if you want LBP to become a large tent-pole franchise then treat it like one

Teknoman said:
Hopefully no one will run into that brick wall with lbp.me.

I think the Media Molecule Picks section is really going to limit that problem too. With the first LittleBigPlanet, good levels constantly got overshadowed by the "already" good levels if you know what I mean. MMPicks allows a stream of really top quality content to stay in a feed right at the front of the game.

Of course -- that doesn't neccessarily support the "alright" levels, at which point LBP.me really comes into play. We'll be able to link levels on GAF and by adding it to the "queue" it eradicates any issues of "forgetting" or fumbling through search. Really smart idea by MM.

How many people here saw an amazing level on YouTube, said they'd play it and then totally forgot? *Raises hand*.

I do still think LBP2 is craving the YouTube upload feature in other PS3 games though. I'm assuming there's a technical reason for it not being there. For a game all about sharing and social interactivity, it seems like an absolute no brainer.

thuway said:
Where is my media blitz Sony? Do we not have the advertising dollars for it?

It's still early but they're sponsoring Channel 5 movies here in the UK. It's a reasonable spot and I guess it supports the audience they're aiming for.

The reviews were expected. However, i will wait to purchase until people make some incredible games for it, which will probably be a lot in about 6 months.

jayb

does anyone know if they left out the creator heart trophies in LBP2? That almost ruined trying to find a good custom level in LBP1, in the midst of all the trophy whore levels.

Majine

Banned
thuway said:
Where is my media blitz Sony? Do we not have the advertising dollars for it?
I called them and asked, and they said they forgot and will wake up Kevin immediately.

jayb said:
does anyone know if they left out the creator heart trophies in LBP2? That almost ruined trying to find a good custom level in LBP1, in the midst of all the trophy whore levels.

Not sure but I'm going to guess at yes. They have the whole pins system to reward people within the game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I didn't even want to play the demo, I really want to be surprised as much as possible by this one, and I can't wait for it.

The high scores are nice to see. I ended up selling LBP but I'm excited for LBP2. I had a lot of fun with the demo. I didn't like that stuffed animal level (the hamster was cool though) but I'm a sucker for platformers.

Top Bottom