• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NGP @ GDC (Liveblog Over, Slides Up)

Takao

Banned
NrVCF.png

Watch/Read Sony's GDC panel on their latest portable platform, the NGP.

Blistered Thumbs LiveBlog
Wired's Coverage
Joystiq Coverage - includes footage of Little Deviants, Augmented Reality, and Uncharted Portable as well as the entire Power Point presentation.

The News

- PowerVR SGX543MP4+ GPU, alongside "a multi-core chip with the ability to dynamically load balance between its cores" and dedicated media chips.

- GPS is confined to 3G units only, but WiFi-only models will be able to "do positioning via Skyhook Wireless, which uses data about Wi-Fi hotspot locations to get relatively accurate location information."

- Game cards (not memory sticks) will be 2-4GB average for launch titles.

- Features some Augmented Reality Game/Quick Response bar code scanner that can bring characters from a video game cover to life.

- Has head tracking capabilities.

- Pressure sensitive multi-touch OLED screen, and touch pad.

- Powerful cameras optimized for low-light, high speed video.

Pictures

QWszu.jpg

omHBj.jpg

By6rr.jpg

XYFwL.jpg

7xncV.jpg

zntgk.jpg

Via GamesRadar.com

Video of the NGP rotating display

Zoe

Zoibie said:
"They're going to have 3G and Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi will have GPS"

So will the standard one not have GPS?

How can it have GPS without towers to connect to?

Takao

Banned
This liveblog is brutal.

I'd honestly take some Kotaku shit, even with the cancerous redesign over this.

androvsky

Zoibie said:
Fair enough, I don't know how that shit works :D

If it helps any, real GPS doesn't use towers at all, it connects to satellites. However, it's possible to use cell towers to assist the location process, making for cheaper hardware (cheap as in it's practically free with a decent wifi/bluetooth/3g combo chip).

NGP cards = 2-4GB. I knew they'd be smaller than the 3DS. They had to cut the size in order to keep costs down (since the cards have a large portion of rewritable memory for DLC as well)

Nuclear Muffin said:
NGP cards = 2-4GB. I knew they'd be smaller than the 3DS. They had to cut the size in order to keep costs down (since the cards have a large portion of rewritable memory for DLC as well)

booooooo

stay gold

Nuclear Muffin said:

Says average game size not card size.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Nuclear Muffin said:
Well, I'm positive that NGP cards will get bigger with time too.

Nuclear Muffin said:

What else do you know then?

The card size really sucks IMO.

Takao

Banned
The masters of ARG trying to upstage those other guys with Ape Escape. ;)

DeadRockstar said:
Was Ape Escape PS3 known? The hell.

Depends, there's one in Japan that hasn't been released that's an on-rails Move game.

Reportedly, there's also an Ape Escape 4 in development at SCEJ.

Zoe

Rapstah said:
How do these three connect in any way?!

2:06
Showing Ape Escape for PS3...
2:07
When you scan a game a animated charater will show up when you look at the game though the NGP camera
It can be interacted with it appears

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
androvsky said:
If it helps any, real GPS doesn't use towers at all, it connects to satellites. However, it's possible to use cell towers to assist the location process, making for cheaper hardware (cheap as in it's practically free with a decent wifi/bluetooth/3g combo chip).

Their tech partner for location services blends wifi, 3g and GPS. I guess the wifi version may use wifi only - the locationing quality you get from that may vary depending on density of mapped wifi spots in your area (i.e. may be better in urban areas).

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Nuclear Muffin said:
WTF?!

Spiegel

Nuclear Muffin said:

They are not smaller

distrbnce

Banned
2:06
Showing Ape Escape for PS3...
When you scan a game a animated charater will show up when you look at the game though the NGP camera
It can be interacted with it appears

Is he talking about just showing the cover to the camera? That seems pretty cool and quite possible, as they'll know what all the covers look like... just takes some inter-office communication... is that actually happening at Sony?

...scan a game?

Lonely1 said:
Well, I'm positive that NGP cards will get bigger with time too.

I'm sure they will. Nonetheless, it seems that Nintendo will have the upper hand in regards to card size (which makes sense since their cards don't have the large re-writeable memory that Sony's do)

replayy said:
Says average game size not card size.

This is Sony. If there's anything they love to do it's brag about their maximum storage capacity size for games. I'm certain that's the size of the card itself.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
This liveblog is awesome because it keeps some of the suspense and doesn't try to play host like some of those douchebags who love to write

Nuclear Muffin said:

3DS cards are 1-2GB right now. Bigger sizes will come, presumably to both platforms.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
distrbnce said:
Is he talking about just showing the cover to the camera? That seems pretty cool and quite possible, as they'll know what all the covers look like... just takes some inter-office communication... is that actually happening at Sony?

...scan a game?

It's not very clear from the blog. It sounds like 'scanning' video of the game being played. I dunno how it would identify a specific game from arbitrary footage of it, though.

I dunno.

Top Bottom