• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NGP @ GDC (Liveblog Over, Slides Up)

Rapstah

Teetris said:
This liveblog is awesome because it keeps some of the suspense and doesn't try to play host like some of those douchebags who love to write
"Pictures later! Pictures later! Pictures later! Moving on to X! Pictures later!"

Takao said:
I know what AR stands for, but QR?
those cool barcodes.

Oh and as far as PSN store goes. they seriously need to filter out ps3 content. i don't want to have to sit through ps3 content in my download list just to find psp titles.

Graphics Horse said:
3DS cards are 1-2GB right now. Bigger sizes will come, presumably to both platforms.

Nintendo have already said that the current max size of a 3DS card is 8GB. If Sony could have one as large, they would brag about it as much as possible (they have always trumpeted their large capacity games) The fact that they've said 2-4GB is a clear sign that they're not gonna be able to hit 8GB at launch (or near launch)

Both will increase over time no doubt, but Nintendo should have the upper hand in this respect since their cards don't have large portions of re-writeable memory (which is expensive)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
2:10
The scanning features appear to be built into the Hardware. Didn't mention how it's stored, etc
2:10
NGP has Head detection and tracking

Nice it's built in to the system, I guess - more devs might use it vs rolling their own detection for just one game.

Shame there was apparently no spec on the cameras though.

Panajev2001a said:
Pressure sensitive touch pad :D!

Yeah, this caught my attention too. Could solve the problem of interpreting different actions without using a button simultaneously - e.g. you could move a cursor around and click it by pressing a bit harder.

Nuclear Muffin said:
This is Sony. If there's anything they love to do it's brag about their maximum storage capacity size for games.

So why did they mention 9GB average size for PS3 games and not 50GBs that Uncharted 2, Killzone 3 and GT5 use?

2:12
Has a friends list, similar to the one on PS3. "Near" feature will show you popular games people are playing in the area you're in
2:14
There seems to be some sort of "Treasure Hunting" aspect. You receive treasure boxes in certain areas of town. Will require keys that you find in other areas of the city or other games.
2:14
This is all based in the Near feature.

Zoibie

There seems to be some sort of "Treasure Hunting" aspect. You receive treasure boxes in certain areas of town. Will require keys that you find in other areas of the city or other games.

Kinda like that Fable 3 iPhone game thing?

Achtius

Jinfash said:
Stuff I really hate already:

- Game card size

- No GPS in WiFi-only models

If they do include GPS, you probably have to buy maps from them to use them. Probably easier to just buy a dedicated GPS.

AranhaHunter said:
So why did they mention 9GB average size for PS3 games and not 50GBs that Uncharted 2, Killzone 3 and GT5 use?

Those titles are 1st party exclusives. Think about the average size of multiplatform games. The XBox 360 only has a DVD drive.

distrbnce

Banned
DeadRockstar said:
So much motion and touch. Please don't fuck up Uncharted.

After the first demo at CES, Devs said touch stuff (like climbing vines) wouldn't be necessary, but a compliment to the controls... Though I don't care, I say build it for the experience. I'm down for new ideas.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
"Treasure hunting" sounds a lot like what I thought they'd do with near, for location-based discovery of rewards and stuff. Will be a marketer's dream, probably.

Jinfash said:
Stuff I really hate already:

- Game card size

- No GPS in WiFi-only models

First is likely to increase over time as flash becomes cheaper and second is because it is most likely aGPS like you get in mobiles, it requires an active data connection to work, without 3G the chances of having an active data connection on the move is pretty minimal.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
plainr_ said:
This is probably the worst coverage ever.

It's Blistered Thumbs, I am waiting for Angry Joe drama/crying anytime now...

Seriously why no real site covered this NGP event?

Zane

2:24
Thanks so much for making it to Blistered Thumbs FIRST liveblog! You're apart of history :).

my fellow gaffers

this day, march 2 2011, we became a part of history.

Amir0x

Banned
Totobeni said:
It's Blistered Thumbs, I am waiting for Angry Joe drama/crying anytime now...

Seriously why no real site covered this NGP event?

Because seems like every other site realized the only thing at this panel was an Uncharted demo :p

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Achtius said:
If they do include GPS, you probably have to buy maps from them to use them. Probably easier to just buy a dedicated GPS.
Nobody cares about maps, dude :lol but the potential for location based content (which Sony is hyping) would be very limited if they don't ship every model with GPS.

Top Bottom