• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS demo station @ Best Buy

v0yce

Don't know if this has been reported yet, but earlier today during a trip to the local Best Buy, I was pleasantly surprised to look over and see a 3DS set up.

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

Pilotwings Resort was the only playable game. The home button was inactive and powering off and restarting the system loaded straight to the game, so I couldn't play around with the camera or anything else.

I guess my expectations were too high after reading all the previews, but the 3D effect was a lot more subtle than I thought. Even cranked all the way up the depth wasn't extreme. I did find that having the slider about half way seemed the best. Up all the way didnt' really seem "more 3D" it just kind of seemed more... off? Not sure how to explain it. Overall, the 3D was definately still neat, but not the wow factor I was expecting.

Other impressions...
Circle pad felt good.
Not a big fan of the blue. (I've got a black preordered so I'm biased anyway)

I should mention this is all based on about 5 minutes with Pilotwings only. A little kid walked up behind me so I felt I should get off and let him play.

edit: Just so people don't read too much into my (very brief) impressions
v0yce said:
You probably shouldn't give my impressions too much weight. All I got to play was a few tutorial missions which were basically blue sky with rings or balloons to fly through/into. So there really wasn't much to gauge distance off of really. I probalby should have just free roamed closer to land and stuff. That probably would have given me a better idea of the 3D.

But even the menu and taking off, etc didn't exactly blow my hair back with its use of 3D. But I also didn't really experiment with holding the DS at different distances from my eyes. That may have helped. I just held it a comfortable distance like I do with my regular DS.

But even though I wasn't blow away by the 3D like I was expecting, it was still pretty cool and its not like I'm canceling my preorder or anything. I'm still excited to try more games out and play with the AR stuff.

v0yce

ombz said:
How big is the Best Buy you went to?

Its seems on par with just about every other BB i've been to. It doesn't have a Magnolia room or whatever though.

It was in North Little Rock, AR. So not exactly a major city. =)

The M.O.B

v0yce said:
I should mention this is all based on about 5 minutes with Pilotwings only. A little kid walked up behind me so I felt I should get off and let him play.

Wrong move, that kid will now be blind in a week.

zeioIIDX

The M.O.B said:
Wrong move, that kid will now be blind in a week.
LMAO, that's messed up! Hope the screens on these things won't be shot to shit anytime soon. Just called two Best Buys near me, they said their demo stations will be up tomorrow.

WillyFive

zeioIIDX said:
LMAO, that's messed up! Hope the screens on these things won't be shot to shit anytime soon.

I remember people ruining the top DS screen on demo stations because they thought it was also a touch screen. Kept happening until a few years after launch.

Razorskin

----- ------
Good to see these are being set up, not in a rush to buy the thing but could see myself buying it in the next few months. The 3D is definitely something I want to see for myself.

v0yce said:
. A little kid walked up behind me so I felt I should get off and let him play.

I hate it when that happens.

Thanks for the heads up im going to swing by my Best Buy tomorrow see if they got it.

- J - D -

Oh cool saves me the trouble of going all the way out to downtown SF to the 3DS demo pod at the pier. Gonna try my nearby BB.

Can you elaborate more on why you weren't so impressed with the 3D?

I'm hearing such conflicting reports from the 3D and depth being extremely powerful in a game such as Pilotwings, to the next person saying it's very subtle.

Any more information would be nice to read. Thanks.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow I really want to check this out. I wonder if this game just has a less impressive 3D effect that other games? Your impressions are a bit on the disappointing side.

zeioIIDX

Dark Octave said:
I give it a week before some ass hole takes a key to the screens.
And of course it'll probably be only on the top screen which is gonna mess up the ability to properly see the 3D :/

v0yce

An Owl With Knees said:
Can you elaborate more on why you weren't so impressed with the 3D?

I'm hearing such conflicting reports from the 3D and depth being extremely powerful in a game such as Pilotwings, to the next person saying it's very subtle.

Any more information would be nice to read. Thanks.

You probably shouldn't give my impressions too much weight. All I got to play was a few tutorial missions which were basically blue sky with rings or balloons to fly through/into. So there really wasn't much to gauge distance off of really. I probalby should have just free roamed closer to land and stuff. That probably would have given me a better idea of the 3D.

But even the menu and taking off, etc didn't exactly blow my hair back with its use of 3D. But I also didn't really experiment with holding the DS at different distances from my eyes. That may have helped. I just held it a comfortable distance like I do with my regular DS.

But even though I wasn't blow away by the 3D like I was expecting, it was still pretty cool and its not like I'm canceling my preorder or anything. I'm still excited to try more games out and play with the AR stuff.

coldvein

Banned
looking forward to trying this, hope my bestbuy has one. i'm currently a 3D non-believer but would be willing to change if it's actually good.

coldvein said:
looking forward to trying this, hope my bestbuy has one. i'm currently a 3D non-believer but would be willing to change if it's actually good.
OP said he wasn't blown away or anything. Makes me wonder what the 3D is actually like.

V0yce, would you say the effect was more like looking through a window, or were the graphics popping out of the screen?

swerve

v0yce said:
I guess my expectations were too high after reading all the previews, but the 3D effect was a lot more subtle than I thought.

I cannot fathom how you came to that conclusion on PilotWings of all games. The effect is mind-bendingly deep when it clicks on that game.

And regarding the slider being 'all the way up', in Pilotwings it has a strong affect on how far 'out' from the screen stuff comes (most games just push things into the distance). This takes more getting used to, so might explain why it looked more 'off' for you.

I'll admit, the first few minutes with 3DS I couldn't really see it, but after a short while it clicked right in. Kid Icarus, Zelda and PilotWings are all insanely deep 3D (whereas SF, Nintendogs, are fairly shallow by comparison).

I played with the 3DS at the NYC demo pod, and my friend, SnakeXs on here, commented that the Pilotwings 3D effect was very subtle.

I think it may just be Pilotwings; I played Street Fighter and the effect was very pronounced and great.

Rich!

I have to say, Pilotwings was the least impressive in terms of 3D out of all of the games I played last month (but it was still awesome!!). Street Fighter IV was the highlight for me.

Grisby

Gravijah said:
what's wrong with children watching grown men get off

B+, but since I'm a sweetheart I'll give ya an A.

On topic, I'll have to give my BB in Gainesville a shot later.

swerve

Whaaaaaaaaaat? I guess maybe they changed it for the GDC build, or maybe I'm projecting the Kid Icarus depth onto PilotWings. But I remember struggling with the things floating in front of the screen in PW where that isn't an issue in any other games.

Anyway, the 3D effect does vary, yes, but can be quite incredible. I suspect Kid Icarus is going to make brains explode from what I played last week.

DarkWish

Called up the Best Buy in Sterling, VA but they don't have it yet. I read a comment on that go Nintendo site that said most stores would get them by the 14th. I hope that's true cause this week is my spring break and it would be really easy to check it out this week.

Veal

v0yce said:
Its seems on par with just about every other BB i've been to. It doesn't have a Magnolia room or whatever though.

It was in North Little Rock, AR. So not exactly a major city. =)
SHIT. I hope they have one set up Conway! They better have one set up :(

Izayoi

Banned
People say Pilotwings on full makes them sick because the 3D is so strong.

People say Pilotwings on full doesn't look very 3D.

I'M SO CONFUSED

NOTHING MAKES SENSE ANYMORE

gwarm01

I'm at work right now on the other side of the river. I might have to go check it out once I get off. I'm sure my wife will want to see it too. Ugh, NLR is a bit of a drive for us though. Wish a closer store had a demo station.

Gravijah

gwarm01 said:
I'm at work right now on the other side of the river. I might have to go check it out once I get off. I'm sure my wife will want to see it too. Ugh, NLR is a bit of a drive for us though. Wish a closer store had a demo station.

Just tell her to fly you there!

coldvein

Banned
Izayoi said:
People say Pilotwings on full makes them sick because the 3D is so strong.

People say Pilotwings on full doesn't look very 3D.

different expectations, maybe? i must confess, i too am confused.

WillyFive

Guys, what some may think is deep may be subtle to others. They are both seeing the same thing, but they have different standards.

Just as how a guy from the country may not call a random city apartment to be anything remotely close to being "spacious".

BannedEpisode said:
I wonder if there are any set up in Minnesota.

I'm looking forward to the 3DS but I really would like to see the 3D with my own eyes.

Im calling to see if the saint cloud store has one set up, will let ya know

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
v0yce said:
Don't know if this has been reported yet, but earlier today during a trip to the local Best Buy, I was pleasantly surprised to look over and see a 3DS set up.

That kid was me. Thanks.

swerve

jump_button said:
why do everyone think slider all way = full 3D it all to do with what your eyes are like

No, no it doesn't/isn't.

Slider all the way = images at full separation. Nothing to do with your eyes, everything to do with how much you want your brain to be doing crazy shit.

Similarly, you can move the 3D photo slider (different to the 3D volume control) to 'inverse' separation, which layers the images the other way creating the 'cross-eye' versions of the image, and making stuff pop out of the screen rather than recede into it.

Full 3D is going to be full 3D for everyone who can see it, it's just a matter of if people want to get used to that level of focal gymnastics.

Top Bottom