• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS demo station @ Best Buy

coldvein

Banned
swerve said:
No, no it doesn't/isn't.
Full 3D is going to be full 3D for everyone who can see it, it's just a matter of if people want to get used to that level of focal gymnastics.

3DS requires focal gymnastics?

Gravijah

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
NEVER CALL

Yeah, there's honestly no reason to call stores and ask about shit like that. Either the person isn't going to check and lie about it or they'll be too stupid. You might as well just ask your cat.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
My store has one.
Leaving now.

WHEEEEE!

Also I got an email from Gamestop that invited me to an afterhours preview of it tomorrow evening. Kinda cool though I don't shop there anymore.

Gravijah said:
Yeah, there's honestly no reason to call stores and ask about shit like that. Either the person isn't going to check and lie about it or they'll be too stupid. You might as well just ask your cat.
Awesome! I put out a "yes" bowl of food and a "no" bowl of food, and my cat indicated that "yes" my Best Buy will have one!

The M.O.B

fna84 said:
I hate it when kids leave demo units all sticky with candy/chocolate/?.

This, call me paronoid but I always inspect the controller/handheld before trying it out.

The worse is when you see somebody sneeze right into their hand only for them to stop momentarily and then continue playing, ugh.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
abstract alien said:
Right outside of it in baytown. Just checked and it's a no go, not that baytown would get anything first anyway lol
Haha, I see. Was hoping i could save the guess work for someone else and just head over to the BB they would've gone to.

I'll be heading out tomorrow anyway so I'll report back for other Houston gafffers.

Serenade said:
Haha, I see. Was hoping i could save the guess work for someone else and just head over to the BB they would've gone to.

I'll be heading out tomorrow anyway so I'll report back for other Houston gafffers.
Cool. I may head out to the Galleria area tomorrow, so I'll check BBs there if so. Speaking of the galleria, I bet Future Tech has one...

Yeah, when I played this in the NYC demo pod I felt setting the 3d slider to the middle gave the best effect. The problem with setting it to max 3d was that you could not effectively focus on both the character and the scenery at the same time, which made everything seem off.
Putting it in the middle gave it balance.

gwarm01

Left work early to check it out. Aside from the greasy smudges all over it the unit was in good shape. The analog pad was great, much better than on the PSP. I was also surprised at the size. I had expected it to be pretty large, but it looked similar in size to the DS Lite.

The only bad thing was the 3D. On the highest setting it made me feel cross-eyed, and I had trouble finding the sweet spot. It worked better (and was kind of fun) at the medium setting, but I could see how it would cause headaches or eye strain if you played for a long time.

antonz

gwarm01 said:
Left work early to check it out. Aside from the greasy smudges all over it the unit was in good shape. The analog pad was great, much better than on the PSP. I was also surprised at the size. I had expected it to be pretty large, but it looked similar in size to the DS Lite.

The only bad thing was the 3D. On the highest setting it made me feel cross-eyed, and I had trouble finding the sweet spot. It worked better (and was kind of fun) at the medium setting, but I could see how it would cause headaches or eye strain if you played for a long time.

A common misconception is that the slider is strength. From what Ive been told the slider is actually more of a sweet spot adjustor. Some people will need to adjust it fully to get it and to others such as yourself its midway

Seda

As a Best Buy employee, I was notified that project teams were supposed to start putting up the demos the week of the 13th, so looks like some got a head start. Most should be up tommorrow/monday (some project teams don't work weekends), but some stores share a team so maybe longer.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
MiamiWesker said:
Any BB in Miami doing this?
Please post again if you find out, I just went to the Dadeland BB yesterday but didn't see anything.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The 3DS sends out two images when 3D is on. One for the right eye, one for the left, each from different angles to simulate stereo vision, just as we see in real life. To do this the game needs to place two cameras; one on the left, one on the right, to capture the image for display.

Having the 3D slider up at the highest is 'maximum' stereoscopic imagery. The cameras will be as far away from each other as they're programmed to be. This means that each image is of a notably harsher angle than the other, which gives a deep stereo effect to the user.

Sliding the 3D slider down moves these two cameras closer together. As long as it isn't set to off, you'll still always have two cameras, two images, and thus a stero effect. The lower the slider the closer the cameras, and thus the less difference in angle between the two images. A sense of depth is still established, it's just not as hard and aggressive on the eyes.

When turned to off you're essentially moving the cameras into the exact same place, and so the game is captured from only one angle. This is exactly how any normal screen or game looks. One image sent to both eyes, creating a flat 2D image.

For some, the intensity of maximum 3D will be painful. You're eyes/brain will struggle to adjust to what is a new and unnatural image. In these cases, slide the slider back. Lower it to half, or less, and find a comfortable sweet spot. A stero depth that isn't too aggressive. This is a new way to display, and your brain will get used to it. Over time dont be surprised if the intensity felt from even a half way slider lessons and eventually disappears, allowing you to crank it up even high.

The point is that like most new things not everybody will be able to jump right in at the maximum settings. Find what is comfortable for you and, if you want to, work your way up from there.

Luigiv

EatChildren said:
When turned to off you're essentially moving the cameras into the exact same place, and so the game is captured from only one angle. This is exactly how any normal screen or game looks. One image sent to both eyes, creating a flat 2D image.
This is incorrect. Switching between 2D and "lowest level 3D" is not the smooth transition you have described. There is a noticeable jump as the 2 cameras (that still have a reasonable gap between them) are replaced by a single camera. Also the parallax barrier disables when 3D is turned off so there is none of that "sending the same image to both eyes" bs. When the system is in 2D mode, the screen becomes a normal 2D screen. Both eyes see not only the same image but also the same pixels.

On top of this there is also a noticeable dip in brightness when 3D is enabled. This is because the parralax barrier blocks a little bit more then 50% of the light whilst the backlight only doubles in intensity, leaving you with a net brightness that is a touch lower.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Luigiv said:
This is incorrect. Switching between 2D and "lowest level 3D" is not the smooth transition you have described. There is a noticeable jump as the 2 cameras (that still have a reasonable gap between them) are replaced by a single camera. Also the parallax barrier disables when 3D is turned off so there is none of that "sending the same image to both eyes" bs. When the system is in 2D mode, the screen becomes a normal 2D screen. Both eyes see not only the same image but also the same pixels.

Which to the end user is practically the same. The point is that in 2D there is only one image to see. It is a flat 2D image that both of your eyes are picking up. In 3D, low or high, each eye is picking up a different image. The jump is likely caused not by two cameras shifting closer together, but switching to a single camera at a certain point.

poweld said:
I am drunk but I am certain that I want you all inside of me right now.

83fi8.gif

Vyse The Legend said:
I played with the 3DS at the NYC demo pod, and my friend, SnakeXs on here, commented that the Pilotwings 3D effect was very subtle.

I think it may just be Pilotwings; I played Street Fighter and the effect was very pronounced and great.

richisawesome said:
I have to say, Pilotwings was the least impressive in terms of 3D out of all of the games I played last month (but it was still awesome!!). Street Fighter IV was the highlight for me.

I've been hearing exactly the opposite all this time... Seems to be a very subjective thing.

Top Bottom