• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS demo station @ Best Buy

wwm0nkey

Im probably going to go check my BB later today but it would be great if more users can confirm that the demo stations are there (well at least in a lot of stores)

Sanic

My BB never gets any of these demo stations, despite being in a fairly populated area. Fingers crossed, but i'm expecting to find just Madden playing on a 360, like I always do.

Luigi87

I just tried the 3DS at a mall event up here in Canada at Square One Mall (Face Raiders, Pilotwings, and SSF4), and I agree with v0yce about Pilotwings not really showing the 3D well... I've read impressions of many in the media saying the 3D was off or something for the game, and I can sort of see that.
For the free Face Raiders, and SSF4 though, the 3D looked excellent, much like I would say those with the Japanese versions have said, particularly of the latter..

(I should note only Face Raiders, AR Games, Pilotwings, and SSF4-3D Edition seemed to be demoed).

One point about Pilotwings: Since it's a flight game, much of the time, your vehicle is a significant distance - hundreds, if not thousands, of virtual "feet" - away from the ground. Due to that distance, there's no significant difference between how the dual in-game cameras (which are only, at most, maybe 15-20 "feet" apart) see the ground, meaning that your vehicle may be the only part of the screen that appears 3D.

I suspect this is what some are complaining about, at least. Try flying closer to the terrain, and I think you might be much more impressed. I definitely was.

I just got back from playing at the chicago demo station. Very cool, fun to see in person, unlike anything Ive seen before.

I played Pilotwings, Asphalt, Nintendogs, AR game, Steel Diver.

Anyone has any specific questions/impression requests?

Luigi87

Father_Brain said:
I suspect this is what some are complaining about, at least. Try flying closer to the terrain, and I think you might be much more impressed.

That's a good point, and something I'll keep in mind for the future.

Lavpa Jasai said:
I just got back from playing at the chicago demo station. Very cool, fun to see in person, unlike anything Ive seen before.

I played Pilotwings, Asphalt, Nintendogs, AR game, Steel Diver.

Anyone has any specific questions/impression requests?

Steel Diver impressions if you wouldn't mind.
It was what I hoped to play at the event I went to, but sadly was not there.

It's what I look to pick up at launch day.

Luigi87 said:
That's a good point, and something I'll keep in mind for the future.

Steel Diver impressions if you wouldn't mind.
It was what I hoped to play at the event I went to, but sadly was not there.

It's what I look to pick up at launch day.

Honestly, that was the one I played for the shortest amount of time, b/c I wasn't very interested in it.

But from what I played, I was under water and basically i used myself to physically move the periscope or whatever back and forth and found enemy submarines. Then fired torpedo's at them. When I got hit I had to touch the spot on the bottom screen to plug up the sub.

Honestly thats the the extent I played. But i seriously barely played. I really wanted to try the 2-d areas but I didn't get a chance to.

Spike

I'm still on the fence about the colour of the unit. Please post impressions of the unit colours.

More importantly, after seeing the colours, were you set on on colour and now switched, or did it reinforce your position on the colour you originally picked.

Luigi87

Lavpa Jasai said:
Honestly, that was the one I played for the shortest amount of time, b/c I wasn't very interested in it.

But from what I played, I was under water and basically i used myself to physically move the periscope or whatever back and forth and found enemy submarines. Then fired torpedo's at them. When I got hit I had to touch the spot on the bottom screen to plug up the sub.

Honestly thats the the extent I played. But i seriously barely played. I really wanted to try the 2-d areas but I didn't get a chance to.

Ah, alrighty -- thanks.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm really trying to convince myself to buy a 3DS (EU) on launch day but struggle to find games that are worth for it. So far I've got... Pilotwings Resort. Anything else worthwhile in EU, given that Steel Diver is not making launch?

Glix

projekt84 said:
Some guy says some stuff that most people generally disagree with.

Why is this important?

Its more useful and "important" than your post. Just sayin.

I'll be checking out some Best Buys on Long Island when I get out of work. I'll update this thread if I find any setups.

swerve

Chittagong said:
I'm really trying to convince myself to buy a 3DS (EU) on launch day but struggle to find games that are worth for it. So far I've got... Pilotwings Resort. Anything else worthwhile in EU, given that Steel Diver is not making launch?

The built in stuff, especially StreetPass Legend and the camera, is well worth it.

suaveric

Does anyone else find it weird that the 3DS is still available for preorder? Everywhere still lets you buy it with a March 27th ship date. I can't believe it hasn't sold out of initial shipments yet.

Rich!

I still can't believe that my first ever experience of the 3DS was Asphalt 3D.

With the SNES, it was Super Mario World, with my N64 it was Mario 64, with the Gamecube it was the mindblowing Rogue Leader...every single first experience with a new console was remarkable.

Just wish I had played on something different first. Heh.

Glix

suaveric said:
Does anyone else find it weird that the 3DS is still available for preorder? Everywhere still lets you buy it with a March 27th ship date. I can't believe it hasn't sold out of initial shipments yet.

Yeah, this has been weirding me out too... I think most of the general public still doesn't know its coming. Nintendo has realized that its best to start advertising something once it is out, not before, at least that is the impression I get from their actions.

Spike said:
I'm still on the fence about the colour of the unit. Please post impressions of the unit colours.

More importantly, after seeing the colours, were you set on on colour and now switched, or did it reinforce your position on the colour you originally picked.

After playing the 3ds at Nintendo World I changed my pre-order from the blue to the black unit. The blue one was way too shiny and sparkly. I prefer something that doesn't stand out so much.

suaveric said:

Maybe it's just because I've been exposed to Gamestop for too long but it doesn't seem weird to me at all. I haven't decided if I want one at launch (I do but the launch games don't interest me. Learned my lesson with the DS) so if I do decide I'm figuring I'll be able to walk in somewhere and pick one up without a preorder.

Games I play on my DS though aren't day one launch titles anymore so I kind of wonder if the games coming out at launch will actually interest me years from now. May hold off until Zelda. :/

In the end both models are very good looking.

We have video evidence:

Pro blue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w18qZ1baBZI&hd=1&t=3m35s

Pro black: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB6U6Aognlk&hd=1&t=0m38s

Picture of both:

nintendo3ds005.jpg

And that settles that.

newsguy

Miami guys, just a heads up, usually the one on Kendall and 127 gets these kinds of things on time. Call them this week.

ksamedi

Played it today. I have to say I'm already looking forward to the many games that will be produced for this system in 3D. 3D may not necessarily directly affect game play, but it surely will affect game design. The depth is wonderful and you have a much better grasp of the 3D game world (Pilotwings looked great). I think many designers will have a lot of fun creating levels for their games.

I was a little disappointed with the sweet spot. A small move will lose the 3D effect. But I will probably get used to it in time.

I'm really looking forward to this system. I'm hooked to 3D games already.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Are the units on a tether so you can move them to your desired distance? Or are they secured and you have to move yourself?

Disguises

I think the issue with Pilotwings is due to the fact that the character is just really close to the screen compared to the terrain. Due to how 3D works - you either have to focus on the terrain or the character - doing so makes the other look out-of-focus - just like in real life. Suppose you might have to just get used to it.

daffy

Banned
DrForester said:
Are the units on a tether so you can move them to your desired distance? Or are they secured and you have to move yourself?
They're held in one spot, so tethered. You can't move them at all, just put your hands on the buttons and grip the handheld. Like previous in-store models.

gwarm01

The one in the OP has an extendable tether so you can move it around ad check out the whole unit. I'd imagine all of the demo stations would be the same.

Echocing an earlier sentiment, I didn't really like the sparkles on the blue unit. It kind of looks like a fishing boat, which I find tacky. Oh well, not going to cancel my preorder over something that insignificant.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
FTH said:
They're held in one spot, so tethered. You can't move them at all, just put your hands on the buttons and grip the handheld. Like previous in-store models.

The old DSi DSi XL endcaps Best Buy had you could move the units, pick them up and everything.. I'd imagine they were easy to steal though...

Ridley327

FTH said:
No, the tether has about 3-4 feet worth of slack to work with, so you can bring it up to your face if you wanted to; the magnet in the security bracket just happens to be a particularly strong one. :-D

I set our display up today and came away quite impressed with the hardware and the 3D capabilities. The 3D cranked all the way up was a bit much for my tastes, but I never got to the point of fatigue.

daffy

Banned
Ridley327 said:
No, the tether has about 3-4 feet worth of slack to work with, so you can bring it up to your face if you wanted to; the magnet in the security bracket just happens to be a particularly strong one. :-D
Really?? Cool, the Best Buy here doesn't have the slack on it, it is literally held in place so you have to lean down slightly to play it. The rep near the station even told me I couldn't bring it closer...

Nintendo setup a 3DS booth at my train station (Ogilvie) here in Chicago. I'm not a handheld guy and I haven't been following the 3DS closely, so take my comments with a grain of salt, but I was unimpressed. I played pilotwings and madden, and for both games the 3D was really lame. There wasn't nearly as much depth as I was expecting. In fact, I thought the games looked a little better without 3D. I can see it becoming a headache inducing eye sore. The thought the need for a 3D adjustment slider was kinda silly (I had it near the middle), it made the experience seem kind of half baked.

The controls felt fine, but in a world with the iphone, the 3DS plastic design felt really kiddy and cheap.

Blah.

PopcornMegaphone said:
Nintendo setup a 3DS booth at my train station (Ogilvie) here in Chicago. I'm not a handheld guy and I haven't been following the 3DS closely, so take my comments with a grain of salt, but I was unimpressed. I played pilotwings and madden, and for both games the 3D was really lame. There wasn't nearly as much depth as I was expecting. In fact, I thought the games looked a little better without 3D. I can see it becoming a headache inducing eye sore. The thought the need for a 3D adjustment slider was kinda silly (I had it near the middle), it made the experience seem kind of half baked.

The controls felt fine, but in a world with the iphone, the 3DS plastic design felt really kiddy and cheap.

Blah.

Ouch.

I played the demo units at citigroup in Chicago and was quite impressed with the 3D effect on all games and this is coming from a very jaded gamer.

First up with Steel Diver and as soon as i picked it up my eyes adjusted and i saw 3D and it was glorious. I only played the periscope mission because i dont want to spoil myself to much as i will be picking this up on release. I really dug this mode because of the 3D effect and just wanted to try everything but put it down.

Second was Pilotwings and again i don't know why some think the 3D is not very pronounced. I personally think the 3D looked strong and was really nice and enjoyed the little bit i played of pilotwings. I really like the jet pack.

Next was Asphalt and good god is that game horrible but again the 3D was damn nice.

After that i tried just a tiny bit of AR games with the dragon and didnt think much of it.

After that i hit up SSF4 and really honestly the 3D was orgasmic with this game, to bad i have always hated fighting games but good lord the KO moves in 3D made me audibly go WOW.

Last but not least i hit up star wars lego and yes there are frame hick ups now and then but to me nothing that would be game breaking and once again i thought the 3D was superb and i played about 5 to 10 minutes of this game, enough to make me decide that i would pick this game up on launch as well.

Just a quick note, the staff on hand were really nice and not to pushy with trying to explain things and force their sales pitch on me even though i never told them i had this pre-ordered since forever.

Edited to say that i came away thinking first and foremost that i'm not sure why some people say the 3D on these games is not eye opening. I think the 3D is on par with
3DTV's i have demoed. If anything i will say that the image pops out a bit more on 3DTV but 3DS in my opinion works just as well without having to put those shit glasses on.

Rich!

PopcornMegaphone said:

Blah.

You see, this is the complete opposite to what myself and my girlfriend thought when we played the 3DS and games.

Pretty much proves (along with the feedback from others), that you cannot rely on other people's thoughts and opinions when it comes to the 3D, and the console itself. Everyone seriously needs to try the 3DS out themselves before drawing a conclusion.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'll have to check tomorrow, I'd like to see this thing in person.

Do you think a pair of bolt cutters would be enough to sever the tether?

Snuggler said:
I'll have to check tomorrow, I'd like to see this thing in person.

Do you think a pair of bolt cutters would be enough to sever the tether?

Yeah, but it would do you no good. I don't think they're fully functioning retail units.

Rich!

AceBandage said:
Yeah, but it would do you no good. I don't think they're fully functioning retail units.

They seemed to be at the 3DS event I went to - we could turn the consoles off, and then when they came back on again it'd go straight into the main menu. I was even able to access the settings!

However, from the looks of the first image in this thread, the in-store demo units are locked to the game only.

daffy

Banned
richisawesome said:
You see, this is the complete opposite to what myself and my girlfriend thought when we played the 3DS and games.

Pretty much proves (along with the feedback from others), that you cannot rely on other people's thoughts and opinions when it comes to the 3D, and the console itself. Everyone seriously needs to try the 3DS out themselves before drawing a conclusion.
Yep, especially when they're not handheld guys anyway and live in an iPhone world :p

Glix

PopcornMegaphone said:

Blah.

This doesn't even make sense. Peoples eyes are spaced differently.

Top Bottom