• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Birds Is The Most Downloaded Game On PSN

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Notably, it has done this despite only launching back in January 2011.

Industry Gamers said:
PlayStation Network Gaining Traction with Casual Market
Posted April 8, 2011 by James Brightman

PlayStation Network has seen a ton of growth in recent years, and Sony was more than happy to talk about it on a PlayStation analyst day. Lazard Capital Markets' Colin Sebastian has noted that PSN is quickly becoming a more popular platform for the casual and social market, which should bode well for PS3 broadening its demographics.

"Online continues to ramp on PSN. The PSN currently has 75M registered accounts WW (half of which are in NA), with over 1.4B pieces of content downloaded since launch. PSN appears to be gaining traction tapping into the casual and social gaming market with titles such as Angry Birds which is the most downloaded game through the PSN (it was launched in January 2011). PSN is also seeing good success with freemium/microtransaction models," he said.

Sebastian noted that Sony's success in bringing more casuals to the PS3's online network could be key for the future growth of the platform. "We think this could be a significant move for PSN because it can allow casual game publishers, in addition to traditional game publishers, to leverage the PS3 as a gaming platform," he said, adding, "We were encouraged by the free-to-play demo of Sodium."
Source: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/playstation-network-gaining-traction-with-casual-market/

XTERC

I apologize for downloading this, I didn't realise the port would be so poor. Some levels are unplayable because of the screen update/input lag. There must be a lot of dissapointed people out there.

Ellis Kim

Banned
I'm sorry, GAF, I contributed to this this week since it was part of the Spring Fever sale :/ Never played AB before, so I thought I'd buy it.

I stand with that Eurogamer article's stance, though, based on having now played it :S

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
That blows my fucking mind. I thought everyone downloaded Angry Turds because it was free.

Did you see that? I called it Angry Turds instead of its actual title which is Angry Birds.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Man said:
Where are these people hiding? Wtf!?

Maybe of 2011 or so, can't be lifetime.
No, the statement definitely seems to imply lifetime since it's combined with a bunch of lifetime figures.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What's the minimum amount of sales this can possibly be, if it's lifetime? Or, basically, what's the top selling PSN game we know of? Just trying to see what revenue this could potentially bring and if it would mean much at all to Rovio compared to the Apple Store revenue. 300k? 500k?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Ah, so that's what Vesterbacka means when he says consoles are dying.

Critter Crunch or Pac-Man Championship Edition DX should be the most downloaded titles though, they are actually good.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Ohh man, all of you should be ashamed!

JK, I am very curious about the game, but I don't own any platform to play it.

Spwn

reptilescorpio said:
It's on PSN? Is it a Mini? I should go check, had no idea.
No interest in buying it anyway.

Yeah, it's a mini and I'm under the impression that there will be a "real" PS3 version with move support later this year.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Alextended said:
What's the minimum amount of sales this can possibly be, if it's lifetime? Or, basically, what's the top selling PSN game we know of? Just trying to see what revenue this could potentially bring and if it would mean much at all to Rovio compared to the Apple Store revenue. 300k? 500k?
Well considering battlefield 1943 sold about 200 to 300.000 in it's first week. It will probably have sold close to a million lifetime, right?

So angry birds +1 million?

DrXym

Angry Birds is a cute game, but god does it get boring if you play it for more than 5 minutes. It's a time killer, perfect for phones. I'm sure why in the hell it would be a popular purchase on a PS3 or PSP though.

pringles

I have the game on my iPhone and I honestly can't see why it's so popular? Just feels like you're doing the same thing over and over, lots of trial and error, etc.
Bores the hell out of me.

Rad-

Well tbh I don't think PSN has that many huge sellers. BF1943 is most likely the biggest, at around what 500-700k range? Still it's pretty crazy considering how recently they released this.

nickcv

lifa-cobex said:
Think I'll have to crack and give it a chance.

I thought it was just a passing fad on the i-phone.

eat s**t! one billion of flies cannot be wrong!

not saying the game is shit, but it's not a good reason to buy a game just because everyone else is

Grinchy

Banned
I had like $8 in my wallet. I saw this on sale for $2 and I bought it.

I actually forgot I did until seeing this thread. So I guess I should try it out now.

Majine

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I gotta agree considering things like wipeout, dead nation, super Stardust, Siren, and freaking pixeljunk games especially.
Joe Danger! Why do people seem to forget that one!?

Oh well, they still profited good.

Man

Just because it hasn't been noted yet: PSN Mini titles are available on both PS3 and PSP.
The platform audience for this is potentially 110-120 million consoles where for example Pixeljunk Shooter has a 40+million console audience.

stay gold

I didn't even know it was out on PSN.

Surprised it's still popular tbh. I bought it on my phone, was kinda sorta amusing for about 15 minutes.

Davey Cakes

The best thing about Angry Birds is that it's a time waster you can play on your phone. Why anyone would want to play it on a console is beyond me.

Put me in the "it's not that great" camp. A fun diversion, but its popularity is mind boggling.

Eccocid

DrXym said:
Angry Birds is a cute game, but god does it get boring if you play it for more than 5 minutes. It's a time killer, perfect for phones. I'm sure why in the hell it would be a popular purchase on a PS3 or PSP though.

my friend who rarely plays games (usually military FPS from time to time) played angry birds non stop for fucking 4 hours on my phone.

LCfiner

Eccocid said:
my friend who rarely plays games (usually military FPS from time to time) played angry birds non stop for fucking 4 hours on my phone.

similar situation. a friend at work who hasn't played videogames at all since the Genesis EA Hockey days is absolutely obsessed with Angry Birds and has 3 stars on all levels and has a score (checks gamecenter) of 18.6 million. it's kinda nuts.

there's something about those damn birds that gets people hooked on this game like nothing else.

it's a bit disappointing to me, on a personal level, that Angry Birds has sold so much more than other games on PSN. But it bugs me on the same level as hearing, say, ke$ha get radio airtime. I shake my head a bit and move on. I'm used to this by now.

statham

the phone is perfect for angry birds, quick games, maybe toilet games, shouldn't be popular on the PSN for shame. better games out there.

I've been stuck on level 1.3.6 for ages.

0GSY0.gif

DrXym said:

I'm not sure why a game that's suited for short session is more adapted to a phone than a handheld like the PSP.

vesterbacka was right about console gaming. we're not just dumb enough to pay $50 per game, but rovio's one-trick port outnumbers everything else on psn at four times its ios price

surely we're retarded enough to continue ignoring his cries of sanity

Hmm, this leads me to believe PSsuite is more of a brilliant idea than I originally thought.

People are going to eat up this sort of stuff. It'll probably work out really well with Sony having a presence in the home console space, portable gaming space and in the mobile space.

Top Bottom