• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Castle Shikigami [PC] Fan Translation Project [Up: 50% Complete]

cj_iwakura

Some of you probably know this game.

shikigami2ps2a.jpg
shikigami2a.jpg

Most likely for its horrible voice acting.

Despite that, it just so happens to be a good game.

Anyway, it also had a predecessor.

It... wasn't so fortunate.

mlf2a.jpg
shiki1jpps2a.jpg

The original Castle Shikigami's US release(if you can call it that) had no translation whatsoever. All the dialogue was removed.

S1b.jpg

So, myself and some equally insane volunteers are putting it back in.

snsxelargefiltered.png

We currently have a 90% script completion, for the PC game.

Expect bullets. Lots of bullets.

s1s3boss2.jpg

s1s4b3.jpg

But that can wait, yes?

Alfa.jpg

Without further adieu, the very first English screens of

settei3.jpg

Fumiko Odette Van Stein

fumi.png

soldier.png

Sayo Yuuki

sayo1.png

sayo2.png

Gennojo Hyuga
g1-1.png

g2.png

g3-1.png

Kim Dae-Jeong

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

k3.jpg

k4.jpg

k5.jpg

Tagami

tagami2.jpg

tagami3.jpg

tagami4.jpg

tagami5.jpg

Want to know how it ends? You'll have to play the game.

We'll keep you posted with updates. Stay tuned.

alfathanks.jpg

Oh, here's some music and some banners because Alfa System love you.

Banners
http://www.alfasystem.net/game/shiki/himitu.html

Animated Opening
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhoJRwkTBec&NR=1

Music

July 23rd - 0 Hour, 13 Minutes

The Closing Gate

Character Select

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
This makes me want a Castle of Shikigami IV, since III was so much fun to work on :D

I'm excited to check this out when you guys finish ;)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What on Earth was wrong with the location of Mobile Light Force 2?

cj_iwakura

Heart Attack said:
I own CSIII for wii, great game. Should i pick up II for PS2?

What dementia said. II is the best in the series, despite(if not because of!) the hilarious translation.

Here's all you need to know.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/shikigami/shikigami.htm

(I'm kind of a fan.)

The story of Shikigami 1, in a nutshell:

The first Shikigami game takes place in July 2005, the "near future". A number of victims have been found murdered, all of them female, seemingly electrocuted. After the 32nd killing, the attention of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department is finally gained. They begin an investigation, as do a number of persons drawn by the case's strong ties to the occult. What's always set Shikigami apart are the variety of playable characters. The first game offered six to choose from. The players arrive to stop the killers, while the bosses are either the killers themselves, or ghostly figures serving them.

The six are all psychic and/or spiritually gifted investigators, most of whom appear or are at least referenced to in the later two games.

i_kugaa.jpg
i_sayoa.jpg
i_hyugaa.jpg

i_fumikoa.jpg
i_kima.jpg
tagami2a.jpg

The outlier is Tagami, a cameo from Alfa System's amazing lightgun shooter, Elemental Gearbolt.

Gennojo, Fumiko, Kohtaro, and Sayo are all in Shikigami 3.

Kim is gone, but his niece is in Shiki 3 with his moveset.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
cj_iwakura said:
What dementia said. II is the best in the series, despite(if not because of!) the hilarious translation.

Here's all you need to know.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/shikigami/shikigami.htm

(I'm kind of a fan.)

The story of Shikigami 1, in a nutshell:

The first Shikigami game takes place in July 2005, the "near future". A number of victims have been found murdered, all of them female, seemingly electrocuted. After the 32nd killing, the attention of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department is finally gained. They begin an investigation, as do a number of persons drawn by the case's strong ties to the occult. What's always set Shikigami apart are the variety of playable characters. The first game offered six to choose from. The players arrive to stop the killers, while the bosses are either the killers themselves, or ghostly figures serving them.

The six are all psychic and/or spiritually gifted investigators, most of whom appear or are at least referenced to in the later two games.

i_kugaa.jpg
i_sayoa.jpg
i_hyugaa.jpg

i_fumikoa.jpg
i_kima.jpg
tagami2a.jpg

The outlier is Tagami, a cameo from Alfa System's amazing lightgun shooter, Elemental Gearbolt.

Gennojo, Fumiko, Kohtaro, and Sayo are all in Shikigami 3.

Kim is gone, but his niece is in Shiki 3 with his moveset.

Isn't Tagami
Freedom Wind from part III aka Fumiko's step mother? They both have that long blonde hair and both use the Holy Gun NP-01 XD Or maybe they just made them look similar on purpose haha

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
cj_iwakura said:
Neat theory, but no; because Tagami's not a woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX-W7ZpipDg

She's genderless. I think it's referential fanservice.

Well,
even though she's Fumiko's "step mother", doesn't mean she can't still be genderless XD

The reason I make the comparison is due to them both possessing the Holy Gun NP-01 (coming out of their arm), both have the same long blonde hair, and both have similar Elemental Gearbolt "leyline/circuit" patterns on their clothing.

Though the art I have that shows that might not have been officially released lol

dragonlife said:
I bought III for Wii around its release. I'm really bad at it :(

LOVE your avatar! :D Did someone rip all the bust art from the game somewhere :3?

cj_iwakura

The weirdest line in all of Shikigami 3 was when Freedom Wind says(to Fumiko and Emilio, I think) was 'I would have preferred a Federer reference, myself.'

(Either that or when Tsukiko does an Elvis impersonation.)

Anyway, it was Shikigami 3's localization that cemented Aksys as one of the best publishers ever. I bought a Wii for that game, no joke.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
cj_iwakura said:
The weirdest line in all of Shikigami 3 was when Freedom Wind says(to Fumiko and Emilio, I think) was 'I would have preferred a Federer reference, myself.'

Anyway, it was Shikigami 3's localization that cemented Aksys as one of the best publishers ever. I bought a Wii for that game, no joke.

Aww <3

We really wanted to release the 360 version in tandem as well, but alas the powers that be said it wouldn't be so XD

cj_iwakura said:

LOL. That game is all over the place, even in the Japanese version. I think the original conversation for that tennis reference was an NPB player, and the Tsukiko line was an imitation of some Japanese singer.

dragonlife said:
I bought III for Wii around its release. I'm really bad at it :(

Ditto. It's the only bullet hell shooter I haven't been able to at least just squeeze a victory out of. I can't even get past stage 3.

Maybe it's because I've gotten older. You know. Slower reflexes. Poor eyesight. Waiting for Matlock to air. Those sort of things.

scored Shikigami 1 (Mobile Light Force 2) and Shikigami II from ebay for $5 both. What arcade stick would you guys recommend for ps2?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'M ROGER SASOOKAY. I'M A WORLD NINJA!

Why would anyone want to play a Castle Shikigami game with a localization not up to the standard set by II? Those screens are so bland in comparison.

cj_iwakura

gatotsu911 said:
Why would anyone want to play a Castle Shikigami game with a localization not up to the standard set by II? Those screens are so bland in comparison.

We're translating the game's original story, not making a mockery of it. If it's any consolation, the original script certainly has its silly moments, which I plan to keep intact.

That said, how could I name the OP after Kohtaro and not show him some love?
Let's fix that, yes?

Just the first couple stages, so we can have some surprises.

Viewable at our facebook page since that's what the cool kids seem to be doing, but I don't suppose this project will garner the devout following of, say, Mother 3 or Soul Hackers.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
cj_iwakura wanted me to let you guys know that they have started moving forward with the translation, since they cracked the game and have a sample picture with English text input into it:

shikitest.png

cj_iwakura

Heads up, justice seekers.

tj.png

Kohtarou Kuga's campaign is now 95% playable in English.

So, do you want an early look?

Aren't you the lucky one.

It's beta testing time.

Prerequisites-

*Fairly talented at shmups, particularly danmaku. This is not an easy game.
*Keen eye for glitches, and familiarity with good and/or bad writing.
I'm responsible for the 'localization' of the script, which was translated by volunteers, so I'll take your criticism directly, and apply it as needed. Bonus if you speak Japanese.
I can provide the original script for comparison.

That's about it. Send me a PM if you're interested, all comers welcome.

cj_iwakura

Fumiko's script is 100% complete and playable as of now.

soldier.png

(The circled region is a small glitch occurring as the result of our patch, but blink and you miss it.)

Remaining: Sayo, Kim, Tagami, and Gennojo. Them, the endings, the gallery, and the credits, and the game is pretty much done, pending some touch up work(and possibly title screen shenanigans).

cj_iwakura

Script implementation is now at 50%.

Some nagging visual glitches, but for the most part, Ms. Sayo Yuuki is ready to go.

sayo1.png

sayo2.png

cj_iwakura

Are you ready to see localized Shikigami in action?

Then do I have the video for you!

http://www.twitch.tv/cj_iwakura/b/307584042

This is a recording of Fumiko's playthrough, completely in English.

The ending still has yet to be patched, but that's due soon.

Disclaimer: I am not very good. In fact, I kind of suck.
But it's the translation that I mean to show off, first and foremost.

Interestingly, I'm going to finally get one of the Castle of Shikigami album releases later this month. Not too acquainted with the games themselves, but the music could be interesting.

I actually don't—Chris Greening from Square Enix Music Online is trying to ship it to me alongside some other albums I'm getting as overdue Christmas gifts. It'll be a surprise!

To be fair, that is a possibility regarding the track credits. But, since the VGMdb page for III doesn't specify specific credits for the new composer, I'll have to guess by listening to each respective soundtrack and making conclusions about any stylistic development. I've done this before.

cj_iwakura

I actually don't—Chris Greening from Square Enix Music Online is trying to ship it to me alongside some other albums I'm getting as overdue Christmas gifts. It'll be a surprise!

To be fair, that is a possibility regarding the track credits. But, since the VGMdb page for III doesn't specify specific credits for the new composer, I'll have to guess by listening to each respective soundtrack and making conclusions about any stylistic development. I've done this before.

Awesome. Well, if you don't want them, you know someone who does. :p

BOTEC

Oh snap! First time I'm hearing of this, and I approve. More Shikigami is good Shikigami. I want IV already Alfa. ;_;

Technical question. I don't have the PC version of 1, but I do have the Xbox Evolution (Red) port. Will this patch be compatible, or ported in the future?

cj_iwakura

Good eye. That's why I have testers. :p

I'm currently working on a mod of the title screen, because yeah; I do want to translate it.

title2.png

title2e.png

That's a rough concept, mind you.

Oh snap! First time I'm hearing of this, and I approve. More Shikigami is good Shikigami. I want IV already Alfa. ;_;

Technical question. I don't have the PC version of 1, but I do have the Xbox Evolution (Red) port. Will this patch be compatible, or ported in the future?

Unfortunately, no, this is based off of the PC build. Not to say it's impossible, since I bet it uses the same format, but not immediately.

Needs. More. Aja Bros.
HA!HMM! BROOOOOOOO!

BROO!
BROOOO!!
BROOOOOO!!!!

No meeting if no war.

You me NOTHING.

Dance your heart out with friendship! Here I come!

Holy crap, from that last video:

Roger...my god. Just...damn. First you cant even pronounce your own MADE UP name right (admits his real name is Roy Bauman and that his parents are actors) and now THIS!!!

That means Roger's father is the Stage 4 boss of Shikigami 1.

DAMN YOUR CONVOLUTED PLOTS, ALFASYS!

<3

cj_iwakura

Okay! Thanks to a certain photoshop guru I know, we has options:

castlel.jpg

iWpnxE8tAA7Zf.jpg

castle2m.jpg

I love the first one, but no one seems to like vertical orientation. :(

It's still up in the air, these are just test mock-ups.

cj_iwakura

Funny, I think they all look better than my MSP effort.

Maybe I have leisurely standards.

But I'm glad someone else likes it.

By the by, I could do it horizontally, a la
943037_99004_front.jpg

but I'd rather keep the vertical motif if possible.

The option of keeping the JP cover and just putting subs beside it is also viable.

title2.png

cj_iwakura

So taking the advice into account, someone decided to conjure this up:

snsxelargefiltered.png

WIP, of course.

Gennojo Hyuga, come on down!

g1-1.png

g2.png

g3-1.png

Two characters left!

Top Bottom