• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle Shikigami's visual novel/shmup: Nanayozuki Gensoukyoku

cj_iwakura

For some odd reason, some crazy, lovable lunatics at Alfa System decided that Castle Shikigami, a trilogy of curtain fire shmups, deserved a visual novel.

gensou.jpg

I just got a copy.

I swear Alfa System designed this game for the most die-hard Shiki fans imaginable(like your truly).

Here's some screens.

From the opening (Which I've never seen!)

007.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

Title screen:
011.jpg

Gennojo and other stuff:
012.jpg

013.jpg

Book!

014.jpg

015.jpg

When we finish the Shikigami 1 translation, I know what's high on my to-do list.

This game is pure unadulterated Shikigami fan service.

Tsukiko Johjima is the final boss of Shikigami 3, for those not in the know.
tsukiko.jpg

Her appearance in NG is... well, different.

gensou-2.jpg

Yes, it's a shmup/VN hybrid.

What could go wrong?

cj_iwakura

And here's a fun fact from someone who's hacked an Alfa System game inside and out: the font and coding is almost exactly the same as SnS1.

Translating this would take forever and a day in comparison, though.

shaowebb

A visual novel game? For Castle Shikigami?

O_O

I WILL BE DOING ROGER SASUKE'S
(mispronounced saw soo kay) STORY ARCHIVE AND FISHING FOR THE GOOD END WITH KO AND NO ONE CAN STOP ME!!!!

lW6CQ.jpg

I main Roger for LIFE.
Bombs+Cheesey dialogue and flaming innuendo? Best run ever. Rewarding in every hilarious way.

cj_iwakura

I can't see this game getting a translation for a long time. And I'm not sure how large and dedicated the SnS fanbase is.

I wrote more about the series in my HG101 article than exists anywhere on the internet. Believe me, I looked.

It's not very big at all.

And yes, Roger is in this. AND HE'S HILARIOUS.

Also, the game is fully voiced.

cj_iwakura

I've always wondered where they came up with Tsukiko. For someone who was the last game's big bad, she sure came out of nowhere for this.

She was in some manga, too.

GoodsImageShousetsu_Kuga.jpg

Far as I know, there was no mention of her in Shiki 2.

(She's a bed-ridden lover of Kohtaro's, and a specter of her in Shiki 3 lays into him for 'abandoning' her.)

shaowebb

I wrote more about the series in my HG101 article than exists anywhere on the internet. Believe me, I looked.

It's not very big at all.

And yes, Roger is in this. AND HE'S HILARIOUS.

Also, the game is fully voiced.

YES.

Un2W0.jpg

^*Excited fangirl squeal from Roge-LYN ;D*

This pleases Roger greatly. BTW what on Earth is he yelling during his Super in Shikigami 2? I want to know so I can yell it out next time I play <3
No idea what he says or what it means, but I bet its pure gold.

shaowebb

I was unaware of Shaowebb's infatuation with devilish rogues.

I did an Engrish panel several years ago at a convention in WV and tied for most attendees. Castle Shikigami 2 was my closer. I have every game in the series including the Mobile Light Force Gunbird thing with Milfbot. This was my first big shmup title that got me interested in diving further. Earlier this year I took the plunge on Cave shooters and since then my collection has exploded with shmups.

Shikigami was my first and Roger will be my forever main. Day ONE.

cj_iwakura

agreed. i would play this for awesomely bad translations alone.

if i were able to get past the translations, do the shikigami games actually have a plot? it seems like they might, but what we got in english is primarily nonsense.

For fear of being a shill, yes.

There is a LOT going on in Shikigami's mythos.

Shikigami 1 is largely serious, 2 is largely silly, 3 is a little of both.

Well, okay, 3 is mostly silly, but the serious stuff is pretty serious.

Worth noting that I didn't know as much about Shikigami 1's plot at the time. Having finished the translation, I know a LOT more about it, and can safely say it has a damn good plot, full of WTF twists.

For fear of being a shill, yes.

There is a LOT going on in Shikigami's mythos.

Shikigami 1 is largely serious, 2 is largely silly, 3 is a little of both.

Well, okay, 3 is mostly silly, but the serious stuff is pretty serious.

Worth noting that I didn't know as much about Shikigami 1's plot at the time. Having finished the translation, I know a LOT more about it, and can safely say it has a damn good plot, full of WTF twists.

thanks, ill read through this. i have played more of two than either of the others, and at least half of the reason i played it as much as i did was to laugh at the dialogue.

cj_iwakura

Even though it'd be like ten times the work(Shikigami 2 added two player story modes and all), I'd love to retranslate it so people could experience the plot without the XS Games Engrish Filter.

Though fair warning, even legitimately translated, Alfa System games tend to expect the players to piece a lot of stuff together on their own.

Top Bottom