• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragons: What if they did exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your not interested in watching the documentary, then please move to another thread. The title isn't just an open question, but rather an invite to the video

saint_george_and_the_dragon_by_paolo_uccello_london_01-958x340.jpg

A couple of years ago I was watching an Animal Planet documentary half way through that depicted the discovery of the bones of the legendary creature in a glacier. It was such a good documentary in terms of its presentation that you could be forgiven for thinking momentarily it was non-fiction. It's narrated by Patrick Stewart and thankfully it's online. For anyone whose always had a keen interest in dragons, you will absolutely love this.

Watch dragons come to life

For further reading, here is an article that approaches the subject.

Is there anything that's anathema to science and rational thought that you haven't made a post on yet? Everyone knows the last dragons died centuries ago during the reign of the targaryens anyway.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wallach said:
Dang, he's stickin' him right in the nose, what a dick.

And he's doing that to this woman's pet too, major dick move.

3N16MA said:
I thought they did?

The documentary is 90mins long but if you don't want to watch it, you can read the short article in the link that covers the main points (why they may have vs why they did not).

Gaf, don't derail this thread please. Watch the documentary and then hate the thread if you like. It is a fictional representation - you hipsters will eat it up

Wallach

Ether_Snake said:
And he's doing that to this woman's pet too, major dick move.

I know! She's all "Hey, look at this dragon I just adopted, he's had a hard life what with him not having arms" and he's just like "BAM, RIGHT IN THE SNORTER". Fuck that guy.

People would be like the movie "How to Train Your Dragon"..I wouldn't mind mini dragons like the ones in the harry potter film where they picked what dragon they would face in Goblet of Fire.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Magic would have to exist as well, as the physics of actuated-wing flight are impossible for something that large.

So YAY MAGIC!

DonMigs85

The_Technomancer said:
Magic would have to exist as well, as the physics of actuated-wing flight are impossible for something that large.

So YAY MAGIC!
According to the show, they have hollow bones and some sort of hydrogen sac in their bodies to help them achieve lift-off. However this same hydrogen supply is also used for their flame breath, so they have to use it sparingly.

Takao

Banned
I'd gather 7 mystical balls with my blue haired friend, and her spiky haired wide eyed friend to have it grant my one wish!

Treo360

Huh, they remade this with Sir Patrick narrating it? I remember when this first came out and used the narrative from the research student who proposed that his T-Rex find has scars and charring from a Dragon.

I think they're more interesting as symbols or myths, anyways. I think the role they play in myth is largely for this reason. A dragon is essentially a serpent with wings, and serpents are very adaptable animals, they can live in the trees, or in the earth, in a desert, or in the water. They're also typically associated with the Cthonic, or related to the earth... so add wings, and you have a creature that is master of both earth and sky, an alchemical unification of opposing elements. Maybe it's just a kind of unconscious archetypal thing, personally I'd probably find that more interesting.

yep i remember watching this show a few years ago. from the commercials they made it sound like they really did find dragons or something

was so disappoint :(

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
effingvic said:
yep i remember watching this show a few years ago. from the commercials they made it sound like they really did find dragons or something

was so disappoint :(
So you got suckered in by typical TV advertisements? I hope you learnt a valuable lesson.

methos75 said:
Every ancient culture has Dragon Myths, makes you think
A lot of the same ancient cultures believed in supernatural deities as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom