• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragons: What if they did exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I would have epic battles with them with all powerful swords.

MarthVsMedeus.jpg

Also wear no pants.

Meus Renaissance said:
Game of Thrones. Best TV since Spartacus

That was my guess, but I honestly didn't know GOT/Song of Ice and Fire had dragons. For some reason I thought it was a medieval soap opera with very minor fantasy elements.

TekkenMaster said:
That was my guess, but I honestly didn't know GOT/Song of Ice and Fire had dragons. For some reason I thought it was a medieval soap opera with very minor fantasy elements.

Yeah, that's why it's such a spoiler. It sort of comes out of nowhere.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Yeah, that's why it's such a spoiler. It sort of comes out of nowhere.
Ya I know, like all those scenes prominently featuring the dragon eggs in previous episodes ;)

XMonkey said:
Ya I know, like all those scenes prominently featuring the dragon eggs in previous episodes ;)

That's a bit like saying giving away the twist ending to the sixth sense or fight club isn't a spoiler because there were hints and clues dropped earlier. We were led to believe the dragon eggs were inert, or fossilized, or something. I certainly never expected them to hatch, especially given how little prominence the supernatural has had in the series to that point (witch casting a spell, zombies only coming up once or twice).

Zaptruder

Banned
Glasswork said:
I think he means the Western 6 limbed version, not the wyvern-like ones.

Why would his statement preclude 6 limbed dragons and not 4 limbed dragon-like creatures?

It's about the articulation of the limbs and the physics that don't support them, rather than the lack of large 6 limbed creatures (or their antecedents) in evolutionary history (which would be one direction to go with regards to arguing implausibility).

XMonkey said:
Yeah once they started showing her focusing on the eggs a lot and her sudden realisation that her brother wasnt the Dragon i had a strong suspicion that we would get to see the eggs hatch plus when they showed that she couldnt be hurt by fire it made it clear that there was more to the Dragon name than just their animal of choice.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Zaptruder said:
Why would his statement preclude 6 limbed dragons and not 4 limbed dragon-like creatures?

It's about the articulation of the limbs and the physics that don't support them, rather than the lack of large 6 limbed creatures (or their antecedents) in evolutionary history (which would be one direction to go with regards to arguing implausibility).
Even the largest flying dinosaurs didn't have wingspans over 30 or so feet. I guess that's an alright size for a dragon, probably makes it teen feet long from head to rear legs or so, but when I think dragon I think enormous behemoth fifty+ foot long beast with a wingspan over a hundred.

Zaptruder

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Even the largest flying dinosaurs didn't have wingspans over 30 or so feet. I guess that's an alright size for a dragon, probably makes it teen feet long from head to rear legs or so, but when I think dragon I think enormous behemoth fifty+ foot long beast with a wingspan over a hundred.

Still, even if it is the case that physics preclude such a possibility, what I wanted to know was why it precludes such a possibility, because such a statement is not obvious in its veracity to some one that hasn't studied in that field to any great depth.

The_Technomancer said:

It also depends how narrowly or broadly we're defining "dragon". I mean most flying dinosaurs would have been called dragons had they lived at the same time humans did. As far as I know not all dragons from various mythologies even have wings, nor do they all breathe fire. The fact that we call them all "dragons" is probably just because the translators called them that back in the day because it was the closest fit for an English word.

V_Arnold

I'd wager there were several entities with the form of a dragon in this plane. Quetzalcoatl must have been one, as it has been pictured as a "dragon" before. They will obviously not appear and fly around in this era, for many reasons.

Zaptruder

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
It also depends how narrowly or broadly we're defining "dragon". I mean most flying dinosaurs would have been called dragons had they lived at the same time humans did. As far as I know not all dragons from various mythologies even have wings, nor do they all breathe fire. The fact that we call them all "dragons" is probably just because the translators called them that back in the day because it was the closest fit for an English word.

This post has suddenly made me curious about what other similar mythological creatures pop up cross cultures and why they have these similarities.

I mean dragons are essentially large, powerful, flying, reptiles. Those are the points of commonality among all dragons (drop the flying and they become dinosaurs).

Why would multiple cultures come up with similar mythological concepts?

What is the root phenomena that explains them? Coincidence? A particular creature type? Export of culture? A common root history between different cultures and civilizations?

Zaptruder said:
This post has suddenly made me curious about what other similar mythological creatures pop up cross cultures and why they have these similarities.

I mean dragons are essentially large, powerful, flying, reptiles. Those are the points of commonality among all dragons (drop the flying and they become dinosaurs).

What is the root phenomena that explains them? Coincidence? A particular creature type? Export of culture? A common root history between different cultures and civilizations?
Human beings are instinctively afraid of snakes and plenty of dragons are more like giant serpents.

The Technomancer

Zaptruder said:
Still, even if it is the case that physics preclude such a possibility, what I wanted to know was why it precludes such a possibility, because such a statement is not obvious in its veracity to some one that hasn't studied in that field to any great depth.
To be fair, its something I read, but now that I'm being called on it I actually started doing some mental physics. Its less about the physics of actual flight and more about the physics of musculature.
If we reduce the flight problem to simply flapping the wings with enough force to elevate the body mass of the dragon then it becomes a problem of generating torque. Now its certainly not unheard of (actually pretty common) to be able to lift your own body mass, but the dragon has the additional problem of it being a perpendicular load to the direction of the limb, which funnels all of that force directly into the dragon's "wing-shoulders" trying to separate them from its body.

Now of course all flying animals face these issues, but at that point it becomes a matter of the infamous "inverse square" law that pokes holes in all the giant insect monster movies. And this is where I could be completely wrong about the actual size of the limit, but a limit does exist where the required wingspan to elevate a creature outpaces the physical possibilities of it sustaining those wings.

Zaptruder said:

Did native Americans or Aboriginal Australians have dragons? I have never heard of them if they did. Europe and Asia most certainly did have contact, not least because they both came from the same place (Africa) originally. Even so, Chinese Dragons and European Dragons have very little in common. The reason I was mentioning this before is because I think it's very strange that you could use the same word to describe this:

500px-Chinese_Dragon_Banner.svg.png

and this:

Ljubljana_dragon.JPG

The only commonality really being "giant lizards", It's vague enough that I'm content with the notion that they could have been invented independently.

Zaptruder

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
To be fair, its something I read, but now that I'm being called on it I actually started doing some mental physics. Its less about the physics of actual flight and more about the physics of musculature.
If we reduce the flight problem to simply flapping the wings with enough force to elevate the body mass of the dragon then it becomes a problem of generating torque. Now its certainly not unheard of (actually pretty common) to be able to lift your own body mass, but the dragon has the additional problem of it being a perpendicular load to the direction of the limb, which funnels all of that force directly into the dragon's "wing-shoulders" trying to separate them from its body.

Now of course all flying animals face these issues, but at that point it becomes a matter of the infamous "inverse square" law that pokes holes in all the giant insect monster movies. And this is where I could be completely wrong about the actual size of the limit, but a limit does exist where the required wingspan to elevate a creature outpaces the physical possibilities of it sustaining those wings.

Fair enough. It is an amusing notion to think that the only possibility of flight with these giant creatures is through the use of rigid wing structures that employ the lift effect.

*pictures a dragon with 747 wings in place of normal dragon wings*.

Somehow, it makes them seem less plausible.

Tarazet

Zaptruder said:
Fair enough. It is an amusing notion to think that the only possibility of flight with these giant creatures is through the use of rigid wing structures that employ the lift effect.

*pictures a dragon with 747 wings in place of normal dragon wings*.

Somehow, it makes them seem less plausible.

I subscribe to the "frilled lizard" theory of why dragons are depicted with wings. It's not too much of a stretch to see one of those guys, and expect his king-size daddy to be nearby.

Meus Renaissance said:

Watch dragons come to life

For further reading, here is an article that approaches the subject.

I just watched that video and it was awesome.

A bit of a tangent, but I had a friend tell me the other day that if no one today knew what a whale was and someone found some bones, science could not determine if it swam in the water or lived on land. Pretty sure he's an idiot, but it made me think of dragons.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
They do. They're just hiding. We'll see them in 2012 as the head of shadowy conglomerates.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
scar tissue said:
pterosaurs now had feathers too?
fucking hell...childhood ruined

All is not lost... (if you're ok with hairy flying beasts) So far the concensus seems to be there is no evidence of pterosaur feathers. Those are pycnofibres:

At least some pterosaurs were covered with hair-like filaments known as pycnofibres, similar to but not homologous (sharing a common structure) with mammalian hair. Pycnofibres were not true hair as seen in mammals, but a unique structure that developed a similar appearance through convergent evolution. Although in some cases actinofibrils (internal structural fibres) in the wing membrane have been mistaken for pycnofibres or true hair, some fossils such as those of Sordes pilosus (which translates as "hairy demon") and Jeholopterus ninchengensis do show the unmistakable imprints of pycnofibres on the head and body, not unlike modern-day bats, another example of convergent evolution.[17] The presence of pycnofibres (and the demands of flight) imply that pterosaurs were endothermic (warm-blooded).

The term "pycnofibre", meaning "dense filament", was first coined in a paper on the soft tissue impressions of Jeholopterus by palaeontologist Alexander W.A. Kellner and colleagues in 2009.[10]

ROFL said:
All is not lost... (if you're ok with hairy flying beasts) So far the concensus seems to be there is no evidence of pterosaur feathers. Those are pycnofibres:
so...pterosaurs are sort of like bats, huh?
furry with leathery wings
reptiles with fur...back in my day, that kind of shit didn't exist

not sure i like the recent developments in paleontology, but at least they're hairs, not fucking feathers
velociraptors are dead to me. DEAD.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I was reading something the other day that had a fun take on dragons. "If the universe needs them to exist, they exist, if not, then they cease to exist." Something along those lines. Saying that mythical creatures and other such things would have existed at some point in our history, but when the universe no longer had any need of such things, they were simply physically removed from existence and history, leaving only stories and myth but no actual evidence. Some corny hippie shit in many ways but still thought it was kind of a neat take on it.

Qwomo

scar tissue said:
so...pterosaurs are sort of like bats, huh?
furry with leathery wings
reptiles with fur...back in my day, that kind of shit didn't exist

not sure i like the recent developments in paleontology, but at least they're hairs, not fucking feathers
velociraptors are dead to me. DEAD.
Velociraptors have always been the size of chickens.

The Technomancer

siddx said:
I was reading something the other day that had a fun take on dragons. "If the universe needs them to exist, they exist, if not, then they cease to exist." Something along those lines. Saying that mythical creatures and other such things would have existed at some point in our history, but when the universe no longer had any need of such things, they were simply physically removed from existence and history, leaving only stories and myth but no actual evidence. Some corny hippie shit in many ways but still thought it was kind of a neat take on it.
Sounds like Discworld, specifically Guards, Guards!

Zzoram

methos75 said:
Every ancient culture has Dragon Myths, makes you think

Dinosaur bones.

Dragons would've died out if they did exist, since they would've been like the flying dinosaurs, and suffered the same fate.

This was such a lame documentary... And it used to get so much late-night play from Animal Planet and its sister sites I couldn't f-ing stand it.

Xeke

Banned
CrunchyFrog said:
really gaf? no mention yet of
1807776024p.jpg

Most prominent example of a realistic take on dragons and their effects on the modern world, even down to a scientific explanation as to how they breath fire.

I got my first bj during that movie, in the theatre.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Did native Americans or Aboriginal Australians have dragons? I have never heard of them if they did. Europe and Asia most certainly did have contact, not least because they both came from the same place (Africa) originally. Even so, Chinese Dragons and European Dragons have very little in common. The reason I was mentioning this before is because I think it's very strange that you could use the same word to describe this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ac/Chinese_Dragon_Banner.svg/500px-Chinese_Dragon_Banner.svg.pngmg]

and this:

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/Ljubljana_dragon.JPGg]

The only commonality really being "giant lizards", It's vague enough that I'm content with the notion that they could have been invented independently.[/quote]

I disagree about the similarity (or lack of) point. Whilst Asian dragons did not have wings, they did fly. So you had depictions of large flying reptilian animals. The only real difference is that they were not known to breathe fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom