• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragons: What if they did exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
params7 said:
If they existed we'd be dead.

10zzbpg.gif

That red dragon's a bitch. Soon as I level up enough I'm gonna fuck him up

really gaf? no mention yet of
1807776024p.jpg

Most prominent example of a realistic take on dragons and their effects on the modern world, even down to a scientific explanation as to how they breath fire.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
methos75 said:
Every ancient culture has Dragon Myths, makes you think

Every ancient cultures found dinosaur bones.

Heck, an elephant skull probably started the cyclops myths.

j64c52.jpg

rpmurphy

Valhalla said:
hmmmm...what did you have to type into google to find this image? or was it saved on your hard drive? :D
I heard on the internets that dragon dildos are all the new rage.

Ether_Snake said:
Every ancient cultures found dinosaur bones.

Heck, an elephant skull probably started the cyclops myths.

The dinosaur fossil is the predominant, and strongest imo, hypothesis that explains this. However what I'd like to know is how they all interpreted a reptilian creature (with descriptions of scales) that breathed fire from them.

In the 19th century, there were legends and rumours of a hairy 'man beast' and it was only in the early 20th century these were discovered; the gorilla. Here's hoping for that find in a glacier somewhere!

Zaptruder

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Magic would have to exist as well, as the physics of actuated-wing flight are impossible for something that large.

So YAY MAGIC!

Explain?

What about flying dinosaurs?

njean777

After reading that article, I still believe they may have existed as it comes up with a great counter point to the naysayers. But I still find it hard to believe they breathed fire.

Meus Renaissance said:
Seems to have been marketing on Microsoft's part for Too Human, according to Google

http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2008/03/28/530895.html

Yeah I know. The Goblin is the Goblin character model from in the game. I've said it over on Gaming-Age a couple of times now, but I think the ideas behind Too Human were fucking amazing, which really made it hurt when the game sucked so bad and the story of the game was just meh.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Yeah I know. The Goblin is the Goblin character model from in the game. I've said it over on Gaming-Age a couple of times now, but I think the ideas behind Too Human were fucking amazing, which really made it hurt when the game sucked so bad and the story of the game was just meh.

But how is the discovery of a high tech mechanical humanoid thousands of years old more plausible?

methos75

Banned
Stating they were based on Fossils alone is a bit iffy. for starters the Indonesians myths about Dragons were based around the Komodo Dragon, an animal thought to be myth till 1912. There is also ample evidence that the Australian aborigines dragon myths are derived from prehistoric encounters with a true horrifying beast, Megalinia a 23 foot long monster Monitor Lizard. the same goes for other mythological Beast such as the Unicorn which many now believe was based around encounters with Elasmotherium. There is more actual encounters that myths such as this came about due to human interaction with large now extinct beast, that just finding fossils

Meus Renaissance said:
But how is the discovery of a high tech mechanical humanoid thousands of years old more plausible?

It would never happen, but the notion that technological civilization has already risen and fallen on Earth at some point in what we know as our prehistory (but during which time our brains were just as developed as they are now, there were several hundreds of thousands of years between "modern man develops" and "recorded history begins") is fairly tame, except that we have no evidence that it did. Certainly there was a possibility of developing technology (they had the brains for it, the hands for it etc), but again, we should have expected to see their remnants if they did exist.

The fire-breathing dinosaur that survived to coexist with humans has the same problem (no real evidence, where evidence should expect to be found of an animal that is supposed to have existed a mere couple of thousand years ago), then another in that no animal has ever been known to breathe fire, nor is it clear how that could have evolved if they did, nor is there evidence of related but different systems in living animals.

Blackface

Banned
I was watching a documentary about ancient civilizations I think in Natgeo before. They said what really baffles scientists/historians is there are cultures that never ever came in contact with each-other. They never knew each-other existed, and were around thousands of years apart. Yet drew pictures of "dragon" like creatures identical to each-other. They still have no idea how.

I remember watching this y ears ago.

I believe they existed and that they still do.

Theres so many things in this world that we are still finding and learning about. Hell, just a few days/ weeks ago they discovered another completely isolated tribe.

So yeah, They may not be the huge beast of tales and they may not shoot out fire ... but I think they can be out there.

I believe.

Wallach

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Worse. Australian internet.

Usually it's fast for me though. I'll have to check for problems on my end.

Hopefully your cap isn't too small, as you're wasting 6MB on that gif. :p

Dennis

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Reign of Fire.

Dennis is a cunt for spoiling Game of Thrones, lol.
There has to be some kind of limitations on what is a spoiler or everything becomes off limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom