• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Franchise bitching thread

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It seems that every thread about Mass Effect 3 discusses the actual new news about ME3 for a page or two, and then devolves into a 10 page discussion about how BioWare has proven with Mass Effect 2 that Mass Effect 3 is going to suck, even when discussing aspects of Mass Effect 3 that haven't been revealed yet.
Healthy cynicism is all well and good, but the most recent page of the James Vega + optional armor thread doesn't contain a single mention of three of the four characters, and the one that it does (Liara) is completely within the context of discussing the previous games.
It feels like the same discussion just keeps migrating threads every time a new Mass Effect thread becomes the main one.
So inspired by Nirolak's "MW3 vs BF3 garbage thread" lets have us one centralized place to complain about all things Mass Effect, and try to keep the ME3 preview threads on topic about the actual information revealed in them.

Here, I'll start us off:
Sennorin said:
You know, Im still a junior so I cannot create new threads, but it would be an interesting thread that goes like "Who believes that ME3 will have a satisfying ending? - aka The Anti-Lost".

I don't!

Ceebs

"Who believes that ME3 will have a satisfying ending?"

I still think you are going to be buying it as DLC. Like there will be a big showdown and Sheppard will get closure, but you are forking out 10 bucks a pop to give closure to your crewmates.

Vamphuntr

Why did they have to make a terminator baby :(

That destroyed a huge part of the plot and the lore for me. I was under the impression that reapers were cold machines that despised organic beings but they had to retcon that into a ridiculous plot twist. They needed all of these humans to make 1 terminator reaper. What was the point since they already had an army (you see a glimpse of it at the end of ME2 and in the trailers for ME 3).

And someone said I was crazy to say ME2(and ME in general) was receiving any sort of backfire.

I'll probably play ME3. I don't hate the sires, but I don't have strong feelings for it. ME1 has a big disappointment for me and two is just a fun game. I know a lot of gamers thing the world of this series, for me they are just solid games I play because I'm a gamer.

Replicant

I never played the 1st one so I don't have as many gripe. Except for that annoying ship mission(s) where you have to mine data while being attacked by mechs.

And oh, it needs better/more variety of male character's hair. The selection in ME2 is shocking.

I need to go on record as the guy who loved piloting the Mako.

The guy.

It was awesome! I spent so much time taking that fucking thing off big-ass jumps and just acting like a space asshole. I loved it. I understood the hate, I guess, but I found it remarkably fun. They replaced it with mineral scanning in the second game. I never finished the second game. RELATED?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
People should complain less about Mass Effect 2 and more about Mass Effect 1. The latter game was broken, filled with bloat, had universally boring characters (except for Wrex and Ashley), re-used bland locations almost as much as Dragon Age 2, was mediocre at story and dialogue and downright bad at gameplay. It was a fundamentally dumbed-down game and a significant step down from Baldur's Gate 2.

ME2 had problems, sure, but the action was actually half-competent and the characters were infinitely more interesting. The writing was generally better (the Mordin Solus stuff was a clear standout) and the scenarios were less repetitive and more distinct. There were inconsistencies and retcons from the first game, of course, but who cares when the first game was so mediocre?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Feels like we just need a Bioware bitchfrst thread. Everything they do will get the same treatment, even the new Ultima game (lol)

IndieJones said:

The guy.

It was awesome! I spent so much time taking that fucking thing off big-ass jumps and just acting like a space asshole. I loved it. I understood the hate, I guess, but I found it remarkably fun. They replaced it with mineral scanning in the second game. I never finished the second game. RELATED?
I liked it too, but I understand why some people didn't.

Meh, I didn't even like ME2 that much...but gaf does overreact a lot. I like Mass Effect for what it is. I thought ME2 improved in a ton of areas but fell flat in a ton of areas that made ME good. ME3 seems like a good combo...it remains to be seen.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm not sure how ME3 is going to wrap everything up in a satisfactory manner, it probably won't. As long as it keeps me entertained for the 40+ hours I play it, thats really all I care about. Dudebros, streamlining and whatever else can go suck a dick for all I care.

Vamphuntr

IndieJones said:

The guy.

I didn't like the mako side missions much. Especially the ones where you had to fight those geths and turrets. Fights would basically boil down to fire until the mako is about to blow up and use omni gel/wait until it's repaired to attack again. The one included in story missions were good I guess.

Ezalc

ME1 is fun, I'm the only one who liked Kaidan.
ME2 is alright, I enjoyed staring at Kasumi's ass.
ME3 is probably be underwhelming, I'd better be able to tap Kasumi's ass.

Grisby

Mass Effect 2 was better then 1!

With that said, I hope each character will still get some satisfying screen time. Like Miranda, Jacob, Thane, and co.

And give me a radio on the ship dammit so I know when a crew member wants talk. If I have to hear about calibrations one more time ima get biotic god on someones ass.

Wallach

Chairman Yang said:
People should complain less about Mass Effect 2 and more about Mass Effect 1. The latter game was broken, filled with bloat, had universally boring characters (except for Wrex and Ashley), re-used bland locations almost as much as Dragon Age 2, was mediocre at story and dialogue and downright bad at gameplay. It was a fundamentally dumbed-down game and a significant step down from Baldur's Gate 2.

ME2 had problems, sure, but the action was actually half-competent and the characters were infinitely more interesting. The writing was generally better (the Mordin Solus stuff was a clear standout) and the scenarios were less repetitive and more distinct. There were inconsistencies and retcons from the first game, sure, but who cares when the first game was so mediocre?

This is fairly close to how I view these two games. About the only thing I like about ME1 more is the overall story arc. Even if they didn't change the gameplay from ME2 at all (which I thought was vastly improved over the first game) and just told a better end to this story for ME3 it'll easily be the best game in the series.

Codeblue

I was hating (passively disliking) Mass Effect before it was cool.

Didn't really like the first one. Planet exploration was sleep inducing and there were only like two side missions that were replicated a billion times. I got Mass Effect 2 for free, but I can't bring myself to play it because of how boring the first game was.

Vamphuntr said:
Fights would basically boil down to fire until the mako is about to blow up and use omni gel/wait until it's repaired to attack again.

Someone doesn't know how to circle strafe or exploit the horrible enemy AI. :p

Replicant

The Paragon/Renegade thing is fucked up. Why am I being punished for not having enough Paragon points later on in the game? Who wants to say some of those Paragon dialogues when they sound kinda dumb?

Although to be fair, what's written on screen always end up sounding better when Shephard says it. It's like the guy who wrote the on-screen text didn't bother to check with the script or something.

Shepard

Actually I'm doing a full Renegade 2nd run. Playing through ME1 again is getting kinda bothersome, can't wait to get to part 2.
Some o ME3 tidbits are making me worried though: Hate Vegas design and the story speculation, like Tim motives to be against Shepard now are pretty bad :(

Wallach

Fimbulvetr said:
Someone doesn't know how to circle strafe or exploit the horrible enemy AI. :p

Yeah, the real answer is: drive forward and reverse repeatedly so the terrible AI can't ever hit you and snipe everything from 500 meters away with the cannon.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Wallach said:
This is fairly close to how I view these two games. About the only thing I like about ME1 more is the overall story arc. Even if they didn't change the gameplay from ME2 at all (which I thought was vastly improved over the first game) and just told a better end to this story for ME3 it'll easily be the best game in the series.

The overall plot in ME1 is better, ME2 was an odd sequel for sure but people on GAF only want to poke holes in the second game and ignore the bullshit from the first. Double standards, but hey, that video games.

kokujin

Banned
I just want my stat building.They can make all the characters all dudebros for all I care, as long all the RPG elements from 1 are back.

i kept getting stuck on the environments and having to restart so i gave up. ME1 and 2.

i wonder if they'll fix that for 3.

the actual stories i have wiped from my brain sorry.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Replicant said:
The Paragon/Renegade thing is fucked up. Why am I being punished for not having enough Paragon points later on in the game? Who wants to say some of those Paragon dialogues when they sound kinda dumb?

Although to be fair, what's written on screen always end up sounding better when Shephard says it. It's like the guy who wrote the on-screen text didn't bother to check with the script or something.
My problem was always that my Shepard is a manipulative, ruthless assassin, which usually means playing nice with the Paragon dialogue (do what you need to to make things as easy as possible) and Renegade in action.

Mass Effect 1 implies a thematic direction and approach to the material that Mass Effect 2 does not actualize.

The disagreement in the community about it all stems back to what the first game was able to suggest about the direction of the story, the presentation of the universe and the goal of the game in general. Which is to say it was a flawed, but good attempt to recapture the so-called "80's synth" feel of good soft sci-fi.

Mass Effect 1 suggested, via its narrative approach, world-building, and non-combat gameplay systems, a whole approach to sci-fi that is pretty goddamn discontinuous from the second game. That doesn't make Mass Effect 2 a bad game. It just has a much different, and much more shallow, focus.

To those gamers who were not invested in the implicit direction Mass Effect 1 seemed to point the series, Mass Effect 2 is the clearly better game. To those who were, Mass Effect 2 is a good game that very VERY clearly does not live up to what it could and should have been and is therefore nothing but a disappointment, no matter how "objectively" better it might be.

This should all be obvious by now, of course.

Deadbeat

Banned
Why cant I play with Wrex and Garrus as my side kicks again? They made the best team in Mass Effect 1. It has yet to be matched. If you arent going to allow this Bioware dont even make the fucking game.

Codeblue said:
Didn't really like the first one. Planet exploration was sleep inducing and there were only like two side missions that were replicated a billion times. I got Mass Effect 2 for free, but I can't bring myself to play it because of how boring the first game was.
Yes the planets were largely uninteresting. The level design itself for them is also terrible.

Personally my idea would have been to make each planet is own stand alone thing with a hub town of it's own. Each planet has its own main quest, but unique side-quests for each that deal with that planets own story. You know it would help expand and get you into the ME universe. I rather take that then a bunch of boring seemingly random side stuff in what seems like randomly generated areas.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Wallach said:
Yeah, the real answer is: drive forward and reverse repeatedly so the terrible AI can't ever hit you and snipe everything from 500 meters away with the cannon.
Correction, snipe until they're at low health, then get out and snipe on foot for full experience.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
I hate how BioWare is copping out on their original vision for Mass Effect. Instead of delivering a complex RPG with deep space and planet exploration elements (as they described the first Mass Effect and got relatively close to; just needed more planets to explore and more unique side stuff to do), they decided that was too hard to do and instead regressed significantly from that original vision.

Both games are still a significant cut above the norm, but if BioWare had fully committed to expanding on ME1 and reaching toward their original vision for the series instead of trimming and regressing from that design, ME2 could've been an unprecedented classic rather than an above-average shooter with an engaging story but with much of the complexity stripped away. ME3 seems to be moving even further in that direction, which is why I won't even consider buying it until their GOTY edition with all the DLC comes out.

After hearing BioWare's spin on the first game pre-launch, if you would tell me that the third game would be a linear shooter with turret sequences, I would have laughed you out of the building. I guess that's me expecting devs to try and build on their past successes rather than ignore them entirely.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I put 149 hours (multiple playthroughs) into ME2, I really enjoyed it or maybe I just got really OCD with planet scanning.

DTKT

I'm just worried regarding the level design. The on-rail sequence was awful considering that you were using a small machine gun to take down a Reaper.

I hope it's more than set-piece after set-piece.

As for the ending, it's going to be pretty terrible. No way around that.

truly101 said:
The overall plot in ME1 is better, ME2 was an odd sequel for sure but people on GAF only want to poke holes in the second game and ignore the bullshit from the first. Double standards, but hey, that video games.
There were more bugs, many environments were rehashed and the combat wasn't the best, but it was still better than the second imo. In a game like ME the plot is everything.

I loved exploring and learning about the universe, I liked many of the "boring" characters and I think the pacing was better than the second game.

It's all down to personal preference, obviously, but the reward for putting up with "bullshit" was much greater in the first game than it was in ME2.

Top Bottom