• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFWL Patches now update directly through Steam - ToS uproar solved!

1-D_FTW

So Dirt 3 just updated the newest Live patch directly through Steam. No more having to start the game, discover there's an update, and have Live go through it's multi-faceted update process in-game. Steam handles it all even though it's GFWL.

I think we can pretty much conclude this is part of the new ToS that's gotten EA games pulled. Speaking strictly for myself, I approve of this. Sure it'll mean certain publishers will boycott the service, but from a convenience POV, it sure is slick and convenient. And it ensures no more treasure hunts for downloading like what you'd see in Dragon Age: UO.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That's pretty neat. Wonder if that's retroactive to games before the ToS change or not? Probably not, I guess, but it'd be nice. I'd check, but I've already completed all my GFWL games that I purchased on Steam, so I'm not wasting hours downloading Kane and Lynch or RE5 to check :p

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Okay now I gotta know if this is retro active or not, and just what was worked out. This could be a big turning point for people in the Valve camp knocking off the GFWL argument in the Valve vs. EA thing IMO.

Lothars

Brettison said:
Okay now I gotta know if this is retro active or not, and just what was worked out. This could be a big turning point for people in the Valve camp knocking off the GFWL argument in the Valve vs. EA thing IMO.
I would also say it explains why EA is taking games off because they don't agree with the new TOS.

alphaNoid

Banned
Isn't GFWL brand dead? I mean, its going to become Xbox Live on Windows right? gamesforwindows.com already redirects you to a sub site on xbox.com. What I mean is the service is there, will be there, will be expanded by the name is going to change to Xbox Live, just like how it is on Windows Phones. Either way this is great news as the GFWL client was always kind of clunky and hasn't been rebuilt since its origination.

This was smart and probably sheds a bit of the stupid about GFWL in general.

wwm0nkey

alphaNoid said:
Isn't GFWL brand dead? I mean, its going to become Xbox Live on Windows right? gamesforwindows.com already redirects you to a sub site on xbox.com. Either way this is great news as the GFWL client was always kind of clunky and hasn't been rebuilt since its origination.

This was smart and probably sheds a bit of the stupid about GFWL in general.
I think when windows 8 hits we will see more "LIVE" branded games but no more GFWL since Windows 8 is shipping with Xbox Live.

Nabs

Phew. I hate the GFWL update process.

Now get the DLC on Steam plz. I'm not buying anything off the GFWL store.

Cool, wonder if the mmos on Steam will follow suit. Would be nice to have them autoupdate if you haven't played them in awhile, instead of being smacked in the face with a 1gb patch or something.

wwm0nkey

Actually it would be pretty cool if you could associate you Windows 8 with your gamertag so "LIVE" titles will just auto sign-in. I would welcome more LIVE enabled games if this was the case for Windows 8.

StuBurns

Banned
If this really is what EA are pissed about, I can see where they're coming from if it involves some sort of cert on Valve's end.

Nelo Ice

Banned
now back to wondering if i should get dead rising 2 retail for $10l since its gfwl or wait for the steam version to drop to $10

Omikron

StuBurns said:
If this really is what EA are pissed about, I can see where they're coming from if it involves some sort of cert on Valve's end.

You can also see were Valva are coming from in protecting their customers and themselves from backlash about some other 3rd party service not working properly with their steam purchased product.

Mrbob

After the horror I went through to update Bulletstorm through GFWL, I approve of this. Game kept on losing my Live profile after updating, and needed a reset to fix yet I couldn't get to an option to exit Bulletstorm from where I was stuck in GFWL. Thankfully after a couple force quits I got it to work.

Vanillalite

Omi said:
You can also see were Valva are coming from in protecting their customers and themselves from backlash about some other 3rd party service not working properly with their steam purchased product.

Yep. Unlike on consoles (outside of PSN and XBLA titles and the odd full game) Valve is the seller of all of these games which puts them in a unique position of dealing with backlash as the seller.

Makoto

TheOGB said:
Super Street Fighter IV AE slowly getting better(?)
Steam users had to wait for a while after the recent patch already hit GFWL.

I'd rather just update through GFWL if this means developers are just going to put Steam copies on a lower priority OR if Valve is going make the verification process much more longer for Steam users. Arcade Edition was evidence of one of those situations.

StuBurns

Banned
Omi said:
I certainly can.

Vanillalite

SneakyStephan said:
Really? they're going to try live AGAIN with windows 8 but this time they'll force it on people?
Just piss off MS.

Windows 8 is gonna have an app store so why wouldn't they use their existing system in terms of login? Who's to say if it's the same setup though.

If codemasters update the copy of dirt on steam it will update over that anyway, what makes this a confirmed ToS resolve exactly?

Section 8 does this also and that is a gfwl title, i'm sure another game does this too, if the developer uploads new files to steam and not just a gfwl title update.

1-D_FTW

Diablohead said:
If codemasters update the copy of dirt on steam it will update over that anyway, what makes this a confirmed ToS resolve exactly?

Section 8 does this also and that is a gfwl title, i'm sure another game does this too, if the developer uploads new files to steam and not just a gfwl title update.

Since when? Every other Codemaster GFWL title on Steam has forced me to get the patches through Live after booting the game. This is most definitely a dramatic change.

Brettison said:
Windows 8 is gonna have an app store so why wouldn't they use their existing system in terms of login? Who's to say if it's the same setup though.

I cringe at the thought of any of the gfwl or xbox live ui elements/design elements making it into an OS I use.

It's bad enough as it is with them shitting on the file/tool bars, hiding basic options many users need deep inside menu trees so the average dumbshit pleb wouldn't misuse it etc and making media player the most unintuitive, worthless media player in the history of pc.

Case in point:
GOM : http://www.abload.de/img/gomutilityc7pv.png
WMP : http://www.abload.de/img/clusterfuckmwpe7u3.png

The less I have to deal with MS's asinine UI s and software, the better.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Does this mean my games will automatically break themselves with GFWL updates now?

seriously, GFWL updates have fucked up at least two of the games I have before

Vanillalite

SneakyStephan said:
I cringe at the thought of any of the gfwl or xbox live ui elements/design elements to make it into an OS I use.

It's bad enough as it is with them shitting on the file/tool bars, hiding basic options many users need deep inside menu trees so the average dumbshit pleb wouldn't misuse it etc and making media player the most unintuitive, worthless media player in the history of pc.

I assume you haven't seen all of the pre release Windows 8 pics and stuff? I'm just asking because you'd know what it sort of already looks like. :p

Derrick01

Banned
EA is not pissed about this, it's merely an excuse they created so they can push Origin without looking like the dicks in this.

Yeah, they think people are that dumb not to notice.

Brettison said:
I assume you haven't seen all of the pre release Windows 8 pics and stuff?
Nope, feel free to link em:p
It's not really a concern of mine till they inevitably try to push 8 on me when they don't allow the next dx on older OS'es again.

Xabora

Zapperkhan said:
Cool, wonder if the mmos on Steam will follow suit. Would be nice to have them autoupdate if you haven't played them in awhile, instead of being smacked in the face with a 1gb patch or something.
Buy them on steam, download the client at the mmo's game site.

Diablohead said:

Dawn of War II, Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising, and Blacklight all did this too. Blacklight required a special patch through both Steam and Impulse because the game would stop working due to the patch through GFWL.

1-D_FTW said:
Since when? Every other Codemaster GFWL title on Steam has forced me to get the patches through Live after booting the game. This is most definitely a dramatic change.
section 8 isn't codies and that has ingame DLC not on steam, it's been there for months now so this reason for dirt 3 to update via steam is nothing to do with EA's problem.

1-D_FTW

GJS said:
Don't they usually do this? There are steam patch notes for other GFWL games in the past.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3535/

I always thought most of the patches GFWL makes you do were client updates, as they are usually pretty small.

WTF! I purchased Dirt 2 after all the releases were done. But with Codemasters F1 2010, I bought at release, had horrible technical issues that made me run it on XP and 7 (and installed multiple times as a result) and must have downloaded the patches half a dozen times through Live.

Maybe it isn't new, but it's first time I've ever encountered it. I've always assumed all the updates for GFWL titles were done through the Live client.

EA Marketing Meeting: "Quick, think of another reason to pull our games!"

Edit: EA Meeting: "Wait, our current "reason" might be safe." "Phew, that was close! I was having a hard time coming up with anything else."

Makes me happy, having everything update in the background on Steam.

Was it GTA IV on Steam that made you first log into GFWL, then Rockstar Social Club? No more of that, please.

Top Bottom