• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This year is the Best since 2008?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Is this the best year for a gamer this generation since 2007? Honestly with so many awesome games that have come out and the rest that haven't come yet, I feel like starting with next week, DX:HR, the rest of the year is going to be absolute insanity. Half of us probably won't have the cash to fork over for these games and this year's games will probably continue into the next year if we don't have time or the money. What do you all think?

EDITED: Sorry, I did get the year wrong. My bad.

I agree. All I really need is Gears of War 3 injected into my veins but I know I'm going to be buying at least 10 other games before the year is over.

BurningNad

It's hard not to get excited for all these games this fall. All I can do is hope they live up to the hype. If they do, then yeah, it very well could be the best since 2008.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
2008 was not that good of a year. I think the last really great year was probably 2004, and yeah, this is probably going to better that since we've gotten a surprising number of genuinely original games and a lot of good stuff, as well.

Now, will it surpass 1998? That's a lot tougher to answer. But this is the first year of this gen of consoles that's actually been good. Only took us 5-6 years...

_dementia said:
I think OP means 2007
That's what I was thinking.

We'll know for certain once november rolls around.
I'm not as excited as I should be
$$$
, but I'm always up for more uncharted/zelda.

The best year since last year.

Every year we get this impression, though. And we're not short of arguments to back it up, also: we've seen amazing games this year (Witcher 2 alone makes this year special).

And the best is yet to come: Uncharted 3, Trackmania 2, Gears 3, Skyrim, ICO/SotC hd, Forza 4, Red Orchestra 2, etc.

For our wallet, it's the worst day since yesterday already.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Yeah 2008 was actually pretty bad...

2007 however was probably the best year this gen.

Halo 3
CoD4: Modern Warfare
Mass Effect
Bioshock
Crysis
Uncharted
Assassins Creed
Portal
HL2: Episode 2
Team Fortress 2
etc.

Edit: Almost forgot, thanks stuburns.

Radec

_Alkaline_ said:
2008 was good?

konami_metal_gear_solid_4_inline_617x347.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
BigTnaples said:
Yeah 2008 was actually pretty bad...

2007 however was probably the best year this gen.

Halo 3
CoD4: Modern Warfare
Mass Effect
Bioshock
Crysis
Assassins Creed
etc.
Portal and EP2 too.

TF2 for people that way inclined.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Probably digitally for me only.

I'm looking forward to next year more because of:

Final Fantasy XIII-2 - January
Silent Hill Collection
Tales of Graces f
The Last Guardian (?)
Dragon's Crown

StuBurns

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
I think that Mario Galaxy game also came out that year but it came out on an embarassing system with hardly any good games.
Sure did, a rare exception to the awful Wii line up, nice.

V_Arnold

We should probably realize DA CYCLE though, 98+3->2001+3->2004+3->2007+3->2010.
All awesome godlike years in gaming

Next one is...2013. Or simply any year when Diablo 3 gets released.

bluestuff

_dementia said:
Pokemon games.
avatar quotes being removed is one of the worst things to happen to gaf :(

anyway this year has been damm great so far.

Portal 2
Witcher 2
Bastion
Bullestorm
Dead Space 2

All top tier games, each showcasing some of the best of each respective genre. Also winter is coming.

Dunan

No love for 2000 -- Square's "Summer of Adventure" and all those great RPGs? Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, and FF9?

For me the best year was 2010: Nier was amazing, Assassin's Creed 2 is perhaps my favorite game, and (since I only got my PS3 that year and there was thus a big backlog waiting) I also played Valkyria Chronicles for the first time (plus VC2 on the PSP). Even the games that I liked but didn't love -- Bioshock, FF13, AC1 -- were worth my time.

And Tactics Ogre on the PSP!

Yeah, my vote goes to 2010.

Top Bottom