• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone else holding out for a redesigned Vita hardware?

I've seen folks throughout GAF claim that they're "Waiting on the redesign" in reference to the 3DS, but I've seen few say the same for the Vita.

For reference, I've owned every model of the PSP, starting with the 1000 series that I bought in early 2007, to the 2000 at its release and the 3000 at the release of the Assassin's Creed bundle, and I love the damn thing. Great hardware, great games, great experience.

But I never found it held up to the name "portable"...that is, until the PSP Go came along.

The PSP Go did everything right in terms of hardware size and design. It was the perfect size to slide into your pocket and take with you everywhere, which is something the "normal" PSPs always suffered with...the thing was just too damn big to bring with you, especially if you used a case of some kind.

So now the Vita comes along, and it looks like the new hot shit, bringing the hardware and software out of the gate swinging...but wait...

Size Comparison of DS and PSP models

...you mean to tell me that the thing is BIGGER than the PSP is; a piece of hardware that already had a hard time calling itself portable with a straight face. What a bummer.

Here's hoping Sony can get out something closer to the PSP Go in size in the near future.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
PSP Go came 4 years after PSP.

so you can wait 4 years for your redesign.

Now the Vita is no longer a "portable." It is a way of life, and living life big is what its all about!

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind it being big. The point of Vita is to give a console quality experience on a handheld, in my opinion.

That said, I can smell a 3D version from kilometers away :)

TommyT

I really do have a hard time buying the first generation of things. Sadly, it usually pays off to wait. I've never owned a PSP... but I've always wanted one. The Vita if it does what they say it can (and after a few months of proving it) will probably be one of the first pieces of hardware I've bought in it's first generation of production while it's still in production.

Smaller is not necessarily better.

The DSi XL, for example, is the greatest handheld gaming console ever made. Its magnificent. I can't go back to smaller, less clear screens, one reason among many that I've avoided the 3DS.

Vita looks like an appropriate size.

StuBurns

Banned
It looks perfect as it is.

The first PSP was rough, but ultimately the best PSP is the MonHon one, which went back to larger than the PSP-2000.

Brannon

I'll definitely wait for the first minor revision. Unless the launch model has TV-out of some kind. That would be ace.

Dreams...

Paracelsus

Other than size there's nothing wrong with PSV (unless it gets its own RROD). Considering 101% of time I'm gonna play it at home, the answer is no.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
No. I actually like the heft of the 1000. Everything after felt kind of cheap. This is coming from a guy that played portable games at home though.

WillyFive

The Vita could use a little size adjustment, and maybe do something about those analog sticks sticking out (maybe make them like slide pads), but it's nothing that couldn't be fixed before it launches.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I mean, I'd like a TV out on the thing, but I'm sure there'll be some way to get that down the road.

And I want the thing too damn much to wait for a revised piece of hardware that might not come out for years.

Oppo

I doubt it'll get much smaller in width and height. it'll get thinner and lighter. so... no. Vita is lighter than you probably think even in it's first rev.

I find the heft is the real issue.

Niks

AbsoluteZero said:
I've seen folks throughout GAF claim that they're "Waiting on the redesign" in reference to the 3DS, but I've seen few say the same for the Vita.

You are not fooling anyone buddy.

StuBurns

Banned
Willy105 said:
The Vita could use a little size adjustment, and maybe do something about those analog sticks sticking out (maybe make them like slide pads), but it's nothing that couldn't be fixed before it launches.
What you called fixed, I call fuck awful.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wouldn't mind the option of a smaller version, but Vita is beautiful as it is and takes full advantage of its size...so I certainly wouldn't 'hold out' for one.

There's no reason to hold out.

Either way, I never buy the first run of anything, ever since the Xbox360 came out.
Wait a year or so -> discount -> profit.

JVIDICAN

I'm not too worried. I can't see anything major getting added in later revisions aside from the obvious slimming of the hardware. Unless of course Sony suddenly decides that they need a third analogue stick, or something crazy like that. :/

AbsoluteZero said:
Read the opening post. It's too damn big.

Got it. That's not really redesign as next years 3DS redesign which fixes critical flaws. That's waiting for the technology to advance and miniaturize. Nobody would wait that long.

WillyFive

StuBurns said:
What you called fixed, I call fuck awful.

Portables should be portable, especially if they have to compete with other devices in your pocket. Even if it goes the DSi XL route, those analog sticks would still be a problem in a purse or pocket.

Shtof

AbsoluteZero said:
Read the opening post. It's too damn big.
Vita is the perfect size. No one wants to carry it in the pocket anyway. That's what you got a smartphone for.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
i'm hoping for a slider design sometime in the future but I don't want to sacrifice my vita cards for it

Gomu Gomu

Since "Portability" is not my priority in handheld gaming devices, no, I will not hold for a redesign. The thing looks too sexy. And based on what I heard, it's screen is magnificent, and it feels good when you hold it.

StuBurns

Banned
Willy105 said:
Portables should be portable, especially if they have to compete with other devices in your pocket.
It's not nailed to the floor, it's portable, it's not a good fit for someone's pocket, but neither is the PSP or the DS.

kadotsu

Banned
The Vita right now is without major flaws. I will get it day 1. But I would like a SKU that follows the MHPSP design. A bit bigger with better battery and concave sticks.

slider

I won't wait. But I haven't had any hands on time with a Vita so it may drive me crazy with its size when I get it. But that is the way I live.

Aeana

I'll just wait until it has the games I want instead of buying on potential. Always a huge mistake.
If that happens to be near when a revision is coming out, so be it.

Top Bottom