• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We all know that the metric system is superior, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about date?

Why do Americans use month/day/year? It doesn't make any sense.

It should be in order. Days are first, then months, then years. It is the only logical way. You guys only create confusion.

Fernando Rocker said:
What about date?

It should be in order. Days are first, then months, then years. It is the only logical way. You guys only create confusion.

When you say the date out loud, how do you say it?

I always say Month, Day and Year in that order. I prefer the US system in this case.

Zeppu

I was born on the 20th of March 1984. That's the correct way after all.

Would it make sense if I told anyone the time is 16hrs 45 seconds and 2 minutes?

Dead Man

DoctorWho said:

I always say Month, Day and Year in that order. I prefer the US system in this case.
26th of September, 2011.

American way makes no sense UNLESS you say it the way Americans do.

Year/Month/Day makes just as much sense (descending order instead of ascending), but I agree that the American system is stupid. They will say something like "because you say June the sixth, not six june!" or something. Which is of course silly, since "6th of June" is just as used. The fact that Americans are so fond of reading it out as Month/Day/Year is because that is how they right it, not the other way around.

Majine

Banned
I prefer Year, Month, Day. When you start reading it, you can go "Oh, well this was last year" and if it's irrelevant at that point, stop reading it.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
MMDDYY makes the most sense, I especially hate trying to figure out what the date is on websites where they don't state which format they use, and it's something like 04/07/11

Is it April 7, or July 4?

Azih

Day/Month/Year is way better.

But thankfully this is becoming moot. The new hotness is Year/Month/Day as that shit sorts correctly even alphabetically.

DoctorWho said:

Well... in Spanish we say the day first, then the month. But still, it doesn't make sense the way you guys write the dates. It isn't following any logical order.

Tacitus_

DoctorWho said:

I say it Day Month Year when speaking finnish but flip it to Month Day when I'm speaking english. Americans corrupt the damn language.

Jb

DoctorWho said:

Well we always say it in the d/m/y order here.
Plus it makes more sense.

Dead Man

DrEvil said:
MMDDYY makes the most sense, I especially hate trying to figure out what the date is on websites where they don't state which format they use, and it's something like 04/07/11

Why?

Menelaus

Banned
It doesn't make any sense to say the day first to me. Think of date systems like a map. Which would you want to know first, the street you were going to, or the exact number of the building?

Piecake

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Year/Month/Day makes just as much sense (descending order instead of ascending), but I agree that the American system is stupid. They will say something like "because you say June the sixth, not six june!" or something. Which is of course silly, since "6th of June" is just as used. The fact that Americans are so fond of reading it out as Month/Day/Year is because that is how they right it, not the other way around.

who says June the sixth? I just go with June Sixth

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Menelaus said:
It doesn't make any sense to say the day first to me. Think of date systems like a map. Which would you want to know first, the street you were going to, or the exact number of the building?

City > Street > Number

So YYMMDD again.

max-pain

Fernando Rocker said:
What about date?

and seconds are first, then minutes, then hours... :p

Derrick01

Banned
Because when we won the war we decided that we would do something edgy and crazy just to rub it in the faces of the British and piss them off.

Probably...

Somnid

Actually it should be year, month, day because when the hell do you ever have significant digits on the right side, but whatever.

I can't be the only one who sees this entire debate as a desperate, sad attempt for people to make themselves feel superior about which type of date system they use, can I?

Zeppu

DMPrince said:
MM/DD/YYYY is the only way. looks better on paper anyways.

What papers? Why does 01/02/11 look better than 02/01/11? Also, why does Jan-11-12 look any better than 12-Jan-11?

DrEvil said:

It makes the most sense of Americans and pretty much no one else. There is no reason why one should mix the order of the digits from anything other than either descending or ascending. YYYYMMDD makes the most sense because it's automatically sortable but putting month before date is the equivalent of saying something is 4km 5mm and 48 cm. The order just doesn't make any sense.

DrEvil said:
Because you say it as April 7, 2011.

Makes sense that the numbered format reflects it.

Because you say April 7, 2011. We don't say that shit.

sammich

Yet why to Amercian's usually say 4th of July instead of July 4th if it is MM/DD/YYYY? I grew up using DD/MM/YYYY. It just gets damn confusing sometimes.

Kurtofan

Menelaus said:
But nobody says Whatever Street,12.
People says 12,Whatever Street.
So DD/MM/YYYY.

You get both informations anyway, might as well have them in the correct order.

CPS2

Regulus Tera said:
Year/Month/Day is the best for archiving purposes.
Yeah that's the easiest way to sort something by name on a computer. Any other format puts all the files out of order.

Natetan

Oh, and the first floor is the ground floor. None of this zero floor, lobby floor but the second floor is actually the first floor business. get it right europeans!

YYYY/MM/DD makes the most sense for a short written format. It's not ambiguous like YY/MM/DD or MM/DD/YY or DD/MM/YY.

Month Day Year only works as a long format.

Kurtofan

Natetan said:
Oh, and the first floor is the ground floor. None of this zero floor, lobby floor but the second floor is actually the first floor business. get it right europeans!

In France we have the Ground Floor, it's called Rez-de-chaussée.

Tntnnbltn

DD-MM-YYYY and YYYY-MM-DD both have valid and logical reasons for existance.

MM-DD-YYYY does not.

ckohler said:
This. Works with or without slashes. 20110926 is less than 20110927, for example.
Fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom