• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We all know that the metric system is superior, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroGravity

MM/DD/YY

Saying September 26th sounds far less awkward than 26th of September, not to mention it removes the unnecessary 'of'.

meadowrag

Banned
I'll try, this is how I think of it.
mmddyyyy is in terms of relevant information.
Year is obviously last because it is the quantity that changes the slowest, you don't need to be updated on what year it is all the time.

Month is first because it gives you a good starting foundation for which to reference the day.
There are only 12 months, while there can be upwards of 30 days. So, it's better to start off by knnowing the month than it is by knowing the day. The month number is a larger chunk of information.

Kind of like how when you are putting together a jigsaw puzzle, you start by constructing the frame.

Ultimately you read all 8 numbers in half a second so it really doesn't matter either way. But I wouldn't call mmddyyyy illogical. Makes perfect sense to me, just can't explain it very well.

explodet

I always use YYYY/MM/DD when writing down dates, because nobody has ever used YYYY/DD/MM as a standard.

It removes almost any chance of confusion.

orion434

I loaded my Armored Core: For Answer save file and I had no idea when I last played?

09/04/10... is it September 4th 2010? April 9th 2010? I think it was actually April 10th 2009... I had to look at my Achievements to find out.

Kurtofan

Natetan said:
and your first floor is the second floor! NO!
Yes, think of the Ground Floor as a Zero floor, which makes sense since underground floors have negative numbers(-1,-2 etc...)

Zeppu

EskimoJoe said:
12 months.
~30 days.
2000+ years.

MM/DD/YYYY does go from smallest to biggest.

That's going from the smallest to the biggest range. Was it YYMMDD in from 1-11AD and then MMYYDD from 13-27AD?

ZeroGravity said:
MM/DD/YY

Saying September 26th sounds far less awkward than 26th of September, not to mention it removes the unnecessary 'of'.

26th September is equally acceptable. It sounds awkward in the same fashion it sounds awkward when you use fanny to refer to butts. Because you've been using it wrong for too long to realize.

Davidion

NotebookJ2 said:
I can't be the only one who sees this entire debate as a desperate, sad attempt for people to make themselves feel superior about which type of date system they use, can I?

But of course that's what it is.

From a linguistics perspective, there's no particular reason to use a strict scalar order to refer to dates and time when the goal is to communicate the significance of time. In terms of signifying dates, the date alone is often pointless due to the frequency of recurrence and so the month is almost always necessary for clarification, which when extended the other way makes noting the year typically unnecessary, which is why it's noted last. The "logic" is based around common usage, not some arbitrary scale.

There's no particular reason why either noting the date nor month first is any more wrong than the other. Any insistence to the contrary usually results from the need for mental masturbation and not actually expending brain cells to think about why people use vernacular the way they do. But heaven forbids we think about something before taking a viewpoint, it's such a typically dumb Amer...oh wait.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
YY/MM/DD makes the most sense to me.

I'm must be the only person who has no trouble discerning dates of any format.

This must be some conspiracy.

Yes, that's right. I'm the only one who can stop this entire fight! Ha ha...

You'll never get me! I'll never fall into your system of false superiority!

The truth will win out one day...

I will destroy this system and everyone will be free! Free I tell you!

There's no particular reason why either noting the date nor month first is any more wrong than the other. Any insistence to the contrary usually results from the need for mental masturbation and not actually expending brain cells to think about why people use vernacular the way they do. But heaven forbids we think about something before taking a viewpoint, it's such a typically dumb Amer...oh wait.

See, the problem I have with this entire debate is that in all of my years of being on the internet, I have never seen this topic used for anything more than America-bashing. Now I'm hardly the one person to defend America or whatever but good lord if you're going to claim superiority over something there are other, much better areas to do it.

I've never seen anything good come out of this entire debate.

Natetan

i work for a british company acquired by an american one. i prevent confusion by writing the month as a word.

I'll admit i'm not a fan of dd/yy. The day is irrelevant until you here the month. every time someone says something dd/mm/yy. I always have to ask the dd again because im waiting for the month to come so i can narrow down what they're talking about.

MNC

DoctorWho said:
When you say the date out loud, how do you say it?

I always say Month, Day and Year in that order. I prefer the US system in this case.

30 Maart, 2010.

Day Month Year. :)

NotebookJ2 said:
I'm must be the only person who has no trouble discerning dates of any format.

This must be some conspiracy.

Yes, that's right. I'm the only one who can stop this entire fight! Ha ha...

You'll never get me! I'll never fall into your system of false superiority!

The truth will win out one day...

I will destroy this system and everyone will be free! Free I tell you!

then you must provide a new topic of discussion for these fine people.

Log4Girlz

Fernando Rocker said:
You read the thread.

Yep. The order of representing dates is incredibly unimportant. I believe America chose the system it was comfortable with arbitrarily and we function absolutely fine with it, because ultimately it doesn't matter. Its like the ground floor, 1st floor thing...American elevators have a star on the 1st floor to indicate its really just the ground floor IIRC.

Zzoram

I'm in the YYYY/MM/DD camp. With The ever growing importance of digital archiving, it makes sense to use what works best in computer file systems.

reggie

Banned
Log4Girlz said:
Yep. The order of representing dates is incredibly unimportant. I believe America chose the system it was comfortable with arbitrarily and we function absolutely fine with it, because ultimately it doesn't matter. Its like the ground floor, 1st floor thing...American elevators have a star on the 1st floor to indicate its really just the ground floor IIRC.
The amount of time wasted on figuring out if its dd/mm or mm/dd isn't arbitary.

Natetan

lupinko said:
I go with science and that's YYYY/MM/DD.

japanese write it this way 23年9月26日

unfortunately they like to use the imperial calender rather than the gregorian calender. It sucks. you'll read about something in year 18, so you're like 'uuuuh, ok that was 23-18=5 years ago so thats 2011-5=2006.' blah

Davidion

NotebookJ2 said:
See, the problem I have with this entire debate is that in all of my years of being on the internet, I have never seen this topic used for anything more than America-bashing. Now I'm hardly the one person to defend America or whatever but good lord if you're going to claim superiority over something there are other, much better areas to do it.

I've never seen anything good come out of this entire debate.

Yup.

Say it with me: Mental, masturbation.

Jasconius

Somnid said:
Actually it should be year, month, day because when the hell do you ever have significant digits on the right side, but whatever.
This this this! I don't mind when people say the American system is dumb because I'm not too fond of it, but the logical way to go is definitely this. I use it whenever I have a choice.

Orayn

MM/DD/YYYY may introduce confusion, but it doesn't come out of nowhere - It reflects the way much of the English-speaking world will often pronounce a specific date, I.E. "Month Xth."

But yeah, totally arbitrary and not worth getting in a huff about. This concerns me about as much as the people who think pi is "wrong" and want to replace it with a new constant, tau, which is equal to... 2 pi. Yes, using pi is somewhat less intuitive than using tau to some people, but it's a mental adjustment that takes a fraction of a second and shouldn't be a serious concern to anyone.

I always find it funny when Americans use the "how do you say it" argument since they seem quite happy with saying the 4th of July instead of July 4th. And what if the same argument was applied to the time? If I say that 5:35 is "twenty-five to six" should I write it as
-25:6 or something?

Zeppu

900px-Date_format_by_country.svg.png

s8QUU.png

Well who would've thought, huh?

Kurtofan said:
But nobody says Whatever Street,12.
People says 12,Whatever Street.
So DD/MM/YYYY.

You get both informations anyway, might as well have them in the correct order.

Actually that's an American thing as well. Here we say the street first, then the number.

So I guess it should be either dd/mm/yyyy and number, street or mm/dd/yyyy and street, number. So essentially everyone is a hipocrite and no one gets it right.

It is a direct notation of how we format the date in casual conversation.

We don't separate the day and month with a preposition during normal conversation.

26th of September - why is that 'of' needed when you can simply say September 26th.

When used in full we put a comma between the date and year.

September 26th, 2011

I personally, find the of pointless. And its bad composition to use pointless words.

nomster

crazygambit said:
Actually that's an American thing as well. Here we say the street first, then the number.

So I guess it should be either dd/mm/yyyy and number, street or mm/dd/yyyy and street, number. So essentially everyone is a hipocrite and no one gets it right.
? Maybe I misunderstand, but Americans say "123 Fake street," not "Fakestreet 123"

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Outside an ordered list, MM/DD/YYYY is the same as YYYY/MM/DD but with the year put at the end so it reads better in English.

DoctorWho said:
When you say the date out loud, how do you say it?

I always say Month, Day and Year in that order. I prefer the US system in this case.
In some other languages, such as german, you say "three-and-fourty" for 43, does that mean we should write it the same way we pronounce it, i.e. 340?
Of course not, how you say stuff with numbers has nothing to do with how you write it.
Also, you can say twenty-sixth of september, two-thousand eleven. Just like any sensible person would write it.

Dead Man

Harry Dresden said:
It is a direct notation of how we format the date in casual conversation.

We don't separate the day and month with a preposition during normal conversation.

26th of September - why is that 'of' needed when you can simply say September 26th.

When used in full we put a comma between the date and year.

September 26th, 2011

I personally, find the of pointless. And its bad composition to use pointless words.
26th September is just as valid. WHAT NOW!?

Dragon

Banned
Yeah there's a reason most databases use a variant of YYYY-MM-DD. It's easier for sorting. Anyway most people are going to prefer what they're used to.

nomster said:
? Maybe I misunderstand, but Americans say "123 Fake street," not "Fakestreet 123"

Exactly. In my country we say Fakestreet 123 AND use DD/MM/YYYY which doesn't make any sense IMO. Americans do the exact opposite which also doesn't make much sense.

Orayn

Dead Man said:
26th September is just as valid. WHAT NOW!?
It is just as valid, but *GASP* less common in America. That almost... Lines up with Americans' use of DD/MM/YYYY.

This thread really, really reminds me of people in math/science classes who don't want to admit when something is totally arbitrary and take great pride in wasting class time complaining about how one form of notation is intuitively "wrong" when it makes no difference in practice.

Zeppu

Hitokage said:
Outside an ordered list, MM/DD/YYYY is the same as YYYY/MM/DD but with the year put at the end so it reads better in English.

No it isn't. With YYYYMMDD you have an order. It's the most significant item, followed by the next, all the way down to the smallest. This is common for pretty much all representation of data in any other context. When you flip it to DDMMYYYY you are reversing the items but still keeping the order. Messing shit around doesn't count as being the same. The only way your argument would be valid if the US used YYYY/MM/DD as their standard format and shortened it to MM/DD for convenience.

Kinyou said:
Forget the dates, let's talk about the a.m. p.m. bullshit!

23:30 > 11:30 p.m.

Don't get me started. Military time ftw.

electroshockwave said:
I always find it funny when Americans use the "how do you say it" argument since they seem quite happy with saying the 4th of July instead of July 4th. And what if the same argument was applied to the time? If I say that 5:35 is "twenty-five to six" should I write it as
-25:6 or something?

Thank you. I love you yanks, but when it comes to dates you guys a fucked in the head.

Orayn said:
This thread really, really reminds me of people in math/science classes who don't want to admit when something is totally arbitrary and take great pride in wasting class time complaining about how one form of notation is intuitively "wrong" when it makes no difference in practice.
Ooh new pointless debate: maths vs math!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
maths: mathematics
math: arithmetic

it made sense to me as a ten year-old, although upon closer inspection this doesn't make much sense.

Natetan

Kinyou said:
Forget the dates, let's talk about the a.m. p.m. bullshit!

http://www.halogen-control.de/html/produkte/Leuchtuhren/Bilder/LED_Wecker.jpg[IMG]

23:30 > 11:30 p.m.[/QUOTE]

i agree. i was writing out flight times for my American family, and starting writing it out in 24 hour clock, but I knew it would confuse them, like accidently reading 16:40 as 6:40, and then having to deal with 'who writes that way GOD' stuff.

it's math, and it's sportSSS not sport. and you go to *A* hospital, you don't go to hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom